Parliament

Things not going well in Chicago

12 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

As someone’s who has studied victimization and police reporting from Chicago I can say without hesitation that’s absolutely untrue. 

One of the biggest characteristics of Chicago’s violence is that it is heavily black on black. 

So if you’re a blek, best stay out of Chicago lest the other bleks or the blue line heroes kill you?   That it?

16 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

So if you’re a blek, best stay out of Chicago lest the other bleks or the blue line heroes kill you?   That it?

Let’s just say the boundaries that divide the city are more relevant to you if you are of color

Yeah, based on the latest batch of murder numbers...I'm kinda thinking of not going up there for my 25th reunion.  

Don't get me wrong the four drink tickets were making a case for themselves.  

Posted (edited)

An hour+  conference call with the mayor and alderpeople that took place during the unpleasantless 10 days ago.

Sadlowski-Garza wept as she told Lightfoot new businesses had been destroyed, while other shops were being protected by owners with shotguns.

“This is a massive, massive problem,” Lightfoot said. “People are just f-----g lawless right now.”

Ald. Raymond Lopez (15th Ward) demanded that Lightfoot develop a plan to stabilize Chicago’s neighborhoods for five days, calling his Southwest Side ward “a virtual war zone” where gang members armed with AK-47’s were threatening to shoot black people.

The call came to a screeching halt when Lightfoot declined to address the substance of Lopez’s remarks, and Lopez demanded that she respond.

Lightfoot told Lopez he was “100% full of s--t.”

“Well, f--k you then,” Lopez responded.

“I understand you want to preen,” Lightfoot told Lopez.

As aldermen objected, Lopez continued to speak.

“Mayor you need to check your f-----g attitude,” Lopez said.

https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/05/what-are-we-going-have-left-our-community-aldermen-react-panic-sorrow-unrest

ETA

Blacklab, can we go ahead and move this to the Cloak Room?

Edited by Parliament

7 hours ago, workswithseed said:

So shotguns work, I wonder what happens when you lax it more?

image.thumb.png.16aafd50950a1917fcd37e69270857fd.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/us/chicago-shootings.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200706&instance_id=20044&nl=the-morning&regi_id=123116982&segment_id=32688&te=1&user_id=faf6589c2c1224eae47887e1e76bc520

At least 336 people have been murdered in Chicago through July 2 of this year, according to the Chicago Police Department, a homicide rate on track to hit the 2016 record of 778 deaths. (New York City, with almost three times the population, had 176 murders as of June 28.)

I'm just tired... Like I've said, the People of Chicago need to be armed. They are being killed without protection already, let them shoot back.

Seems like they're armed pretty well now.

ETA

Not saying they should have their weapons confiscated or anything, so like as they can legally own them.

45 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I'm just tired... Like I've said, the People of Chicago need to be armed. They are being killed without protection already, let them shoot back.

So the 7yo killed over the weekend needed a weapon?

6 minutes ago, Homercles said:

33316290-2331-48C4-AA8A-708880A08558.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Not everyone lives a privileged life where they don't fear for their life.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Not everyone lives a privileged life where they don't fear for their life.

So your reply makes sense in that the poor kiddo obviously did not live a life privileged to be free from gun violence...but it doesn’t make sense as an answer to my question regarding if the 7yo needed a weapon, as you suggested arming more people would help.  I’m asking if adding more guns to the mix means giving pistols to first graders?

Posted (edited)

I find it interesting when Mass shootings at schools, etc.. happens, it is all over the news for weeks, but this goes on all the time and there is hardly any talk of it and how to fix it.

Edited by BNB

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Homercles said:

So your reply makes sense in that the poor kiddo obviously did not live a life privileged to be free from gun violence...but it doesn’t make sense as an answer to my question regarding if the 7yo needed a weapon, as you suggested arming more people would help.  I’m asking if adding more guns to the mix means giving pistols to first graders?

You're making it sound like a legal gun owner came over and shot this girl. I'd rather my daughter save her life than die at my feet, I'd also say that I'd rather take the life of a person who was about to shoot my daughter. Why make it harder for me to do that?

Edited by workswithseed

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You're making it sound like a legal gun owner came over and shot this girl. I'd rather my daughter save her life than die at my feet, I'd also say that I'd rather take the life of a person who was about to shoot my daughter. Why make it harder for me to do that?

I’m not making it sound like anything, I was asking, based on your statement that more guns will help the problem, if the kid should have had a gun?  And yes any parent will do whatever necessary to save the life of their children, that’s not applicable here.  It’s horrible she died senselessly, people apparently got out of their car and blasted in the genera direction of the party...

7 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m not making it sound like anything, I was asking, based on your statement that more guns will help the problem, if the kid should have had a gun?  And yes any parent will do whatever necessary to save the life of their children, that’s not applicable here.  It’s horrible she died senselessly, people apparently got out of their car and blasted in the genera direction of the party...

I think more people should be able to protect themselves, and a gun is a great way to do that. If that means more guns to you? Then sure, more guns would make things better.

Seems like Chicago has many bad people.

Ideally, local/regional leadership would get together with local/regional law enforcement and plan a strategy to fix the bad people issue but that's not going to happen; too much to ask of the leadership, politics and all.

Might as well arm the population and hope they take out a few bad actors. That is a strategy...

58 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Guns in the right hands can help the problem.

It's overly simplistic but true. Problem is, is that as soon as the word gun is mentioned, all kinds of emotions are invoked. We can't even get to a conversation because when people are pissed, the communication is at such a level that a conversation cannot  be had. We just talk/ shout past each other until things return to the status quo or there's something new to be pissed off about. 

Take what I just said about guns and it's analogous to pretty much every social (and public health) issue going on in America right now. I think collectively we need to learn to listen more, even if you don't think this applies to you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/us/chicago-shootings.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200706&instance_id=20044&nl=the-morning&regi_id=123116982&segment_id=32688&te=1&user_id=faf6589c2c1224eae47887e1e76bc520 

At least 336 people have been murdered in Chicago through July 2 of this year, according to the Chicago Police Department, a homicide rate on track to hit the 2016 record of 778 deaths. (New York City, with almost three times the population, had 176 murders as of June 28.)

Come on NY Times, lazy. If they bothered to research, the record for Chicago is 970 murders in 1974 and well over 800 throughout the 80s and early 90s. 1992 I believe had the 2nd highest total.

Edit to add: shit is bad there obviously and the hot spots are HOT SPOTS. My cousin had multiple friends murdered there in the area of Garfield Blvd just west of the Dan Ryan.