Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

A high school OL/OC told me awhile back that as a fan it didn't bother him at all that he's playing DL, because it keeps him from learning bad habits that he'll have to unlearn in college 

That’s an interesting point, and it’s amusing to be coming from a high school OL coach, because it seemingly speaks poorly of high school OL coaches.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Want to say I saw an article not to long ago saying Byrd was going back to OL this year.

There was a DMN/DCTF article about him a few days ago where Reginald Samples is quoted saying he’ll be moving back to OL this year. Also the kid is originally from Georgia and moved to Dallas in 8th grade because of gang violence and his brother being shot. 

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Other than Tommy Brockermeyer, Donavan Jackson, and I guess Foster, is the OL crop in Texas really all that good?   The thought at one point was the 2021 class was going to be so loaded, but then supposed 5 star Byrd plays DT and just looks ok, Fatheree trends from future 5 star to “hope he’s not a stiff” with nobody other than aggy really pushing hard, etc.  

If it’s just staff laziness or arrogance keeping offers from going out, that’s obviously a problem, as is screwing up the Brockermeyers if that happens.  But I think I could see a legitimate argument for waiting to evaluate late risers this year, especially since we didn’t get the benefit of camps.  Someone like Hookfin or Christian Jones usually emerges, and I’d probably rather have that than some of the guys who started getting hyped as freshmen and sophomores in this class.

RB recruiting, on the other hand, is a complete joke.  Drayton better land Wheaton or Johnson.  A RB coach who only recruits 5 players a year and doesn’t help recruit other positions is unconscionable.  And frankly, while I hope I’m wrong, I think Brooks is the most questionable take at any position since Herman’s transition class, so I am viewing RB1 and RB2 both as a problem right now.

There's pretty good quality at the top, compared to previous years. Here's the composite in-state rankings of the top 5 OL:

2019 - 1, 9, 20, 31, 34

2020 - 12, 14, 23, 28, 35

2021 - 1, 3, 5, 8, 23

Tommy Brock and Jackson are both elite, and Byrd is seen as having an elite ceiling. I personally think Foster at #8 is a little overrated, but he heads up a pretty nice 2nd tier of guys.

Doing research for this post, I just now realized that Jackson is from Bellaire Episcopal. Man, recruiting that school has been ROUGH for us.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Doing research for this post, I just now realized that Jackson is from Bellaire Episcopal. Man, recruiting that school has been ROUGH for us.

Decent chance they have three players taken in the first round of next year's draft. Not sure if that's ever happened before. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Is it known that Byrd is definitely going to college at OL? Maybe he just strongly prefers DT or something and SMU is telling him what he wants to hear.

I don't know how good he is at OT because I haven't seen him play there,  but I have seen him play DT and he was not dominate when I saw him.  Not 5* calibre by any means.  

He sure looks the part physically and might end up being great,  but it looks to me like he has a way to go to be a 5*. 

Edited by Laga4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

hole blow GIF

Yeah I’m going to need to buy one of these.  Does it have a name?  Really don’t want to google guy bend over blowing bubbles out of his ass.  I’m afraid of what the search results will be.  NTTIAWWT.  

Edited by stork642

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

But I think I could see a legitimate argument for waiting to evaluate late risers this year, especially since we didn’t get the benefit of camps.  Someone like Hookfin or Christian Jones usually emerges, and I’d probably rather have that than some of the guys who started getting hyped as freshmen and sophomores in this class.

mackbrowntv.jpg

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Byrd's 5* ranking was too high -- it was a lot about frame, projection, and athletic upside with his ability to shine in a camp setting. Watch Ducanville though - Early is freaking fantastic and Williams is a damn mauler. I can easily see Byrd being a legitimate 4* OT talent and still not getting reps over either of them. Perhaps this year he moves back to OL, I certainly could see him playing RT with Williams at RG. 

Honestly that is an incredible trio of guys to have on one OL. David Ash would still be alive today if he had those 3 guys. 

247's database has about a dozen Duncanville kids at 6'4 and above. That team is going to be a problem again. 

41 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I don't know how good he is at OT because I haven't seen him play there,  but I have seen him play DT and he was not dominate when I saw him.  Not 5* calibre by any means.  

He sure looks the part physically and might end up being great,  but it looks to me like he has a way to go to be a 5*. 

Maybe watch him at OT? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Decent chance they have three players taken in the first round of next year's draft. Not sure if that's ever happened before. 

Little is going to have to have a fully healthy season and not look average in a lot of games to get his momentum as a 1st round pick back. At this point is Marvin Wilson even going to play his final year at FSU?

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Little is going to have to have a fully healthy season and not look average in a lot of games to get his momentum as a 1st round pick back. At this point is Marvin Wilson even going to play his final year at FSU?

Yeah, Norvell smoothed over his fuckup, Wilson will play.

i was able to copy the tweet he was responding too since Tunmise  deleted it;

I’ve been tryna schedule last years national champs for months them boys ducking action that’s not the Houston way @Dematrius09 twitter.com/haydenconner/s…

Mukuba, Princely, Parr.. all commenting with laughing emoji's

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

i was able to copy the tweet he was responding too since Tunmise  deleted it;

I’ve been tryna schedule last years national champs for months them boys ducking action that’s not the Houston way @Dematrius09 twitter.com/haydenconner/s…

Mukuba, Princely, Parr.. all commenting with laughing emoji's

That about De la Salle cancelling their game w North Shore?

28 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

i think it was about img? that's where tunmise transferred to no?

Yeah, all the Texas players were giving Tunmise shit because now that he’s transferred to IMG, who recruits nationally, he’s trying to schedule games with all these Texas public HS, who only recruit within their state. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Excellent choice. 22-26 were prime poon slaying years and I can’t even punt worth a shit

The jump from trainee coal miner in Aussie Pittsburgh to Texas football starter in Austin is probably going to work out pretty pretty good for him.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Jeez, this kid is already college ready.  I've been saying it from Day 1, he's a better version of D'Shawn Jamison... and I'm a huge Jamison fan!  I expect him to compete at nickel, corner, punt/kick off return, and also provide depth at WR if needed.  24/7 is slowly bumping his rating to 5 star status so they don't look like idiots for his initial lower ranking.  His tape is unreal at so many positions in a competitive district.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I will be the first to admit when I am wrong. I was totally off on Tunmise.  I went by the information he was giving my son.  His ego is completely out of control.  He has a group of “influencers” that are telling him he’s the 2nd coming of Chase Young.  I don’t see it.  I think he will be a good player but I don’t see a 10 year NFL starter.  He’s turned his back on all his friends in Texas and bought in to the hype he was sold on.  Watch his tweets.....he doesn’t retweet anything about Jalen or his core group of friends in Katy.  It’s all about him.  It’s sad that he went this route.  I actually feel sorry for him that he couldn’t figure it out.  I just hope we get to play against him in the playoffs and we stomp their ass so he can walk off the field with an L from his friends and the state he shit on.  

I admit I was wrong. 

*shat. It’s past tense. Unless you wanted to switch it up to present active in which case you’d go with “the is shitting on.”

3 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I will be the first to admit when I am wrong. I was totally off on Tunmise.  I went by the information he was giving my son.  His ego is completely out of control.  He has a group of “influencers” that are telling him he’s the 2nd coming of Chase Young.  I don’t see it.  I think he will be a good player but I don’t see a 10 year NFL starter.  He’s turned his back on all his friends in Texas and bought in to the hype he was sold on.  Watch his tweets.....he doesn’t retweet anything about Jalen or his core group of friends in Katy.  It’s all about him.  It’s sad that he went this route.  I actually feel sorry for him that he couldn’t figure it out.  I just hope we get to play against him in the playoffs and we stomp their ass so he can walk off the field with an L from his friends and the state he shit on.  

I admit I was wrong. 

Willing to admit he also has his hand out at the schools that are the usual suspects?

12 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I admit I was wrong. 

Wait, you couldn’t reliably predict the decisions on a 18yr old?  You bastard!

16 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I admit I was wrong. 

Sorry, I've been lurking on here for 5 years and wasn't aware that is allowed.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I admit I was wrong. 

There are other kids who coaches, teammates, recruiting analysts, etc liked at first who then had a personality change once they blew up. Daylon Mack comes to mind. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I don't get it. Why would Tunmise have anything to do with who IMG plays? They have a fucking suggestion box in the locker room or something?

They've played Texas teams before, and HS coaches didn't like it. I'm sure he wants to continue to be a shitface and beat a Texas team now to validate his decision and earn some kind of bragging rights, because he's a self-involved fuckface. Maybe his parents would like to see their son play a game his senior year. Fuck if I know, the only thing I can say with certainty is he's a piece of shit. 

• Like 4