Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Is there any chance we have a booster or two who finally got tired of losing players because we weren’t playing the game? 

The sudden onslaught of recruiting victories over ATM suggests we’ve found a way to neutralize whatever method they had been using (we know the method) to steal kids who had been leaning our way. 

Not saying we aren’t winning these battles in spite of dirty tactics, but we sure seem to be winning a lot of battles that we would have lost last year. Could we be adapting? And could we not use the same neutralizing tactics against, oh, I don’t know... Georgia? 

Just spitballing, here. 

• Fuck You 6

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Len'Neth Whitehead being the one who holds a UT offer (though he's been Fong'd to Tennessee and doesn't seem to be into leaving the Deep South)

Is he the shorter one from south Georgia who CTJ referenced or is he the other one (who I can't remember any details on). I know I'm vague but we haven't talked about them in many months.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is he the shorter one from south Georgia who CTJ referenced or is he the other one (who I can't remember any details on). I know I'm vague but we haven't talked about them in many months.

He's from Athens, GA - not the southern part of the state and he has been brought up in discussion within the last week.

https://247sports.com/Player/LenNeth-Whitehead-46054157/

14 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Is there any chance we have a booster or two who finally got tired of losing players because we weren’t playing the game? 

The sudden onslaught of recruiting victories over ATM suggests we’ve found a way to neutralize whatever method they had been using (we know the method) to steal kids who had been leaning our way. 

Not saying we aren’t winning these battles in spite of dirty tactics, but we sure seem to be winning a lot of battles that we would have lost last year. Could we be adapting? And could we not use the same neutralizing tactics against, oh, I don’t know... Georgia? 

Just spitballing, here. 

No. We are The University of Texas. Some just needed to be reminded.

Quentin Johnston is one of my favorite recruits in the 2020 Longhorn class. And in the state of Texas. And in the country.

I'm not the only person that appreciates Johnston given that he's the consensus ranked 11th best recruit in the state of Texas per the 24-7 composite and a Top 100 national prospect, but I want to elaborate on why an evaluator like me, who believes that good receiver candidates are a dime a dozen in the state of Texas, is particularly excited about QJ. He combines a number of rare attributes.

I'll be referring to time stamps in this video, so sync up so you'll see what I'm on about.

Get off 

Look at QJ's get off in clips 0:08, 0:47, 1:15, 1:30, 2:16. Observe his first two to three steps. He chews cushion like my old boxer puppy. Big guys don't start like that. The defensive backs facing him are all in varying forms of off coverage and they're all shocked at how quickly he's on them. They're not even reacting in a reasonable way. It's not because they're all terrible. QJ is shot out of a cannon, but because he's so fluid, graceful, and long, the defenders aren't judging time and space correctly.

Loose & fluid

When a quick first step marries with fluidity, DBs get paralyzed. Our highlight eye in the sky offers the gift of perspective and we're not sure why the cornerback is standing there like he's in cement and defenders keep misjudging angles. But if we were at field level, we'd be getting short circuited just like them. The defenders on the field are seeing a tall guy move in ways that defy the mental calculations of big guy geometry.

Watch 1:30 again. Look at how #1 convincingly sells the inside move with a subtle hip and head fake between 1:30 to 1:32 while not juking or wasting time with inefficient movement. There's no loss of vertical acceleration. His fakes are happening at full speed. Most high school and plenty of college receivers waste entire plays (and games) throwing jukes and feints that only serve to make them an easy cover. LJH leveled up when he stopped that after his sophomore year of college. QJ already grasps this. That's a subtle but hard sell inside. He's going outside. Then he's even. Then he's leavin'.

How do those traits translate after the catch? Back to 1:20. Look at the ability to stop-start, break laterally, settle, accelerate, repeat. He makes a nice in-cut at 1:22. Settles into space. Makes the catch, then from a near stop, he's back up to speed with a plant and another hard cut up field. Look at the first defender. Poor LB. Now observe the next two defenders in succession at 1:26. One loses his angle instantly on the cut, the other gets a hard lateral cut + stiff arm into the dirt. After each lateral cut, QJ heads immediately upfield. This is a special football instinct - the ability to use the most efficient path to get back to a vertical line.

Now, 1:51. Lightning quick spin move outside, stiff arm, quick separation. He makes that look easy. That's not easy.

Finally, 2:01. Coverage bust? Look again. He's so sudden on the in-cut that the inside guy with leverage can't even fathom the proper geometry and just short circuits. Now count Johnston's steps to full speed. 

Fluid & twitchy

Generally speaking, most tall receivers are either fluid or explosive. They're rarely both. Like AJ Green, his ease of movement lulls you into thinking he's not going to run away from you or accelerate quickly out of a break. Until he does. Watch this basketball highlight to get a sense of his fluidity and twitchiness in another arena.

Stability 

Look at any of his go route connections. Oh, let's say 1:14. Look how stable his upper body is while running full speed. Does it look like he's barely trying? Yes, it does. But he's running hard. He's just holding his form perfectly. A lot of receivers can fly, but they can't do anything coordinated while moving at their top end speed. QJ could run with a mug of hot coffee in his hand. Who is going to win the ball at the catch point or track the ball in the air better? The guy running fast violently who can't do anything but run violently or the stable glider who can rotate his body and pluck the ball while still running full speed?

Production

Temple had a proficient passing offense (that's current Texas TE Jared Wiley throwing well in those highlights), but they were fairly balanced. Johnston delivered 45 catches for 926 yards and 16 touchdowns as a junior. He scored a touchdown every 2.8 times he caught a pass (36% of the time he caught a ball). That'll work.

Projection

He's twitchy at 6-4, 180 and he will be a freak at 6-4, 210+ when he actually has the man strength to go with his wiry explosiveness. He has an incredibly long wing span. He tries hard, which guys with his this-comes-too-easy athletic profile don't always do. He had little interest in recruiting drama, narrowing his focus early to two in-state options. Probably to the detriment of his rankings - which he likely also gives two ****s about. That speaks to mental eval. He's not soft on film - he repeatedly turns upfield into contact on underneath throws. He has the appropriate multi-sport profile (basketball, 6'10" high jumper, sprinter in track).

He can play either Z or X receiver. There are obvious reasons to love him at Z, but X could also work once he fills out. I understand most national recruiting writers have to add the obligatory "must improve route running" to every 17 year old receiver's profile (Really? Do you think he should also lift weights, eat food, catch 150 balls a day, and practice football more, too?) but I think he already shows a good natural feel for space and how to set up DBs.

In short, QJ is a terrific take with a lot of ceiling left to discover. Don't let the steady deluge of 2020/2021 commitments or Johnston's low maintenance recruitment cloud how big this commitment was.

IT

Edited by Coach pop a bitch
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Just spitballing, here. 

da fuk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

56 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's right. I haven't heard jack shit about anything happening on this one for a long time though. I gave as thorough a write-up on the LB situation as I could about a week ago and nothing's really changed with it. Machinator or texifornication or someone can repost it if they have time and feel like it. I know they're working White, but that dude was still happy with LSU last I heard. I don't pretend to know the name of the target(s) at LB that they're working on, so I'd assume it's simply best to not have anything out there until there's real movement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

Just spitballing, here. 

Nice try aggy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

Just spitballing, here. 

We weren't coming off of a resounding Sugar Bowl victory over one of the top teams in the country last year. Also, most people have had an opportunity to see what Jimbo and his merry band of bagmen are about, and not surprisingly there aren't many takers.  We beat OU in Dallas last year, we beat USC last year, and the fans and alumni are actually reengaged and excited. But ya, it must definitely be the money. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding other thoughts after chatting around:

-If I were a 247 $9.95er and had anything between my legs, I'd already have taken a shot putting a crystal ball JSN in for Texas. Texas lacks those types covering the team, so, of course there's nothing fun happening yet.

-Along those same lines, I'd be putting Ringo on cloudy. Georgia might win it, but they can't just do whatever the fuck they want with impunity. You don't tug on Sabanman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off of the ol'Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with Jim(bo).

-Looking good for Eaton, Jordan, and Collins. Look, Collins will actually have to visit somewhere besides Austin before I get too concerned.

-Fucking Milroe is a beast. He's impacting 2020-2022. 

-The Ritz Bit and his crew are fucking idiots. They could fuck up a wet dream. 

-Karic gets rave reviews from Dodge and crew. They think he's absolutely a future starting tackle in college and potentially beyond.

Re: that point, have you heard anything about how they so comprehensively fucked up that pool party (wild volleyball games aside)?

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-If I were a 247 $9.95er and had anything between my legs, I'd already have taken a shot putting a crystal ball JSN in for Texas. Texas lacks those types covering the team, so, of course there's nothing fun happening yet.

-Along those same lines, I'd be putting Ringo on cloudy. Georgia might win it, but they can't just do whatever the fuck they want with impunity. You don't tug on Sabanman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off of the ol'Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with Jim(bo).

-Looking good for Eaton, Jordan, and Collins. Look, Collins will actually have to visit somewhere besides Austin before I get too concerned.

-Karic gets rave reviews from Dodge and crew. They think he's absolutely a future starting tackle in college and potentially beyond.

His wife is fair game though 

• Like 1

Milroe: bad, bad Leroy brown
Ringo: one less set of footsteps

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Image result for the IT crowd gif

No way you typed that bolded part with a straight face.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Re: that point, have you heard anything about how they so comprehensively fucked up that pool party (wild volleyball games aside)?

There has got to be some story floating around about the quality of the barbecue.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've never bought the idea of Ringo to Georgia, anyway. Nobody in their right mind would move that many states away.

Texas pulled Jordan Hicks from Ohio. That's several states away too.

7 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

I have it on good authority that Demas wants to see how this season unfolds and is far from fully committed to aggy. According to this source, Demas feels a sense of regret for shutting things down so early and is giving serious thought to the idea of playing in Austin. 

Apparently the idea of playing in the Big 12 and for a more current NFL style of play is peaking his interest. This unnamed source suggests that Demas only committed to aggy as a placeholder and with the promise that he would get to fuck Candi every third Tuesday.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You sound pretty confident on JSN or maybe it's just a shot at the cowardly 247 fools.  Either way I'm here for it.

I'm not worried about Collins. Haven't been for a while   Follow his actions

I'm relieved on Jordan.  I'm on record saying I would've pushed for his commitment in the spring.  But as long as you end up with it I'm happy.

I need Ringo to make it back to ATX before I feel anything

There's usually someone like Karic or Cosmi or Christian Jones every year.  Take one of them.  With the exception of maybe 2021 depending on where we stand for Byrd.

30 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

No way you typed that bolded part with a straight face.

There has got to be some story floating around about the quality of the barbecue.

JokeThenYou.gif. 

He’s clowning on himself, man. He’s currently moving several states away. 

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dameyune Craig got shitfaced and had to be ubered home. The potato salad apparently sat out too long and anyone who had some regretted it almost immediately. Players were negative recruiting. Balls to the face. Terry Price pulled up draft results on his phone and several guys pointed out that Texas had more defenders drafted in the last 7 years than ATM and he got pissed off. 

You are a softballin' motherfucker, texifornia, and I dig that about you.

You're getting better at this

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dameyune Craig got shitfaced and had to be ubered home. The potato salad apparently sat out too long and anyone who had some regretted it almost immediately. Players were negative recruiting. Balls to the face. Terry Price pulled up draft results on his phone and several guys pointed out that Texas had more defenders drafted in the last 7 years than ATM and he got pissed off. 

You are a softballin' motherfucker, texifornia, and I dig that about you.

The question I can’t get out of my head is, did Craig get shitfaced in reference to alcohol or as a result of actually getting shit on his face in the pool because of the foul potato salad and being so angry he was escorted out. His 2018 LSU game actions really support this possibility.

spacer.png

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Assuming we land Eaton Friday and Ringo did eventually jump on board that's 4 CB's and seems like someone would abandon ship.  I don't think Crawford goes anywhere, so in that scenario I could see Eaton or Pouncey going somewhere else.

no... don't go... how tragic...

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Assuming we land Eaton Friday and Ringo did eventually jump on board that's 4 CB's and seems like someone would abandon ship.  I don't think Crawford goes anywhere, so in that scenario I could see Eaton or Pouncey going somewhere else.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

no... don't go... how tragic...

But what if Eaton becomes a WR?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

da fuk

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

We weren't coming off of a resounding Sugar Bowl victory over one of the top teams in the country last year. Also, most people have had an opportunity to see what Jimbo and his merry band of bagmen are about, and not surprisingly there aren't many takers.  We beat OU in Dallas last year, we beat USC last year, and the fans and alumni are actually reengaged and excited. But ya, it must definitely be the money. 

Ouch... tough crowd. Just throwing out fodder for the posters who want us playing the game. I expected more responses like Futureman’s. Dumb on my part. I’ll keep my spitballs to myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

You can get to Texas from Ohio by going through 3 states: Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas. 

To get to Georgia from Arizona (Scottsdale), you have to travel through 7 states: New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. 

Advantage: Texas.

1 minute ago, Reese Bennett said:

You can get to Texas from Ohio by going through 3 states: Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas. 

To get to Georgia from Arizona (Scottsdale), you have to travel through 7 states: New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. 

He can cut it down to four with a bit of effort: New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas/Missouri, Tennessee

Still more than Texas

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

haha, yeah sure we’re getting ringo.  great stuff. 

• Like 1

Ringo needs to decide if he wants a brotherhood of culture built on sweat and strain or a brotherhood of mercenaries.

Is Saban now pushing hard for Ringo, or you suggesting Saban helping our cause in some way?
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:

Ringo needs to decide if he wants a brotherhood of culture built on sweat and strain or a brotherhood of mercenaries.

Is Saban now pushing hard for Ringo, or you suggesting Saban helping our cause in some way?

I’m betting on the latter. 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You fools. He could just go through California and then sail around Cape Horn. That's only one state, just like getting to Texas.

Good point. In fact, if he heads south through Nogales he can go through zero states and reach Georgia.

Or just take a flight. You know......airplanes.