Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

So it’s looking like we should potentially land JQJ, CT3, Rogers soon.  Also are the favorites to land Prince D, Lindbergh, Broughton, Crawford, Collins.  We’re trending for Bijan.  Princely Umeilelan seems like he may end up in Austin.  Then we’ve got guys like Troy O, Ransom, Alford, Dixon, Johnson (WR), Scott that we are in play for.  Also have some guys coming to summer camp that have a chance to shoot up our boards like the DL from New Mexico.   This is going to a be a top 10 class forsure and possibly top 5 if we hit on our targets.  

Edited by victory88

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Ja'Quinden Jackson is our future QB and will be a damn good one.  He'll shoot up the rankings as his senior season highlights come in.

I'm fairly certain you meant to say "He'll shoot up the rankings after he commits to the 'sips because BOMC. Daddy98 watched the tape and it's clear media bullshit."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm fairly certain you meant to say "He'll shoot up the rankings after he commits to the 'sips because BOMC. Daddy98 watched the tape and it's clear media bullshit."

That's precisely what he meant to say. You nailed this. 

26 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So it’s looking like we should potentially land JQJ, CT3, Rogers soon.  Also are the favorites to land Prince D, Lindbergh, Broughton, Crawford, Collins.  We’re trending for Bijan.  Princely Umeilelan seems like he may end up in Austin.  Then we’ve got guys like Troy O, Ransom, Alford, Dixon, Johnson (WR), Scott that we are in play for.  Also have some guys coming to summer camp that have a chance to shoot up our boards like the DL from New Mexico.   This is going to a be a top 10 class forsure and possibly top 5 if we hit on our targets.  

Looks good.  Need some LB's.

44 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Agree. We have our best men - Drayton and Giles on it. 

25 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Looks like Evans took down all those tweets. Probably best not to get into shit talking with a bunch of our players if we're ever gonna get back into that recruitment 

I loved how he said it was guys that play or don't play at all. So basically the entire team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

If you want to land him, you give him a real shot at QB. And he's good enough to both give him an honest shot, and to be very happy also if he doesn't stick at QB and has to go to LB.

I think the hope that he can be developed into a QB is very real based on Herman / Beck’s track record.  He has shown some skill at throwing but his HS offense is rudimentary.

If that does not work, I would look at RB as he has speed, vision, and moves.  Think you have to take advantage of that.  JMO.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I forgot about that Shaggy thread. Can you refresh my memory?

Think it was recent enough to be a surly thread.

I'm guessing this was around the time J Shepherd's commitment was considered highly suspect. One of our esteemed posters misunderstood an exchange that was somehow related to Footwork King (maybe something about pricing on getting a preferred walk-on spot?)and decided to send a text lighting up FWK. But he was actually using contact info of some 1* recruit's dad. And the dad's response was "I'm in hydraulics." Or something along those lines.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Think it was recent enough to be a surly thread.

I'm guessing this was around the time J Shepherd's commitment was considered highly suspect. One of our esteemed posters misunderstood an exchange that was somehow related to Footwork King (maybe something about pricing on getting a preferred walk-on spot?)and decided to send a text lighting up FWK. But he was actually using contact info of some 1* recruit's dad. And the dad's response was "I'm in hydraulics." Or something along those lines.

This guy is a fucking WOP genius. 

• Like 1

Some info on RB recruiting from 247 national mods: https://247sports.com/Article/Zachary-Evans-top-five-Alabama-Georgia-LSU-Bijan-Robinson-Texas-132453172/

WILTFONG: “That was a hell of a read by our guy Chris Hummer. Zach Evans named a top five but I truly think it’s a top three. Ohio State seems to be recruiting Kendall Milton and Bijan Robinson- those are guys that have been marked as Ohio State’s top running back targets the whole cycle. Zach Evans hasn’t been mentioned. Not that he’s not of the same caliber of course, just that there’s only so much time out there and Ohio State is all in on those other west coast blue-chippers. I don’t really think the Buckeyes are in it for Zach Evans. Oklahoma already has one committed in Jase McClellan another five-star out of Texas and then they’re definitely trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, including my forecast for another Lone Star State stud, Seth McGowan. I think that Oklahoma will have their two running backs in the fold. This now leaves Alabama, Georgia and LSU, which is going to be a heavyweight battle for Zach Evans. I think something to keep in mind with Zach Evans is he has a teammate, Damieon George, a teammate, an offensive tackle who is 6-foot-6.5, 348 pounds. There’s some chatter those two want to play at the same school. All those schools have offered. It could be a package deal as well.”

POWER: “I saw Zach Evans and Damieon George at The Opening’s Houston Regional and I definitely could see that. (A package deal) was the scuttle there as well. This is my read from 6,000 feet, when you’re looking at this, it’s going to be an interesting slugfest and probably one that I imagine will go pretty late. I think this recruitment will go down to the wire and would be surprised if it doesn’t.

“When you look at LSU, the argument for them would be (Evans’ high school) North Shore has a lot of history at LSU. You look at K'Lavon Chaisson, Eric Monroe, a lot of the top prospects from North Shore have gone there. Alabama is always in the mix with these top backs. It seems like they sign a five-star every year. And then Georgia is interesting to me. It seems like they could be the dark horse. LSU signed John Emery last cycle, a five-star running back. Alabama signed Trey Sanders, a five-star running back. Georgia signed Kenny McIntosh who I don’t think would scare away a prospect of Evans’ caliber, so I think they have the depth chart pitch also.

“This is going to be an interesting recruitment to watch and I’m sure there will be a good bit of drama. It will be interesting to see when he takes his official visits and during the season because North Shore won the state championship in Texas last year and they’ll be playing in the playoffs late into December, so I could see him pushing it back to January if he isn’t an early enrollee and this being one of the main recruitments we’re tracking after the early signing period- if that’s what he wants to do.”

BIGGINS: “As it relates to Texas, I’m almost wondering if Evans tipped them off ahead of time. Bijan Robinson, who we’ve had Crystal Balled to UCLA- the last two times we’ve talked to him- Blair Angulo another 247Sports correspondent and he got a strong Texas vibe from Bijan Robinson. They’re telling him ‘you’re our guy, the number one guy on our board, We love you, we want you.’ And now it looks like Bijan might be a Texas lean. So I’m almost wondering if Evans may have told the Texas coaches privately, 'hey, I’m looking to leave the state,' maybe even months ago because right around that time (Texas) started to put the heat on Robinson and telling him you’re the number one guy on our board and now it looks like Robinson is a Texas lean. Texas may have missed on Zach who is obviously special, but Robinson is very, very good as well. I wouldn’t tell too sorry for them at this point.”

WILTFONG: “Bijan Robinson is also impressive as a young man, in getting a chance to talk to him and see how mature he is. He took that spring visit to Texas and it was a really big visit. I talked to a source at the next level that feels it’s Texas and Ohio State in the top two right now.”

A lot of hand wringing and sphincter puckering on the board right now. Chill dudes.

Texas wants players who also have character. All the Zach and Bru news just confirms these are guys that lack character and intelligence and aren’t a fit for a program that demands accountability and commitment. We will be better off without them and will sign players that contribute more.

Mookie is also on watch, but hopefully with him it’s just a matter of wanting to not make a premature decision. Maybe he has character and we end up seeing it, whether he picks Texas or not.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

A lot of hand wringing and sphincter puckering on the board right now. Chill dudes.

Texas wants players who also have character. All the Zach and Bru news just confirms these are guys that lack character and intelligence and aren’t a fit for a program that demands accountability and commitment. We will be better off without them and will sign players that contribute more.

Mookie is also on watch, but hopefully with him it’s just a matter of wanting to not make a premature decision. Maybe he has character and we end up seeing it, whether he picks Texas or not.

@Hank Scorpio, your shtick is getting stolen

• Like 6
  • Haha 2