Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Maybe because there was a report of Ketron Jackson trending away from Texas.  

I had kind of interpreted that stuff as Texas slowing it down with Ketron, not vice-versa. The reasoning being early returns on Omiere (sad face) and things looking rosy for '22 all of a sudden.

This offer does kinda suggest that maybe Ketron isn't quite ready for the calculator like we thought.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

I had kind of interpreted that stuff as Texas slowing it down with Ketron, not vice-versa. The reasoning being early returns on Omiere (sad face) and things looking rosy for '22 all of a sudden.

This offer does kinda suggest that maybe Ketron isn't quite ready for the calculator like we thought.

...I'd stop thinking that if I were you

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I don't understand. You don't think Chase Jackson is a Ketron Jackson replacement?

It was more "if you still think Ketron's in the calculator, I would think something very different".

That said, that whole recruitment reeked of no one trying particularly hard except for like a two week period, so I don't know why they'd feel the need for a replacement.

Sidebar: TFB noted that CJackson averaged over 23 yds/catch last year.

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / The Stampede: Tons of 2021 and 2022 recruiting nuggets

(Crossposting to '21 and '22 thread ... mmkay?)

Spoiler

The Stampede: Tons of 2021 and 2022 recruiting nuggets
MIKE ROACH

What a week it was for the Texas Longhorns. After suffering through some big time ups and downs this year, the Longhorns landed a massive win with the commitment of 2022 No. 1 overall prospect Quinn Ewers.

Now Texas moves forward with a new lease on life in recruiting. The staff is trying to capitalize on this newfound momentum, and the news sent shockwaves through the recruiting world. Over the weekend, I spoke with several sources and recruits to get a gauge on what the 2022 class could look like.

The 2021 class is still rolling on, and we’ve got updates on several targets for the Longhorns as the staff tries to finish out the class in progress. Can the Longhorns reel in the rest of their targets and add some more elite players to this class?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we break down the 2022 class with a heat check on several prospects and update some key targets in the 2021 group for the Longhorns.

Shortly before Quinn Ewers made his commitment last week, I started to hear buzz that Camar Wheaton could do the same. I began digging into the rumor and there were times where I felt the information had legs.

Ultimately, I was told by a key source near Camar that he was not planning to pull the trigger at the time, but the buzz around Texas keeps growing for the five-star back. I expect him to make it to Norman this weekend for an unofficial visit Oklahoma commits have arranged called the “Sooner Summit.”

Camar Wheaton (Photo: Texas Football, 247Sports)

I’ve said multiple times that I think this race is just about dead even between Texas and Oklahoma with each school taking turns grabbing the edge. Currently, I think the Longhorns have the slight edge, but there’s nothing that suggests it won’t swing back the other way.

Regardless, I think Texas is gaining ground just about every day for the five-star Garland Lakeview Centennial running back. I also think the Longhorns appear to be in the lead for four-star Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson. I know that sources in Austin certainly feel confident about the job they are doing with both backs.

I wrote last week about the impact assistant running backs coach Brandon Harris is making, and he pulled a pretty cool move to get Leonard Fournette on a facetime with Wheaton to endorse his former teammate. Usual Camar rules apply here. Nobody truly knows what he’s thinking, but don’t rule out another trip to Austin like the one he’s taking to Norman this weekend.

+++

Two weeks ago, I felt extremely confident that 2021 Royse City wide receiver Ketron Jackson would be one of the next members of this class.  After visiting Texas for a self-guided tour, there was substantial buzz around the Longhorns.  I previously had Jackson predicted to Arkansas on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Since Jackson made the trip to Austin, Arkansas turned up the heat on the four-star wide receiver utilizing their long relationship with him and some pressure from fellow Arkansas commits. 

(Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)

That development is making this race tough and the pendulum is slowly swinging back towards the Razorbacks. 

Those close to Jackson are pushing Texas as the best opportunity for his future, but Jackson does feel loyalty to a staff that has been recruiting him for quite a while.  We are checking with sources to see if there is any movement since Ewers made his commitment.  We'll check throughout the week to see where things are settling.

+++

On Friday, news started to leak early in the day that Quinn Ewers would be picking Texas. Rumors buzzed around recruiting circles and my phone was busy all day with coaches and recruits calling to find out if it was real.

While I couldn’t let the cat out of the bag, I did ask these prospects and coaches what it would do for Texas if it were to happen. I also followed up with most of them after the fact to talk some more. One 7v7 coach told me they thought it would change the landscape in 2022 and make Texas a big contender for a number of elite prospects.

With that, here are a few 2022 notes I picked up over the weekend.

—One of the most common themes I heard from sources I spoke with both in Austin and around the state is that receivers better hurry to book their place in the class. Not only did the top pass catchers from around the state take notice, but I was told that several top receivers from around the country also indicated new interest. It will be interesting to see if any new offers to elite prospects in the next week or two, but one source told me that, “Coach Coleman’s job just got a lot easier.”

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

—Even before Ewers committed, I was hearing strong buzz on Klein Cain running back Jaydon Blue. His recruitment has been all over the place. Texas seemed to have some early momentum, but LSU surged after making the offer. In fact, in the last few months, it felt like the Tigers were opening up a big lead. In the last two weeks I felt that Texas was re-gaining the edge in his recruitment. On top of all of that, I heard that Blue had a very strong reaction when Ewers committed. If Texas can add Blue or some of the other big-time playmakers in the 2022 class early, the momentum can get rolling in an unstoppable way.

—While I don’t think it will directly be the cause of a decision, several offensive linemen took notice of the commitment. Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry was one of those prospects. Dewberry is an incredibly sharp kid, and he keeps strong tabs on recruiting to know what players are going where. This commitment should make Herb Hand’s job a bit easier as well, and I wonder if he will become more aggressive in his recruiting style with that behind him.

—Brenen Thompson and Evan Stewart were two names I was told about when asking around about who mentioned Ewers as a positive. Neither prospect knows Ewers personally, but they obviously know of his reputation and skill. Thompson and Stewart are probably the two fastest prospects in the state in the class of 2022, and both would provide electric athleticism for Texas.

—No prospect I spoke with was more excited than Phaizon Wilson. The 2022 Lancaster wide receiver became the first player to commit to Texas in 2022, and his reaction to Texas landing Ewers was that of great excitement. Wilson immediately went on the offensive reaching out to several big-name 2022 prospects to do some recruiting.

(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

—The most interesting thing I heard following the Ewers commitment was the rush of defensive players who upped their interest in the Longhorns. In fact, I feel that Texas could receive another commitment or two within the month, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it came on the defensive side of the ball.

—There’s been some buzz this weekend around Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy five-star safety Kamari Wilson. Nothing has happened with him and Texas yet, but the there’s some real buzz to be excited about if you are a Texas fan. As I’ve written in the past few updates I did with Wilson, Texas made a huge impact in this recruitment, and the Longhorns were already making waves with Wilson prior to the Ewers commitment. Friday’s news did nothing to slow that momentum down, and Ewers and Wilson were already contact with him over the weekend. I’m usually skeptical of out of state players, but I thought there was legitimate reason for optimism before on Wilson and I think that even more so now. In fact, I went back and forth on whether to put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas but decided to play a bit more conservative.

—Two other names I heard when asking around in different circles were Texas cornerback targets Jaylon Guilbeau and Denver Harris. I believe that Jay Valai was already doing a strong job in those recruitments, but there was more excitement over the weekend. I believe Guilbeau has been close to pulling the trigger several times, and Harris could have a Ewers type of impact recruiting on the defensive side of the ball.

—Horns247 spoke with defensive studs Omari Abor and Harold Perkins over the weekend as well. Both prospects indicated that the Ewers commitment caught their attention. Abor in particular seemed to be very impressed and indicated to Nick that he’s high on Texas. Nick will have updates with both this week.

—It will be interesting to see If Ewers’ commitment can help snag a 2021 star. Ewers will undoubtedly be added to the pitch for Aledo wide receiver and LSU commit JoJo Earle. The Longhorns are still in contact with Earle, and I’m told they talk often. Right now, there’s optimism in the fact that Earle is responsive and frequently communicates with the Texas staff. While it doesn’t seem anything is imminent, Texas is working on chipping away at that recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / The Stampede: Tons of 2021 and 2022 recruiting nuggets

(Crossposting to '21 and '22 thread ... mmkay?)

Hide contents

The Stampede: Tons of 2021 and 2022 recruiting nuggets
MIKE ROACH

What a week it was for the Texas Longhorns. After suffering through some big time ups and downs this year, the Longhorns landed a massive win with the commitment of 2022 No. 1 overall prospect Quinn Ewers.

Now Texas moves forward with a new lease on life in recruiting. The staff is trying to capitalize on this newfound momentum, and the news sent shockwaves through the recruiting world. Over the weekend, I spoke with several sources and recruits to get a gauge on what the 2022 class could look like.

The 2021 class is still rolling on, and we’ve got updates on several targets for the Longhorns as the staff tries to finish out the class in progress. Can the Longhorns reel in the rest of their targets and add some more elite players to this class?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we break down the 2022 class with a heat check on several prospects and update some key targets in the 2021 group for the Longhorns.

Shortly before Quinn Ewers made his commitment last week, I started to hear buzz that Camar Wheaton could do the same. I began digging into the rumor and there were times where I felt the information had legs.

Ultimately, I was told by a key source near Camar that he was not planning to pull the trigger at the time, but the buzz around Texas keeps growing for the five-star back. I expect him to make it to Norman this weekend for an unofficial visit Oklahoma commits have arranged called the “Sooner Summit.”

Camar Wheaton (Photo: Texas Football, 247Sports)

I’ve said multiple times that I think this race is just about dead even between Texas and Oklahoma with each school taking turns grabbing the edge. Currently, I think the Longhorns have the slight edge, but there’s nothing that suggests it won’t swing back the other way.

Regardless, I think Texas is gaining ground just about every day for the five-star Garland Lakeview Centennial running back. I also think the Longhorns appear to be in the lead for four-star Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson. I know that sources in Austin certainly feel confident about the job they are doing with both backs.

I wrote last week about the impact assistant running backs coach Brandon Harris is making, and he pulled a pretty cool move to get Leonard Fournette on a facetime with Wheaton to endorse his former teammate. Usual Camar rules apply here. Nobody truly knows what he’s thinking, but don’t rule out another trip to Austin like the one he’s taking to Norman this weekend.

+++

Two weeks ago, I felt extremely confident that 2021 Royse City wide receiver Ketron Jackson would be one of the next members of this class.  After visiting Texas for a self-guided tour, there was substantial buzz around the Longhorns.  I previously had Jackson predicted to Arkansas on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Since Jackson made the trip to Austin, Arkansas turned up the heat on the four-star wide receiver utilizing their long relationship with him and some pressure from fellow Arkansas commits. 

(Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)

That development is making this race tough and the pendulum is slowly swinging back towards the Razorbacks. 

Those close to Jackson are pushing Texas as the best opportunity for his future, but Jackson does feel loyalty to a staff that has been recruiting him for quite a while.  We are checking with sources to see if there is any movement since Ewers made his commitment.  We'll check throughout the week to see where things are settling.

+++

On Friday, news started to leak early in the day that Quinn Ewers would be picking Texas. Rumors buzzed around recruiting circles and my phone was busy all day with coaches and recruits calling to find out if it was real.

While I couldn’t let the cat out of the bag, I did ask these prospects and coaches what it would do for Texas if it were to happen. I also followed up with most of them after the fact to talk some more. One 7v7 coach told me they thought it would change the landscape in 2022 and make Texas a big contender for a number of elite prospects.

With that, here are a few 2022 notes I picked up over the weekend.

—One of the most common themes I heard from sources I spoke with both in Austin and around the state is that receivers better hurry to book their place in the class. Not only did the top pass catchers from around the state take notice, but I was told that several top receivers from around the country also indicated new interest. It will be interesting to see if any new offers to elite prospects in the next week or two, but one source told me that, “Coach Coleman’s job just got a lot easier.”

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

—Even before Ewers committed, I was hearing strong buzz on Klein Cain running back Jaydon Blue. His recruitment has been all over the place. Texas seemed to have some early momentum, but LSU surged after making the offer. In fact, in the last few months, it felt like the Tigers were opening up a big lead. In the last two weeks I felt that Texas was re-gaining the edge in his recruitment. On top of all of that, I heard that Blue had a very strong reaction when Ewers committed. If Texas can add Blue or some of the other big-time playmakers in the 2022 class early, the momentum can get rolling in an unstoppable way.

—While I don’t think it will directly be the cause of a decision, several offensive linemen took notice of the commitment. Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry was one of those prospects. Dewberry is an incredibly sharp kid, and he keeps strong tabs on recruiting to know what players are going where. This commitment should make Herb Hand’s job a bit easier as well, and I wonder if he will become more aggressive in his recruiting style with that behind him.

—Brenen Thompson and Evan Stewart were two names I was told about when asking around about who mentioned Ewers as a positive. Neither prospect knows Ewers personally, but they obviously know of his reputation and skill. Thompson and Stewart are probably the two fastest prospects in the state in the class of 2022, and both would provide electric athleticism for Texas.

—No prospect I spoke with was more excited than Phaizon Wilson. The 2022 Lancaster wide receiver became the first player to commit to Texas in 2022, and his reaction to Texas landing Ewers was that of great excitement. Wilson immediately went on the offensive reaching out to several big-name 2022 prospects to do some recruiting.

(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

—The most interesting thing I heard following the Ewers commitment was the rush of defensive players who upped their interest in the Longhorns. In fact, I feel that Texas could receive another commitment or two within the month, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it came on the defensive side of the ball.

—There’s been some buzz this weekend around Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy five-star safety Kamari Wilson. Nothing has happened with him and Texas yet, but the there’s some real buzz to be excited about if you are a Texas fan. As I’ve written in the past few updates I did with Wilson, Texas made a huge impact in this recruitment, and the Longhorns were already making waves with Wilson prior to the Ewers commitment. Friday’s news did nothing to slow that momentum down, and Ewers and Wilson were already contact with him over the weekend. I’m usually skeptical of out of state players, but I thought there was legitimate reason for optimism before on Wilson and I think that even more so now. In fact, I went back and forth on whether to put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas but decided to play a bit more conservative.

—Two other names I heard when asking around in different circles were Texas cornerback targets Jaylon Guilbeau and Denver Harris. I believe that Jay Valai was already doing a strong job in those recruitments, but there was more excitement over the weekend. I believe Guilbeau has been close to pulling the trigger several times, and Harris could have a Ewers type of impact recruiting on the defensive side of the ball.

—Horns247 spoke with defensive studs Omari Abor and Harold Perkins over the weekend as well. Both prospects indicated that the Ewers commitment caught their attention. Abor in particular seemed to be very impressed and indicated to Nick that he’s high on Texas. Nick will have updates with both this week.

—It will be interesting to see If Ewers’ commitment can help snag a 2021 star. Ewers will undoubtedly be added to the pitch for Aledo wide receiver and LSU commit JoJo Earle. The Longhorns are still in contact with Earle, and I’m told they talk often. Right now, there’s optimism in the fact that Earle is responsive and frequently communicates with the Texas staff. While it doesn’t seem anything is imminent, Texas is working on chipping away at that recruitment.

In fact, I went back and forth on whether to put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas but decided to play a bit more conservative.

No way, is this the same Mike Roach I've always known to be super aggressive on CBs

• Haha 3

Scoop

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin

Post-scrimmage team notes, more recruits react to Quinn Ewers' pledge, Kamari Wilson love, and basketball gets a shooter. Let's Scoop.

EMERGING THEMES

Now with the benefit of a full scrimmage — about 70 snaps — we can start identifying the strengths and weaknesses of this promising team.

Defensive line and quarterback: When you go to build a team in the NFL this is where much of your resources are allocated. If UT was up against the financial constraints of the NFL structure, they’d have trouble funding these two positions.

Zero sum makes it a bit tougher to know whether the defensive line is good or the offensive line is bad, but I feel confident the O-line is at least average and the defensive line is good, and potentially great compared to the rest of the schedule.

We know Sam Cosmi is good, and he gave up a sack to Jacoby Jones. We know Junior Angilau is at least solid, and he’s been struggling with Keondre Coburn. We’ve seen enough to know that Ta’Quon Graham is a good college player. Everybody, including NFL teams, know of Joseph Ossai’s ability. So, with confidence we state, the defensive line is good. It’s likely very good.

Sam Ehlinger probably feels like it’s 2017 again with how little time he’s had when facing the ones, but he’s still making plays. He’s feeling pressure in the pocket and adjusting on deeper routes and getting the ball out timely and accurately on RPOs. With an average quarterback, these scrimmages would hold little value because the D-line would dominate and ruin plays right off the snap.

Depth on the OL needs to improve: It‘s not just the first team O-line struggling with the D-line, the same can be said for the second team. The discrepancy might even be worse. Ideally you have 7-8 guys who are starter quality. Texas has five, maybe six. Isaiah Hookfin, the presumed 5th, is inexperienced.

Of the freshmen offensive linemen, Andrej Karic will be the first one ready to play. He’s up to around 300 pounds and getting reps with the second team. He still needs to redshirt but he’s ahead of his classmates.

Another emerging theme is the offensive line needs to get nastier.

Ash’s philosophy is on display: We’ve mentioned he wants a very active front four that forces the QB to get the ball out underneath quickly. From there he wants the corners to suffocate those routes. That’s exactly what we heard after the first scrimmage. It sounds like he’s dictating to the offense, which is what should happen early in August camp. Over time we should hear of the offense landing more punches.

CB‘s are still susceptible: An emerging theme from last year was the defensive backs giving up the big play, in part because they couldn’t locate the ball. That is still an issue. While the offense struggles at times, it has still shown the ability to win deep. Are the corners too focused on the shorter routes? It should be noted that a lot of those big plays were made by Troy Omeire who will now miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL. So, if they don’t give up those plays going forward, it doesn’t necessarily mean they fixed the issue.

Still plenty of talent at wide receiver: In a season where Texas needs every good break it can get, losing Omeire hurts, but there is still a lot of talent at the position. Andre Coleman is certainly working to get the best group of players on the field independent of where they fit best on paper. This will be an explosive group.

Like Ash, Yurcich is as advertised as well: The O has been a bit handicapped because of the difference between OL and DL, but we feel strongly we’ll see a more varied, complete, and explosive offense. The defense has been forced to cover the entire field. We’re hearing of many more route combinations. The tight ends and running backs are used in the passing game more often. Something tells us we won’t see four verts on 3rd and 5.

We’re also hearing about many more personnel packages.

Linebacker play should be fine: It helps this group tremendously they have such a quality defensive line in front of them. That allows for the linebackers to use their speed to track the ball carrier with minimal conflict on their way to the ball. This is a pretty fast group.

We were pretty high on Jaden Hullaby and Jaylan Ford based on what sources were saying about how they worked and carried themselves. That is carrying over with the pads on. The future is bright at the position even if no other safeties spin down.

Expect the younger guys to see their reps go up this week.

Field corner still undetermined: The biggest battle in camp right now is taking place at field corner. With Josh Thompson injured, the competition is between Jalen Green and Kenyatta Watson. Don’t be surprised if Watson pulls ahead. On top of being a great athlete, he’s very coachable with a workmanlike attitude.

MORE ELITE 2022 PROSPECTS ON EWERS

DE Malick Sylla, Katy

“I think it’s crazy! I feel like that is a kick off to a super 2022 offense.”

LB Harold Perkins, Cy Park

“That’s huge for Texas. Congrats to Quinn too for making that decision. That’s going to change their entire class I believe. You get not only the number one QB in the country, you get the number one player in the nation. Now he’s going to help recruit that class as well — that’s tough. Then he just so happens to be from Texas. Imagine the number 1 player asking you to play with him you have to at least consider. I think our ‘22 class is going to change the landscape and you’ll see a lot of the top ranked Texas guys stay in Texas...has me thinking... a defense of Texas boys doesn’t sound bad all.”

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain

“It’s a great pickup, I was very surprised because I didn’t know UT was that close of a school to him. Him committing to UT kind of makes me look at Texas differently because he is the number one QB in my class. And not only QB, but player also.”

KELVIN BANKS

The recruitment of 2022 offensive tackle Kelvin Banks has the full attention of LSU, Texas A&M, and Texas. It was easy to see why watching Banks at the July Elite Underclassmen Showcase in Duncan, OK. Banks measured 6-foot-5 without shoes, 295-pounds, posted a 4.83 laser shuttle on grass and an 82-inch wingspan. And more than his measurables and on the field talent, the coaches at the camp walked away impressed with his personality, attention to detail, and taking coaching from rep to rep.

After decommitting from Oklahoma State July 12, the majority of attention in the media was focused on two schools — LSU and Texas A&M. According to a source close to Banks, the Longhorns will also factor in.

Said a source, “At the end of the day, I think LSU and Texas will be there. Texas was his school growing up, but they didn’t offer as early as others and have been making up ground.”

ERNEST COOPER

The defensive end from Arlington Martin might be the No. 2 player in the 2022 class behind Ewers.

After talking to a source close to him, Stanford was considered the team to beat at the beginning of his recruitment. That’s the school he’s always been fond of but Texas is in it due to the combination of football and academics. Notre Dame, Alabama, and Texas A&M are in it as well.

Cooper has been really quiet regarding recruiting but you have to like that he cares about academics and having his teammate, linebacker Morice Blackwell in the 2021 class, can’t hurt.

From @Justin Wells

DAVID JOPLIN

Texas basketball's Class of 2021 added it’s third member on Sunday. David Joplin, a 6-foot-7 small forward from Brookfield Central in Brookfield, WI, is a composite 3-star with 15 offers and unlimited range from beyond the arc. He'd been leaning UT for the longest time and decided to pull the trigger on Sunday evening.

“The Texas staff and the opportunity,” said Joplin about why he chose Shaka Smart and the Longhorns. “And of course the city. The new arena will be special too.”

Joplin brings a shooting touch not seen on the Forty Acres in sometime. He'll need to do a better job of separating and creating his shot, but his stroke is lethal.

“I bring toughness," Joplin said. "I can play 1-4 spots, I can guard 1-4 spots, and I can shoot that m----- f-----."

That last quote made my weekend. Atlanta's Daimion Collins... come on down.

KAMARI WILSON

The nation's top safety for 2022 continues his burnt orange love, one Twitter and Instagram post at a time.

At 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, the IMG Academy five-star has feelings for the University of Texas and CB coach Jay Valai. It's mutual.

“I’m in love the vibe,” said Wilson. “I just got to get to Austin, Texas, and put my eyes on everything.“

With 30 offers already, including almost every major program in the nation, Wilson maintains he's open and willing to listen. But seeing UT remains a priority.

“As soon as it’s safe for recruits," Wilson said. "I will be there.”

Wilson has been active on social media about his love for the Longhorns, but he's also big on Florida and FSU. I don't get a Kelee Ringo sense here yet, but it's a long ways until signing day for this five-star stud.

He mentioned how happy he was for Quinn Ewers and Texas, and how he definitely notices what the Horns are building in the next class.

JIHAAD CAMPBELL

At 6-foot-4, 220-pounds, the 2022 OLB/DE from Timber Creek High School in Sicklerville, NJ is starting to become a name in the recruiting world.

Texas offered recently, joining Clemson, Michigan, Maryland, Penn State, and Florida. It's a list that grows by the day. The 2022 athlete plays on both sides of the ball, but knows defense is his future.

“The attention has been very high," said Campbell. "Getting these big offers brings a lot of attention to me. Texas definitely has a shot. They have a great program that breeds a lot of raw talent coming out of there.”

While Campbell continues to figure out where he best fits, he's got a good idea what he's looking for in a school.

“I’m looking for a great school with great advice and knowledge," said Campbell. "They can teach me football, and academics, and even outside of sports and school. Just life period. A program who produces athletes to become at an even greater level, and also a program who has an great environment, great defensive scheme where I can fit in.”

Campbell wants to see Austin, and when visits are real, he could be a guy to watch.

NOTES

*David Abiara, DE

The Mansfield Legacy four-star defensive end is still squarely on the Texas radar today. At 6-foot-4 and 248 pounds, the softest Notre Dame pledge is currently looking at three programs: Texas, OU, and SMU. He was named a District 6-5A Division I first team selection at DE as a junior, and has 98 tackles, 27 tackles for loss, and 16 sacks over his high school career.

He's got upside at strongside DE and would fit in the new four-man front in Austin. While many pundits have Oklahoma as future choice, I know UT is pushing. His interest in the Horns is there, but it's unclear what his next move will be. We'll try to get by Legacy High School soon for the latest, but he's one to watch.

*Jack Leyrer, OT

The Highland Park native picked up a Texas offer recently. At 6-foot-6 and 275 pounds, the composite 3-star quietly holds 32 offers including Stanford, USC, Colorado, and Utah. He's apparently well-liked on the West Coast and it might be mutual. Stanford seems to have an early lead here, so step away from the computer when you read.

I'm hearing the Texas offer was nice, and he's willing to build a relationship with the UT staff and Herb Hand. He's got a former Scot on the UT roster, Prince Dorbah, so I'm certain they've spoke. Beyond that, it'll be interesting to see how this pursuit plays out. The need for offensive tackles in this cycle remains strong.

• Hook 'Em 4

*Jack Leyrer, OT

The Highland Park native picked up a Texas offer recently. At 6-foot-6 and 275 pounds, the composite 3-star quietly holds 32 offers including Stanford, USC, Colorado, and Utah. He's apparently well-liked on the West Coast and it might be mutual. Stanford seems to have an early lead here, so step away from the computer when you read.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Scholz said:

*Jack Leyrer, OT

giphy.gif

81fSRwEL+gL._SS500_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Horns 247 / Steve Wiltfong / Touted OL Jack Leyrer closing in on a commitment date

Spoiler

Touted OL Jack Leyrer closing in on a commitment date
STEVE WILTFONG

Dallas (Texas) Highland Park 2021 offensive lineman Jack Leyrer has a timetable for a decision.

"I’m coming closer to a commitment date, and will probably be committing late August or early September," he told 247Sports Sunday night.

The schools that have the 6-foot-6, 275-pound Leyrer's attention include "Virginia, Stanford, Northwestern, Texas, USC, Vanderbilt and SMU.

"I would say UVA, Stanford and Northwestern have been recruiting me the hardest."

The 6-foot-6, 285-pound Leyrer talked about each of those programs.

Regarding Virginia: "The coaching staff is one of a kind, and I really like the opportunity the business school provides."

Regarding Northwestern: "It’s an awesome school, and I really like the proximity to Chicago. They have a great program for life after football."

Regarding Stanford: "I really like the environment and the feel of Palo Alto. It’s obviously a great school and championship-level football program."

Texas offered this past Friday putting the Longhorns firmly in the mix.

"I’m going to have to take a very serious look at UT," Leyrer said. "Texas checks a lot of boxes for me.

"I’ve been to Vandy, UVA, SMU, NU, USC and Stanford. I’m going to visit UT."

That visit to Austin has not been locked in yet.

"But I only live three hours away," Leyrer added.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:22 PM, Chips O'Toole said:

It was Malibu and Big Red to be exact. Was he also the coach that thought Cosmi was a horrible take?

speaking of former posters

what was the poster that came on to shaggy breathing fire and brimstone about some perceived slight?  he came at the owners/mods and they promptly changed his username and avatar to something hilariously shameful

anybody remember this? (name of user and what the mods changed it to?)

18 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I don’t remember being so disappointed that I bought a rape van.

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Remember that time nobody was taking to you or about you and you tried to join the conversation and made it awkward as fuck for everyone 

I want to tweet these to him right now

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The new Baylor Rolls Royce: With extra room in the backseat to accommodate all your raping needs.

For the best deal, talk to Mike "Salesman of the month" Wallace!

He doesn't take no for an answer!

When you say No! No! No! ... he hears Yes! Yes! Yes!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1