Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, stork642 said:

Seems like a good litmus test to me. If you are offended by a little aggy joke and/or you train with the fwb you probably aren't our kind of guy.  Good luck to ya.   

Actually, a lot of tough guys train in FWB. It's where Air Force Special Ops is based. Agreed about aggy jokes, though.

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

When Majors commits this week, that’s 2 of 5 OL targets for the class. I don’t know when Garth will go public, probably later in the spring but that’s 3. Then you wind up focusing heavily on Lindberg and George. That would be a damned good group to sign. They look damned good with this group.

4 DLs in Unmailienalienalien, Collins, Dorbah and Broughton, if Broughton can avoid Will fucking Lyles. They look good with this crew. 

Omeire is in the mold of Collin Johnson. Mookie Cooper is as explosive as the two slots from this past class. Let’s say they can close both for a 2 man WR crew. They look good with these targets. 

Card. Eh, there’s the qb. 

Evans and Jordan at TB. McGowan leaves the state and McLellan goes to okie? I’d take that. McLellan is an Aledo TB. He’s terrific, but they take a lot of bullets before getting to college. Looking strong here.

Go hard after the Bishop Dunne guy and one other? Cy Creek guy would have to get offered first before he’d be on the list but I assume they take two. Lots of work to do here.

Ringo at CB. Jones at NB. Thompson at S. Three studs in the secondary. Looking good.

Jackson will be the number one athlete in the country. 

Obviously it’s a long way off and a lot will change. Still that would be a hell of a 20 player class. No one is expected to be an early NFL guy after next season and they like their roster, so attrition looks like it could be low. Right now they’re not thinking they’ll sign 20. More like 16. I still think they get to 21/22.

Do you have any thoughts on where we stand with Jackson?

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

When Majors commits this week, that’s 2 of 5 OL targets for the class. I don’t know when Garth will go public, probably later in the spring but that’s 3. Then you wind up focusing heavily on Lindberg and George. That would be a damned good group to sign. They look damned good with this group.

4 DLs in Unmailienalienalien, Collins, Dorbah and Broughton, if Broughton can avoid Will fucking Lyles. They look good with this crew. 

Omeire is in the mold of Collin Johnson. Mookie Cooper is as explosive as the two slots from this past class. Let’s say they can close both for a 2 man WR crew. They look good with these targets. 

Card. Eh, there’s the qb. 

Evans and Jordan at TB. McGowan leaves the state and McLellan goes to okie? I’d take that. McLellan is an Aledo TB. He’s terrific, but they take a lot of bullets before getting to college. Looking strong here.

Go hard after the Bishop Dunne guy and one other? Cy Creek guy would have to get offered first before he’d be on the list but I assume they take two. Lots of work to do here.

Ringo at CB. Jones at NB. Thompson at S. Three studs in the secondary. Looking good.

Jackson will be the number one athlete in the country. 

Obviously it’s a long way off and a lot will change. Still that would be a hell of a 20 player class. No one is expected to be an early NFL guy after next season and they like their roster, so attrition looks like it could be low. Right now they’re not thinking they’ll sign 20. More like 16. I still think they get to 21/22.

Definitely like where we’re at. If we get anywhere near this type of class, the staff sure as hell better start pushing some dudes off the team so we can get in the 23-25 range. If we land a good amount of the priority targets you mentioned above, between some OOS guys who show interest and some late risers, we could easily push 25 guys in a really, really quality class, like 92+ avg on the composite. That’s be worth moving some guys on like JP, Porter (if he doesn’t this year), Hudson (if he has more health issues), Christmas, Chris Brown, Estell, Pouncey, etc. almost all those guys would be ready to grad transfer or medically retire. There’s no reason we can’t easily start upping our numbers of the class stays on this type of trajectory.

also, good Lord, that 2016 class. Of 28 guys, 16 of the 28 have done basically nothing. 3 were absolutely great. And the other 9 have been just solid. 

Attrition: Fowler, Delaney, Elliott, Daniels, Fitzgerald, cuffee, Southlake, RHM, Demarco, Curtis, Aucoin

Busts: Urquidez, Porter, Donovan Duvernay, Christmas (barring a Gaskamp) 

hits: Dev Duv (could jump up), McCulloch, Shane, Chris Brown, Shack, Okafor, Wilson, Roach

Studs: Johnson, LJH, Jones

TBD: Hudson, Imade

Our 2016 class and 2017 will be weights on the program next year and explain why we have so many depth issues. Really, it’s impressive Herman did what he did this year with those two classes making up a core of the roster. If Herman can find a way to get to 10 wins and a NY6 game again next year and Bridge the gap to 2020, where our 2018 class are juniors plus a senior Sam combined with hitting it big in 2020, this team will Be ready to compete on a national stage for the foreseeable future. 

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Definitely like where we’re at. If we get anywhere near this type of class, the staff sure as hell better start pushing some dudes off the team so we can get in the 23-25 range. If we land a good amount of the priority targets you mentioned above, between some OOS guys who show interest and some late risers, we could easily push 25 guys in a really, really quality class, like 92+ avg on the composite. That’s be worth moving some guys on like JP, Porter (if he doesn’t this year), Hudson (if he has more health issues), Christmas, Chris Brown, Estell, Pouncey, etc. almost all those guys would be ready to grad transfer or medically retire. There’s no reason we can’t easily start upping our numbers of the class stays on this type of trajectory.

also, good Lord, that 2016 class. Of 28 guys, 16 of the 28 have done basically nothing. 3 were absolutely great. And the other 9 have been just solid. 

Attrition: Fowler, Delaney, Elliott, Daniels, Fitzgerald, cuffee, Southlake, RHM, Demarco, Curtis, Aucoin

Busts: Urquidez, Porter, Donovan Duvernay, Christmas (barring a Gaskamp) 

hits: Dev Duv (could jump up), McCulloch, Shane, Chris Brown, Shack, Okafor, Wilson, Roach

Studs: Johnson, LJH, Jones

TBD: Hudson, Imade

Our 2016 class and 2017 will be weights on the program next year and explain why we have so many depth issues. Really, it’s impressive Herman did what he did this year with those two classes making up a core of the roster. If Herman can find a way to get to 10 wins and a NY6 game again next year and Bridge the gap to 2020, where our 2018 class are juniors plus a senior Sam combined with hitting it big in 2020, this team will Be ready to compete on a national stage for the foreseeable future. 

The 2017 class was pretty good. 18 signees, 7 starters next year (Sam, Graham, Thompson, Bimage, Kerstetter, Brewer, Cosmi) + 3 in the two deep (Leitao, Young, Boyce) + 3 no longer on scholarship (Carter, Johnson, Miller). If a third of the guys in any class end up starters then it's pretty good. 2017 was small but the hit rate was good. Not really comparable to 2016. Plus it was a transition class so it's at a disadvantage from the start. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The 2017 class was pretty good. 18 signees, 7 starters next year (Sam, Graham, Thompson, Bimage, Kerstetter, Brewer, Cosmi) + 3 in the two deep (Leitao, Young, Boyce) + 3 no longer on scholarship (Carter, Johnson, Miller). If a third of the guys in any class end up starters then it's pretty good. 2017 was small but the hit rate was good. Not really comparable to 2016. Plus it was a transition class so it's at a disadvantage from the start. 

10 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It was decent for what it was: a desperately thrown together attrition class. The hit rate is decent but the quality of those guys leaves some to be desired. So far, Sam and Cosmi are the only above average starters in that whole group. Maybe Graham develops into a stud, but so far he has gotten rave reviews every off season and been just ok on the field. At least half the guys you listed as starters or in the two deep are only in there as a function of our poor depth. On a better team, Bimage, Thompson, and Brewer would likely all be bumped down to two deep and guys like Young and Boyce wouldn't even be expected to play much unless they took a huge step forward in the off season. 

Ultimately, it was an extremely small class that didn't provide much above average talent and when combined with 2016 to serve as your uppperclassmen for next year, it leaves a ton to be desired. Herman and co. have done a good job of mitigating this through Jucos, grad transfers, and an incredible 2018 class full of guys who look to be great, but we'll still have some issues next year due to the 2016 and 2017 classes. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 2:03 PM, closetojumping said:

See, using the word is contagious. You know you love it.

I can honestly say that the longhorn football boards have been the lone place in my life, for two decades now, in which I have people regularly attempting to help broaden my vocabulary. It's quite breathtaking, really. 

701c43c1e55e7c7944a0827cfb394103.jpg

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It was decent for what it was: a desperately thrown together attrition class. The hit rate is decent but the quality of those guys leaves some to be desired. So far, Sam and Cosmi are the only above average starters in that whole group. Maybe Graham develops into a stud, but so far he has gotten rave reviews every off season and been just ok on the field. At least half the guys you listed as starters or in the two deep are only in there as a function of our poor depth. On a better team, Bimage, Thompson, and Brewer would likely all be bumped down to two deep and guys like Young and Boyce wouldn't even be expected to play much unless they took a huge step forward in the off season. 

Ultimately, it was an extremely small class that didn't provide much above average talent and when combined with 2016 to serve as your uppperclassmen for next year, it leaves a ton to be desired. Herman and co. have done a good job of mitigating this through Jucos, grad transfers, and an incredible 2018 class full of guys who look to be great, but we'll still have some issues next year due to the 2016 and 2017 classes. 

Yeah we'll have to see what happens this year. Personally I think a couple of our 2017 guys have a good shot at making the third year jump. It's still too early for final judgments. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Willie-Tyler-46080159/ 

A lot of our coaches started following this guy. 6-7 330lb Freshman Juco Tackle. He’s flying way under the radar because he wasn’t expected to graduate early but he’ll now graduate in May.  He’s got size, good feet, moves really well and has decent technique. I think he could use a redshirt year to build strength, get down to like 310, and then let him loose at Right Tackle. 

This is a 2019 class recruitment  but I fucked up. Oh well.

Edited by CastHorn
  • Like 1

I'm pretty much at the "I don't give a fuck what anyone else says" phase. Herman has a small window to kick down the door on the SEC mystique and establish ourselves back atop the pecking order of college football, and he is currently in that window has has taken enough steps in the right direction to make it feasible. He's recruited well, with some gaps, he seems to have evaluated extremely well, and if he takes another step forward this season with improved OL play, and can keep a status quo or close on defense, he will pretty much be there if he can get one more great recruiting class under his belt. Then all the shit other programs say will be just white noise.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm pretty much at the "I don't give a fuck what anyone else says" phase. Herman has a small window to kick down the door on the SEC mystique and establish ourselves back atop the pecking order of college football, and he is currently in that window has has taken enough steps in the right direction to make it feasible. He's recruited well, with some gaps, he seems to have evaluated extremely well, and if he takes another step forward this season with improved OL play, and can keep a status quo or close on defense, he will pretty much be there if he can get one more great recruiting class under his belt. Then all the shit other programs say will be just white noise.

Summed it up quite nicely.  I could care less what other fan bases or specific recruits have to say or think about Texas.  TH and this staff aren't perfect, but they have the ship headed in the right direction playing the kind of ball that will compete on a national level.  We're not all the way there yet, but definitely on the right trajectory and everyone knows it at this point.  Those who get that are the one's we want in the program.  Those who don't can lather themselves up about whatever the want and line up on the opposing side.  

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Add in wins over Mizzou and Georgia.  We beat LSU in Sept. and that door will be not only kicked down, it will be in the wood chipper ala Steve Buchemi Fargo.

• Like 1

IT notes

BRENNON SCOTT PICKS UP TEXAS OFFER

Brennon Scott has already been on the recruiting radar for quite some time. I liked what I saw of his sophomore film, but his junior year reel has me looking like the emoticon with the heart eyes.

The perception with Bishop Dunne kids is there are two factors to consider: they don't do much in college, and also the perception that they don't like the University of Texas.

On the few occasions I've interacted with Scott, I felt he holds Texas in a favorable light but I wanted to holler at Dunne's head coach, Michael Johnson, to get his feelings on Texas.

Said Johnson, "We love Texas at Bishop Dunne. I am excited that Texas has offered the best linebacker in the state."

I mentioned that my feeling on Texas not landing Dunne players was more a function of how previous UT staffs recruited those players. UT ran hot and cold on most of the players while other schools recruited them aggressively. 2019 safety Brian Williams is one the staff recruited hard but he felt comfortable with Mike Elko, the Aggies did a good job of appealing to him, and Williams was cognizant of the 2018 defensive back class. He made a good choice.

I told Coach Johnson that Scott seems to like UT when I talk to him, "It's Texas so he loves UT."

I agreed that Scott is the best linebacker in the state and Johnson added, "Yes, he is special and super athletic and plays nasty." That's not coach-speak, it checks out on tape.

Scott's versatility fits perfectly with what Orlando wants to do on defense. He can be moved around, or he can play off the ball and blitz. Walk him up to the LOS and he's practically a B-backer.

In a class where athletes who project to linebacker abound, Scott looks like the one sure-fire instate linebacker take.

Here's Scott on the offer, "They stand very high. I already was talking a lot to coach Orlando so they were already growing on me." That's key, while you're waiting to decide on when or if you're going to offer a player, you can still build the relationship. That's recruiting.

I then faulted you, the dear reader, by wondering if your concerns over UT having a chance were justified. He responded, "Naw, they got a chance for me."

A&M does have a head start, and having Williams in Aggieland won't hurt. I think he's genuinely open to Texas, however. He also mentioned he hears frequently from Baylor, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, and Nebraska.

Don't get your hopes up, but also don't discount UT's chances.

MORE ON LINDBERG

Strong and powerful, like his Swedish last name, like all Swedish last names, Lindberg projects to a tackle or guard you run behind on gotta-have-it-downs. We know he wants Zach Evans to be the ball carrier to get the ball in those crucial situations. Said Lindberg of Evans, "I think he can be the best ever."

Those two want to play together, and Evans also wants to play with his teammate, Damieon George, but there's the academic side of this bargain that's calling Chad's name. I don't see him at LSU or OU or even Georgia. While he does like Clemson, I still feel it's Texas or Stanford for him. Texas makes sense as a compromise school if Evans and Lindberg truly want to suit up together.

While I talked with Chad about the Texas visit this past weekend, I caught up with his mother, Emily, to see what's next.

We really had a great visit last weekend and I really think Chad feels comfortable there and he loves Hudson and Logan and is getting to know Jake Majors. I really liked all of their families, too. We are already planning on hanging out at the spring game! 

We are going to visit LSU at the beginning of February (Chad really likes Coach Cregg) and then we are going to Stanford March 1-2. He’s either going to love it there or not, but we’ve got to find out. Not sure if we’ll go anywhere over Spring Break, but I’ll let you know. Chad is in no hurry to commit and is currently enjoying the process. Who knows how long that will last! I don’t think he’s trying to lead anyone on, he genuinely doesn’t know yet. 

We spend a lot of time discussing this recruitment because I think he's on a fairly short timeline (summer decision) and once he decides it'll be over. It's also a fun recruitment to chronicle because they're candid and handling the process the right way.

@Halas ON MAJORS

Inside Texas favorite Halas was kind enough to offer his thoughts on Prosper offensive lineman, Jake Majors. The four-star is set to announce on Thursday at 7:30 p.m.

First play is a thing of beauty. It’s exactly what I always tell my kids when you get a pancake. You get up dragging your nuts across their face. 

He's about as technically proficient and nasty of an OL as I have seen in a long time. I don’t know Prosper’s OL coach but he is pretty good. He has him doing some fairly advanced things. The one thing I don’t like is he teaches individual hands in pass pro rather than hands that work together but that’s a philosophical difference, it’s not wrong. 

Anyways, he does an excellent job staying square in climbing in the run game. One thing I would point out is his backside cut offs in zones. A lot of times backside cut offs become just washing the guy your combining to down. It’s not wrong because it still creates a cut back but the cut back now happens on the backside of the tackle rather than the front side. This creates more lateral rather than vertical cuts and thus, typically, less yardage on it. It also makes it easier for typically unblocked backside defenders to fill. 

What he does pretty well, though not all the time, is fight with his playside hip to win that playside gap and take control of the playside shoulder. This allows a quicker vertical cut and more yardage and gets you into the secondary quicker.

He's ultra aggressive and has advanced technique. There is not much to not like. 

One way to overcome the high bust rate of offensive linemen is to take a good amount of high floor players. Majors' floor is exceedingly high. If Texas can get him on campus it'll be fun to explore his ceiling.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-tuesday-january-22nd/

Updates | Alfred Collins
– CJ Vogel

The recruiting process for 2020 DL Alfred Collins is really beginning to heat up.

Collins was on campus last week and is currently in Waco to visit the Baylor Bears this weekend. On his visit, Collins was joined by his mother and sisters. It is worth noting that Collins’ mother, Benita Pollard, was a member of the Texas Women’s Basketball team from 1990-1994.

Collins spent the visit all of the Texas coaching staff, with most time spent with Oscar Giles, Todd Orlando and Tom Herman.

While Collins doesn’t have a timeframe for a top group or commitment date, Texas is very high on his mind early on. His mother having gone to Texas does nothing but help the Longhorns case.

Quick Hitters | Weekend Reactions
– CJ Vogel

First and foremost, the big recruiting weekend on campus was a major success and ended in a new commitment via Carrington’s Shh tweet. The news of that commitment will likely be coming out sometime in the next week or so.

2020 OL Commit Logan Parr

Parr committed to the Longhorns late in October and has been completely solid since. Parr has been back to campus twice since his commitment and last night was big not only for him, but the big time targets Texas was hosting as well.

“I had a great time being around the staff and meeting some of the guys for the first time today,” said Parr.

“It was good to see Chad Lindberg, Jake Majors, Jaylen Garth and Hudson Card again in person even though I talk to all of them over Snapchat pretty much daily.”

Parr mentioned back in October that Lindberg was one of the main guys he wanted to play with at the next level and strengthening that relationship will only benefit the Longhorns moving forward.

Quick Hitters | More Weekend Reactions | Jones, Umanmielen, Evans
– Will Baizer

CB Jaylon Jones – 6’3″ 185lbs – Cibolo Steele HS

Hailing from the same alma mater as current Texas safety Caden Sterns, Jaylon Jones made his way back up to Texas. Once again it was a successful trip for both parties per Jaylon himself, “It was good. I had an amazing time up there with my family, the other recruits, and coaches.”

The family arrived on campus and met with Coach Washington where they were greeted by the staff and had dinner and chatted with a lot of elite prospects and their families. Afterward, they met briefly with Coach Herman, the players, and Matthew McConaughey (where the infamous speech happened, more on that below) and then went to the OU game. After all of that Coach Herman had one on one talks with many of the recruits, including Jaylon Jones and his family.

The talk with coaches Tom Herman and Jason Washington mainly revolved around “…how much they would love for Jaylon to come to UT and how he would be taken care of academically as well as athletically. They broke down where the need for him was and how they would use him.”

Jason Washington appears to be doing Jason Washington things and blowing another elite recruit’s expectations out of the water. Per Jaylon’s father, “We were very impressed with their vision for Jaylon, Coach Washington is an amazing Coach, there’s something about him that is so real as a person. I think the entire visit was more intimate than other visits, Jaylon was able to spend some quality time with Caden and other teammates.”

DE Princely Umanmielen – 6’4″ 240lbs – Manor HS

It shouldn’t be hard to get one of Texas’ top prospects in the home state to campus, especially not when they live 30-40 minutes down the road.

Umanmielen went on the same adventure that I described above for Jaylon Jones, but instead of Jason Washington, he was meeting with Oscar Giles. Again, it seems that the coaches have built a good relationship with Umanmielen and are doing their best to solidify their standing with the prospect.

It seems to be working as that is the part of the entire trip that stood out to Umanmielen, “My favorite part of the visit was when Coach Herman pulled me into his office for a one on one, forty-minute conversation.” The conversation revolved around their vision for the defensive end and what getting him to Texas would take.

Overall, a win for Texas in central Texas as the trip for Princely Umanmielen, Jaylon Jones, and Logan Parr (as CJ pointed out) went about as well as expected. A great step in starting to solidify another big class.

RB Zach Evans – 6’0″ 205lbs – North Shore HS

We were not sure if Zach Evans would make it into Texas this weekend, and he almost did not make it. Luckily he and four-star offensive tackle Damieon George were able to get a ride from one of the North Shore coaches up to Austin in time to hear the speeches from Coach Herman, Sam Ehlinger, and Matthew McConaughey. Any time they can get this player on campus over A&M or Oklahoma, it is a win.

To make up for the missed time, Tom Herman made sure to put the main focus on the generational runningback by making sure he sat next to him and bonded with him during the OU basketball game and prioritized him in personal meetings.

We are told that the focus of the meetings was to make sure Evans understood the need for him at Texas and how they would go about utilizing his unique capabilities. This isn’t a new pitch to Evans, but same the depth of the pitch was impressive.

This recruitment will be a tough one, but Texas seems to be in a good position after the win in New Orleans.

OT Jake Majors Sets Commitment Date
– Andrew King

Could Texas be close to adding a commitment to the 2020 class following this weekend’s ‘Elite Day’? It sure is looking like it.

Prosper (TX) offensive lineman Jake Majors has set his commitment date for this Thursday.

Majors holds some big offers from schools like Stanford, Oklahoma, TCU, and others along with Texas. Majors was in Austin this weekend and spent a lot of time with Texas offensive line commit Logan Parr. The Longhorns are in a good spot here, and it would give them a great duo along the offensive line committed to start the 2020 class. Majors plays tackle in high school, but could move inside to guard in college.

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

*clicks. begins reading first paragraph. can't help but drift further down, recognizing the word "stanford" in his peripheral. closes page and throws things 

Don't worry. Multiple posters have insisted that the narrative has changed re: Stanford and they're no longer a threat because we won one big game. Apparently people won't care about a Stanford education anymore because we beat Georgia.

Ya that wasn’t what was said at all but it’s interesting that you interpreted that way.

Is it actually realistic to get all 5 of the OLs we're targeting? At some point it seems like they're going to look around and see too much competition with each other. For example, if we do end up adding Majors, Lindberg and Garth, George could see 4 commits already on board and decide to go somewhere with an easier path to playing time, which could then affect Evans.