Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach: Four-star safety Lathan Ransom opens up on finalists

Lathan Ransom has been all over the country this spring. The four-star safety from Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic took a flurry of official visits during the last few months, but he said it was a blessing for his family to see what they saw. “It’s been busy,” Ransom said. “It’s been real fun. My family’s been to places they’ve never been before, and my sister got to see some cool places. It’s been a great experience.” Now that Ransom’s official visits are done, he’s looking to make a decision. He’s planning to announce his choice a week from now on a date very special to him.

“I’m hoping to do it July 16th,” he said. “It’s my birthday and I turn seventeen. I’m really looking forward to that. I’m considering Texas, Notre Dame, and Ohio State.” The Longhorns made a late push in his recruitment, and he said their tradition at the defensive back position sticks out to him. “Texas is one of those schools known as DBU,” he said. “They’ve put out some great DBs. They always have a lot of DBs on the field. Austin is a great place and it’s kind of closer to home. I really liked it a lot when I was out there.”

Ransom’s decision will involve his entire family. He values their input, and he’s planning to analyze his choices carefully. “I feel that my family’s input will help me a little bit,” he said. “I’m just going to compare all the good things and bad things about each school and go from there.” There’s a lot of buzz surrounding Ohio State and Ransom coming out of his official visit to Columbus. Ransom said that the visit was great, but he’s open right now to the three schools in his finalist group.

“Those three schools all have a fair chance,” he said. “I did like my Ohio State visit a lot, but some people took it like ‘Oh he’s going to Ohio State’ and stuff like that. Notre Dame, Texas, and Ohio State are all great schools and schools I like a lot.” At 6-foot-0.5, 200 pounds, Ransom is ranked as the No. 4 safety in the nation and No. 5 overall prospect in Arizona, according to 247Sports Composite.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Whatever happened to that tall DE from Arizona who was also a basketball player?  There were $9.95 articles all over about him and how interested he was in Texas, and then he just dropped off the face of the earth.

jason harris.  I think closetojerking said he was all basketball. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Herman has no choice. I've seen other people make reference to Herman paying players, specifically Michael Knight or 6th Street or whoever decides to show up for a drive by to say "pay players" while having no understanding whatsoever how the process works. You think Tom Herman would have a problem paying players? The problem isn't Herman. It's the UT Institution and the Boosters. It's a systemic cultural aversion. A majority of the wealthy don't want to pay players, they think it's fucking unseemly and that UT and it's alumni should be above such reprehensible behavior. We're too good for that shit, in their minds. The money we have generally speaking isn't interested in paying players or setting up a network. 

I sat in a room full of boosters that that guide the Longhorn Foundation while CDC gave a presentation on the South End zone project. The average age was probably 65-70. And let me tell you, a vast majority gave audible sounds of distaste when the topic of how much we were going to spend on facilities and medical renovations. When the talk of a player's lounge came up, one fucking old fart literally raised his hand and said he didn't understand the need for all these extras, the value of a degree from the University of Texas was reward enough. I don't think the average, normal fan REALLY understands the age and mentality behind who's shaping some of the aspects of how we do business as an Athletic Department. I thought I did, but seeing it in action is fucking startling. And none of this shit is probably going to change until some old people die. 

If you think Herman is going to start contacting boosters to feel out who might be interested in starting paying players, developing a network, etc, well, I don't personally see it, and I find it highly unlikely. What I find more likely is he has some measure of success here and takes a job elsewehre if he feels like he can't win at the highest level at Texas. But that's just my personal opinion. 

Is there a different set of donors for basketball vs football? Because the basketball team has successfully bought top tier prep school players for years. Remember that crazy pipeline into Findlay Prep? 

59 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just trying to provide some interesting info i thought the board would appreciate. You’d be pretty shocked at who provided me these insights. But whatever. We can go back to treating the board like mushrooms and shoveling shit on top of it. Carry on. 

Good insight. Thank you.

Heres the answer: JUST FUCKING WIN.

Mensa needs to Mensa. Georgia more. Maryland less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

If the “how should you feel about recruiting” is anything other than some version of “look at our composite and it’s only July” I will dress up in salmon short shorts and deck shoes like HenryJames and kick all of CTJ’s shitty little purse dogs. 

Henry tryna compensate for that Devine heritage?

And CTJ lugging around his wife’s purse dogs is hilarious. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I didn’t know Ohio State was playing the game, but it makes sense. I don’t think OU is either to be honest, but I could be wrong. In case anyone hasn’t noticed, the major players are 

Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Oregon, Georgia, Aggy, Auburn, USC

I’m surprised Tennessee hasn’t made a bigger move. 

Michigan having a big 2020 recruiting year... any speculation regarding UM and 💰💰💰's??

3 hours ago, Tree Fidy said:

This list is pathetic. Guess they see Texas as regressing while most of the sec improves. Lsu has a lot of heat on them to justify this bullshit and if Texas wins, Aggie then gets to put their money where their mouths are and beat Georgia and lsu, which isn't happening in either battles of the bags. But usc one step back despite being a dumpster fire just shows the list is trash. 

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

This is delusional. Sparty and UCLA ranked above UT going into the season? I know preseason rankings don't mean shit, but damn. Those teams had a combined 10 wins last season.

This is not a preseason ranking it's based upon the fpi 

It’s funny that you say “FPI” like that carries any fucking legitimacy. Like Connely’s Idiotic index, this shit was created by some dildo at ESPN a few years ago to generate clicks and chatter in the fucking off-season. It means fuck-all. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Is there a different set of donors for basketball vs football? Because the basketball team has successfully bought top tier prep school players for years. Remember that crazy pipeline into Findlay Prep? 

Good question. I know we play the game in basketball. I know we don’t in football, period, slam door, end of conversation. CTJ made reference to herman asking Shaka how it’s done. 

Maybe it’s because texas alums don’t pay much mind to basketball and the aau is a built in network to make it easy for 1 booster to do something? I have no idea. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

TJ made reference to herman asking Shaka how it’s done

That's the only thing that bugs me about this whole topic. Surely, coming from Ohio State, Herman wouldn't need to ask, and would already know the game. 

10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That's the only thing that bugs me about this whole topic. Surely, coming from Ohio State, Herman wouldn't need to ask, and would already know the game. 

I dont think so man. Coaches don’t want to know all the details. And everywhere is different. Its probably finding the right boosters to have the right conversations and do the work, but again I’m just speculating. At Clemson its a church. For Cam Newton it’s the uncle and a church. at Georgia it’s allegedly a car dealership. He cant just build a network by sheer will. I guarantee you Jumbo Fisher doesn’t want to know all the details, he just wants to yell at Dameyune Craig to get the kid to commit.

i would be Surprised to learn that despite being a colossal piece of shit, Urban knew at Ohio State or Florida every step of the operation. He doesn’t want to know. He wants to think he’s doing it himself and he’s a good Christian. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Mike at Night: Examining running back recruiting

—I was going to use this space to continue to evaluate in-state positions with running backs in mind tonight. Instead, I figured I’d try to lay out the path going forward with running back recruiting. It’s a problem on a few different levels, so I wanted to lay out the challenges Texas is facing and the outlook of the board moving forward.

—Let’s start with the negative recruiting aspect. Texas has always been negatively recruited, but they are facing a bigger push right now because schools know they are beginning to be dangerous on the field. If they build in 2019 and continue their success, they can become a true recruiting force again. Specifically at running back, schools are telling prospects that the offense is centered around the quarterback running game and that running backs are second-class citizens. I think it’s likely that running backs would be featured more if it were a deeper position, but they have to land some of these guys first to add depth. They are also being negatively sold on NFL development. Fair or unfair, it’s a perception they have to overcome.

—The program was hit with some misfortune in the 2019 cycle. After landing Derrian Brown, they thought they had a guy they felt good about and could then chase the more high-risk elite options like Noah Cain and Trey Sanders. Brown’s offseason health issues were obviously something the staff didn’t see coming. Fortunately, Jordan Whittington appears ready to step in and make a difference.

—Texas entered the 2020 cycle feeling like they were in a good spot with Zachary Evans. He was undoubtedly the top player on the board, and they were zeroed in on him as an in-state prospect. Things seemed to change with Evans this spring, and the saga has played out over the last few months. I can tell you that Texas isn’t going to stop recruiting Evans, and I think he’s going to listen. I wouldn’t really count anyone out for him until he’s ready to make his decision. I previously thought he was set on moving on with his top five, but I was wrong. I think the way the season plays out will have an impact on where he ends up.

—Texas has been pushing for Jase McClellan, and I truly believe from talking to those around him that he’s giving it a fair look. Alabama is also coming on for the Oklahoma commit, and I believe that he’s also genuinely interested in them. From what I can gather, I think there are members of his family that would like McClellan to look into Texas more than McClellan wanting to, but I think he will be back on campus a few times this fall.

—I can go into detail on what I was hearing about Bijan Robinson following his decision date. I can say that my intel on him going into the summer came from both sides of his recruitment, and it was VERY positive for Texas. I think the staff will do what they can in the next month to try and win him over, but the wind is blowing towards Ohio State. The Buckeyes have assembled a ridiculous skill position group of commits, and I think those guys have been on Robinson as of late.

—Texas has to come out of this class with a difference maker at running back who can play immediately. They know what they are facing in the way of negative recruiting and the challenges they have to overcome, but they must close in this cycle with someone they feel good about going into next year.

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Coaches don’t want to know all the details

I agree there, when it comes to the details of the individuals, the "who"s, and actually being hands on with it, but I'm sure he gets the gist of the process. All sausage is kinda made the same, just different ingredients, ya know, and most people just see the end product.

It's an interesting discussion, though, and I wish I knew more about it. 

So let's focus on a couple of the Mike at Night points...

Roach:  "Let’s start with the negative recruiting aspect. Texas has always been negatively recruited, but they are facing a bigger push right now because schools know they are beginning to be dangerous on the field. If they build in 2019 and continue their success, they can become a true recruiting force again.  Specifically at running back, schools are telling prospects that the offense is centered around the quarterback running game and that running backs are second-class citizens (1). I think it’s likely that running backs would be featured more if it were a deeper position, but they have to land some of these guys first to add depth. They are also being negatively sold on NFL development (2). Fair or unfair, it’s a perception they have to overcome."

Roach:  "Texas has to come out of this class with a difference maker at running back who can play immediately (3). They know what they are facing in the way of negative recruiting and the challenges they have to overcome, but they must close in this cycle with someone they feel good about going into next year."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how bad of a sales job is Drayton doing that he can't counter #1 & #2 ???   Both Drayton and Herman coached and developed Freakin Ezekiel Elliott... and won a National Championship.  The offensive line depth chart at Texas shows lots of rushing yards ahead for the running backs in the 2020-2022 seasons.  Damn it,  sign a great RB Drayton!!

On #3 .... my response is No Shit Sherlock!!  

Edited by LTtxfan

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Damn it,  sign a great RB Drayton!! 

I feel like this is what we've been needing to get Drayton over the hump. Or more accurately, out of his office napping and actually using his phone and emails to connect with recruits and texas high school football coaches. We just haven't been pleading hard enough for him to, you know, do his actual job for which he is paid handsomely. I'm confident all will now be well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

With the great tradition of running backs at UT, from Earl to Metcalf to Ricky, Holmes, Cedric, Jamal, Foreman, and now Ingram, I will never understand a Texas kid passing up the chance to be the next great back at Texas. For the previous 7 or 8 years, I understand. But now? When the program is on the way back, the offensive line is stacking up for years to come, the QB room looks incredible, and skill position players are too numerous to name, I just dont get it. How could you not want to run behind this offensive line for the next 3 or 4 years and play with Sam, Roschon, Hudson, and JaQuinden in the backfield? Insanity for a Texas kid to want to go any other place.

• Like 6

Pretty certain of two things:

1. Ingram/Whittington will put a bunch of that negative recruiting to bed this season, which will help tremendously next cycle. 

2. We ran Sam far too much in goal line situations that could have benefitted the RB perception in the TD department. That’s a reality when I watched games from last season: a lack of trust in the RB game in short yardage on key plays. 

• Like 1

The negative recruiting excuse is just that, an excuse. Good recruiters can counter any negative pitch. The problem is we don't have good recruiters at RB & DL

OU has not fielded a defense worth a shit in years, but somehow they keep landing good DBs and DEs and DTs. 

Jimbo the QB Whiffer hasn't developed a QB since Jameis Winston but yet people still buy that load of shit from him. 

• Like 5

Just now, BigBenBamboozle said:

Pretty certain of two things:

1. Ingram/Whittington will put a bunch of that negative recruiting to bed this season, which will help tremendously next cycle. 

2. We ran Sam far too much in goal line situations that could have benefitted the RB perception in the TD department. That’s a reality when I watched games from last season: a lack of trust in the RB game in short yardage on key plays. 

Eh, Sam was better than the RBs down there. Young got a case of the fumbles, Ingram was already halfway run into the ground from his time at Carthage (which should be fixed after a full offseason this year), and Watson was reliable but not special. In any high-leverage situation Sam was clearly the best option.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

We ran Sam far too much in goal line situations that could have benefitted the RB perception in the TD department. That’s a reality when I watched games from last season: a lack of trust in the RB game in short yardage on key plays. 

We ran Sam because the numbers advantage that comes from using the QB as a runner greatly increased our chance at converting short yardage plays, given that we didn't have a really good RB or an above-average run-blocking O-line.

We didn't run QB power/stretch/draw etc. just because we could.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, Sam was better than the RBs down there. Young got a case of the fumbles, Ingram was already halfway run into the ground from his time at Carthage (which should be fixed after a full offseason this year), and Watson was reliable but not special. In any high-leverage situation Sam was clearly the best option.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We ran Sam because the numbers advantage that comes from using the QB as a runner greatly increased our chance at converting short yardage plays, given that we didn't have a really good RB or an above-average run-blocking O-line.

yeah i'm not really in favor of sacrificing things that are proven to work on the field in order to help out recruiting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah i'm not really in favor of sacrificing things that are proven to work on the field in order to help out recruiting. 

Yep. Maybe if we were blowing people out like we should have been, but not when every TD is crucial. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Especially because "they'll run you into the ground" will be the rival propoganda if we give the RB more touches.  Until members of the staff prove they are able to combat negative recruiting pitches, winning is the only cure.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That’s not a great recruiting pitch, though. (You’re right)

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Same, and I think this conversation will seem ancient come December.