Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, had a brain fart there.  But you know what I mean man.  That 2018 class is an outlier.  We made up for it last year with some out of state recruits but if Bru bolts, it does but a cloud over that class.  The 2018 class was based heavily out of Houston where Tom had built those relationships while coaching there.  I hope we see those same results.  My point is that over the last 5-6 years, we've lost the majority of high profile recruits.  2018 should be closer to the norm considering our history and what we have to offer.  But I don't expect us to clean up the state like we did that year for a while unless things change.  Also keep in mind we weren't competing with Jimbo's cheating ass that year.  Sumlin was a dead man walking which made it easier for us to clean up the state.  It's different now. 

Over the last 6 years, Texas has won 8 (fired Brown), 6, 5, 5 (fired Strong), 7, 10 games

it is almost like losing games, completely changing coaching staffs (3x) and offensive philosophy (multiple times) in 5-6 years is a bad thing and elite recruits from Texas and everywhere else see that.

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For what it's worth I think the "win and all our problems go away" is an oversimplication and a halcyon view on things.

But OU has won the Big 12 six times this decade, has made the playoffs thrice, and also has the other ancillary stuff in their favor as well (individual awards, draft picks, etc.). The idea that we're just as close as OU in the eyes of recruits isn't going to fly yet.

And that's precisely why beating ou and winning the big 12 is step 1. All the other shit is noise. That may seem like an oversimplification but it's the truth as I see it. 

Beat ou=win conference=possible playoff berth=program exposure=change in perception=draft picks=high profile recruits coming here

These things are all correlated and to me the answer lies nowhere other than beating ou and winning the conference. Everything else falls into place after that. 

7 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

And that's precisely why beating ou and winning the big 12 is step 1. All the other shit is noise. That may seem like an oversimplification but it's the truth as I see it. 

Beat ou=win conference=possible playoff berth=program exposure=change in perception=draft picks=high profile recruits coming here

These things are all correlated and to me the answer lies nowhere other than beating ou and winning the conference. Everything else falls into place after that. 

Yah, word. 

Nahlin/IT: Team Note & Updated Percentages

Spoiler

TEAM

Not much but it's May about to give way to June when we should have a more consistent flow of team info.

Morning workouts resumed on Monday as the veterans await the new arrivals next week. I believe the freshman and summer Juco arrivals are due by the 5th or 6th at the latest. Graduate transfer Parker Braun is already with the team and working out. Overachiever, imo.

Workouts consist of alternating days of intense lifting with mild running and mild lifting with intense running. Basically they're gearing up to welcome the new arrivals who will be hating life shortly.

I asked about De'Gabriel Floyd's workload. From what I can gather, he runs with the team and lifts at the same time but has a different lifting regimen. With his spinal issue that's not surprising. They monitor him closely. The hope remains that he'll be cleared in January but how that will go is anybody's guess. I'm pretty sure he'll have check-ups periodically between now and then to see if he's progressing. It's frustrating for all involved because you can't even tell there's anything wrong with him. He's obviously the best specimen at the position and one of the best on the team overall. Credit goes to him for working like he'll be suiting up in a couple of months rather than missing the season.

QUICK PERCENTAGES ON KEY 2020 TARGETS

If I missed anything feel free to ask questions.

QB Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): 85%: He said he's announcing soon. Assuming he does that would be him jumping off his stated timeline (late decision) and on to the one we originally thought he'd be on (summer). I bet he looks more like a quarterback this season. What an enviable haul if they pair Jackson with Hudson Card.

RB Bijan Robinson, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): 60%: The month of June will be the most important month in this recruitment as he takes official visits to fOSU and UT on consecutive weekends. He's one of the biggest needs in the class along with Vernon Broughton and Chad Lindberg.

RB Jase McClellan, Aledo (Aledo, TX): 40%: The RB dominoes are wild. TCU is watching what Jase does because they're concerned if OU loses him the Sooner staff will target Dominic Richardson

RB Dominic Richardson, Bishop McGuinnes (Oklahoma City, OK) -TCU: 25%: Of course TCU also has to watch out for Texas missing on running backs. This is a good illustration of how intertwined all these recruitments are. UT's chances of landing Richardson are contingent on effort level

RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite (Mesquite, TX): 20%: Contingent on effort level

RB Zach Evans, North Shore (Houston, TX): 10%: Because there's always stress towards the end of a cycle I bet we haven't seen the last of this recruitment. I'm going to enjoy the down time, though.

WR Devon Achane, Fort Bend Marshall (Missouri City, TX): 30%; I expect this to rise throughout summer. Tons of slack in this recruitment. Of course this one is partially contingent on the staff receiving solid help from the sprint coaches on the track team.

WR Quentin Johnston, Temple (Temple, TX): 70%: Tough to handicap because they may not press hard for the commit, so I have it in between keeping him warm and going all in. They get him if they push, imo

WR Loic Fouonji, Lee (Midland, TX): 30%: Could become a priority one of two ways, balling out this season or by necessity. Or both. Raw player with upside who fits two spots.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX): 25%: I'm thinking LSU but can't rule out one final swing.

WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calabasas, CA): 15%: It's yet to be determined how the Bru McCoy situation impacts this recruitment, if at all. I don't see how it helps aside from the potential of no longer over-lapping positions if McCoy departs. Wilson is scheduled to visit this weekend.

WR Mookie Cooper, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO): 60%: This could trend down if Achane trends up

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX): 80%: He's recently stated he'll take an official visit in the fall so maybe he doesn't announce this summer? I still kind of think he might and if he did I'd pick Texas

OL Damieon George, North Shore (Houston, TX): 10%

I expect to see more offers going out on the o-line, perhaps to Parker Braun's brother Josh or maybe OU commit Nathan Anderson. Josh Braun will be a tough pull. The staff may feel content to get some guys to camp and watch senior seasons develop to find the next Christian Jones or Isaiah Hookfin. That would be a wise plan, imo.

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge (Houston, TX): 80%: I'll often mention when I think it's time to brush off a miss or when it's time to mourn. Losing Broughton would be a gut punch. The only noise I've heard that isn't Texas-positive comes from other writers and I have no clue where they're getting their info. I have a slight concern over LSU but that's about it

DL Alfred Collins, Cedar Creek (Bastrop, TX): 70%: He's hard to handicap. I remain steadfast that I think him signing with A&M or OU is highly unlikely but he does seem to be more of a small town kid. Alabama looms as well. Unless the staff has an excellent read on him ending up at Texas (as in they were given advanced notice he intends to be a Horn) I'd bump his official visit to the fall.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Manor, TX): 75%: There are rumblings that LSU and OU are making credible pushes but I think by the time his October decision comes around UT will be the clear team to beat. I know Texas sources have felt good since the spring game visit.

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park (Dallas, TX): 80%: I feel good here, just slightly concerned there's some angle I'm unaware of. He could announce earlier in the calendar than people think.

LB Justin Flowe, Upland (Upland, CA): 10%: Texas has immediate playing time to sell in abundance but I think UT's chances would be improved if De'Gabriel Floyd was set to play this year or next. Flowe will land at Georgia, Clemson, or Bama imo.

LB Josh White, Cy Creek (Houston, TX) - LSU: 25%: He'll take an official visit which offers a little bit of hope but I've heard he's unlikely to flip.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX): 20%: If Texas were pushing hard we'd be hearing more noise about him closing in on a decision. This number would jump if I was convinced they were recruiting him with the intent of shutting him down this summer.

LB Kalel Mullings, Milton Academy (Milton, MA): 20%: He's obviously interested in seeing Texas and the academic sell, particularly McCombs, will assuredly make an impression. There's the potential for a big bump here. I expect him to visit this summer.

LB Len'Neth Whitehead, Athens Academy (Athens, GA): 40%: I could see Texas making a huge impression but even if they landed a drama-free commitment a la Marcus Tillman I'd have concerns about Georgia up until signing day. Whitehead committing to Texas may be enough to motivate Georgia to push.

LB Kourt Williams, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA): 10%: Baby steps. They need to get him to campus. Todd Orlando's last trip to California gained his attention. Now get him on a plane.

Some solid linebacker options have emerged over the last few weeks but Texas needs to get them to campus.

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler (Tyler, TX): 85%: He's going to emerge as one of the best corners in the nation over the next six months.

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington (Arlington, TX): 85%: Balanced, easy mover in any direction and competitive. He'll be OV'ing along with Crawford. Both have the potential for a June, early July decision.

CB Kelee Ringo, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ): 10%: My pick has been Georgia.

DB Chris Thompson Jr., Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): 90%: UT is the best fit. He's a three-star for some schools but a real prize for Texas because of system fit. Great versus the run, solid versus the pass.

DB Bryson Washington, C.E. King (Houston, TX): 70%: I think his official visit on June 21st will be enough to put Texas over the top.

DB Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): 40%: I have LSU at 60%. That means UT needs to kill his two June visits which I think is possible

DB Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX): 15%: This is dependent on how hard UT pushes.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasFan21 said:

Anyone got this? 

As we all know, Zach Evans surprised Texas fans all over the nation last evening when he dropped his top five schools that did not include the Texas Longhorns, which had seemingly grown synonymous with the five star back throughout the early stages in his recruitment.

The snub of Texas was additionally followed by a quote by Evans claiming the Longhorns simply were not ready to be a National Title team.

*** Five-star CB Kelee Ringo chimed in on his Instagram Story with his reaction to Evans’ tweet that stirred up Longhorn Twitter for the final hours of Tuesday evening.

IMG_8962-169x300.jpg

“Understanding.”

Whatever Ringo means by this, does not bode well for the Longhorns with the way this recruitment has started to trend.

Ringo, who spent essentially his entire Spring Break in Austin for spring practices, has slowly drifted away from the program and has picked up steam in the Georgia Bulldog front.

Two of the top players in the country are now dismissing the idea that the Longhorns could be National Title contenders despite the result of a convincing Sugar Bowl win on January 1st of this year.

** Other recruits will definitely take notice, if they have not already. The way Herman and his staff react to this news, on the recruiting front and on social media, will dictate how they will be able to recover from what has been a very tough look from two guys that were big on the Longhorns at some point earlier this cycle.

There's a thread in the Football forum titled "GEORGIA CAN SUCK MY DICK."  The thread title is in all-caps, so you know it's especially credible.  Do you think it would help for Herman to use some of the well-articulated arguments in that thread when talking to Evans and Ringo? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

There's a thread in the Football forum titled "GEORGIA CAN SUCK MY DICK."  The thread title is in all-caps, so you know it's especially credible.  Do you think it would help for Herman to use some of the well-articulated arguments in that thread when talking to Evans and Ringo? 

Depends, is your mom's name Georgia?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

“It’s just … you don’t know how to put it,” Evans told 247Sports’ Chris Hummer of his decision to exclude the Longhorns from his top list. “I don’t want to be disrespectful. I ain’t saying (Texas) can’t win a natty. It’s just at the moment [Texas is] not quite there. You beat Georgia but you barely beat Georgia. What about when it comes to a Bama or go to a Clemson?

”Texas is a good school, they coming up,” Evans added. “It’s just ... I don’t know.”

If we try to find a silver lining is that Adrian Peterson said something very similar and went on to play for Oklahoma. He won nothing and Vince and Company won it all.

“It’s just … you don’t know how to put it,” Evans told 247Sports’ Chris Hummer of his decision to exclude the Longhorns from his top list. “I don’t want to be disrespectful. I ain’t saying (Texas) can’t win a natty. It’s just at the moment [Texas is] not quite there. You beat Georgia but you barely beat Georgia. What about when it comes to a Bama or go to a Clemson? 

So because Georgia can't beat Bama, Evans has cut Georgia from his list, right? 

When we make the playoff and several of these top recruits looking from the outside want in, we will have a solid class in place and room for maybe two or three of them. Fight it out for the slots, you non-believing bitches.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

but we can't willingly keep shooting ourselves in the dick over and over again. And that means having weak links on the recruiting trail, it means losing talented kids once we fucking HAVE them on campus, and it means Herman being less of a stubborn, smartest guy in the room prick all the time. 

Some of the 1yr assistant contracts shouldn't get renewed in March 2020.  Agree that Herman does need to learn from his mistakes, continue improving his staff and be careful that his ego doesn't keep writing checks that his body can't cash!!

those here who seem to want to scrutinize his "critical thinking skills" with this announcement are ignoring the blatant fact that the reason Texas is not in this "Top 5" is clearly NOT the for the reasons he awkwardly tried to politely advance toward whomever he was speaking.

Other things are at work here

1. Either the "Top 5" is bullshit and he is fucking with Twitter again for whatever personal gratification he receives by stirring up fan bases, and Texas may still very much be the team he picks after a successful season, which is what he is really waiting to see.

2. Negative recruiting re: our performance at the draft has been devastating, even though the players here NOT being drafted were all recruited by someone else.

3. "Extra visits and handouts"....whatever nefarious goings-on that he can not disclose in an interview that he knows will be quoted and printed.

Either way, the answer he attempted to give between "uhh.....ummmm...uh...." was bullshit and the veracity of that should not even be examined because it has nothing to do with why we are not in the "current top 5"

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

meh.  texas had a chance to prove everyone wrong by beating ou in the big 12 championship game and then beating georgia.  that would've shut everyone the fuck up.  some people are just looking for reasons not to choose texas.  evans never said anything flattering about any of texas' wins.  fuck him.  he was a hater from the start.

we take care of business this year, mudstomp lsu at home, and beat the living shit out of ou twice and the narrative fucking changes.  

Evans dobbins, all these home grown 5 stars that bolt are the exact reason why i support and continue to hope texas keeps going out of state and saying fuck you to these traitors    ok melt down over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

If we try to find a silver lining is that Adrian Peterson said something very similar and went on to play for Oklahoma. He won nothing and Vince and Company won it all.

"AD said the same thing as Evans and we won a natty" is going to be the "McCoy's and Shipley's dads were roommates" of this thread

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, 6th Street said:

Time for our bagmen to step up their game. We've fallen too far behind for these elite recruits 

You think Evans was being really on the nose with this when he said Texas just isn’t there yet?  And ringo with the follow up?  We aren’t paying enough to be in consideration after they hear the offers from Georgia the others?  Or am I giving him to much credit?

14 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Time for our bagmen to step up their game. We've fallen too far behind for these elite recruits 

I don’t know what the deal is with Evans or Ringo except if they go to Georgia, it’s because they got paid. Georgia is very openly buying recruits right now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t know what the deal is with Evans or Ringo except if they go to Georgia, it’s because they got paid. Georgia is very openly buying recruits right now. 

Two coaches on the staff have told me that Georgia is taking it to a whole new level beyond what Alabama does. They also said Aggy is trying to do the same. I asked about Clemson and they both said that Clemson is not as bad as the SEC and used it as an example of hope that a team can win without buying every player.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You think Evans was being really on the nose with this when he said Texas just isn’t there yet?  And ringo with the follow up?  We aren’t paying enough to be in consideration after they hear the offers from Georgia the others?  Or am I giving him to much credit?

Comment wasn't specific to Evans, but it's pretty clear we are being outbid by UGA and others for the elite recruits. During the Mack Brown heyday circa 2000-2008 this wasn't an issue.

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Two coaches on the staff have told me that Georgia is taking it to a whole new level beyond what Alabama does. They also said Aggy is trying to do the same. I asked about Clemson and they both said that Clemson is not as bad as the SEC and used it as an example of hope that a team can win without buying every player.

not to worry, i am sure the rest of the SEC will crack down on them like they did on Ole Miss...

and there is zero chance that A&M can successfully do this and keep it on the DL. zip. zero. nada.