Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Where do the Longhorns stand with five out of state targets?

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Where do the Longhorns stand with five out of state targets?

Mike Roach

The Longhorns have been focused on securing the top in-state talent, but the staff is also looking to land some priority out-of-state targets. Where do the Longhorns stand with those targets? We take a look at five prospects.

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

After hosting Baxter in the spring, Texas became a big time player in his recruitment. When he returned in the summer for his official visit, we began to hear very strong indications that Texas was trending with the four-star running back. After making it through some summer trips, the buzz was still squarely on Texas causing us to enter 247Sports Crystal Balls in favor of the Longhorns. Not much has changed since then. The big back is a priority for Tashard Choice who came to Austin with a strong link to Baxter, and if he sticks to his summer timeline, we see Texas as the pick.

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle

Once upon a time, it looked like Texas had no chance at the nation’s number one tight end. USC emerged as a favorite and still hold the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead for the dynamic pass-catcher. Texas has Robinson scheduled for a fall official visit to Austin during the Alabama weekend, and it will be interesting to see how things look come the season. As of now, there’s a little bit of growing buzz with Texas and Robinson following Arch Manning’s recruitment. Two sources I spoke with indicated that Texas is a stronger contender than they are being given credit for at this point. With USC headed for a future in the Big 10, it could allow Texas an opening to make a serious run at closing Robinson. Georgia and Alabama are also two programs that should be serious threats.

Zalance Heard, OL, Monroe (LA) Neville

Info on Heard has been all over the place. While Texas looked strong early, they seemed to drop out of the picture in early summer. Two separate sources I spoke with yesterday indicated that the Longhorns are still in the race for intriguing big man. While there was some thought he preferred the defensive side of the ball, everything we’ve heard indicates that he will play on the offensive line at the college level. Heard is tough to get in contact with, but the sources I spoke with would certainly know what they are talking about, so I’m not writing this one off yet. LSU is the Crystal Ball leader with Nebraska also in the picture.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (LA) Woodlawn

Matthews has been a Texas priority for a while, and the way the Longhorns approached the recruitment paid off so far. Matthews had an incredible spring attracting more attention from some major programs, and he’s a player Steve Sarkisian has been involved with heavily. Matthews is expected to be in Austin in late July with an official visit expected in the fall. Despite trips to Tennessee and Michigan and an offer from LSU, we expect Texas to close the deal on the four-star cornerback.

Hunter Osborne, DL, Trussville (AL) Hewitt-Trussville

Osborne would be a welcome addition in this class where Texas is looking to land quality interior defensive line bodies. Had Texas offered Osborne earlier, they would have a much better chance of closing. The staff did seem to do a good job with his family and has the support of his parents in their corner. Will that be enough for Texas? Tennessee and Clemson have both been in the race longer and have a better foothold while Alabama seems to be hanging around as well. Right now, it’s hard to be super confident about Texas, but the family’s affinity for the program gives them a chance.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

OV'ing for the Bama game per Hamilton

Spoiler

Vysen Lang released a top 6 school list on Tuesday with a strong SEC flavor.

The 6-foot-4, 335-pound high-coveted interior offensive line prospect has been, and remains high on the board for several SEC West programs. 

Along with the release of the top 6 schools in contention, the top 25 prospect in the loaded state of Alabama 2023 cycle informed On3 of three official visits on the schedule.

“I’m making an official to Arkansas September 30 for the game against Bama,” Lang told On3. “Then I have an official scheduled to Texas September 10 for their game against Bama. The other official I have set is Tennessee for the Florida game (September 24).”

The On3 Consensus 3-star lineman with an 81-inch wingspan and 11-inch hands broke down his top 6.

Inside the top 6
Auburn: “Auburn’s basically a school that I would feel like a hometown hero. Basically 30 minutes from where I live, and would make me feel like I’m still at home. And I could stay close to home, and play at Auburn in great environment and atmosphere. I’ll be visiting Auburn later this month for Big Cat weekend.”

Tennessee: “Schematically it is similar to what we run on offense in high school. It won’t be that much of an adjustment. It would click easy for me. Coach (Glen) Elarbee is one of my favorite OL coaches I’ve met.” 

Arkansas: “Besides head coach Sam Pittman being one of the only OL coaches to be a head coach, my relationships with Coach (Scott) Fountain and Coach (Cody) Kennedy are my best. That’s the best coaching staff relationship I have, and I feel like I can talk to them about anything. “

LSU: “Brad Davis being one of the only black O-line coaches is impactful. We share something more than football. He would understand everything I’m going through, and how to approach me.”

Texas: “I feel like Texas is one of the schools that really about blow up in the next couple of years. And who wouldn’t want to be part of that? They had a great OL class last year, and have Arch Manning coming in next year. I feel like Texas is on the rise to contend.”

Georgia: “Georgia, defending National Champions. Pretty obvious why they would be there on the list. A winning program. They had a lot of defensive players drafted, but they sill still be good for years to come. I like Coach Eddie Gordon. I feel like he’s one of my best relationships out there for me.” 

Lang doesn’t have a firm timeline for when he plans to make a decision. It could be either during the season, or on signing day in December. 

Edited by Big Woodrows
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m somewhat of a connoisseur in the ass eating department. I do believe this falls in line with the A5 wagu  would eat this ass after she completed a marathon 

Hmmm.

Your post - with its viscerally evocative style, and suffused with unrequited longing - is second only to Steinbeck's opening paragraphs in The Grapes of Wrath, in modern literature.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"Did Flood "settle" on some of this picks this year or is that what the state offered up?"

You could also look, bud: https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Though the rankings are interesting. The Clemson duo and Chatman are obviously high, but they love them some Markis Deal, Isaiah Robinson, and TJ Shanahan.

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"Did Flood "settle" on some of this picks this year or is that what the state offered up?"

You could also look, bud: https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Though the rankings are interesting. The Clemson duo and Chatman are obviously high, but they love them some Markis Deal, Isaiah Robinson, and TJ Shanahan.

Deal wants to play DL, all the major schools backed off of Robinson and Shanahan is the 3rd best college prospect on his own team and one rankings site has him as the best OL prospect in the nation.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

So 322 is trying to be like 316?

I bought a Kindle FIRE on one of those Prime Days things foe $79.99 (normally $149.99) and did a work-around to make it an Android tablet with Google Play for apps and that has been a nice work-around for these borked pages.

Today is a Prime Day.

10 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ten toes down = a unique sexual experience offered by the hookers in Boys Town.  Not that I now from experience or anything. 

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

This was at the Dallas Cowboy, correct?

Si bavy; es tree fiddy.

Boystown005.jpg

16 minutes ago, Getafix said:

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 

image.thumb.png.0310c03236f2f2c06bf123666de8fce1.png

image.thumb.png.189a218a0350e9a7b9d3ca49c12b16a0.png

We've got "people" too, right, Surl?  Craps milf, porta potty girl, Uber guy, and 'ol Man-bun.  

So speak up, Surl peeps ... 

iirc this guy has called some stuff before (think he knows some of the GAs). Not sure why he’d post that except to flex though

This won’t be popular but I’m interested in the discussion.

Let me say you front that I’m thrilled for Arch Manning’s commitment. Mostly I’m thrilled because of the recruiting boom it gives us. Also excited to have the Mannings as a part of the program.

But I’m of the camp that’s undecided on Arch as a five-star quarterback. If you watch his junior film, there’s nothing that screams “five-star,” much less #1 player in the nation, much less third 1.000 rated player in history. Vince jumped off the video. Ewers had the arm and accuracy and made it look simple. 

Farrell got crushed today for saying Arch would be a three-star if not for his last name. I don’t know if I’d go that far, but I’m not seeing what apparently everyone else is seeing, particularly all the recruiting sites. But I trust my eyes more than the 9.95ers anyway. 

Someone tell me what they see in Arch that is elite. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 12

40 minutes ago, Getafix said:

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 

image.thumb.png.0310c03236f2f2c06bf123666de8fce1.png

image.thumb.png.189a218a0350e9a7b9d3ca49c12b16a0.png

We've got "people" too, right, Surl?  Craps milf, porta potty girl, Uber guy, and 'ol Man-bun.  

So speak up, Surl peeps ... 

My sources are saying to expect his decision middle of next week.

$9.95 pls

• Haha 2