Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, UTEX90 said:

What I don't understand is why?  What is it about Drayton that he can't close on a target?

Drayton usually opens really well, but brings in Giles to close... and Giles is asleep after slamming about 75 hot wings. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Haha 1

Just now, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

just going by Mike Farrell tweet.. Oh well i'm patiently waiting to see how it all plays out.  Ingram better have a huge year this season in order for some of these kids to finally see that being a RB at UT isn't a bad thing.

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ah so Rivals just has a pile of hats to pick out your choice (also what's up with the issues embedding these on here)

I am not even sure that three of those schools would take his commitment. 

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Every team is the land is pointing to Sam as Texas' leading rusher and our OL issues.

That is so easily responded to.  Our top 2 tailbacks combined for almost 1500 yards rushing last year, with another 300 receiving yards total.  Ehlinger ran for less than 500 yards.

If Drayton can't handle that rebuttal, he's more worthless than we all think.

Suchomel

Spoke with Vernon Broughton a few minutes ago. Broughton finished up his fifth and final visit to A&M yesterday and said in the next week or two, he'll sit down with his family and come to a decision. Texas is in his final grouping and the Longhorns helped their chances with a recent unofficial visit that Broughton took, but as it stands right now I just don't see that one falling UT's way. Broughton did say he's genuinely undecided so there's still time for some movement here, but my gut right now would be on A&M after they got the last visit, or maybe Ohio State as a wildcard pick.

Houston C.E. King safety Bryson Washington continues to work towards a decision on July 4 between Texas and OU. The Longhorns hosted him on an official visit this weekend and Washington raved about the visit and what a degree from Texas can do for a person long-term. He also said Craig Naivar is his favorite recruiter. This one's very close and Washington swears that it's about 50/50. The Texas visit went well and I've heard there's some confidence there, but my gut still says it's going to be OU based on what I'm hearing this afternoon.

CB Joshua Eaton had originally planned to take the recruiting process all the way until signing day but he told me today that he's now going to be committing in early August. Eaton has a top five that includes Texas but told me he has only one official visit set up ... to A&M. If he's committing in August and has an official visit set up for after that commitment date, that's usually a pretty good indicator of where things are trending.

2021 CB Tony Grimes looks like a million bucks. He visited A&M, OU and Texas last week (Texas for the Heat Wave) and couldn't stop smiling when he and I were talking about UT and Jason Washington. Grimes said he liked Texas so much he might come back in late July, possibly for the Stars at Night camp.

J.J. Hester told me about a month ago that Texas was on top of his list and he confirmed that news again today. Michigan and Baylor are among the other schools that are high on Hester's list, but Texas is the team to beat right now. He keeps in close contact with Drew Mehringer. No firm timeline on a decision ... he said he could just do it when it hits him, or he might take all five official visits.

Radcliff (KY) North Hardin defensive tackle Octavious Oxendine took an unofficial visit to UT over the weekend and said he had a great time. He got a lot of time talking to Oscar Giles, picked up a Texas offer and said he'll probably be back in the fall for an official visit.

WR Mookie Cooper has been trying to get back to Austin but his plans have been falling through. He said he'll try again after the dead period. He also said Texas will definitely get an official visit in the fall. Cooper just came off a USC visit and said it went well. Though he technically has a top five, Cooper told me he really has two schools in his head on which he's focused right now. Not sure if Texas is in that final two, but I get the sense the Longhorns have ground to make up.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Suchomel

Hide contents

Spoke with Vernon Broughton a few minutes ago. Broughton finished up his fifth and final visit to A&M yesterday and said in the next week or two, he'll sit down with his family and come to a decision. Texas is in his final grouping and the Longhorns helped their chances with a recent unofficial visit that Broughton took, but as it stands right now I just don't see that one falling UT's way. Broughton did say he's genuinely undecided so there's still time for some movement here, but my gut right now would be on A&M after they got the last visit, or maybe Ohio State as a wildcard pick.

Houston C.E. King safety Bryson Washington continues to work towards a decision on July 4 between Texas and OU. The Longhorns hosted him on an official visit this weekend and Washington raved about the visit and what a degree from Texas can do for a person long-term. He also said Craig Naivar is his favorite recruiter. This one's very close and Washington swears that it's about 50/50. The Texas visit went well and I've heard there's some confidence there, but my gut still says it's going to be OU based on what I'm hearing this afternoon.

CB Joshua Eaton had originally planned to take the recruiting process all the way until signing day but he told me today that he's now going to be committing in early August. Eaton has a top five that includes Texas but told me he has only one official visit set up ... to A&M. If he's committing in August and has an official visit set up for after that commitment date, that's usually a pretty good indicator of where things are trending.

2021 CB Tony Grimes looks like a million bucks. He visited A&M, OU and Texas last week (Texas for the Heat Wave) and couldn't stop smiling when he and I were talking about UT and Jason Washington. Grimes said he liked Texas so much he might come back in late July, possibly for the Stars at Night camp.

J.J. Hester told me about a month ago that Texas was on top of his list and he confirmed that news again today. Michigan and Baylor are among the other schools that are high on Hester's list, but Texas is the team to beat right now. He keeps in close contact with Drew Mehringer. No firm timeline on a decision ... he said he could just do it when it hits him, or he might take all five official visits.

Radcliff (KY) North Hardin defensive tackle Octavious Oxendine took an unofficial visit to UT over the weekend and said he had a great time. He got a lot of time talking to Oscar Giles, picked up a Texas offer and said he'll probably be back in the fall for an official visit.

WR Mookie Cooper has been trying to get back to Austin but his plans have been falling through. He said he'll try again after the dead period. He also said Texas will definitely get an official visit in the fall. Cooper just came off a USC visit and said it went well. Though he technically has a top five, Cooper told me he really has two schools in his head on which he's focused right now. Not sure if Texas is in that final two, but I get the sense the Longhorns have ground to make up.

So basically he doesn’t know anything on any of these recruitments but his gut is that none of them pick Texas. You know, it’s times like these I really regret not paying for that premium insider info. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Suchomel

Hide contents

giphy.gif

This would be an interesting time to start trusting Rivals over the other three Texas sites. I can buy Broughton being an A&M lean, and maybe we didn't do what we needed to with Bijan, but the Washington stuff is really out there considering every other Horns site think Washington is now a Texas lean, to the point that even OU sites are hedging.