Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

7 minutes ago, thepop said:

One year doesn't erase the rest of this decade. These kids grew up watching a mediocre or worse Texas.

yep, and opposing coaches are running a very successful negative campaign on Texas. we seem to be doing very little to counter.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah but there's a whole new thread on the Football board for another airing of the '05 Rose Bowl last night on LHN so THERE

I don't know how many threads Derka can start about "the good ole days". I keep waiting for someone to call him out on it.  It drives me nuts. 

27 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I guess Umanmielen would be ...

The longer this recruitment goes, the less landing spots he's going to have. He's gonna fuck around and get Marcus Stripling'd. 

If he continues his delusional shit and wants to play DE in a 4-3, he's got even less options.  His choices got dinged again, since Oregon has taken 2 DEs in the past week and he'd be looking at DT or nothing there. If he wants in at Texas or OU he better come to a decision on the quick because neither is going to hold a spot for him. OUs depth chart at DE is a fucking quagmire of JAG bodies but I guess they'd take him with the thought that there's going to be some portal happening. 

• Like 1

Here's my pessimistic (or realistic?) view of where we're at right now, with keeping the class small as to not fill up too much of the roster with reaches 
QB- Card, Jackson
RB-¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WR- Johnston,¯\_(ツ)_/¯, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OL- Garth, Majors, Parr, Lindberg, Karic
DL- Collins, Logan-Redding,¯\_(ツ)_/¯
B- Dorbah
ATH- Hullaby
CB- Crawford, Rogers
S- Thompson Jr,¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LB-¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eba8c72782ab3173d5721733b3b97f89.gif
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

I really hope the staff takes both Lindberg and Karic, if they both want in. Loading up on quality OL is a quick way to beat the teams you should beat more consistently. 

Based on how things are trending with our top targets, I would think we have the space. 

I'd love to see Bunkley-Shelton gain some momentum to go with Wilson; a Bunkley-Shelton, Wilson, and Johnston WR class would get the job done. There's also always Hester and Dixon. It's difficult to get too worried about landing WRs when guys who are "good enough" grow on trees everywhere. Worst case scenario, we can always poach someone from our farm system (TCU). 

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah but there's a whole new thread on the Football board for another airing of the '05 Rose Bowl last night on LHN so THERE

Same thing could have been said about Georgia before hiring a Saban disciple. We need to be playing the same game as the $EC and Oregon.

Just now, Fud said:

I'd love to see Bunkley-Shelton gain some momentum to go with Wilson; a Bunkley-Shelton, Wilson, and Johnston WR class would get the job done. There's also always Hester and Dixon. It's difficult to get too worried about landing WRs when guys who are "good enough" grow on trees everywhere. Worst case scenario, we can always poach someone from our farm system (TCU). 

and there's Fuounji. Yeah, not too worried about WR

The ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at RB and LB concern me the most.

This. I know DL has been the main focus of the meltdown, and it does deserve attention, but it is so mind numbingly irresponsible to be where we are at RB and especially LB given what's on the roster now. Bijan changes the narrative at RB obviously but it looks like we're going fishing for a three star juco at LB again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The longer this recruitment goes, the less landing spots he's going to have. He's gonna fuck around and get Marcus Stripling'd. 

If he continues his delusional shit and wants to play DE in a 4-3, he's got even less options.  His choices got dinged again, since Oregon has taken 2 DEs in the past week and he'd be looking at DT or nothing there. If he wants in at Texas or OU he better come to a decision on the quick because neither is going to hold a spot for him. OUs depth chart at DE is a fucking quagmire of JAG bodies but I guess they'd take him with the thought that there's going to be some portal happening. 

You don't think he ends up at aggy?

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

we're going fishing for a three star juco at LB again.

I'm actually fine with that. In the Big 12, you can go far with quick players of modest build if they are football smart and have a good mental eval. There's no place for players like Wheeler and Adeoye in the conference. What irritates me is that we don't have a plan, unless the staff happens to bring in a Marcus Tillman in next month's camp again.

Just now, Hornsfan91 said:

I wonder if CDC has taken notice on recruiting yet

CDC sees two top-3 classes in Tom's first two cycles and a 10-4 season. I doubt he's hovering over Tom's shoulder or tracking individual recruits on a day to day basis, keeping careful track of Vernon Broughton's tweets or which team Bijan Robinson is talking about behind the scenes at a Rivals camp.

Now, if we have another good season and turn in a fringe top-10 class, maybe CDC starts asking questions.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, thepop said:

One year doesn't erase the rest of this decade. These kids grew up watching a mediocre or worse Texas.

Yup, and we haven't won the Big 12 in ten years. Poor recruiting is the byproduct of years of underperformance coupled with some inept position coaches

20 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

I thought recruiting was supposed to get better when you win 10 games and beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl?  Huh.

I thought Herman was gonna WRTS.  Wasn’t that the noise we heard as Texas and Aggy raced to dump Strong and Sumlin and snag him before the other could (or even tOSU)?

8 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I thought Herman was gonna WRTS.  Wasn’t that the noise we heard as Texas and Aggy raced to dump Strong and Sumlin and snag him before the other could (or even tOSU)?

Two straight top 5 classes and an NY6 win. Dude is on schedule.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 9

I'm actually fine with that. In the Big 12, you can go far with quick players of modest build if they are football smart and have a good mental eval. There's no place for players like Wheeler and Adeoye in the conference. What irritates me is that we don't have a plan, unless the staff happens to bring in a Marcus Tillman in next month's camp again.
You're not wrong but the JUCO we just brought in, Mitchell, fits the Dele/Wheeler profile. Caleb Johnson might end up Gary-lite, but he came in with a significant injury. Not exactly setting up for success.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You're not wrong but the JUCO we just brought in, Mitchell, fits the Dele/Wheeler profile. Caleb Johnson might end up Gary-lite, but he came in with a significant injury. Not exactly setting up for success.

Right. Goes back to my complaint about not having a clear plan at the position.

Iowa State's freshman MLB was as good as anyone we rolled out at the position last season, including Gary Johnson.

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

I bet Coburn starts for Texas at some point next season and doesn't look back.

did he retain his shirt. 

2 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

If only Tom were a good recruiter.

too bad he isn’t even close to one.  still below average on his best day.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I just can't get too worked up about any of this. It feels like there are multiple times in each cycle where the recruiting game goes on tilt against us, and then it comes back the other way. Guys covering this stuff are too close to it and the recruits when momentum swings for a bit. One minute you're landing everybody and the next, no one knows your name. 

I do think I will laugh pretty fucking hard in a very petty, foreboding kind of way if Washington commits to OU. At this stage, going to play defense at OU over Texas is a fucking joke of a decision, especially for someone in Texas. And I know he's from California, you pedantic fucks, but he's here now. 

Here I was making fun of sooners on twitter about how shit Grinch is for recruiting.. And they may land Washington.. damn.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

CDC is well aware of what is going on in recruiting. He posts on some of the boards under the handle "echeese". 

I may have referred to a few people here as shitbags, but that pales in comparison to the buttsweating pig fucker known as echeese.  I have a tremendous amount of disdain for that cocksucker.

Edited by Fondren & Main