Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

On 11/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, mdmost said:

We should see more about these on Friday but Bob Chapek on the earnings call said Ms Marvel, the Star Wars Andor series, and a live action Pinocchio with Tom Hanks will be on Disney+ next summer. Disney+ now has 118.1 million subscribers. 

On 11/10/2021 at 6:59 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Even if everybody subscribing is paying by the year, that's still around $500 million a month.  That's a helluva lot of content.

So, thinking about this and. It trying to be contrary or an asshole, but is this actually a win for Disney. 6 billion sounds like a lot on the streaming service, but if streaming destroys the movie box office is this a win?  Is this significant?

a few years back I thought Disney went over 10 or 12 billion at the box office. 118 million subs at $4.00 a pop (basically what I’m paying for Disney I assume with my bundle for Disney, Hulu and ESPN+ bring like $79 a year or something) shouldn’t be cutting it. And, there’s then the opportunity cost of not being able to license their content to other content providers. Disney has a ton of really valuable properties that a ton of the other streamers would pay handily for. 
I recognize Disney+ isn’t single handedly destroying the box office, but they’ve put out all the Pixar movies straight to plus, Cruella lost money at the box office (and I thought it was a really well done movie) I’m sure in large part because of non exclusivity of release and Jungle Book ended up being a fiasco. 
I’m not at all convinced this is the right move for them. At least if they can’t get that price point to 15-20 a month, and even then, there feels like some head winds going against them. 
maybe I’m an idiot and this is the greatest thing ever for them.  I’m just a little skeptical that further atomizing the entertainment industry is going to help consumers get better content long term or make more money for the distributor. 
big Disney+ fan btw. This isn’t a knock on their library at all, and I will be spending about $15k shortly doing a week at Disney with the family (and am even sort of looking forward to it) 

Disney has always done straight to video releases in the past. I saw that Pixar employees are unhappy that the Red Panda movie is going to Disney+ exclusively because this is now the 3rd movie Disney has done this with while all the Disney animation releases went to the theater like Raya and Encanto or at least had the expensive $30 add on window. The thought is Disney is now treating Pixar like it's a straight to video arm and some are worried the Lightyear movie might suffer the same fate. 

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Guessing shes playing Sabine

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Hera or maybe Mara Jade. I mean we've got Thrawn and Rukh already out of Filoni. I'm sure he'd love to Mara Jade into the official canon. Hell, we'll probably Jorus C'baoth so we can shoehorn in more this is how Papa Palpatine returns crap. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, thinking about this and. It trying to be contrary or an asshole, but is this actually a win for Disney. 6 billion sounds like a lot on the streaming service, but if streaming destroys the movie box office is this a win?  Is this significant?

a few years back I thought Disney went over 10 or 12 billion at the box office.

If Disney movies pull in $10 billion at the box office, that's more like $4 billion they are pulling in after the theaters/etc. get their share (Disney will get close to %50-60 in the US, but %20-40 overseas).  Box office bombs also have less of an impact if it's confined to the streaming service.

If they are pulling in $6 billion from D+, they aren't having to share any of that (although they'll have streaming and production costs obviously).

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m just a little skeptical that further atomizing the entertainment industry is going to help consumers get better content long term or make more money for the distributor. 

It's a very long game for Disney.  They could have easily released their service at $10-$14 (HBO range) and done well, but they seem to be banking on a lot of people subscribing a year at a time.  Even if they don't bump up the price, there's probably tens of millions of subscribers who are paying every month/year, but not watching all that much content, especially adults, so that's almost free money - they are subscribing for maybe the Star Wars and Marvel shows.

I'm also guessing that they are planning on a future where everybody has large enough TVs (55-inch 4Ks can be had for under $350) that they won't be going to the theaters as much.  The pandemic sped things up. They could easily keep doing the $30 same-day release or whatever it is where you buy access to movies that were just released.

I'm actually curious how the $30 premium service is doing.  Wouldn't be hard for that to get into the hundreds of millions and subsidize a huge chunk of the big-budget movies.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

It’ll be weird to put Mara Jade in now since we’ve seen the sequel trilogy and Luke’s story kinda got blunted by JJ Abrams…

There's still a 25 year time gap between the Mandalorian timeline and The Force Awakens. That's plenty of time to set her up in the universe and give her some sort of completed storyline. I mean they just introduced Grogu with the knowledge that either he turns evil with Kylo or he dies with the other students of Luke. 

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There's still a 25 year time gap between the Mandalorian timeline and The Force Awakens. That's plenty of time to set her up in the universe and give her some sort of completed storyline. I mean they just introduced Grogu with the knowledge that either he turns evil with Kylo or he dies with the other students of Luke. 

There is time, but do you want to see that story told with cgi Luke or someone besides mark hamil playing the character?  I’m not sure I want to see that. 

re Disney making all the money: Shang Chi did really well considering how poorly theatres were doing  (broke memorial weekend record?) Spider-Man still made a billion dollars despite people getting sick left and right. Theaters aren’t dead, and Disney will continue to make back on some combo of box office, $30 premium probably after 30 or 45 days that they don’t split with theaters, and monthly subscriptions as long as they continue to put out good entertaining shows. 

9 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

There is time, but do you want to see that story told with cgi Luke or someone besides mark hamil playing the character?  I’m not sure I want to see that. 

re Disney making all the money: Shang Chi did really well considering how poorly theatres were doing  (broke memorial weekend record?) Spider-Man still made a billion dollars despite people getting sick left and right. Theaters aren’t dead, and Disney will continue to make back on some combo of box office, $30 premium probably after 30 or 45 days that they don’t split with theaters, and monthly subscriptions as long as they continue to put out good entertaining shows. 

She doesn't have to exist within the Luke Skywalker storyline though. Thrawn doesn't. You could do a similar line with her of she's Ahsoka's antagonist and then gets turned back from the dark side. What Ahsoka couldn't do for Anakin. 

Edited by mdmost

5 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

There’s been a lot of talk about how much Sebastian Stan resembles young Mark Hammill. He really does and he’s already in the “family.

spacer.png

Edited by Xminus6

On 1/22/2022 at 8:58 PM, mdmost said:

To be fair, he's probably not dead. Within 25 years, he would've graduated with a degree in Jedi Philosophy and unable to find a professional job with that unmarketable degree, he's most likely working Force based Three Card Monty scams in a backwater cantina to support his spice habit and a couple of Calamari baby mommas.

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Percy Jackson series has officially been greenlit 

‘Percy Jackson’ Series Officially Happening at Disney+ – The Hollywood Reporter

Riordan is heavily involved this time, unlike the movies. 

I wish he'd go back to writing Tres Navarre.  I'm guessing he's more happy getting ridiculously rich repackaging 5th grade mythology stories.

Edited by WBT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get ready for your sub price to go up and the old price be for this:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220304005303/en/Disney-to-Introduce-an-Ad-Supported-Subscription-Offering-in-Late-2022/

Disney+ to Introduce an Ad-Supported Subscription Offering in Late 2022

Will Provide Greater Accessibility to a Broader Audience and Give Consumers More Choice and Control

March 04, 2022 09:01 AM Eastern Standard Time

NEW YORK & BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In a first for Disney’s premier direct-to-consumer streaming service, Disney+ will expand its offerings for consumers by introducing an ad-supported subscription in addition to its option without ads, beginning in the U.S. in late 2022, with plans to expand internationally in 2023.

“Since its launch, advertisers have been clamoring for the opportunity to be part of Disney+ and not just because there’s a growing demand for more streaming inventory”

Tweet this

“Expanding access to Disney+ to a broader audience at a lower price point is a win for everyone - consumers, advertisers, and our storytellers,” said Kareem Daniel, Chairman, Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution. “More consumers will be able to access our amazing content. Advertisers will be able to reach a wider audience, and our storytellers will be able to share their incredible work with more fans and families.”

Disney leads the market with quality and premium ad experiences. It is home to the industry’s premier ad-supported streaming services, including Hulu, a pioneer and leader among all ad-supported video-on-demand subscription services, and ESPN+, which continues to pave the way for direct-to-consumer sports programming and live events. This type of innovation, driven by advertising that is contextually relevant to viewers, will soon extend to Disney+.

“Since its launch, advertisers have been clamoring for the opportunity to be part of Disney+ and not just because there’s a growing demand for more streaming inventory,” said Rita Ferro, President, Advertising, Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution. “Disney+ with advertising will offer marketers the most premium environment in streaming with our most beloved brands, Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and National Geographic. I can’t wait to share more with advertisers at the Upfront.”

The ad-supported offering is viewed as a building block in the Company’s path to achieving its long-term target of 230-260 million Disney+ subscribers by FY24.

More details, including launch date and pricing, will be announced at a later date.

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sounds like a reason to raise the price of the current subscription model 

They were already doing that.  They have been moving over family friendly shows from Hulu /ESPN docs lately and now with them getting the Netflix Marvel shows like Daredevil and Punisher they open it up for mature content they’ll be bringing over Deadpool/Logan and other R/MA content the price increase was just a matter of when not if.  The big question is what will they do with Hulu.  I think they may let it be the “live TV” component and have a few streaming options (Hulu originals that are owned by other studios but that Hulu has exclusive rights to while it’s active) and maybe a few rotating options but all new stuff going forward will be on Disney+.

38 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Are the Netflix Marvel shows for sure coming over?  Just got through the Defenders season with my kids and they are bummed that they cant watch the last Daredevil season.

This month! 

• Like 1

Turning Red was awful. Didn’t feel like a Pixar movie at all. It felt more like an autobiography of whoever wrote or directed the movie. I can see why they just released it directly to Disney+ instead of a theatrical release. This had box office bomb written all over it if it hit the theaters. 

1 minute ago, Yev Kassem said:

Turning Red was awful. Didn’t feel like a Pixar movie at all. It felt more like an autobiography of whoever wrote or directed the movie. I can see why they just released it directly to Disney+ instead of a theatrical release. This had box office bomb written all over it if it hit the theaters. 

Watching with my boys now (8 and 10).  They are loving it but it’s not for me.  Reviews are good though.

Just now, Bosco said:

Watching with my boys now (8 and 10).  They are loving it but it’s not for me.  Reviews are good though.

Yeah, my seven year old enjoyed it too. I just expect more from a Pixar-brand movie. 

Luckily Lightyear will out this summer to redeem themselves. 

• Like 1

Is this supposed to be some sort of symbolism for a girl getting her first period? And turning into a monster (emotionally, of course)

11 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I don’t mind a movie of this kind being made….it just feels really weird to do as a Pixar release. 

So I had a work dinner last night. I usually do movie night with the kids (4 and 8 ) on Friday and told the wife to put this on and watch with them - they saw the trailer and were excited about it.  

I come home to a haranguing because “I didn’t research whether it was appropriate.”  My answer was “It’s Pixar”.  My daughter was upset by the bullying and I guess wife  was worried the 4 year old  would be scarred by the period allegories. I don’t know.  I suggested she had the authority to put something else on, but my kids threw me under the bus by saying I insisted they watch it.  🙄  

So - yeah - maybe not the best Pixar movie for the 8 and under set, I guess.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

18 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So I had a work dinner last night. I usually do movie night with the kids (4 and 8 ) on Friday and told the wife to put this on and watch with them - they saw the trailer and were excited about it.  

I come home to a haranguing because “I didn’t research whether it was appropriate.”  My answer was “It’s Pixar”.  My daughter was upset by the bullying and I guess wife  was worried the 4 year old  would be scarred by the period allegories. I don’t know.  I suggested she had the authority to put something else on, but my kids threw me under the bus by saying I insisted they watch it.  🙄  

So - yeah - maybe not the best Pixar movie for the 8 and under set, I guess.  

Different strokes- my girls are 6 and 3 and watched it twice already. They think it’s funny

Piling on that Turning Red was not an enjoyable movie experience for anyone. My wife and I didn't like it, my sons was completely uninterested and my daughter who would have related the most didn't like it either. Only half of us made it to the end; we all concluded we were just glad we didn't have to pay for this and it was free (we paid for Sing 2 when it came out and everyone loved it and the same kids have seen Encanto like 15 times).