The movie you just watched

F250

The Train is the last great action movie shot in B&W. Beyond Lancaster, the supporting cast is largely unknown and they are fantastic.

Ran across a great Peter O'Toole BBC film on Amazon, Rogue Male. Based on a novel by Geoffrey Household. Prior to WW2 a British upper crust hunter tries to assassinate Hitler and fails. He's captured, tortured and left for dead by the Gestapo, but escapes back to England. British government has to disavow his action or fear declaration of war. The Germans pursue and when he kills one of them in London, the police hunt him for murder. Complicated story, but very engaging. Excellent performance by O'Toole. According to wiki, there's a remake in the works with Benedict Cumberbatch.

23 minutes ago, RPM said:

The Train is the last great action movie shot in B&W. Beyond Lancaster, the supporting cast is largely unknown and they are fantastic.

Ran across a great Peter O'Toole BBC film on Amazon, Rogue Male. Based on a novel by Geoffrey Household. Prior to WW2 a British upper crust hunter tries to assassinate Hitler and fails. He's captured, tortured and left for dead by the Gestapo, but escapes back to England. British government has to disavow his action or fear declaration of war. The Germans pursue and when he kills one of them in London, the police hunt him for murder. Complicated story, but very engaging. Excellent performance by O'Toole. According to wiki, there's a remake in the works with Benedict Cumberbatch.

I mean, Peter O’Toole has very few , if any, bad efforts 

13 hours ago, RPM said:

The fellow who played the Major, the sane one, was also in The Longest Day and a whole bunch of German, and European, films.

The favorite title I saw was from 1958, The Italians They are Crazy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051711/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_138

Watched A Star is Born on HBO. One thing he was right about during his drunken rant, that song she sang during SNL was hot garbage. The other songs show some actual talent, it is a shame that she had to make herself look freaky and sing stupid repetitive lyrics to make herself famous. 

On 7/31/2019 at 10:36 PM, Continental Op said:

The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018) - Girl gets caught in the back of a limo with the prom queen and gets shipped of to a gay conversion therapy center.  Comes off like a halfass afterschool special. 

All afternoon specials can be improved with nudity. 

The Winning Season

Sam Rockwell, Rob Corddry, Margo Martindale, Emma Roberts. Don't know how I missed this one before today. Rockwell is the alcoholic coach of a HS girls basketball team and as always, he delivers a stellar performance.

• Like 1

Blue Water, White Death (1971) is a documentary about people looking for sharks off of the coast of South Africa.   In a turn that would be borrowed by Wes Anderson they bring a folk singer (This guy: http://www.tomchapin.com/, who is available for booking!) along with them for some reason.  Apparently this film inspired Benchley to write Jaws.  If you like movies about sharks with some bonus whale harpooning/skinning action this one is for you.  

Edited by Continental Op

Shazam! - Had never heard of the hero or the comic books-- thought it was a cute movie and enjoyed it. The CGI 7 sins was hokey but it was a fun kid movie.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- I read the books as a child up until this one and I'd watch the movies previously up to this one, but for the last 20 years I haven't been living under a rock so I sorta kinda know the premise of this one and the general HP arc/story, but I was pretty surprised at how poorly HP movie has aged. The movie feels campy and the effects/magic are camp big time compared to movies in 2019, which I guess is to be expected. And I guess this is the movie where HP turns into a teenager entering puberty because he's really acting out and confused and emo.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:11 AM, Parliament said:

Say what now?

He said Tokyo Drift was good, you gotta fuckin problem wit dat?

On 8/5/2019 at 6:45 PM, RPM said:

Den of Thieves - Gerard Butler, 50 Cent

Ex-military crew robs the LA Federal Reserve. Lotsa shoot 'em up.

I've seen this a couple times.  Heist movies always get me.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Jograves said:

My chick and I watched this recently. I had low expectations but it was pretty good. I don't understand why he talked that way but whatever. Didn't ruin the movie for me. 

He talks that exact way in Hell or High Water.

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart and in Hell or High Water, the character he plays, talks with the exact same twang, voice inflection and tone.

Hence the confusion, he was talking about A Star is Born.

Den of Thieves - Gerard Butler, 50 Cent
Ex-military crew robs the LA Federal Reserve. Lotsa shoot 'em up.
100% pure, unadulterated cheese. (A giant storm sewer under a bank vault? Come on.) But so what. Great movie. Cheesy action movies usually don't make for good sequels, but a sequel with Butler, or prequel with whatshisname the leader bad guy. Would be good.

On 8/6/2019 at 6:14 AM, Rougarou said:

Shazam! - Had never heard of the hero or the comic books-- thought it was a cute movie and enjoyed it. The CGI 7 sins was hokey but it was a fun kid movie.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- I read the books as a child up until this one and I'd watch the movies previously up to this one, but for the last 20 years I haven't been living under a rock so I sorta kinda know the premise of this one and the general HP arc/story, but I was pretty surprised at how poorly HP movie has aged. The movie feels campy and the effects/magic are camp big time compared to movies in 2019, which I guess is to be expected. And I guess this is the movie where HP turns into a teenager entering puberty because he's really acting out and confused and emo.

Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire

What a weird series and weird experience watching these for the first time like 15 years late (though Americans airlines only has the first 4 so now I’m stuck).