Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Would love to see Fedora or Beatty instead of Warehime but they may not willing to take a TE coach role after being P5 head coaches. (Analysts don't have to deal with the recruiting grind so it's not necessarily comparable). 

Samples over Meekins seems like a solid move assuming Samp can actually coach. Or replace Meek/Warehime with a DL or LB coach that can recruit (how about a "Front 6/7 coordinator"???).

Broughton's development will be as fascinating as his recruitment. He hasn't played primarily football for long and he has all the tools you'd want. He'll be able to play at 300+ with great explosiveness, but he's raw and his junior film was underwhelming. He definitely flashes some plays, but way too often it's a looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane kind of deal. Especially in the run game. (See this clip of LJ Johnson's hudl as an example.) He gives poor effort and gets handled way too easily way too often. He seems like way too much of a finesse guy for his size/strength and seems to like pass rushing with no pads in camps more than he likes actually playing on Friday nights. 

To me, he's all about the growth curve, so his senior year will play a huge role in his value as a prospect. If he shows more consistent effort and becomes a problem for offenses in the run game, then his top 100 national and top 10 in-state ranking seems about right, but if he keeps up his looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane thing, then he'll be quite overrated due to camp performances where he only pass rushes, usually without pads.  

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

He covers the states of Texas and Louisiana. He isn't affiliated with a particular school.

He was an LSU writer for years and that's still where most of his sources are. He's not technically affiliated, but he's still an LSU guy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Broughton's development will be as fascinating as his recruitment. He hasn't played primarily football for long and he has all the tools you'd want. He'll be able to play at 300+ with great explosiveness, but he's raw and his junior film was underwhelming. He definitely flashes some plays, but way too often it's a looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane kind of deal. Especially in the run game. (See this clip of LJ Johnson's hudl as an example.) He gives poor effort and gets handled way too easily way too often. He seems like way too much of a finesse guy for his size/strength and seems to like pass rushing with no pads in camps more than he likes actually playing on Friday nights. 

To me, he's all about the growth curve, so his senior year will play a huge role in his value as a prospect. If he shows more consistent effort and becomes a problem for offenses in the run game, then his top 100 national and top 10 in-state ranking seems about right, but if he keeps up his looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane thing, then he'll be quite overrated due to camp performances where he only pass rushes, usually without pads.  

He was an LSU writer for years and that's still where most of his sources are. He's not technically affiliated, but he's still an LSU guy. 

Such on the OB podcast talked about VB's skinny legs.  Sure Yancey will fix that problem ASAP (Early Enrollee?).  And it's time to see what Giles can do with his development

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Love the fucking knob with the "how the heck did Texas manage to make up so much ground?" I don't know, fucktard, how the shit did aTm manage to make up so much ground the first time considering College Station is a backwards, racist, hillbilly fucking rube farm. 

man lmao

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Such on the OB podcast talked about VB's skinny legs.  Sure Yancey will fix that problem ASAP (Early Enrollee?).  And it's time to see what Giles can do with his development

Out of all of our available podcast that should be the one you never download. Wells and Nahlin are borderline unlistenable but they provide some insight even if their eyes are covered in koolaid. 

Edited by Goodman

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Hell all we need to do now is close on both Collins and Princely and wrap up the state's top DL prospects for 2020. Hell of a job Coach Giles (Ducks)

1) Nothing is done.

2) Just closing on Collins isn't going to be as easy as it should be.

3) Meh on Princely.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

He covers the states of Texas and Louisiana. He isn't affiliated with a particular school.

He's no Max Olson who if you read would never be able to tell he went here. LSU and sec jizz is always running down his face. 

Edited by Goodman

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

It's not really a strength issue, IMO. He plays high and soft too often and doesn't look to care much about the run game. My concerns are more with his mentality than his physical abilities, or even his technique.

Hopefully Yancey can toughen him up and Giles can get max effort out of him. He's certainly a riskier proposition right now than  DL ranked in the top 100 most years.  

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Hell all we need to do now is close on both Collins and Princely and wrap up the state's top DL prospects for 2020. Hell of a job Coach Giles (Ducks)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gordogg24p said:

I thought Mama B wasn't supposed to be home until the end of the weekend?

Yeah, but most think the decision has been made already and they're just waiting until the family is home to announce. But I'll check all the Sunday night dinner reservations around Houston to be sure.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit. The most accurate indicator of a guy ending up at Texas is aggy mods predicting UT. Suchomel being optimistic is a close second.

I've been skeptical this whole time, but it's really starting to seem like Mama Broughton may have brought(on) it at the family sit down. 

Image result for Oh it's been broughten

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Would love to see Fedora or Beatty instead of Warehime but they may not willing to take a TE coach role after being P5 head coaches. (Analysts don't have to deal with the recruiting grind so it's not necessarily comparable). 

Samples over Meekins seems like a solid move assuming Samp can actually coach. Or replace Meek/Warehime with a DL or LB coach that can recruit (how about a "Front 6/7 coordinator"???).

Samples to RB coach would be a better fit. RB is one of the easier positions to coach and an inexperienced guy can break in pretty easily there. Meekins is still a factor in Houston recruiting and he is by every account I have heard a good coach, he just keeps a low profile. We could easily slide Meekins back to TE coach if we dump Warehime and hire a defensive coach. 

1 minute ago, Sock Monkey said:

Either direction Broughten goes, I don't see his recruitment being a done deal until his fax comes through.

Nothing about this recruitment has led me to believe that VBII isn't a man of his word. Whomever he picks probably gets his signature.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Nothing about this recruitment has led me to believe that VBII isn't a man of his word. Whomever he picks probably gets his signature.

Yah, Broughton and his family have handled this about as well as we ever see, and have taken a very methodical approach to the process. Not that he couldn't flip, but I don't see where these signs are that would lead to that type of statement. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Thought I was pretty neutral on Broughton's recent interest. Feeling doubtful and restrained. Then I read the comments on this...

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/LongFormArticle/Texas-AM-Aggies-football-recruiting-Vernon-Broughton-Yolanda-Wells-Broughton-133607487/#133607487_2

Goddamn if I don't hate those mechanic fucks. Monday will be a real challenge.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit. The most accurate indicator of a guy ending up at Texas is aggy mods predicting UT. Suchomel being optimistic is a close second.

I've been skeptical this whole time, but it's really starting to seem like Mama Broughton may have brought(on) it at the family sit down. 

52 minutes ago, Froghorn717 said:

nobody knows anything..its 50/50 lets not aggie this up and get overconfident 

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

It's amazing how the very slightest of changes can flip attitudes around here.  

FWIW, and beliiiiieeeeve me, this is a HY.PO.THET.ICAL, the Texas staff has never once thought Broughton was heading elsewhere.  Of course, they also still think they’re landing Robinson. So, yeah. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Out of all of our available podcast that should be the one you never download. Wells and Nahlin are borderline unlistenable but they provide some insight even if their eyes are covered in koolaid. 

you have a ranking of the Texas podcasts? i am looking for one to listen to!