Brush with greatness

Jshep34

This thread seems gay, but whatever. I posted the full story on the old board but the short of it is that I introduced myself and shook hands with Prince William and then got him to take a pic with my wife and MIL... who prior had mocked me for the idea. I'm divorced now and fuck them, but I made it happen.

The calvacade of stars I've met and/or interviewed for work over the last 8 years is pretty ridiculous... it'd be unfair to unload the stories here. Matt Bullard is a fucking ICON 

FWIW I'm high as balls right now and it feels beautiful

Edited by KaiserSoze

One night I was eating dinner at Bohanans with my ex-wife. I started noticing a few burly dudes around the bar area who were wearing suits and earpieces, so I leaned over and told her, "There's about to be somebody important up in here." Sure enough, a couple of minutes later Vicente Fox walked out of the elevator.

My ex is latina and she sorta had a thing for him, so she was giving him the hard stare and smiling at him. He handled it perfectly - he noticed her and then looked directly at me, walked up to our table and shook my hand. Then he shook hers too. He was pretty slick about the whole thing.

Strange, but I've also met Ernesto Zedillo. I haven't ever met an American President.

I met Chuck Berry and he signed a record for me.

I met Bo Diddley after jumping onstage and going behind the curtain after a show.

I opened for Junior Brown once.  

I stood inline behind Kenny G at airport security in Tokyo.  Didn't speak with him, but he gave off the air of an entitled douchebag. 

Went to a wedding in VA...bride was a college friend of my wife.  Community was pretty exclusive and they had booked a small restaurant for the rehearsal dinner.  Restaurant was closed to the public for the party and they had locked the door once all the guests arrived.  During the cocktail hour I was standing by the door and heard someone pulling on it and knocking on the glass.

I walked over, looked through the window and saw Robert Duvall trying to get in.  I told him..."Sorry, they're closed.  Private party."  He thanked me and left. 

We used to eat at Michaels in Vegas when it was in the Barbary Coast.  There were always celebs in there.  Sat next to Don King once.  Another time I passed Dean Smith and Roy Williams leaving  as we walked in.

I was on an episode of What Would You Do? back in the day.  Mark Summers, yes, THE Mark Summers came up to me and asked me to do something funny for the show, but my 9 year old crossed eyes routine wasn't worthy and so he moved on.  We weren't even supposed to be part of the studio audience, but someone traded tickets with us before the show started.  

Other B-list celebrities I've met are Bruce Campbell and Shawn Michaels.  I marked out when meeting HBK....and sadly I was in my early 20s.  

I hung out with Don King and Ricky Schroeder at a small private event during W’s second inauguration.  Had no idea who Ricky Schroeder was but his wife was hot.  Seemed like a cool dude.  

Also hit Bill Russell with an errant shot off the tee box on a course in California.  I did not apologize.  

13 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

I hung out with Don King and Ricky Schroeder at a small private event during W’s second inauguration.  Had no idea who Ricky Schroeder was but his wife was hot.  Seemed like a cool dude.  

Also hit Bill Russell with an errant shot off the tee box on a course in California.  I did not apologize.  

could you see him when you hit? 

Mine are unremarkable.

Sat in Matthew McCaughnay's box at DKR in 2007. He wasn't there, but I got to hang out with his mom, who is one cool gal.

Ricky Williams' daughter was on my daughter's volleyball team a couple years ago. He came to one of the games and couldn't hide his boredom, but let's face it, neither could any of us. Fourth graders suck at volleyball. I sat a few chairs from him, but left him alone because I didn't want to be annoying fanboy.

I don’t know if these are great, but fall under the famous category. 

Worked in the studio with:

beyonce, weezer, lil keke, pinkus from butthole surfers, exchanged a few letters with Henry Rollins, almost ran over Ian mackeye as he came out of the Black Cat in DC, went to mrs fields with Chaka Malik of Orange 9mm (probably too obscure for this list), worked with Porcell (Judge, Youth of Today, Shelter, etc).

need to think, there might be a few others. 

Had a few at the airport over the years.

Saw both Mack Brown and Steve Patterson on different occasions.

Almost ran into Dax Shepard (pretty sure) in the area by the Salt Lick taco stand.

Sat down one day in one of those more comfortable chairs and looked to my left and I'm sitting right next to Benicio Del Toro.  His thighs were massively fat.  Dude must have glandular issues.

Not in Austin, but was sitting across from Scott Frost one day in Dallas but I had to Google the Oregon coaching staff to figure out which one it was.

Talked to Jerry Jones and Barry Switzer at a bar in Stuttgart, AR at Duck Gumbo. They were, of course, surrounded by a throng of smokin hot blondes in their early 20s. 

Took shots with Rob Zombie's guitarist in a dive bar in Mountain Home, AR, his hometown. His name escapes me. Probably from the Jagr shots.

Love the Ricky Williams volleyball story.  My daughter went to elementary school with his son Prince.  You could tell Ricky was super uncomfortable at every school event.  He'd lurk off to the side and was clearly hoping nobody would chat him up.  (Pretty much nobody did.)  Bo Davis (UT defensive line coach) also had a son there.  That kid was sweet on my daughter, which was hilarious, because he was already about 6' tall and sounded like James Earl Jones.

2 hours ago, Richter said:

Had a few at the airport over the years.

Same. In addition to the BB King autograph I mentioned earlier, which happened in an airport, I've seen Lyle Lovett, Jerry Jeff Walker, Junior Brown, Craig Way and RC Slocum in airports and/or had them on my flight. I've also sat next to Tom Penders and Kelly Willis on flights.

Penders was hilarious. This was when he was still coaching at UT. He came on board with a bag of Taco Bell and was slamming jack & cokes. Nice guy. He was more interested in hearing about what I did for a living than talking about himself. Kelly Willis was sweet but she slept most of the flight (or pretended to?)

EDIT: didn't mean to imply Penders was "greatness" (or RC and Craig Way for that matter)

Edited by Art Vandelay

Airport encounters:

Matt Hoffman - Chicago

Edge and the Hurricane (wrestlers) - Minneapolis

Kevin Nealon - on my flight - Ft Myers

Kenny Omega (wrestler)- Winnipeg

Dennis Franz, Billy Baldwin - Calgary

Undertaker - Austin

Def Leppard - Sat in front of the Minneapolis to Winnipeg - drummer had 2 arms at the time

Terrell Owens - Atlanta (he was eating Popeye's)

Others:

Played street hockey with Dale Hawerchuk as a kid, he lived next to a friend

Sat beside Sandra Bullock at Shady Grove

On 3/27/2018 at 1:35 PM, Reagan1k said:

We used to eat at Michaels in Vegas when it was in the Barbary Coast.  There were always celebs in there.  Sat next to Don King once.  Another time I passed Dean Smith and Roy Williams leaving  as we walked in.

Was one of my favorite places in the world to eat--probably been a dozen times or more. Always felt like a mobster was going to get whacked there.

Edited by Cheeseweasel

1 minute ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Airport encounters:

Edge and the Hurricane (wrestlers) - Minneapolis

Kenny Omega (wrestler)- Winnipeg

Undertaker - Austin

WWE was in town one night and some of my buddies happened to go out to a bar that some of the wrestlers were at.  Edge was there, along with JBL, Finley, some other dudes I don't remember, and Hornswoggle.  As my buddy is havin' a drink, a glass mug narrowly missed his head and shattered against the wall next to him.  He immediately got up all pissed, not sure where the mug came from, until he realized that Hornswoggle was the one who threw it.  Given the company he was sitting with, my buddy decided to sit back down.  The wrestlers were cool though, they paid their tab and then quickly got the hell out of there.

In HS we used to play pickup games of hoops with Rodney Hampton when he was playing for the Giants. 

Hung out with Joe Rogan at a bar one night.

Worked for UT Athletics my last year in Austin(1997-98) so got to meet tons of people there as well as our athletes. Too many to list.

Know Leland Sklar and his wife fairly well.  Enough so that we've been to each other's homes. (he's one of the most famous bass guitarists)

Otherwise I've met a bunch just randomly in life.  Dustin Hoffman, George W Bush,  Chelsea Clinton, Heather Locklear, Robert and Jonathon Kraft(and a bunch of 2001 Patriots), Dennis Miller, Boomer Esiason, Lamar Lathon, Jack Pardee, Bryan Cox, Warren Moon, Craig Biggio, Moises Alou, Vinny Castilla, Jose Cruz, Billy Gibbons, Willie Nelson