Jump to content

Sam Ehlinger


wild_turkey

Recommended Posts

On 8/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, Tex Long said:

I'd be more happier if #MensaTom worked a little lot harder at having a backup QB not just ready to run the plays from the week's game plan, but actually doing so in games. A two-TD lead in the first half ought to get him on the field, and a successful possession ought to give him another shot.

NB - not saying backup should run the same progressions, but from the same game plans... 

 

On 8/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, EastTexan said:

Hmm. 2 td lead in first half. Don't think we need backup in that situation. Maybe with 5-6 min in 4th quarter.

 But agree. Backup needs more playing time.

 

On 8/3/2020 at 8:40 AM, Tex Long said:

I understand the reluctance, but the backup can't do worse than a turnover TD, and if he doesn't see the field until Q4 and only with a "safe" lead, neither he nor coaches know what he can do, in the (hopefully) unlikely event the first-string QB goes down. Who knows, with a little confidence, maybe the backup can even find his helmet when he needs to go in...

 

 

On 8/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, Burt Macklin said:

 

Just stop.  This is an unbelievably stupid take. You don't put your backup in when you're up 2 TDs in the first half, especially not when you have one of the 3 or 4 best QBs in all of college football.  Tom needs to get the backup more reps in games where we're comfortably ahead in the fourth quarter, which requires leaving your starter in for the first 3 quarters to build up the lead. 

RewardingImpassionedGermanshorthairedpoi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34. SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS

Ehlinger is coming off an exceptional season in which he earned a 90.1 PFF grade that ranked seventh in the FBS. He’s been one of the 10 most valuable quarterbacks in college football in each of the past two years now. And he has protected the ball exceptionally well in that span with the fourth-best turnover-worthy play rate. As said in the 2020 PFF College Magazine, Ehlinger can take his play to an even higher level if he gets a tad better in going through his progressions and doesn’t bail as often on clean pockets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2020 at 5:44 PM, LTtxfan said:

34. SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS

Ehlinger is coming off an exceptional season in which he earned a 90.1 PFF grade that ranked seventh in the FBS. He’s been one of the 10 most valuable quarterbacks in college football in each of the past two years now. And he has protected the ball exceptionally well in that span with the fourth-best turnover-worthy play rate. As said in the 2020 PFF College Magazine, Ehlinger can take his play to an even higher level if he gets a tad better in going through his progressions and doesn’t bail as often on clean pockets.

Not that it matters much, but I have no clue how they decided to drop Sam all the way to 34. They had him graded as the 7th best player in the country last year and their version of WAR (WAA) had him as the 5th most valuable player, regardless of position. At least a couple of the guys ahead of him in that category will be playing in the NFL this year, so I have no clue how taht leads PFF to ranking him 34th entering his senior year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not that it matters much, but I have no clue how they decided to drop Sam all the way to 34. They had him graded as the 7th best player in the country last year and their version of WAR (WAA) had him as the 5th most valuable player, regardless of position. At least a couple of the guys ahead of him in that category will be playing in the NFL this year, so I have no clue how taht leads PFF to ranking him 34th entering his senior year. 

Unless they're trying to project pro potential - none of those ratings make any fucking sense.  PFF has Ehlinger as a second round pick in their mock and simulator - so I think that maybe is what they're trying to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2020 at 8:40 AM, Tex Long said:

I understand the reluctance, but the backup can't do worse than a turnover TD, and if he doesn't see the field until Q4 and only with a "safe" lead, neither he nor coaches know what he can do, in the (hopefully) unlikely event the first-string QB goes down. Who knows, with a little confidence, maybe the backup can even find his helmet when he needs to go in...

 

during the 30 game win streak, St DKR would have the second string in by the second quarter, and the 3rd string in the 3rd quarter. Not one starter played enough minutes to letter in 1969 under the normal rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, LTtxfan said:

5. SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS (+1800)

9592574.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

(Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

Coming off another impressive season statistically for the Longhorns, Ehlinger enters his senior season at Texas with one last opportunity to win a Big 12 Championship, something he has tried to obtain since his arrival in Austin. Marking his third season as the starter for Tom Herman, Ehlinger this fall gets a new offensive coordinator to bring out his best, Mike Yurcich (Ohio State). Ehlinger rushed and threw for more yards last season than he did in 2018 and has 80 total touchdowns over his last 27 starts. Texas also backtracked from 10-4 to 8-5. If the Longhorns contend for a Big 12 title this fall, Ehlinger will likely have the numbers to be in the Heisman Trophy discussion at the end of the regular season.

 

Hey #5 on the heisman odds! holy smokes! That's really impressive.   A 4th year player, with nearly 40 games under his belt, he guy has really paid his dues and has earned it. 

Out of curiosity, who is #4 on that list?  Here's the link-

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-Heisman-Trophy-odds-preseason-Justin-Fields-Trevor-Lawrence-Jamie-Newman-Spencer-Rattler-Sam-Ehlinger-149318100/#149318100_12

  • Fuck You 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

 

Hey #5 on the heisman odds! holy smokes! That's really impressive.   A 4th year player, with nearly 40 games under his belt, he guy has really paid his dues and has earned it. 

Out of curiosity, who is #4 on that list?  Here's the link-

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-Heisman-Trophy-odds-preseason-Justin-Fields-Trevor-Lawrence-Jamie-Newman-Spencer-Rattler-Sam-Ehlinger-149318100/#149318100_12

Why the fuck is Rattler on this list? No way in hell will he receive votes. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Any qb starting for Riley will be a heisman hopeful every august.   But he will receive plenty of votes by december when they see how good he is.

 Looks like i gave him his 100th downvote. What a shame. 
 

JointAdeptEmperorshrimp-size_restricted. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2020 at 12:31 PM, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Any qb starting for Riley will be a heisman hopeful every august.   But he will receive plenty of votes by december when they see how good he is.

I guess you’re not aware that your vag coach is trying like hell not to play this year.  He knows exactly what he has in Rattler.  

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

No way Sam stays for fifth year 'victory lap'. That boy is going to rack up 4000+ yards, 50+ TDs, a Heisman, a Natty, and 5+ homicides of dudes he trucked on his way to the #1 overall pick.

You heard it here first.

We have a new neighbor, Uncle Elon needs to make an offer he can not refuse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Oh, thought we were talking about UT all time. Didn’t see FBS active. I’m sorry atom. I have your same feelings. You’d think a Trevor Lawrence or some such would trump Sam. 

No biggie, Sam benefitted by starting so young.  A lot of other active QBs didn't start until sophomore/junior years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...