Alex Jones

Hornius Emeritus

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Okay so don’t fucking default. The way you beat a bad case is to litigate it and move for summary judgment. You don’t just ignore it.

I'm with you.  If I was the D, I'd never accept a default judgment, even if I was a pro-se.  I don't know what his strategy is.

I’d have difficulty adequately quantifying the harm caused when a national media figure spent a lot of time claiming my child had not been murdered.  Saying that I was involved in political ratfuckery and not grieving a terrible loss. Folks responding with suspicion of any harm would make me ragey.

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I’d have difficulty adequately quantifying the harm caused when a national media figure spent a lot of time claiming my child had not been murdered.  Saying that I was involved in political ratfuckery and not grieving a terrible loss. Folks responding with suspicion of any harm would make me ragey.

No doubt.  But tell the jury about what percentage of people even know who he is, what percentage of those who actually saw the original show, and if they didn't see the original show, what is the liability of the people that rebroadcast the show or the statements, etc., etc.

Not a compelling damages case from what I've seen.

They need to stop calling it a default judgment - that’s not what it really was (he had answered and appeared in the suit). It was a death penalty sanction - rare, but permissible - when someone utterly refuses to participate in the process. Which Jones did, repeatedly.

Gamble isn’t a hack. She wrote in detail on this, because you have to when you issue this sort of sanction. And it will go up to the Third Court. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them affirm.

Finally, as to damages, I imagine that a sizable component will be exemplaries. Don’t forget those.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

No doubt.  But tell the jury about what percentage of people even know who he is, what percentage of those who actually saw the original show, and if they didn't see the original show, what is the liability of the people that rebroadcast the show or the statements, etc., etc.

I’m not a lawyer, so I don’t understand why the fact that this story is national news isn’t germane to the points you have mentioned. Especially when you recognize that 30-ish percent of the nation will believe ‘A,’ when the news reports ‘not A.’

5 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

You understood enough earlier to call it silly. Are all things you don’t understand silly in your estimation or just this thing you don’t understand?

For sure the whole causation scenario is silly.  How the plaintiff's get to a damages claim is tenuous.

with death penalty sanctions, plaintiffs claims are now uncontroverted and because of Jones’ conduct in the litigation all evidence is judicially found to be in the plaintiffs’ favor on all claims set forth in the active pleading on file.  this includes the claim for damages as damages are necessary component of any cause of action.  and i guarantee that the damages claim was pled as being “in excess of the minimal jurisdictional limits of this court.”

what that number is, the monetary value, is now going to be determined by a jury.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

If the plaintiffs have a good lawyer then Alex Jones is going to get popped. There's certainly evidence of real harm and malice.

I like how, back in 2019, he tried to backtrack after realizing he was going to be paying out for putting those families through hell.

“And I, myself, have almost had like a form of psychosis back in the past where I basically thought everything was staged, even though I’ve now learned a lot of times things aren’t staged,” he said. “So I think as a pundit, someone giving an opinion, that, you know, my opinions have been wrong, but they were never wrong consciously to hurt people.”

He said it was the “trauma of the media and the corporations lying so much” that caused him to distrust everything, “kind of like a child whose parents lie to them over and over again.”

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

If the plaintiffs have a good lawyer then Alex Jones is going to get popped. There's certainly evidence of real harm and malice.

malice and international conduct is already decided if pled…that’s what death penalty sanctions do. 

the only question remaining is the sum of the dollar figure of actual damages plus the dollar figure of punitive damages.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

malice and international conduct is already decided if pled…that’s what death penalty sanctions do. 

the only question remaining is the sum of the dollar figure of actual damages plus the dollar figure of punitive damages.  

During the damages trial, will the plaintiffs be able to put on evidence of malice?

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Put the parents of those dead kids on the stand, have them talk about how Alex Jones's followers showed up at their houses, at their work, harassed them, doxxed them, spread vicious rumors about them online, demanded that the graves of those kids be opened to to prove it was all a hoax, all the while playing video clips of Alex Jones and his employees claiming the dead kids didn't exist or weren't murdered and that the parents were faking all of it.  And make sure and show how Alex Jones was making money off of all of that.

See how that plays out with the jury.  You'll have a few members of that jury who would happily beat the shit out of Jones if he did the same to them.

One of the parents had  death threats against him which led to a woman being indicted on four felony counts. She believed it was a hoax.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

One of the parents had  death threats against him which led to a woman being indicted on four felony counts. She believed it was a hoax.

Again, I am no special pleader for this guy (Full disclosure:  I have been face to face with him at a social event), but I do think that any economic damages related to this matter appear to be remote and speculative.

Again, I am no special pleader for this guy (Full disclosure:  I have been face to face with him at a social event), but I do think that any economic damages related to this matter appear to be remote and speculative.

I see you just changed your opinion about speculative damages in the defamation suit to one doubting “economic damages”. Nice shift.

Tell us about the social event you both attended. Curious minds and all.
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 9/30/2021 at 8:43 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm not a fan of Alex Jones, but do think these lawsuits are silly.  She is the ultimate "ham sandwich" judge.  See her Planned Parenthood rulings.  Court of Appeals will deal with this appropriately.

So it's OK then?

On 9/30/2021 at 10:09 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Please see below.

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They need to stop calling it a default judgment - that’s not what it really was (he had answered and appeared in the suit). It was a death penalty sanction - rare, but permissible - when someone utterly refuses to participate in the process. Which Jones did, repeatedly.

Gamble isn’t a hack. She wrote in detail on this, because you have to when you issue this sort of sanction. And it will go up to the Third Court. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them affirm.

Finally, as to damages, I imagine that a sizable component will be exemplaries. Don’t forget those.

Thank you.

OK.  In response to all of y'all -- I do think that the economic damages are tenuous in this case.

As to the social event -- a daughter of his half-sister married the son of one of my wife's college friends.  There were a number of prominent legal eagles from the Regents School community in attendance.  Austin is pretty big, but not that big.

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

OK.  In response to all of y'all -- I do think that the economic damages are tenuous in this case.

As to the social event -- a daughter of his half-sister married the son of one of my wife's college friends.  There were a number of prominent legal eagles from the Regents School community in attendance.  Austin is pretty big, but not that big.

Thanks for your legal opinion.  Sure appreciate it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

Tell me you’re a first year law student without telling me you’re a first year law student.

He's just doing that douchy argument shit people like Anastasis and Donkey Cigars do where they're just asking questions or "arguing" a very specific technical point but really just testing the waters looking for like minded douchebags.

• Like 9

Just now, Bullneck said:

He's just doing that douchy argument shit people like Anastasis and Donkey Cigars do where they're just asking questions or "arguing" a very specific technical point but really just testing the waters looking for like minded douchebags.

With respect, I'm simply looking at the causal relationship between the tort and any resultant damages to the plaintiffs.  

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Perfect.  That's a great example of why we can't have nice things in this cesspool.  I've tried to have been reasoned and logical and others have been totally ad hominem.

No dude, you got it all backwards.

First, think about all that's gone on in the lives of those whose children had been murdered.  No matter what, that's the most important thing.  If you are not doing something to help them or stop what happened from happening to others, you're part of the problem and not part of the solution.

What were you saying, again?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Why the fuck you want to put yourself in the Alex Jones frame? You remind me of a guy at a bachelor party I attended, who paid the whores to publicly abuse him. Find another group to indulge your fetish.

Edited to say that several legal folks have splintered your talking points, which you refuse to acknowledge. At some point, the screw turns. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Explained
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Why the fuck you want to put yourself in the Alex Jones frame? You remind me of a guy at a bachelor party I attended, who paid the whores to publicly abuse him. Find another group to indulge your fetish.

Edited to say that several legal folks have splintered your talking points, which you refuse to acknowledge. At some point, the screw turns. 

😃

Edited by Bullneck