Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Based on all the info our there, there are just two things that are relatively certain in the Broughton recruitment:

1.) Mom likes Texas. 

2.) $9.95 crowd knows jack shit.

Who knows how it will shake out, but the doom and gloom may have come too early. With family being such a big part of his recruitment it is hard to believe Texas is out of it with mom thinking UT is best for him. Of course, I think you still take the field over Texas. 

I’m not saying anything, but reading that reminded me of Demarvin Leal

• Like 3

Seriously people, the shift in optimism you’ve had the last couple days is your own aggy roller coaster. Its based upon an aggy mod who you all typically say doesn’t know shit and a wishcasting at mama broughton’s tweet to Giles’s welcome of dorbah. 

Im not going shifting my optimism until after we win a few of these recruitments. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Is OnAComputer our version of Lotushorn or does he actually know something? 

He works for TFB. He also was literally just saying that one poster’s list of reasons why he would favor UT were the same reasons as to why Leal would have preferred UT. Nothing more. I’m not sure what’s more odd, the shift in optimism over broughton or the potential mini meltdown over baizer’s likely innocuous post. You literally can’t have it both ways. Wait, this is surly of course we can. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He works for TFB. He also was literally just saying that one poster’s list of reasons why he would favor UT were the same reasons as to why Leal would have preferred UT. Nothing more. I’m not sure what’s more odd, the shift in optimism over broughton or the potential mini meltdown over baizer’s likely innocuous post. You literally can’t have it both ways. Wait, this is surly of course we can. 

The shift in optimism for me comes from the fact that after the opening, all of the 9.95’ers gave up on Robinson. They are all still saying we have s chance with Broughton. 

If he does choose Aggy with a bunch of quotes indicating he basically made up his mind during his visit  the meltdown on IT and any other site peddling false hope will be legendary. 

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

They had him rated highly enough to push hard for him. Stating anything else is pretty Aggy imo 

They push hard for a lot of guys, mostly depending on the players' timelines. They all can't be #7 in the state. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

They push hard for a lot of guys, mostly depending on the players' timelines. They all can't be #7 in the state. 

Fair enough. But I think it’s safe to say if they pushed hard this early for Omeire that he was in their Top 5 of realistic WR targets. 

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Fair enough. But I think it’s safe to say if they pushed hard this early for Omeire that he was in their Top 5 of realistic WR targets. 

Top five at a position isn't the same as top seven in the state

Ketchum points at the staff wanting him at one point in time, and I point at a 4.8 40 WR who isn't as tall or dynamic as LJH with the ball in his hands 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Top five at a position isn't the same as top seven in the state

Ketchum points at the staff wanting him at one point in time, and I point at a 4.8 40 WR who isn't as tall or dynamic as LJH with the ball in his hands 

I was being conservative saying top 5 WR. In any case, I think we’re discussing different things.

You doubt that the staff had him #7 in state. 

So do I, but they obviously thought very highly of him.

Im guessing they don’t rank players on one big list anyway like a NFL draft board. Makes more sense to me at the college level to really have it split by position. 

Ketchum hasn’t known what the staff was thinking or doing at any point in his fat fucking career. 

Texas competed for Omeire. Sure. They didn’t make him a priority and roll out the red carpet at any time. 

There is a good reason why some of us were truly hoping, virtually pining, for Omeire to go to ATM and that predates the embarrassing show he put on last week. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Im guessing they don’t rank players on one big list anyway like a NFL draft board. Makes more sense to me at the college level to really have it split by position. 

This is correct

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas competed for Omeire. Sure. They didn’t make him a priority and roll out the red carpet at any time. 

This is interesting. It seems that many recruiting enthusiasts see the staff (any coaching staff) as either slow-playing a recruit or putting on a hard press as though the recruitocar has only two gears. I suppose another spot on the transmission would be idle or neutral when critics berate Giles.

From my distance and ignorance, this model has always felt simplistic. As your post suggests, there is a nuanced spectrum of attention and enthusiasm displayed by the staff. Determining where on that spectrum a recruiter is operating with regard to a specific player would seem to be almost impossible to ascertain with any confidence.

Do you have an idea of the comparison between how the staff acts towards players like Omeire, Kitan Crawford, and Kelee Ringo? What does it actually look and sound like? I choose those player because they, respectively, seem to represent a solid recruit, an under-rated/highly evaluated player, and a can't miss prospect.

We've fallen into shorthand descriptions that aren't very illuminating to dilettentes like me.

Anybody care to go into this? 

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ketchum hasn’t known what the staff was thinking or doing at any point in his fat fucking career. 

There is a good reason why some of us were truly hoping, virtually pining, for Omeire to go to ATM and that predates the embarrassing show he put on last week. 

Sounds like a Bobby Kennedy special 

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus, what a headline

The patented Vernon Broughton non-update updates are all the rage on the internet right now so I figured I'd change it up a bit and give you a non-update update with a little more substance.

Vernon Broughton is clearly nearing his long anticipated decision. This one has gone by the book according to his mother's public sentiments: five officials and then a July announcement so she can focus on her daughter's basketball schedule. She's in Chicago with her daughter currently doing just that. That tells me an announcement won't happen immediately because Vernon isn't going to pull the trigger in her absence.

I think, but don't know for certain, that a decision has been made. If a school knows the decision they're being coy about it. Texas has this ability as we saw with the Bru McCoy situation. If A&M knew something it would probably filter to TexAgs and it hasn't. I've detected a pulse or two that makes me wonder if Arkansas is truly out of it. I can't rule them out entirely but I still think they're highly unlikely. Still, before last night I would have said they were dead in the water but I can't quite say that right now. I think a public announcement could come as soon as this week, maybe on a Friday like December 19th, 2014.

This is Malik Jefferson's recruitment all over again, at least so far, right down to the player in question being a long-term UT lean, only to give up the lead late and have to claw to hold on. Texas is Texas with Tom Herman in place of Charlie Strong, A&M is A&M with Jimbo Fisher in place of Kevin Sumlin and Mike Elko in place of thin air, and Arkansas is UCLA, the team trying to play spoiler from afar. Ohio State is trying to play spoiler as well, but I've only heard minor credible sentiments regarding their chances (namely because of scheme).

I think Yolanda Broughton prefers Texas to the others because of opportunities outside of football. So she's Big Mike Jefferson in that regard. Mike was pretty slick in how he guided the process, I think Mrs. Broughton is big on pros and cons time.

Like Malik was, Vernon is as family oriented as it gets for a teenager, thus making this a family decision. Malik was certainly leaning towards A&M pretty late in the process so that's another similarity, but his family played a part in UT's late resurgence. UCLA was ruled out because it was too far from home. If a place "feels like home" but is 8 hours away like Fayetteville is from your real home, is it worth it? Besides, it sounds to me like John Chavis has retired on the job. Speaking of Chavis, he was a day late and a dollar short on being hired to A&M to entice Malik. Funny how he figures in here too.

What will undoubtedly be one of the first pros on Vernon's list in favor of Texas will be McCombs business school. That's another similarity that provides some measure of confidence. Unfortunately there are more unknowns to me in this recruitment than with Malik's where there was virtually nothing unknown. That's a bummer but ain't neva no otha.

How much of a pro is A&M's scheme versus UT's? My sense is UT has closed the gap there but is it enough? Vernon has also mentioned the importance of recruiting his whole family. That was important to Malik too but that requires conversations with those family members to measure. Broughton's rare combination of size and athleticism was always going to drive this recruitment to a frenzied pace, but that pace is driven even more by this largely being a UT/A&M battle. We should soon find out if #45's recruitment ends up similar to #46's.

Edited by satyanash

14 hours ago, jinx said:

Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton remains in frequent contact with McClellan, and the pitch remains simple — Texas not only wants him, but needs him, and that’s fairly evident in what’s already a shorthanded running back room in Austin.

I read that clip from BON and chortled.  I pictured Drayton with a calendar pop up reminding him to "Text all RB recruits - We want you. We need you.  Love, Stan"

12 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Was he the one who claimed that he knew Darrell Scott had signed a lease on an apartment in Austin right before he committed to Colorado? That was one of my all time favorites. 

Maybe.  He had a shit ton of misses.   Including jimbo was our guy after Mack.   Kevin Steele is our new Dc and the most famous was Greg Davis has coached his last rrr after 63-14

9 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Context.  It’s 3 am.  Woodcock has already struckout and now he’s drowning in his sorrows at 3 am in a park.  Stiles is decidedly not hot but at 3 am she is an absolute yes for 85% of the dudes here

Now picture it's Rachel Dratch or Lena Dunham at the park.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

To keep it recruiting related, who is the Julia Stiles of this recruiting season - the 3am hookup after striking out on the 7-9's?

Whoever we end up getting at DL, LB, and RB. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
Dammit, Sydney Cartoon beat me to it.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Context.  It’s 3 am.  Woodcock has already struckout and now he’s drowning in his sorrows at 3 am in a park.  Stiles is decidedly not hot but at 3 am she is an absolute yes for 85% of the dudes here

Stiles, in her prime, would definitely not have to wait until 3 am.

• Like 2