Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Not sure how to put spoilers, but here's the ESPN+ article on Herman:

Keep an eye on: Texas and Auburn

Any coaching carousel needs a big vacancy or two to really get things moving. There aren't many obvious hot spots, although both Texas and Auburn are being monitored after turbulent starts. Both teams recorded critical wins Saturday, momentarily taking heat off coaches Tom Herman and Gus Malzahn.

Texas finally looked dominant against Baylor and seemingly diffused the controversy around "The Eyes of Texas" afterward. Then again, Herman has no Big 12 titles and only one win over Oklahoma.

Herman and Malzahn both have contracts on their side. According to USA Today's coaching database, Texas would owe Herman about $15.4 million if it made a change this year, while Auburn would owe Malzahn a whopping $21.45 million. With Malzahn's guarantee, he would be owed $11 million of the $21-plus million within the first two months of termination. Those guarantees amid the pandemic -- not even counting what their assistants would be owed -- are steep. But Texas and Auburn both are places that can find the money when they really have to. The question is whether they reach a point where a change is inevitable, or whether they've targeted an obvious upgrade.

"Auburn always talks about it," an industry source told me Saturday. "They're never happy there."

Auburn is 3-2 but easily could be 1-4 after getting fortunate calls in victories over both Arkansas and Ole Miss. Since Malzahn agreed to a seven-year, $49 million contract in December 2017, he's 20-12. His offense hasn't recaptured its pre-2015 form. The Tigers still must face Alabama, Texas A&M and LSU later this fall.

If Auburn gets antsy enough to make an expensive move, where would it turn? One name to track is Oregon's Mario Cristobal, who won the Pac-12 and the Rose Bowl last season. Cristobal, who has a school-friendly contract after being promoted to replace Willie Taggart, is the second-lowest-paid coach in the league at $2.7 million. Despite some post-Rose Bowl buzz about a new contract, nothing was finalized before the pandemic.

Cristobal, signed through 2024, would owe $8 million if he leaves before 2021, increasing the financial toll for a suitor. But he's an elite national recruiter with SEC experience at Alabama and a Power 5 title under his belt.

"Mario would be a good fit at Auburn," a source said. "But you fire Gus and the staff and hire Mario, that's an ungodly amount of money during the COVID era."

The belief around Texas is that a move would be made only to go deep-sea hunting. The biggest fish available is Urban Meyer, Herman's former boss at Ohio State, who last coached in 2018 and works as a Fox analyst. Would athletic director Chris Del Conte, who didn't hire Herman, be open to Meyer and all that comes with him?

"I could see Urban making a play behind the scenes to get that one," a source said.

Added another person: "If [Del Conte] wants Urban, he may be inclined to move."

After Meyer, the candidate pool gets blurry. Penn State coach James Franklin could be an option for Del Conte. Iowa State's Matt Campbell is seemingly a better fit for a top Big Ten job or Notre Dame.

"Even if it's a crazy amount of money, they've got it," added another source. "I get the feeling that they feel like Herman's not the guy who can turn this thing around. But does that mean they make the change during the pandemic or wait a year?"

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

"Even if it's a crazy amount of money, they've got it," added another source. "I get the feeling that they feel like Herman's not the guy who can turn this thing around. But does that mean they make the change during the pandemic or wait a year?"

Oh baby jesus I cannot stand this bullshit pandemic angle. THIS SHIT HAPPENED LAST YEAR, TOO!

"Oh, but he changed coaches they didn't have a lot of practice time.." Yah, because he doesn't know how to hire the right coaches, and held on to them for far too long. His fault.  Baylor is a bad team that has practiced like three times this year and have played two games and Tom's Texas team still fucked around with 'em.

Not to mention the ever worsening recruiting situation. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

You make fast players slow by making them think too much or putting them in positions not to take advantage of their speed.

Bad tackling can be a result of not practicing tackling, or being out of position and having to try to adjust and tackle from a bad angle.

Anyone who watched what Greg Robinson did with Manny Diaz players in literally weeks should know that stud players can look awfully pedestrian under the wrong coaching.

Your argument is that all of the stud recruits we land, who generally have offers from elite programs, all just happen to be busts. I don't buy it. It's coaching.

Maybe already mentioned. The Utah bowl game illustrates your point. Shoulda kept the coaches in that game and not hired a damn one. Kind of sarcastic, but team looked better coached than before and after Utah game.

Fire Herman! Get Urban!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

Maybe already mentioned. The Utah bowl game illustrates your point. Shoulda kept the coaches in that game and not hired a damn one. Kind of sarcastic, but team looked better coached than before and after Utah game.

Fire Herman! Get Urban!

I think with Herman it is pointless to draw a conclusion about a teams coaching performance in a bowl game. 

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've been pointing to this weekend since the TCU debacle, personally. I will obviously take a W if this cockroach of a coach escapes death for another week by some miracle. However, he's going to get outcoached, he's on the road, and he hasn't fixed shit. If Gundy leads OSU to a double digit win, I wouldn't be surprised to see Herman being shown the door by Sunday evening, November 1. 

Talks are happening, and they've been going on for awhile. It's pretty basic - "show me a job, first, and sure, maybe we can make this work." That's a pretty reasonable approach by everyone. Del Conte has one job here right now when it comes to football - fire Fuckface when we're eliminated and then get out of the way. The path to getting back to elite CFB for Texas is obvious for the first time in a long time. Get rid of the mirage at the helm and hire one of the best coaches in history, who happens to be available.

Can Texas fuck it up? You bet. They're aware of past fuck-ups this time, and doing what they can to avoid a circus. I hope that means they're going to act quickly and decisively the minute there is no doubt left in the schedule. 

Pretty much what I thought was going on.  IMO, Herm wins conference, he stays.  He loses, it's probably UM.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

IT Then and Now

Hide contents

Then and Now

When the Aggies hired Jimbo Fisher my initial reaction was to be impressed by their ability to pull it off. Hiring a national championship winning coach, to College Station no less, was to be commended. It took everyone, school admin, Athletic Department, and boosters sharing the same commitment to doing whatever it took to make the hire. It also took some good fortune, which Texas has right now. Jimbo Fisher was ready for a change of scenery.

Texas fans were in a good position to appreciate the move having witnessed the slow moving train wreck of Texas turning down the greatest college football coach of all time. On the heels of the Saban debacle, and ensuing hirings, Texas fans are justifiably jaded about the ability of Texas brass to make a major hire.

But that was then, this is now. Key Texas figures are in much better position to follow the template set forth by — gulp — the Aggies, than their own from 2013.

President then: Bill Powers - Depending on who you talk to, Powers was understandably upset by the boosters’ unsanctioned pursuit of Saban, or a downright idiot for not being grateful and converting the layup. In any event, he was the key decision maker in the whole deal and he had little appetite for Saban. He and Dodds didn’t even have much of an appetite for asking Mack Brown to step down.

President now: Jay Hartzell - It’s Hartzell’s job now, but even his predecessor was done with Herman last December. It was Chris Del Conte who persuaded Greg Fenves to give Herman one more year. Hartzell has always been seen as sympathetic to the athletic and donor side, though I believe he‘d prefer to not be pigeon holed as such. That’s likely why he assigned Richard Reddick to run the historical review of The Eyes of Texas. If we learned anything from the Saban Saga it’s to get a good understanding of the president’s office when significant changes need to be made. Simply put, Hartzell is open to hiring Urban Meyer.

Athletic Director then: DeLoss Dodds - Texas athletics were awash in cash in 2013. That’s not the greatest motivator to make a big change. Dodds and Mack Brown were quite close and as along as checks were cashing, Dodds seemed to have little interest in making a head coaching change and he certainly didn’t want his hand to be forced to make that change. This period is the epitome of Texas stagnation: ”We’re not winning but we’re earning like we are!”

Athletic Director now: Chris Del Conte - Del Conte has a great working relationship with Hartzell, as well as an okay, but recently strained relationship with boosters. There’s one way to repair that relationship and restore the donations rolling in. This is the key difference in the two scenarios, well that and not having Powers involved: Given the financial impact of Covid-19 in conjunction with numerous capital projects, furloughs, and layoffs, the donors are needed much more than in 2013. They have the leverage to get things done, though I don’t get the sense Del Conte needs his arm twisted on this one. In less than a year, Herman has lost a lot of the support from the person who just helped oversee an expensive staff overhaul.

Head coach then: Mack Brown - It had long been Mack Brown Texas Football by 2013 and he had no plans to abdicate. This period spawned one of the greatest phrases ever uttered on IT:

”He’s leaving, but it’s his choice if it’s in a parade or pine box.” - @W.W. McClyde

Of course he chose pine box, but only after he petulantly and selfishly scuttled the Nick Saban deal once and for all.

Head coach now: Tom Herman - Herman has none of the leverage or support from the administration Brown had in 2013. Try as I might, I can’t find any pockets of support for the embattled coach. He never cared much for politicking, which is hard to blame him, but it’s shortsighted to not create allies in a position such as his. I had two people this weekend speculate that even if he won out, he’d be on the hot seat. That’s hard to fathom, but given the situation, not all that hard to believe.

BOR then - My recollection is it was split between the administrative side and the athletic booster side. The unsanctioned overtures were known to some on the BOR, but others sided with Powers. Clearly Powers had more stroke.

BOR now - From my vantage, the BOR appears to be in lockstep with Del Conte, Hartzell, and the most influential boosters. I can’t speak knowledgeably on all of them. Typically some care about sports, and some don’t. The ones who care about football are like Hartzell and are open to the idea of Urban Meyer. This is a key point: the president, AD, and BOR are on the same exact page.

Boosters then - There was a clear divide between the old guard Jamails of the world who threatened to withhold countless millions from the school if Brown was fired, and those who wanted a return to the heights Mack previously took the program. The BBs were not in box and there seemed to be a clear split between the Houston and Dallas factions. The Dallas boosters were at least able to force Brown’s resignation.

Boosters now - There is no such divide. The lines we have into both cities all favor hiring the strong, centralizing figure. You can add Austin to that group too.

Result then - With the petulance of Mack Brown and the enabling of DeLoss Dodds, Bill Powers scuttled what would have been the biggest football hire of your lifetime. This led to a shoddy search resulting in the hiring of Charlie Strong. Powers won, the school lost.

Result now - It’s impossible to know what will happen, and there isn’t yet a job opening, but if UT doesn’t land its top target it won’t be for lack of effort and pulling out all the stops. It won’t be self-inflicted.

The context between 2013 and 2020 couldn’t be more different.

Pretty good stuff. I don't beleive that Saban was a "layup" like he is assuming. In fact, I think it would be easier to get Urban here than it would have been to get Saban. But some of this stuff is impossible to get a clear look at what was happening or is happening behind the scenes. 

(And "couldn't be more different" is lazy, sophomoric prose but I'll try not to be an English Nazi here)

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

IT Then and Now

Hide contents

Then and Now

When the Aggies hired Jimbo Fisher my initial reaction was to be impressed by their ability to pull it off. Hiring a national championship winning coach, to College Station no less, was to be commended. It took everyone, school admin, Athletic Department, and boosters sharing the same commitment to doing whatever it took to make the hire. It also took some good fortune, which Texas has right now. Jimbo Fisher was ready for a change of scenery.

Texas fans were in a good position to appreciate the move having witnessed the slow moving train wreck of Texas turning down the greatest college football coach of all time. On the heels of the Saban debacle, and ensuing hirings, Texas fans are justifiably jaded about the ability of Texas brass to make a major hire.

But that was then, this is now. Key Texas figures are in much better position to follow the template set forth by — gulp — the Aggies, than their own from 2013.

President then: Bill Powers - Depending on who you talk to, Powers was understandably upset by the boosters’ unsanctioned pursuit of Saban, or a downright idiot for not being grateful and converting the layup. In any event, he was the key decision maker in the whole deal and he had little appetite for Saban. He and Dodds didn’t even have much of an appetite for asking Mack Brown to step down.

President now: Jay Hartzell - It’s Hartzell’s job now, but even his predecessor was done with Herman last December. It was Chris Del Conte who persuaded Greg Fenves to give Herman one more year. Hartzell has always been seen as sympathetic to the athletic and donor side, though I believe he‘d prefer to not be pigeon holed as such. That’s likely why he assigned Richard Reddick to run the historical review of The Eyes of Texas. If we learned anything from the Saban Saga it’s to get a good understanding of the president’s office when significant changes need to be made. Simply put, Hartzell is open to hiring Urban Meyer.

Athletic Director then: DeLoss Dodds - Texas athletics were awash in cash in 2013. That’s not the greatest motivator to make a big change. Dodds and Mack Brown were quite close and as along as checks were cashing, Dodds seemed to have little interest in making a head coaching change and he certainly didn’t want his hand to be forced to make that change. This period is the epitome of Texas stagnation: ”We’re not winning but we’re earning like we are!”

Athletic Director now: Chris Del Conte - Del Conte has a great working relationship with Hartzell, as well as an okay, but recently strained relationship with boosters. There’s one way to repair that relationship and restore the donations rolling in. This is the key difference in the two scenarios, well that and not having Powers involved: Given the financial impact of Covid-19 in conjunction with numerous capital projects, furloughs, and layoffs, the donors are needed much more than in 2013. They have the leverage to get things done, though I don’t get the sense Del Conte needs his arm twisted on this one. In less than a year, Herman has lost a lot of the support from the person who just helped oversee an expensive staff overhaul.

Head coach then: Mack Brown - It had long been Mack Brown Texas Football by 2013 and he had no plans to abdicate. This period spawned one of the greatest phrases ever uttered on IT:

”He’s leaving, but it’s his choice if it’s in a parade or pine box.” - @W.W. McClyde

Of course he chose pine box, but only after he petulantly and selfishly scuttled the Nick Saban deal once and for all.

Head coach now: Tom Herman - Herman has none of the leverage or support from the administration Brown had in 2013. Try as I might, I can’t find any pockets of support for the embattled coach. He never cared much for politicking, which is hard to blame him, but it’s shortsighted to not create allies in a position such as his. I had two people this weekend speculate that even if he won out, he’d be on the hot seat. That’s hard to fathom, but given the situation, not all that hard to believe.

BOR then - My recollection is it was split between the administrative side and the athletic booster side. The unsanctioned overtures were known to some on the BOR, but others sided with Powers. Clearly Powers had more stroke.

BOR now - From my vantage, the BOR appears to be in lockstep with Del Conte, Hartzell, and the most influential boosters. I can’t speak knowledgeably on all of them. Typically some care about sports, and some don’t. The ones who care about football are like Hartzell and are open to the idea of Urban Meyer. This is a key point: the president, AD, and BOR are on the same exact page.

Boosters then - There was a clear divide between the old guard Jamails of the world who threatened to withhold countless millions from the school if Brown was fired, and those who wanted a return to the heights Mack previously took the program. The BBs were not in box and there seemed to be a clear split between the Houston and Dallas factions. The Dallas boosters were at least able to force Brown’s resignation.

Boosters now - There is no such divide. The lines we have into both cities all favor hiring the strong, centralizing figure. You can add Austin to that group too.

Result then - With the petulance of Mack Brown and the enabling of DeLoss Dodds, Bill Powers scuttled what would have been the biggest football hire of your lifetime. This led to a shoddy search resulting in the hiring of Charlie Strong. Powers won, the school lost.

Result now - It’s impossible to know what will happen, and there isn’t yet a job opening, but if UT doesn’t land its top target it won’t be for lack of effort and pulling out all the stops. It won’t be self-inflicted.

The context between 2013 and 2020 couldn’t be more different.

That reminds of something a friend of mine told me this weekend about Mack Brown. He's been on cloud nine with UNC outranking Texas this year and is making jokes about it. 

That fat old fucker knows that hiring Urban Meyer would not be good for his own legacy at Texas. One of the opinions that Meyer is going to seek if he's serious about the job is Mack Brown's. He's got one more shot to scuttle our hopes of getting the right man at the right time, and it won't be because of some booster pull. 

That reminds of something a friend of mine told me this weekend about Mack Brown. He's been on cloud nine with UNC outranking Texas this year and is making jokes about it. 
That fat old fucker knows that hiring Urban Meyer would not be good for his own legacy at Texas. One of the opinions that Meyer is going to seek if he's serious about the job is Mack Brown's. He's got one more shot to scuttle our hopes of getting the right man at the right time, and it won't be because of some booster pull. 
200.gif

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not surprised he's on cloud nine but Herman brought him back into the fold didn't he?  I would think he has positive feelings towards Tom.

ESPN+ article that I can get on my phone but can't access on the laptop for some reason basically had this to say:

- Texas and Auburn are the two that would get things rolling

- Texas has the money

- Texas wouldn't make a move unless they are going "deep-sea hunting" and the biggest fish is Urban

- Author (Adam Rittenberg) says an industry source tells him "I could see Urban making a play behind the scenes to get that one."

- Another source: "if CDC wants Urban, he may be inclined to move."

- Another source: "Even if it's a crazy amount of money, they've got it.  I get the feeling that they feel like Herman's not the guy who can turn this thing around.  But does that mean they make the change during the pandemic or wait a year?"

just fyi

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If we don’t get Urban it will be an epic screw up of historic proportions, rivaled only by having done the same thing with Saban. Frankly, to do it two times in eight years probably means the entire system is completely broken and we might as well become quidditch fans.

Fortunately I don't think CDC is playing grabass the way that our ADept. was in 2013. Somewhat based on something I heard Friday night from a former athlete that was there during CDC's tenure.

If Urban doesn't want to come then we might be fucked either way. But if he is genuinely interested and wants to get back to coaching then I have faith that we will make it happen.

And LOL he's not going to fucking Auburn. That's a project and a half to even win their division.

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t see Auburn as viable for Meyer for multiple reasons. No inside info, just guessing. Likely leverage, IMO.

The article has been posted here on this thread. Doesn't mention Auburn as in for Meyer, just that these are the two schools who could get the firings rolling. Cristobal was mentioned as Auburn possibility. 

Edited by UncleBuck

OSU alums/boosters are funny.  I mean it's not like a guy from Ohio who is thought of as one of the best in his profession has ever started his career in Ohio, left Ohio and built his cred by winning multiple championships in Florida, come back to Ohio to get one for the home folks and then left Ohio to breathe life into a moribund blue blood and truly cement himself as one of the all time greats.  I mean that's never happened right?

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

The article has been posted here on this thread (if not it was on the Meyer thread), I believe. Doesn't mention Auburn as in for Meyer, just that these are the two schools who could get the firings rolling. Cristobal was mentioned as Auburn possibility. 

That was my thought. Auburn wouldn't be in play for Meyer.

The other options after Meyer drop off severely enough IMO that I could see CDC just kicking the Herman can down the road another year to see if a better option presents itself. In other words, I'm not sure change just for the sake of change is the best idea.

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

OSU alums/boosters are funny.  I mean it's not like a guy from Ohio who is thought of as one of the best in his profession has ever started his career in Ohio, left Ohio and built his cred by winning multiple championships in Florida, come back to Ohio to get one for the home folks and then left Ohio to breathe life into a moribund blue blood and truly cement himself as one of the all time greats.  I mean that's never happened right?

Are you comparing Urban to LeBron.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

If there is any truth to Urban being interested in the Cowboys, then he certainly isn't too concerned about the effects of coaching on his health.

That's one wild ass pressure cooker.

Jerrah isn't sending Fat Mike packing in a matter of months.  He gets a mulligan over Covid, starter injuries, and possibly a blame-game carousel over retained assistants.  It took far too long to send Garett packing.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahahaha. Wait, for reals?

Mack Brown doesn't give a shit about anything but his legacy and being able to go to his grave believing that he should have never been ousted at Texas and they'll be forever cursed by inflicting that indignity upon him. Herman was able to get Brown to his PC and such because Brown had little choice as a paid employee of the program. That was all Herman's theater in showing that the mantle had, at last, been rightly passed and now a real pro was going to bring Texas back. The only person Mack Brown is cheering for is Mack Brown.

Haha.  Thanks.  Ok so I’ll reverse it.  Does Tom give a shit about Mack?

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Haha.  Thanks.  Ok so I’ll reverse it.  Does Tom give a shit about Mack?

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

LOL the biggest narcissist in the state of Texas...no Tom, does not give a shit about ANYONE

I agree with RGBIII.

That considered, I didn't mean to imply that Mack Brown hates Herman or is incapable of having true positive feelings towards him or anything. I was simply responding to the premise of Brown wanting to see anyone else, Herman or otherwise, succeed at Texas while he's still breathing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with RGBIII.

That considered, I didn't mean to imply that Mack Brown hates Herman or is incapable of having true positive feelings towards him or anything. I was simply responding to the premise of Brown wanting to see anyone else, Herman or otherwise, succeed at Texas while he's still breathing. 

Agree with that.  Mack is always about Mack and there were rumors he and sally hated how much credit will muschamp got here.  

my best guess is communication between Tom and Mack were pretty minimal before that press conference 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I dunno. I kinda see a zoom call reminiscent of the scene from Dances With Wolves where Costner’s character slowly realizes that the commander of Ft. Hays is crazy. Mack, instead of mad scribblings and references to English knights, advises Urban while alternately taking a bite from a fresh baked cookie and a half wrapped stick of butter before standing up and revealing that he’s pissed himself.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahahaha. Wait, for reals?

Mack Brown doesn't give a shit about anything but his legacy and being able to go to his grave believing that he should have never been ousted at Texas and they'll be forever cursed by inflicting that indignity upon him.

But Mack DOES love Sally's cookies!

People don't understand that public persona Mack is a much different person than Mack Brown. We should all remember because of the shitshow he made his firing and replacement, but he was a dick the whole time he was here, and he was beyond worthless after we won the championship. A good friend of mine who played for Mack said Mack was often a huge asshole and he thought his HS coaches were better than Mack and Co. He was kind of stunned by it all when he got to campus.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas