War movies

jimmyjazz

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

It's more Holocaust history than WWII, but Conspiracy is very good. It's about the Wansee conference where Heidrich organized the logistics of killing and disposing of 6 million+ people.

Yeah, that was a terrific film.  Branagh did a masterful job showing how Reinhard Heydrich steered the narrative towards a grudging group consensus approving the extermination of millions of people.  Highly recommended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Patton is about a complex, badass general with some flaws.  Not sure I would call it a negative movie about WWII.

Was IRATR replying to that?

I didn't expect this.  Dr Wikipedia say there are more anti-war films about WWII than Veitnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-war_films_about_World_War_II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-war_films_about_the_Vietnam_War

they are including German cinema in the former

Edited by notre dame joe

Was IRATR replying to that?

I didn't expect this.  Dr Wikipedia say there are more anti-war films about WWII than Veitnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-war_films_about_World_War_II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-war_films_about_the_Vietnam_War

they are including German cinema in the former

I didn't intend my post post to be confrontational. I thought he was responding to the post immediately above it. That Patton was a film that portrayed WWII in a negative light-at least against the US. In my view, Patton does not portray US in a bad light.

10 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I didn't intend my post post to be confrontational. I thought he was responding to the post immediately above it. That Patton was a film that portrayed WWII in a negative light-at least against the US. In my view, Patton does not portray US in a bad light.

So yer trying to be anti confrontational ??

To Hell And Back.  The story of Texan Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in WWII.  He was one badass son of a gun.  

(Proud Dad) my son was inducted into the Sgt. Audie Murphy Club, which is a big deal for soldiers. Becoming an Audie Murphy historian is part of the deal. I’ve learned a ton from him on the subject. Also, what was Murphy’s ranch is only about 30 miles from my place
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Gettysburg - best made for TV war movie imo

While it was made for TV, when Turner saw how good it turned out he decided to do a limited theatrical release first.  I went to see it then.  The only person I could talk into going with me was my oldest son who was 10 or 11 at the time.  It was over 4 hours long and had an intermission.  I think it is the absolute best war film I’ve seen in the theatre.

On 5/27/2019 at 5:01 PM, RPM said:

True, but with the exception of the Jew thingy they treated captured civilians and POWs relatively well. Japanese had a different POV.

True, the Japanese point of view was slanted. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Battle of Britain - underrated and still contains the best aerial sequences ever captured on film

The Devils Brigade - interesting story about the 10th mtn div.

Gettysburg - best made for TV war movie imo

A Bridge Too Far gives a fantastic insight to the many sides of a specific battle and is very well acted and shot... and the locations they used were incredibly realistic

Bonus - Allied - really fell through the cracks but was extremely enjoyable

Love The Devil's Brigade especially this scene....

On 5/29/2019 at 8:34 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Two Saturdays ago I did a double feature of The Green Berets and Stripes. That was a blast. Over Memorial Day Weekend I did my usual Band of Brothers marathon. Still the single best piece of television ever produced, imo. It's still gripping from start to finish. 

I'm due for a rewatch of The Great Escape. Tora! Tora! Tora! should be in the queue too if I can find the time. 

I'm a sucker for any b&w WWII movie from the 40's. 

This man probably rents pigs.

HBO just aired The Cold Blue, a documentary about the 8th Air Force. Really, really good. Most of the footage was shot by William Wyler and his crew, one of whom was killed in action filming. I didn't realize the 8th lost more men than the Marine Corps in WWII. Several interviews with surviving 8th members. Highly recommend checking it out.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 8:29 PM, RPM said:

I didn't realize the 8th lost more men than the Marine Corps in WWII.

Yep.  Even crazier.  At one point, casualty rates with the 8th eclipsed 25% per mission.  With a mandatory 25 sorties required by each crew member.....they knew deep down they were probably not going to make it.  Yet they flew anyway.

On 5/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that was a terrific film.  Branagh did a masterful job showing how Reinhard Heydrich steered the narrative towards a grudging group consensus approving the extermination of millions of people.  Highly recommended.

Indeed. Very chilling, how nonchalantly the murder of millions was set into action.  It’s on Prime (and HBOGo/Now) if anyone is interested. Very good film. 

Edited by Dutch