What Was The First Ever Album You Bought on Your Own?

Vic Mackey

Another record club kiddo here, only I was with RCA Victor, as I was mostly into jazz and swing.  This was certainly one of my first that I purchased myself if not the first.  I was working at a laundromat for 50 cents an hour and LPs at the time ran $2.98 for the most part.  This was more, as it was a double album.

Released in 1960, I still had it until a house flood about 3 years ago.  I lost hundreds of LPs, 45s, and 78s.  C'est la Vie. It goes to show you never can tell.

M722duF5_o.jpg

This was great, as it included Caruso, Tommy Dorsey, Harry Belafonte, and Maurice Chevalier, an eclectic collection. I played the hell out of it in the early 60s.

Edited by abuelo gringo

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I miss the local CD Warehouse. I found so many gems in there in their used albums section. People brought all kinds of albums in there to trade in. You never knew what you would find. I was in there every week. The malls all had a record store and sometimes two. Sam Goody was a big one. 

I miss the old Ace Record Store on Elm in downtown Dallas in the 60s.  Thousands of used Blues and R&B 78s for $2-5. Never could afford much, but could spend hours just looking.

Tracklist 
A1 –Juice Newton Queen Of Hearts 
A2 –Rick Springfield Jessie's Girl 
A3 –Billy Squier The Stroke 
A4 –Pat Benatar Fire And Ice 
A5 –Climax Blues Band I Love You 
A6 –Gary Wright Really Wanna Know You 
A7 –Manhattan Transfer Boy From New York City 
B1 –Hall & Oates You Make My Dreams 
B2 –Greg Kihn Band The Breakup Song 
B3 –Pablo Cruise Cool Love 
B4 –Air Supply The One That You Love 
B5 –Alan Parsons Project, The Time 
B6 –Stars On Stars On 45 (Medley I) 
B7 –Oak Ridge Boys Elvira

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I miss the local CD Warehouse. I found so many gems in there in their used albums section. People brought all kinds of albums in there to trade in. You never knew what you would find. I was in there every week. The malls all had a record store and sometimes two. Sam Goody was a big one. 

I'd love going into Sam Goody to browse and to listen to the new albums on their headphones.  Then I'd balk at the $20 price tag on their CDs and run to a CD Warehouse to actually buy my music.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Before we had these:

s-l500.jpg

How many of you ever recorded into this:

tape-recorder-and-microphone-picture-id6

From these?

vintage-klipsch-quartet-stereo_1_e967736

I used to record all Midnight Special episodes on cassettes from the TV broadcast from the speakers of a little 12" portable TV.  Took the episode with Queen doing Bohemian Rhapsody to school the following Monday and spread around the greatness.   

• Like 4

12 hours ago, utee94 said:

Before we had these:

s-l500.jpg

How many of you ever recorded into this:

tape-recorder-and-microphone-picture-id6

From these?

vintage-klipsch-quartet-stereo_1_e967736

Better-fi, but still amusing:  hearing the opening chords of a song you wanted and scrambling over to hit play+record on  your built-in cassette deck.  Or, hearing that the song was coming up on The Zoo and hitting play+record+pause and waiting by the receiver with your finger on the pause button.

And the young agony of deciding on that first stereo:  go with the completely integrated one like in your photo, or the Technics SA202 or 303, low-end turntable and speakers for a bit more money and no cassette deck, but you knew it sounded better.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Better-fi, but still amusing:  hearing the opening chords of a song you wanted and scrambling over to hit play+record on  your built-in cassette deck.  Or, hearing that the song was coming up on The Zoo and hitting play+record+pause and waiting by the receiver with your finger on the pause button.

And then the gawddamn DJ talks over the intro to the song so whenever you want to listen to your mixtape with 867-5309 on it, you have to listen to the time and weather from 6 months prior. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jograves said:

And then the gawddamn DJ talks over the intro to the song so whenever you want to listen to your mixtape with 867-5309 on it, you have to listen to the time and weather from 6 months prior. 

And starting to record right in the middle of the last song you managed to capture this way.  So 867-5309 starts up right in the middle of Freeze Frame.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jograves said:

At the end of every year on New Year's Eve, K98 here in Austin would play the Top 98 songs of the year. I'd diligently sit there and record my favorites off the radio, and was similarly annoyed at the DJ talk.

However, I must say that many years later, going back and listening to those cassettes became a bit of an interesting view into a time capsule, so ultimately I was somewhat thankful for the chatter.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I have a very strong memory of this... bought this tape at K-mart with my own little 9-year-old money...

R-442490-1332561915.jpeg.jpg

Man this album has so many memories for me.

It was release just before Hurricane Alicia, right in the height of my BMX days.