Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

E.J. Holland: Four-star DL Vernon Broughton recaps Texas visit

Texas hosted several elite recruits over the weekend, including four-star 2020 Cy Ridge defensive lineman Vernon Broughton. UT was thought to be around the top of his list heading into the visit, and the Longhorns made a big impression on him. “It was great,” Broughton said. “My favorite parts were just talking to Coach (Tom) Herman and Coach (Oscar) Giles about what they have in store.”

Texas needs to land top-level defensive linemen in the 2020 recruiting cycle, and Broughton is definitely a priority target. Both head coach Tom Herman and defensive line coach Oscar Giles spent individual time with Broughton and talked to him about scheme fit and development — a key factor in his recruitment. “They were talking about how they can get me stronger and develop me as a player and man myself,” Broughton said. “And they talked about their new building (south end zone project) that’s coming in 2020.”

Following the visit, Broughton now truly envisions Texas as a potential landing destination. In fact, he and his father had a little fun and tried on Texas uniforms together. “It was really Coach Giles’ idea,” Broughton said with a laugh. “I just flew with it. It was crazy, though.” Along with Texas, Broughton is high on schools like Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M and a handful of others. At 6-foot-5, 280 pounds, Broughton is ranked as the No. 13 strong-side defensive end and No. 211 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

E.J. Holland: Four-star OL Chad Lindberg goes in-depth on Texas visit

One of the biggest recruits on campus this weekend was Clear Creek offensive lineman Chad Lindberg. The four-star prospect had a blast as he got another in-depth look at the program and got to meet a pretty famous Texas alum. “The visit went well,” Lindberg said. “It was the top of the top in the state, so all the coaches made sure they talked to everyone. Having Matthew McConaughey talk to us was pretty cool. He had a good speech on why to go there.”

Of course, Lindberg also spent some time with the coaching staff, including head coach Tom Herman and offensive line coach Herb Hand. “I wouldn’t really say (Hand) had a pitch this visit,” Lindberg said. “I think he’s said what he’s going to say. It was just socializing and having a good time with him. There was a lot of talking to Garrett Graf. I talked to (Herman) here and there. We text and talk a lot, so we have a good relationship. I like him. I like his passion.”

Lindberg also caught up with 2020 Texas commits Hudson Card and Logan Parr and is quickly developing a strong relationship with them. “We had lunch with the Card family,” Lindberg said. “It was an elite mom lunch day (laughs). I talk to Logan and Hudson a lot. They don’t try to push it hard on me because they know that’ll make me stop liking it. They just hint it a lot (laughs).”

Texas has been pegged as the early frontrunner for Lindberg, but he remains high on schools like Stanford, where he will visit next month, as well as Clemson and LSU. Arkansas, Texas A&M and others are making pushes as well. So where exactly does Texas stand coming out of the visit? “In my Top 36,” Lindberg said. “Nah, I’m kidding. I can’t give away too much information. But it’s Top 5. I like Texas because of their coaching staff and their support staff.”

At 6-foot-6, 306 pounds, Lindberg is ranked as the No. 10 offensive tackle and No. 91 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Majors is also going to piss of Aggy greatly because he will continue to rise up the rankings as more guys see his film and get him in camps — while Jefferson continues his free fall. 

Well, you have to see their point. No teenager improves greatly after junior year. Everyone in College Station knows their lives peaked at 16, so they think it applies to everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Well, you have to see their point. No teenager improves greatly after junior year. Everyone in College Station knows their lives peaked at 16, so they think it applies to everyone.

In sorry, you think a high number of those fucking weird ass dorks were popular enough in HS to actually enjoy it? Its a great joke, but lets be real: their best times in life were 18-22 when they were locked into a shitty town with other losers like them for 4 years. 

• Like 1