Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

I’m going to provide a counter argument on Herman, but preface it by saying I waited way too long to throw in the towel on Strong.

While Meyer would most probably be a coaching upgrade, there still is a slight chance that Herman could be or become a highly successful coach. CTJ has provide the most damning evidence about Herman by saying that he is widely disliked among the administration and boosters. There is also damning evidence from the on field results last year and this year so far.

However there still are some glimmers of hope with this guy. According to hfd, players mostly like him. I find it hard to believe but let’s assume that’s true. He also has figured out how to upset much stronger opponents on occasion. If you squint really hard, maybe it’s just taking some time to put it all together and they will get better and better for the remainder of the year and into the future.

Man, just typing this makes me realize the odds are greatly against it. What a waste of letters and thumb movements. Nevermind.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Fud said:

I wonder how much Urban truly gives a shit about Mack's opinion at the end of the day if he has a nice Texas offer sitting on the table 

You’d hope that Urban would be able to distinguish between legit issues and bullshit sour grapes excuses from Mack. 

And that CDC et. al would be able to convince Urban that any issues Mack raised have been/could be dealt with, and that there is a completely different AD in power now, different university leadership, etc. 

And also that at the end of the day, Urban’s competitive nature and ego would convince him that even if he believed Mack’s complaints, he could still win big at Texas.  

I mean all these guys have galactically huge egos, so it seems like there would always be an element of “yeah that was an issue for you, but it won’t be a problem for me”

Probably just depends on if Urban is really looking for more information or just an excuse to pass on the offer. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m going to provide a counter argument on Herman, but preface it by saying I waited way too long to throw in the towel on Strong.

While Meyer would most probably be a coaching upgrade, there still is a slight chance that Herman could be or become a highly successful coach. CTJ has provide the most damning evidence about Herman by saying that he is widely disliked among the administration and boosters. There is also damning evidence from the on field results last year and this year so far.

However there still are some glimmers of hope with this guy. According to hfd, players mostly like him. I find it hard to believe but let’s assume that’s true. He also has figured out how to upset much stronger opponents on occasion. If you squint really hard, maybe it’s just taking some time to put it all together and they will get better and better for the remainder of the year and into the future.

Man, just typing this makes me realize the odds are greatly against it. What a waste of letters and thumb movements. Nevermind.

That was a fun little journey. Thanks for bringing us along.

45 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This - and he made this decision twice. He had two chances to win that game by making 3 yards. And he played for the tie both times. 

Tom lost me last year, not during the 2020 OU game; but these are exactly the types of decisions that affirm my belief that his coaching instincts are subpar and are unlikely to ever change. He has a knack for getting aggressive when he shouldn't and turtling when he should get aggressive.  

Really?  Ya'll think his season hinged on OU and that choice?  Was going for 2 all of a sudden going to make him a competent coach and his teams be well coached and disciplined?

NO.  We got beat in "HIS YEAR" by the worst OU team in 22 years or more and it took Sam going superman to get us there.  Beating OU in overtime would have been nothing more then the comeback over Tech.  A mirage that prolonged the suffering.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don't know, maybe there is a group of players that love him, but at the same time, we have heard from almost the outset how much his players don't like him and how often he has almost lost this team for me to believe the team in mass loves him.  Then again, I can remember being extremely defensive about my dad complaining about my high school football coach so who knows.

15 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Really?  Ya'll think his season hinged on OU and that choice?  Was going for 2 all of a sudden going to make him a competent coach and his teams be well coached and disciplined?

Oh dear god no - I had no illusion that he was going to do anything significant this year regardless of how that game ended. Like I said, I was done with Tom a year ago. 

I was just citing this as an example of why he'll always be a mediocre coach. 

15 hours ago, Treefidy said:

That’s just not true though.  His contract is available online, just use the googles and look for the pdf.  He’s owed 5M for each remaining year, pro-rated.  His contract period is 12/1/2016 through 12/31/2023.   He’s currently owed 3 years, 2 months and a week which is about 16M.  On 12/1 he will be owed 3 years, 1 month about 15:4M. 

this waiting until 12/1 for 5M to drop off is just false

(3) the University will pay to Coach, in lieu of any and all other legal remedies or equitable relief available to Coach or LLC, liquidated damages equal to $5,000,000 for each remaining contract year (pro-rated for partial month/months) of the unexpired Term of this Agreement as stated in Section 3 above.

And further:

"Coach acknowledges that he will minimize the payments due to him under this Section 7.B and agrees to make reasonable efforts to obtain other employment as long as the University EXECUTION VERSION 13 has the obligation to make such payments. If Coach obtains new football-related employment during the Payout Period, the University shall offset against the liquidated damages paid to Coach the amount of any post-termination football-related income that Coach receives, earns, or is owed for such employment through the Payout Period. Coach shall immediately, but no later than twenty (20) days, upon/after acceptance of other employment, notify the Men’s Athletics Director in writing of such employment and the total compensation to be paid to Coach for the employment. In addition, Coach agrees to either provide the University with, or allow the University to audit, a copy of his W-2 form(s), relevant 1099’s, and other tax documents related to earnings for each calendar year corresponding to the years, if any, that the University has the obligation to make payments under Section 7.B."

He'll get another HC gig and the cost will be offset. 

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Oh dear god no - I had no illusion that he was going to do anything significant this year regardless of how that game ended. Like I said, I was done with Tom a year ago. 

I was just citing this as an example of why he'll always be a mediocre coach. 

Sorry I think I was meaning to reply to @Fastbreak with that reply not you.

12 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

That would depend...if suddenly getting pissy because Tom Hicks tells you that he has an agreement in place to bring Saban in as your replacement so you can ride off into the sunset and you scuttle the whole thing....then on top of that when you know you are leaving, you waste all of the head coach in home visits so your successor won't have any....

If you got fired from a company you revitalized the brand for, wouldn’t you be pissed? Mack, for all his faults did take us to 2 title games and there should have been a 3rd. And we showed him the door because he was putting up the same results as Herman. I’d be bitter too.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think Tom should be gone but the frustrating part is he is so close to winning so many games that we lost.  That being said you have such a talent advantage coaching at Texas should the games shouldn’t be that close right?  Data points needed:

no conference title in four years

1-4 vs ou

1-3 vs tcu

double bird at camera

not following orders regarding the eyes.  

Any combination of the above is grounds for termination 

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think Tom should be gone but the frustrating part is he is so close to winning so many games that we lost.  That being said you have such a talent advantage coaching at Texas should the games shouldn’t be that close right?  Data points needed:

no conference title in four years

1-4 vs ou

1-3 vs tcu

double bird at camera

not following orders regarding the eyes.  

Any combination of the above is grounds for termination 

We could just as easily be 1-4 as we could 5-0 this year. That’s Herman in a nutshell. We pay him to win those games, or better yet, win and leave no doubt. His saving grace is the he doesn’t get blown out like Mack did. Doesn’t make me feel any better about losses. Especially when they come against teams we are supposed to play our 3rd stringers in the 4th.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

If you got fired from a company you revitalized the brand for, wouldn’t you be pissed? Mack, for all his faults did take us to 2 title games and there should have been a 3rd. And we showed him the door because he was putting up the same results as Herman. I’d be bitter too.

So, he should feel better when we can Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

We could just as easily be 1-4 as we could 5-0 this year. That’s Herman in a nutshell. We pay him to win those games, or better yet, win and leave no doubt. His saving grace is the he doesn’t get blown out like Mack did. Doesn’t make me feel any better about losses. Especially when they come to teams we are supposed to play our 3rd stringers in the 4th.

Getting beat by the shittiest OU and TCU in years is not a saving grace. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

"Never mind" saved you.

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

letting him rebuild his staff after last year was such a colossal mistake. somebody should fire CDC too.

Huh? You enjoyed last years staff? Or do you mean allowing Herman to pick the new one?

Edited by Hank_Hill

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Mack got well compensated for his work here. Then he got lazy and burned out and was allowed to collect his salary while basically doing nothing.  He could be pissy sure.  He could also be a professional and not try to completely sabotage the program on his way out the door.

Tom Hicks himself thought he was doing Mack a favor since he was burned out.

Lots of people pour themselves into something and don't try to burn it to the ground like a high school kid when it is time for them to step aside.

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

Lots of people poor themselves into something and don't try to burn it to the ground like a high school kid when it is time for them to step aside.

Agreed. This website has a fucking cacophony of posters pooring this site into ineptitude with every new thought they vomit out of their keyboards. I've poored myself into numerous mudholes and smooth Internet buttfuckings. Each new post poors us further down the drain.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Agreed. This website has a fucking cacophony of posters pooring this site into ineptitude with every new thought they vomit out of their keyboards. I've poored myself into numerous mudholes and smooth Internet buttfuckings. Each new post poors us further down the drain.

Think its time to poor myself a drink

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Poors is our Standard

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Zone Read said:

While I agree with your opinion, it is worth noting that there have been a serious amount of top 25 upsets this year, more than any previous year I can remember.  So while all teams have had the same issues, there are quite a few in the same boat that we are.

What bothers me the most and now has me on the fire Mensa train is that this is the year with a veteran group against others (ou and TCU) that aren’t as experienced we should have not just beat them but it should have been lopsided victories for Texas.  The fact that we lost those games and looked undisciplined, unmotivated, unprepared, and out coached has me way past anger to apathy.  If Herman can’t beat Riley this year when it seemed Riley didn’t even want to play the season is just beyond pitiful.  Even if somehow we win and get to the CC game Riley will bitch slap Herman again so not sure how Tom can possibly save his job at this point.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

image.jpeg.1c16bc650aab244e44cf891576b1a6ca.jpeg

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

What bothers me the most and now has me on the fire Mensa train is that this is the year with a veteran group against others (ou and TCU) that aren’t as experienced we should have not just beat them but it should have been lopsided victories for Texas.  The fact that we lost those games and looked undisciplined, unmotivated, unprepared, and out coached has me way past anger to apathy.  If Herman can’t beat Riley this year when it seemed Riley didn’t even want to play the season is just beyond pitiful.  Even if somehow we win and get to the CC game Riley will bitch slap Herman again so not sure how Tom can possibly save his job at this point.  

we aren't making the CC game.  this is a team full of average who are porely coached. This is all on CDC.  Has he done his fucking homework like a highly compensated AD should be expected to and have his list of 3 that he knows will come and will he fire Herman such that we can save our recruiting class a bit.

I keep hoping the early signing date gets scrapped so we don't have the problem of not having a coach named because he doesn't want to leave his pour current program while they are still playing games.

of course if it is Urban the above doesn't matter.  you fire Herman as soon as you have Urban agreed to and install Ash.

it is time for Texas to quit dicking around and put the big boy pants on.

Edited by dcar00

5 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Hey now. Herman would have to get a team to the championship game in order to turn a championship game participant into a 5-7 team in the space of an offseason.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas