Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

30 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Hoping for a loss at Okie lite in order to rid ourselves of Herman has me depressed as fuck. If it's a close loss does it mean there's hope or does it need to be a curb stomping? 

They’re pretty much all close losses. And that’s the problem. We find ways to lose close games, and we make every game...a close game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What in the blue fuck have any of you dipshits been watching over the first five games of this season that would make you think this team/coach is capable of winning out? Do you even watch the games? I know it's painful to do so, but I actually have. And despite the excessive drinking that this team has compelled me to partake in, I do remember most of the shit that they tried to pass off as football. And believe you me, there is absolutely zero indication that this team is capable of doing much beyond self-destructing.

Seriously, how could you ever think something like winning out is possible? Was it the way they were gutted by a shitty Tech QB who has since been benched? Perhaps it was the endless string of dumbass penalties and special teams fuck ups against TCU and OU? Maybe it was the way that they couldn't run it down the throat against weak ass and awful Baylor? 

Y'all need to shut the fuck up about this ridiculous winning out bullshit. You'd be better off believing in the tooth fairy. Or Charlie Strong. This is a bad football team coached by a bad coach that plays stupid, losing football. And nothing is going to change around here until he gets his ass fired.

Winning out? Lol. Go fuck your own face with that nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What it appears to trace itself back to is simply Herman's arrogance.  Certain teams and coaches he thinks he can impose his will upon without extraordinary effort.  Other teams, he knows he's outmatched talent- and coaching-wise and expends an extra effort to beat them and sometimes pulls it off.

Very reminiscent of John Mackovic in that regard. Mackovic would occasionally do infuriating things offensively to "prove" that he could. They often blew up in his face.

Specifically, I recall losing to Baylor in 1997 despite Ricky Williams carrying the ball 31 times for 241 yards and 2 TDs (7.8 yd/carry avg. and being completely unstoppable), Mackovic went away from giving him the ball in the 4th quarter and we lost 23-21. But at least JM was the smartest guy in the stadium that day.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Hoping for a loss at Okie lite in order to rid ourselves of Herman has me depressed as fuck. If it's a close loss does it mean there's hope or does it need to be a curb stomping? 

Pretty much all of our losses are close losses.  There is no room to argue that a close loss is any indication of progress.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

We have a poster on this thread who knows plenty of players reporting that the players love Herman.

It's not hard to believe at all. Most players love coaches who don't discipline them for their mistakes.

You know what players really love? Winning fucking football games. Unfortunately, many of them are not interested in the work or focus it takes to do so.

20 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Please god let Okee Lite just win so we can end this..I can't imagine going through weeks more of this circus

Been said before on the thread, but I'll never root for a Texas loss. I won't be surprised, or particularly upset, if it happens. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Guys like Herman never learn from their mistakes because it was never their fault.  If/when he's fired this year, he will blame COVID for preventing his new staff from being able to build a winner.  He will blame EOT for riling up the fanbase.  He will blame the players for not executing his dynamite gameplan.  He will blame everyone but himself for his state of affairs.  That's a deadly flaw that never goes away.  He would be the next Saban, if it wasn't for...  There will always be an excuse to justify his unjustifiable arrogance.  Is he a failure?  No, no, it's everyone else who failed him.
TSRH^^ In every presser since the blowU debacle he's mentioned the lack of winter workouts, shortened fall camp and new offense and defense at least once, sometimes multiple times.

Newsflash douche canoe, nobody had winter conditioning..everyone had abbriviated fall camp, and the new offense and defense is on YOU. Rapelor had all that plus a new HC and rona issues...yet almost came back and beat us at home. Baylor...with not even half our talent level if recruiting stars matter.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

The defense has gotten better week by week, if Herman were to cede play calling duties strictly to Yurcich are we a team that could theoretically (hypothetically?) win out?

Yes the defense has improved week to week, however it's nowhere near as improved to carry this team into the Dub column alone. The offense has to start being consistent (in a good way, not the mediocre way)

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Pretty much all of our losses are close losses.  There is no room to argue that a close loss is any indication of progress.

It was only progress in comparison to the previous guy.  but its certainly not progress in comparison to where we want to be.

33 minutes ago, XYZ said:

You say that like a loss to OSU means Herman gets fired.

"They are the Number 6 ranked team in the entire country, and this is a really big country with a lot of talented teams . I'd say they're even better than their ranking. But I'm really proud of our guys, they fought all game. I told each of them in the locker room just how proud I am. I can honestly say to a man, there's not a single quitter on this team and they love playing for each other. It's reeeally hard to win in this league. Every week you're playing a really good team. We had a great practice on Sunday and we'll cleanup our mistakes.

This team is unique in that we haven't been able to have our normal camps and practices due to covid. I haven't seen any film of the game yet, we're focused on going 1-0 starting on Saturday. " 

[Drinks water for 10 seconds]

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

"They are the Number 6 ranked team in the entire country, and this is a really big country with a lot of talented teams . I'd say they're even better than their ranking. But I'm really proud of our guys, they fought all game. I told each of them in the locker room just how proud I am. I can honestly say to a man, there's not a single quitter on this team and they love playing for each other. It's reeeally hard to win in this league. Every week you're playing a really good team. We had a great practice on Sunday and we'll cleanup our mistakes. I haven't seen any film of the game yet, we're focused on going 1-0 starting on Saturday. " 

you forgot his normal Covid excuse

3 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

You people are putting a lot of faith in a coach (Mike Gundy) that has not been proven historically to win big games.

Playing this Texas team is not a big game.  Gundy will take his loss to OU, maybe twice.  OSU is not a big enough name to get the Herman overachieves treatment.  There's nobody on this "improving" defense that can stop Chuba.  We will see him enter the Heisman race by the end of Saturday.

7 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

"They are the Number 6 ranked team in the entire country, and this is a really big country with a lot of talented teams . Even with a shortened summer workouts, limited practices and battling health issues I'd say they're even better than their ranking. But I'm really proud of our guys, they fought all game. I told each of them in the locker room just how proud I am. I can honestly say to a man, there's not a single quitter on this team and they love playing for each other. Anybody who knows anything about football knows It's reeeally hard to win in this league. Every week you're playing a really good team with elite speed. We had a great practice on Sunday and we'll cleanup our mistakes. I haven't seen any film of the game yet, we're focused on going 1-0 starting on Saturday. " 

fify

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

you forgot his normal Covid excuse

I'll help

"They are the Number 6 ranked team in the entire Covid-filled country, and this is a really big  Covid-filled country with a lot of talented teams but only one, that being mine, that wasn't allowed to have a lot of practices and install our new offenses and defenses. Not sure whose idea it was to change those during a Covid year but that can't happen.  I'm really proud of our guys, they fought all game. Fought all last Sunday practice after that monumental victory over Baylor. A lot of teams would have gotten too big of a head after holding that squad under 20 points, but our guys know that we're just trying to win every week. I told each of them in the locker room just how proud I am, with a giant kiss on the lips, only separated by our Covid masks. Speaking of Covid, it's really been an uphill battle trying to get this team going during Covid. I can honestly say to a man, there's not a single quitter on this team and they love playing for each other during Covid. It's reeeally hard to win in this league during Covid. Every week of Covid you're playing a really good team. We had a great practice on Sunday and we'll cleanup our mistakes, and try not to get Covid. I haven't seen any film of the game yet, we're focused on going 1-0 starting on Saturday, but as you know that starts on Sunday. Sunday, Covid Sunday." 

• Hook 'Em 1

Been said before on the thread, but I'll never root for a Texas loss. I won't be surprised, or particularly upset, if it happens. 

Exactly how I feel. I love the logo too much to root for a loss...ever.

But if we go 4-6 and the asshole gets fired, then you know, whatever.

3 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

I'm not convinced that Herman's "mistakes" are fixable. The evidence to date suggests he's just not a good head coach. Herman has more talent than Mack Brown's last couple of years and worse results. There are lots of things Mack could have (and should have) done better. It's hard to look at any aspect of the team this year and say, if only this one thing were better we'd be great. It's hard to even find something that we're really good at. If Herman had to potential to be a great coach, I'd expect to see some signs of it. I just don't.

The only thing in Herman's favor is that he is writing on a pretty clean slate.  The guy is woefully inexperienced.

As has been pointed out, Texas has a habit of hiring pretty inexperienced coaches and it hasn't worked out too well for us.

2 hours ago, UhhhIdk said:

The defense has gotten better week by week, if Herman were to cede play calling duties strictly to Yurcich are we a team that could theoretically (hypothetically?) win out?

Nope. We are too inconsistent on offense to score in the 40s. The OL is trash, our savior QB battles long stretches of poor play followed with short stretches of Heisman level effort, the WRs still can break press man coverage, and for some reason Brewer is still getting the majority of the reps at TE.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas