RollLeft

Covers Good and Bad

14 hours ago, tbone_ said:

The world needs more bands like Molly Hatchet.

Agreed. 

Instead it feels like the hellscape from one of their album covers. 

On 8/8/2018 at 11:46 PM, Radical Larry said:

Good God this is fucking horrible. Absolute trash. 

Country should never cover good rock. Johnny Cash is the only one who ever did it right and he's dead. 

On 6/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I use that "Dreams I'll Never See" cover to help audition new audio equipment.  It has tons of clarity and just sounds fantastic.

CSB:  I was editor of our HS newspaper my junior and senior years, and a buddy and I printed "press passes" to see if we could get into a local rock show at the university (minor Kansas City hitmakers Shooting Star).  To our surprise, those passes worked, and we got to interview the band before the show.  We ended up getting on their good side, and they'd call to let us know when they'd be coming through our small town, etc.

One day my buddy gets a call and their guitarist says "hey, we're opening up for Molly Hatchet at the big arena in St. Louis, want some tix and backstage passes for the show?"  

Oh yell yes!  We were probably 17 at the time.  Drove up, got our goods at will call, saw the show, and headed backstage.  Holy shit.  I'll just say a Molly Hatchet backstage scene was everything you might expect ~ 1980.  I grew up about 4 years that night.

Molly Hatchet was literally the first band I ever saw live. They opened for AC/DC in Lubbock in 1979...

Could be a cover, could be a live performance.  I'm going with "cover" even though it's Paul Stanley singing.