Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

9 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

I know Sam may not be the #1 QB in Texas history, but he’s still the shit!  He’s a Longhorn super fan that happened to have the physical tools and the balls to get out there and try to win big for us.  I’m pretty sure nobody wanted Texas to be successful the last 4 years more than he did.  He had shitty coaching and wasn’t VY level, but I love the guy for giving us his all.  I wish him nothing but the best going forward,

This is why people love him so much. He’s living out a lot of our own childhood dreams. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I love Sam, but there is one thing I will criticize him on.  While it's wonderful to think that we always have a chance at a comeback... the problem is not rallying the troops early enough to NOT have to ever be worried about a comeback. We had some many wasted opportunities in most of the games that we came back in, that coming from behind should never have been an issue.  

But shit I criticized the fuck out of our offensive game plan against USC in the Natty.  Why we didn't run the fuck out of the ball and pound a shorthanded USC defensive front is what allowed us to be in a shitty situation of needing to make a comeback.  We should have blown USC out that day.

18 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

This is why people love him so much. He’s living out a lot of our own childhood dreams. 

Yeah, mine included.  But he’s willing to get hurt to win for Texas.  Most people wouldn’t do that, probably for good reason.  Anyways, Sam is a badass that did his part.  He would have scored 2 at the end of the OU game.....he would have held onto the ball vs Iowa State last year.  He’s there for us in spite of fucking Mensa!  Fuck Tom Herman!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, satyanash said:

Case had a career sub-60% accuracy. Sam surpassed that mark as a sophomore, as a junior, and as a senior. You're grasping at straws.

Case also had a career 5.9 adjusted yards per attempt compared to Sam's 8.2, tied with 1st place Colt

but he missed that one long pass that one time

• Hook 'Em 1

I love Sam. Kid is a good QB and competitor.  But he doesn't block or play defense, and he plays on a crappy team. He's not the one losing games for us. He's just failing to make up for all the other deficiencies.   That said, if we have a better QB who can take the job next year, I'm all for it.  I hope he comes back.  The team is better with him.

8 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

This may have already been discussed, but what's the take on pursuing a grad transfer if Sam decides to not return? Seems to me like it would be a great way to avoid the scenario of Card starting with only a true freshman (project) backing him up. 

With Herman at the helm? Almost none. He'll roll with Thompson or Card and be the know all of everything football. 

• Rage+1 1

I'm more concerned with his 4-6 record against TCU, OSU, and ISU. Sam had his time. He was a good QB, but he has plenty of flaws that contributed to the inconsistent offensives performances. I know the Texas QB position has been shit since 2009, but there is a good chance the next QB at Texas is better than Sam.

7 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

This may have already been discussed, but what's the take on pursuing a grad transfer if Sam decides to not return? Seems to me like it would be a great way to avoid the scenario of Card starting with only a true freshman (project) backing him up. 

Thompson will start the next two years while Card rides the bench. Thompson has 2 years in Herman’s system already & beat out Card for the backup spot this year (save me the “but Herman won’t be here next year!” pipe dream). He’ll have to shit the bed for Card to get a shot. I think even if we get our wish and Herman leaves, Thompson starts over Card at least going into the season.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:57 AM, horn4life said:

I love Sam, but there is one thing I will criticize him on.  While it's wonderful to think that we always have a chance at a comeback... the problem is not rallying the troops early enough to NOT have to ever be worried about a comeback. We had some many wasted opportunities in most of the games that we came back in, that coming from behind should never have been an issue.  

But shit I criticized the fuck out of our offensive game plan against USC in the Natty.  Why we didn't run the fuck out of the ball and pound a shorthanded USC defensive front is what allowed us to be in a shitty situation of needing to make a comeback.  We should have blown USC out that day.

USC had damn near 600 yards of offense, we weren't blowing out USC.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

Some think Thompson will transfer if Card is perceived as beating him out AND we bring in an upperclassman grad transfer QB. The only way around that that I can see is if they find a FR transfer who is not considered a budding star. 

On 12/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

to the Sam haters

outside of Colt and Vince, who are better quarterbacks that have started for Texas?

as good as/better than Sam: Chris Simms, Duke Carlisle, Bobby Layne, James Brown, Major Applewhite, to name a few, not to mention that Texas was just about the last traditional power to accept that the forward pass wasn't just a fad. also not to mention that today's stats are crazy inflated compared to years past due to the paradigm shift in football. he's a solid top 10 QB all time at Texas. It is by no means a given that he's a top 5 QB ever at Texas. it's 50/50 at best. The difference in Sam and Applewhite is negligible. 

yes, Sam's stats stack up very well with most UT QBs; yes, we all love Sam; yes, he loves UT; yes, he's tough as nails; yes, he beat OU and won the Sugar Bowl; yes, he is one of the better QBs in school history; yes, we should all remember him fondly from now until forever. That said, is he en exceptional QB in any regard other than maybe moxie? NO. Capital N, capital O. NO; Dak Ehlinger is not an especially talented or amazing QB. he's a lifelong Longhorn QB with a great story whose legend has been overblown by UT fanbois, 95% of whom don't actually know a single thing about Texas football pre-Ricky. But hey, don't let that stop the cult from proclaiming him a demigod. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Dak* was an error in the previous post but seeing as how Sam was earnestly compared to Dak (and Colt, and Vince) in this thread it seems appropriate.

FTR:

150.85- Sam Ehlinger QB rating over the last 2 years at Texas

151.1- Shane Buechele QB rating over the last two years at SMU- and Shane didn't have Collin Johnson or Duvernay to bail him out and make him look better than he actually is. but yeah, Sam is just once-in-a-lifetime special. 🙄 

• Like 1

the saddest part about this entire thread is that if Sam was from Utah or New Jersey or Oregon then there wouldn't be this irrational divide with how he's viewed among the fan base. hell, if he was from fucking Round Rock there wouldn't even be a divide. it's embarrassing to witness.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the saddest part about this entire thread is that if Sam was from Utah or New Jersey or Oregon then there wouldn't be this irrational divide with how he's viewed among the fan base. hell, if he was from fucking Round Rock there wouldn't even be a divide. it's embarrassing to witness.

dude, I pretty much agree with you that he's as good as the quarterbacks you mentioned in post#7641 although Applewhite has such a ragdoll arm I wouldn't put him in that company.

the point is that group of quarterbacks including Sam should have 1 or 2 losses a year with the talent on campus during the Tom Herman regime.

most of the losses we have experienced are caused by Tom Herman, not any one player

Dak* was an error in the previous post but seeing as how Sam was earnestly compared to Dak (and Colt, and Vince) in this thread it seems appropriate.
FTR:
151.1- Shane Buechele QB rating over the last two years at SMU- and Shane didn't have Collin Johnson or Duvernay to bail him out and make him look better than he actually is. but yeah, Sam is just once-in-a-lifetime special.  
I'd like some consideration for Garrett Gilbert here too.

11 hours ago, hookem48 said:

USC had damn near 600 yards of offense, we weren't blowing out USC.

The REASON USC had 600 yards of offense is because we DID NOT run the fucking ball and take control of possession.  They were shorthanded on the defensive line and Greg Davis did not pound the middle.  Had he simply done that, the 600 yards would have been a hell of a lot less and we would not have been playing from behind. Their defense would have been exhausted and easier to take advantage of.  It was a great comeback, but we should have controlled that game for the git go, simply by looking at the Trojan defensive line depth chart.  Instead we got the Greg Davis cocktail napkin offense with a dearth of pounding the middle.

The REASON USC had 600 yards of offense is because we DID NOT run the fucking ball and take control of possession.  They were shorthanded on the defensive line and Greg Davis did not pound the middle.  Had he simply done that, the 600 yards would have been a hell of a lot less and we would not have been playing from behind. Their defense would have been exhausted and easier to take advantage of.  It was a great comeback, but we should have controlled that game for the git go, simply by looking at the Trojan defensive line depth chart.  Instead we got the Greg Davis cocktail napkin offense with a dearth of pounding the middle.
I'm not sure we blow them out but 26 points after 54 minutes is very Greg Davisesque.

We needed a big 4th down stop and an easy INT to be dropped to get to 41.

He’s started every game for the past 4 years, except maybe 3 I believe. 

Every single one of those games they’ve shown that pic of him throwing up the hook em as a kid or that video of him throwing the football with his dad. Every single one. We get it. He’s a lifelong horn that overcame tragedy. I don’t know Sam personally but I bet he hardly ever talks about either of those things and is mostly focused on moving forward.

53 minutes ago, Had Enough said:
9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:
FTR:
151.1- Shane Buechele QB rating over the last two years at SMU- and Shane didn't have Collin Johnson or Duvernay to bail him out and make him look better than he actually is. but yeah, Sam is just once-in-a-lifetime special. emoji849.png 

I'd like some consideration for Garrett Gilbert here too.

You joke but Garrett is still making an NFL paycheck and wasn’t awful filling in for the Cowboys. It’s pretty clear he just mentally broke here and was much better than what he showed. For all the slack that’s given to Sam for playing with lackluster offensive talent, that team Gilbert QBd was far worse than any Sam has played on. Id be willing to bet he has a longer NFL career than Sam.

For the record, I’d take Sam as my QB over those two, but the margin isn’t nearly as wide as you’d like to believe.

Edited by ChemicalHorn

You joke but Garrett is still making an NFL paycheck and wasn’t awful filling in for the Cowboys. It’s pretty clear he just mentally broke here and was much better than what he showed. For all the slack that’s given to Sam for playing with lackluster offensive talent, that team Gilbert QBd was far worse than any Sam has played on. Id be willing to bet he has a longer NFL career than Sam.
For the record, I’d take Sam as my QB over those two, but the margin isn’t nearly as wide as you’d like to believe.
Actually, I've liked Gilbert and supported him post Texas. He probably cratered under the pressure but his situation was pretty poor here. And he was good at SMU. I've posted this before as well. It is as good a play as you will ever see.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KVBtHB7D2g.

But my comment was to point out several things. SMU vs Texas are two different animals. Part of that being the hometown pressure that is a little extra for guys like Gilbert and Sam too.

This argument is stupid. We all like Sam, but it's time to move on. He's a good, not great qb, but he had heart and loves our university. The blame for losses goes further than just Sam. Herman is #1, dropped balls, over/under thrown balls, bad game planning, and the list goes on. It is what it is, and nothing will change that. It's time for change no matter who the coach is next season. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Actually, I've liked Gilbert and supported him post Texas. He probably cratered under the pressure but his situation was pretty poor here. And he was good at SMU. I've posted this before as well. It is as good a play as you will ever see.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KVBtHB7D2g.

But my comment was to point out several things. SMU vs Texas are two different animals. Part of that being the hometown pressure that is a little extra for guys like Gilbert and Sam too.

Fair enough. Definitely agree with your last comment, it’s different to light up ECU vs TCU. Would have been pretty interesting to see Shane throwing to CJ, Dev and LJH in an offense that suited him better than Herman’s clunker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

the reason they had 600 yards of offense is because their offense was fucking good, we were not blowing out USC