3* QB Sam Saxton commits as PWO (grandson of Jimmy)

ztejas

A three star with Michigan State, Nebraska, Memphis, and multiple Ivy League offers is about as good of a long term depth/project take as you can get in today's climate. Especially without a scholly. I like it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

A three star with Michigan State, Nebraska, Memphis, and multiple Ivy League offers is about as good of a long term depth/project take as you can get in today's climate. Especially without a scholly. I like it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nebraska and Michigan State didn't offer.

I was going to be a dick and point you to the recruiting  board, but it wasnt there and they are normally on top of these things.  they are probably  too busy looking for new Kate Beckinsale pics, cracking jokes at hamm, and writing a thousand words reacting to a high schooler tweeting 2 characters.

• Like 3

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

I was going to be a dick and point you to the recruiting  board, but it wasnt there and they are normally on top of these things.  they are probably  too busy looking for new Kate Beckinsale pics, cracking jokes at hamm, and writing a thousand words reacting to a high schooler tweeting 2 characters.

It's not usual to create commit threads for PWOs, but if you want to start a thread, nobody is stopping you.

• Like 1

Sorry if it was poor etiquette - I posted because he is a Longhorn Legend's grandson and thought it was a cool story, more so than the actual commitment. 

Also there are a billion fucking QB to this QB to that threads already and I didn't know which of them it would fit in. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Sorry if it was poor etiquette - I posted because he is a Longhorn Legend's grandson and thought it was a cool story, more so than the actual commitment. 

Also there are a billion fucking QB to this QB to that threads already and I didn't know which of them it would fit in. 

It's not an issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Nah it's cool, there's a fun story behind it and he's not a scholarship kid the Recruiting board would make a thread for.

Hits close to home.

Grandpa Saxton's grass allergy was probably the only thing that kept Saint Darrell's first NC from being '61 instead of '63. Jimmy ripped off a good long run against TCU early in 1Q, got kinda dinged just short of the goal line, but the real problem was said to be the faceful of grass he got at the bottom of that tackle. His absence screwed up the old-time sub rules and our running game suffered to the point where we were unable to put the ball in the end zone despite having multiple first-and-goals. TCU had Sonny Gibbs at QB - something like 6'7" and 240 pounds made him pretty much the biggest thing on the field. Still remember him tossing passes with two or three 'Horns hanging onto him, unable to drag him down. They scored, and we lost that game 6-0. The limited substitution rules kept us from making a FG - not sure we even tried - I think Darrell said we woulda won 21-6 if we'd kicked a FG every time we had 4th and goal. Hey, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I think we were #1 for a whole week, maybe a little longer, but our 6-0 loss cost us that top spot in the polls. 

Also screwed up my letter to my best friend, who was Joe Willie Namath's roomie in Tuscaloosa - I was gloating over all the wonderfulness of my freshman year on the Forty Acres, what with #1 and all... and then we lost that TCU game, and guess who took our place atop the rankings? Yeah.

Well... it's been a good year for Sams, and welcome to the latest one.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Hits close to home.

Grandpa Saxton's grass allergy was probably the only thing that kept Saint Darrell's first NC from being '61 instead of '63. Jimmy ripped off a good long run against TCU early in 1Q, got kinda dinged just short of the goal line, but the real problem was said to be the faceful of grass he got at the bottom of that tackle. His absence screwed up the old-time sub rules and our running game suffered to the point where we were unable to put the ball in the end zone despite having multiple first-and-goals. TCU had Sonny Gibbs at QB - something like 6'7" and 240 pounds made him pretty much the biggest thing on the field. Still remember him tossing passes with two or three 'Horns hanging onto him, unable to drag him down. They scored, and we lost that game 6-0. The limited substitution rules kept us from making a FG - not sure we even tried - I think Darrell said we woulda won 21-6 if we'd kicked a FG every time we had 4th and goal. Hey, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I think we were #1 for a whole week, maybe a little longer, but our 6-0 loss cost us that top spot in the polls. 

Also screwed up my letter to my best friend, who was Joe Willie Namath's roomie in Tuscaloosa - I was gloating over all the wonderfulness of my freshman year on the Forty Acres, what with #1 and all... and then we lost that TCU game, and guess who took our place atop the rankings? Yeah.

Actually Grandpa Jimmy was literally knocked out from the ‘61 TCU game when he was kicked in the head deliberately by a frog defender. After the play was well over and he was getting up off the ground. I have hated those gottdamn dirty toad sumbitches ever since. Cost us an MNC.

• Like 3

Young Sam has some interesting Hudl highlights.

He could have been an FCS legend somewhere. I'm glad he made the choice he did, though. Will probably never win a scholarship, but he's also probably better than the vast majority of walk-on QBs. And a degree from the University of Texas is undoubtedly more valuable than one from Montana State. No offense, Montana.

4 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Colt was a 3 star.  Just saying.   With all this transfer nonsense,  there's  a decent chance he end up on the depth chart at some point.

Colt's national ranking on 247 was 405. Sexton's is 1159.  Your point is taken, but the comparison is still a bit of a stretch.

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Hits close to home.

All of the youngs around here should feel privileged to share this board with you and our other surlyites from your era.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Hits close to home.

Enjoyed your post. My old ass frazzled brain forgets most of the details.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Young Sam has some interesting Hudl highlights.

He could have been an FCS legend somewhere. I'm glad he made the choice he did, though. Will probably never win a scholarship, but he's also probably better than the vast majority of walk-on QBs. And a degree from the University of Texas is undoubtedly more valuable than one from Montana State. No offense, Montana.

At 0:06.  Damn, is that what Austin looks like these days?

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Actually Grandpa Jimmy was literally knocked out from the ‘61 TCU game when he was kicked in the head deliberately by a frog defender. After the play was well over and he was getting up off the ground. I have hated those gottdamn dirty toad sumbitches ever since. Cost us an MNC.

I'm with you that it cost us a MNC. 

That was one of our most devastating losses ever.  It ranks right there with the UGA loss.  

There are a lot of people that will tell you that was DKR's best team.  

edit:  Dam I'm getting old.  

Edited by Laga4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Nebraska and Michigan State didn't offer.

U right. I misread the 247 page on my phone. Still, my sentiment remains the same. At a time where we could really use a guy we know will be here for four years and isn't gonna run off because he isn't playing immediately (or ever), getting one with decent credentials without a scholly is a bigtime W.