Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

But Mack DOES love Sally's cookies!

People don't understand that public persona Mack is a much different person than Mack Brown. We should all remember because of the shitshow he made his firing and replacement, but he was a dick the whole time he was here, and he was beyond worthless after we won the championship. A good friend of mine who played for Mack said Mack was often a huge asshole and he thought his HS coaches were better than Mack and Co. He was kind of stunned by it all when he got to campus.

I don't know why this keeps getting posted?  Most people that enjoy that level of success or reach that pinnacle point learn how to be one thing in public and something completely different in other settings.  Guess what... Saban is capable of being a total ass when he wants, Urban as well, I'm sure Dabo is same, as are Harbaugh(both of them), Jimbo, Malzahn, etc etc etc.   Jimmy Johnson is a total waste of a human being outside of being a football coach 20+ years ago.  I can't speak to Coach Royal ( only met him once) or Landry or others further back, but I will reference what James Street said in regards to Royal.  "His door was always open for you, but you never ever wanted to have to walk through it."

Lots of people that are "beloved in public" and highly successful are total ass hats in private.  Tom's issue is that he's a total ass hat all the time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I don't know why this keeps getting posted?  Most people that enjoy that level of success or reach that pinnacle point learn how to be one thing in public and something completely different in other settings.  Guess what... Saban is capable of being a total ass when he wants, Urban as well, I'm sure Dabo is same, as are Harbaugh(both of them), Jimbo, Malzahn, etc etc etc.   Jimmy Johnson is a total waste of a human being outside of being a football coach 20+ years ago.  I can't speak to Coach Royal ( only met him once) or Landry or others further back, but I will reference what James Street said in regards to Royal.  "His door was always open for you, but you never ever wanted to have to walk through it."

Lots of people that are "beloved in public" and highly successful are total ass hats in private.  Tom's issue is that he's a total ass hat all the time.

I don’t think urban or saban are beloved in public?   Known assholes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've been pointing to this weekend since the TCU debacle, personally. I will obviously take a W if this cockroach of a coach escapes death for another week by some miracle. However, he's going to get outcoached, he's on the road, and he hasn't fixed shit. If Gundy leads OSU to a double digit win, I wouldn't be surprised to see Herman being shown the door by Sunday evening, November 1. 

Talks are happening, and they've been going on for awhile. It's pretty basic - "show me a job, first, and sure, maybe we can make this work." That's a pretty reasonable approach by everyone. Del Conte has one job here right now when it comes to football - fire Fuckface when we're eliminated and then get out of the way. The path to getting back to elite CFB for Texas is obvious for the first time in a long time. Get rid of the mirage at the helm and hire one of the best coaches in history, who happens to be available.

Can Texas fuck it up? You bet. They're aware of past fuck-ups this time, and doing what they can to avoid a circus. I hope that means they're going to act quickly and decisively the minute there is no doubt left in the schedule. 

Does this mean we have to actually fire Herman first or just tell UM he's going to be fired? If the former, seems like a potential chicken/egg problem

12 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Yeah, thanks. Mack being an asshole behind the scenes or players coming through and not liking him doesn't change the fact that he won a shitload of football games. The Alabama game in 2010 ruined him afaic and the program along with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just realized that Herman gave a press conference today and, save a single Brian Davis tweet, it has been completely ignored on the board

In the last days of Mack I remember someone saying that in sports apathy is a worse sign than anger.

When a group of people so engaged in a team/sport that they spend a significant amount of time on an internet forum discussing it completely ignores a coaches weekly presser, you're getting pretty damn close to apathy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, freyguy said:

He doesn't necessarily have to be fired.  As I suggested further up, he can be reassigned to scrubbing bird poop from the Jester sidewalks.

I was planning to power wash my driveway and sidewalks soon, but I got no problem putting mensa on the job.

15 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I just realized that Herman gave a press conference today and, save a single Brian Davis tweet, it has been completely ignored on the board

In the last days of Mack I remember someone saying that in sports apathy is a worse sign than anger.

When a group of people so engaged in a team/sport that they spend a significant amount of time on an internet forum discussing it completely ignores a coaches weekly presser, you're getting pretty damn close to apathy.

Just take a look at the desolate wasteland of the recruiting board, I think apathy is very apt at this point

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So a team leader pushes an opponent from behind after the play is dead.  Twice.  In two separate games.  And there's no malice.  There's no lack of discipline. That leaves me with a couple of options:

He did it for fun

He did if as taught and coached (disciplined)

He did it because he just doesn't give a shit anymore.

We're talking about a four-year starter.  That we're even discussing it is a fucking joke.  Every fucking answer from Vince Lombardi over there is either an excuse or an admission of poor coaching/management of the team. Always somebody else's fault or he'll make sure the coaches get right on that issue.  After four fucking years.  They'll get right on teaching a team captain how to play with sportsmanship and/or intelligence.  They're gonna work to establish a run game.  After four fucking years.  A team is a direct reflection of the coaching regime.  This team is stupid and regressive and doesn't really care.  FTH.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
timeline
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I'm certainly not defending Tom Herman. Just reiterating that Mack Brown is a self-absorbed asshole who wants to see Texas fail. 

Yes, and that's why the clown has been smiling so much over the last several years.   Like I said awhile back, Sally could come coach here for a year, take Texas to the playoffs, and she'd find her bags on the front porch when she got home.   

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I just listened to it. He is being a little extra pissy than normal. He's mentioned Covid and not being able to have spring ball multiple times and talking down to reporters.  No new injury news which is good. 

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I just listened to it. He is being a little extra pissy than normal. He's mentioned Covid and not being able to have spring ball multiple times and talking down to reporters.  No new injury news which is good. 

Probably my favorite part was, when asked about Ossai's injury, he said "in lay man's terms" then proceeded to give the medical journal name.  It may have actually been the most condescending answer to a question he's ever given.

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

Shit, Saban blamed Waddle for his injury, stating during his half time interview, "It was a mistake to run it out of the end zone." Saban is the ultimate asshole, but he wins like no other at the college level.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Probably my favorite part was, when asked about Ossai's injury, he said "in lay man's terms" then proceeded to give the medical journal name.  It may have actually been the most condescending answer to a question he's ever given.

I heard that clip.  And I'm pretty sure Herman just enjoyed the hell of the opportunity to respond as such.

Prick. 

32 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I heard that clip.  And I'm pretty sure Herman just enjoyed the hell of the opportunity to respond as such.

Prick. 

Mensa was laying on pretty heavily the issues of COVID and no spring to install both new defensive and offensive systems...

Kinda funny, one minute he tells you it's his old offense with just a few tweaks, next minute it's an installation of a new offense...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I just watched Saturday's game for the first time this afternoon. Knocked it out in an hour instead of the normal 4 hours of frustration, anger, and boredom.

Record and fast forward my friend. It's the only way.
  • Like 1

How this goes in the next 3-4 months will tell the world a lot about how we're organized (at the highest levels) and what we are willing to do to get back up. 

Are we willing to toss Tom and his crew over the cliff and start over? It means spending a PAINFUL amount  of cash in a cash tight environment and perhaps not getting the guy that so many are hoping for. I hope CDC has the stomach for it. I believe he does.

If it were to go down that we dump Herman and get Meyer, it would tell the world that we are damn serious. I believe most of us that spend too much time and money supporting Texas athletics ARE damn serious. 

Perhaps the eyes of the world are upon what we do in the next few weeks. 

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

If we don’t get Urban it will be an epic screw up of historic proportions, rivaled only by having done the same thing with Saban. Frankly, to do it two times in eight years probably means the entire system is completely broken and we might as well become quidditch fans.

wait...its not cool to be a quidditch fan?

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

So a team leader pushes an opponent from behind after the play is dead.  Twice.  In two separate games.  And there's no malice.  There's no lack of discipline. That leaves me with a couple of options:

He did it for fun

He did if as taught and coached (disciplined)

He did it because he just doesn't give a shit anymore.

We're talking about a four-year starter.  That we're even discussing it is a fucking joke.  Every fucking answer from Vince Lombardi over there is either an excuse or an admission of poor coaching/management of the team. Always somebody else's fault or he'll make sure the coaches get right on that issue.  After four fucking years.  They'll get right on teaching a team captain how to play with sportsmanship and/or intelligence.  They're gonna work to establish a run game.  After four fucking years.  A team is a direct reflection of the coaching regime.  This team is stupid and regressive and doesn't really care.  FTH.

This is so earily similar to late Mack Brown.  establish the running game with no hope to do it because your OL is a fucking disaster.  without Sam our running game is pure shit.

this is EXACTLY why we fired Mack Brown and he had a National Championship on the wall.

Just now, 927 E. 41st said:

No, but it's probably been easier than being a football fan over the last decade.

I really wish baseball would get its shit together.  things are always much better when baseball is great.  we always had that to fall back on and would make me forget about football and of course basketball for a while.  It is crazy that our current AD hired none of the Big 3 and they all suck or kinda suck.  One thing is for sure, CDC is going to have the opportunity to leave his mark.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

That’s when you know the marriage is over.   That and when you’re caught sniffing come off strippers.  Or so I’ve heard.  

Edited by stork642

Remember when we laughed at LSU for hiring the Ogre and we beat them to the punch for Herman?  LSU has straight up lucked into titles with their last two coaches.  Meanwhile, since the 2009 debacle we’ve literally fucked our own faces.  It’s exceedingly irritating.

Can’t be sick about lsu, they pay players and get the very best of high quality Louisiana talent. Always going to be difficult to compete with that.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas