Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

The portal and transfers aren't the issue.  It's the fact that Sark hasn't had the limitations on initial counters.  You're praising a guy for having better numbers when he hasn't had any restrictions to worry about while his predecessors did. 

His predecessors were idiots. No big time school worries about numbers.  

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What's so hard to grasp? You said Sarkisian is able to stack positions easier because he doesn't have to worry about numbers when the fact is he is on pace to sign around the same number of players per cycle as the previous guy who you claim had all these "number restrictions".

There were easy ways to get around the 25 man limit prior to it being lifted. It isn't some huge relief to programs because they weren't following it anyway.

I actually did the average players per cycle. Before Sark was about 24 and Sark is at about 26. Again, the numbers are a bit skewed (22 before and 29 with Sark per cycle in the tweet) because I added Worthy and the 6 transfers from 2021 as they were his. So per class he's working with maybe 2-3 players more which he is dedicating to the lines.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Standish Wednesday Chat Snippets: 

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.22bfc0a8c1cf5b041cbcbbe9c0028939.png

image.png.c511d13f9daa5bc2326aefbe0c2e721c.png

image.thumb.png.816f36cc61bd15c0f7bf31ad964b6a95.png

image.png.d95245aed98acebf5e55dbd8f559269a.png

image.thumb.png.9065505ccc895c4a3de5b82bbb65bec7.png

image.thumb.png.e2c23fd428f640c67964d11c965e39c5.png

image.thumb.png.748b497a676c3430d5dbe8d501d6f355.png

image.thumb.png.146cd9ab4336ba1f6262dcdaa6b26b9a.png

image.png.b65b379b3edb2e5aa0398b718ccf2bb9.png

image.thumb.png.cf5f27eeabb45d93c297861fe65807f9.png

https://247sports.com/Player/CJ-Blocker-46133305/

image.thumb.png.0742d0e76034d769bcd0797717bc56e1.png

image.thumb.png.99e1e8d4f06708db58c3adb062a9c552.png

[Could be typical 995er speak, but he seems to be less full of shit than others, so who knows?

image.png.27f9544d5f70c56bdc8dfbeccbec9530.png

image.png.516f1bc2c14d0afe4be98f9d6a318320.png

image.thumb.png.385ade65479022db1ebe47fc9fb475fe.png

image.png.2d04904811f5d6273bcde4da030521a5.png

image.png.dd4afdbbd06949c2ef688b1b6d2a6318.png

So not to focus on the negatives, but who else do we think we'll see a mutual parting of ways with a la Johnson? Cojoe would be my guess, but I beyond that I don't see any easy choices. 

15 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

So not to focus on the negatives, but who else do we think we'll see a mutual parting of ways with a la Johnson? Cojoe would be my guess, but I beyond that I don't see any easy choices. 

My mind immediately went to Spencer Shannon as a possibility. I went to poke around on his twitter. Seems he'll be in Austin on Saturday for the game. Seems unlikely they'll ask him to look around,

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

Cojoe is my guess as well.  IDK who else, one of the TE's if we land Duce?  Spencer > Randle IMO, but I don't see the staff telling Randle to walk.

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Cojoe is my guess as well.  IDK who else, one of the TE's if we land Duce?  Spencer > Randle IMO, but I don't see the staff telling Randle to walk.

Randle could be a PWO 😉 while is rehabbing his knee.

Even though “he comes from a good family”, an NIL initiative from St. David’s Rehab Facilities could cover his tuition, room, board, rehab, & Top Golf… until he gets healthy. 

Edited by Napoleon

Justin Benton locks in official visit to Texas

Gerry Hamilton•8 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

(Tim Warner/Getty Images)

Justin Benton has locked in an official date to check out the Texas Longhorns.

The On3 Consensus 3-star defensive tackle and West Virginia verbal informed Inside Texas Thursday afternoon that he is scheduled to officially visit Texas December 3-5.

The 6-foot-0 3/4, 280 pound wrecking ball was offered by the Longhorns October 28. He posted a picture of Texas sophomore defensive tackle Byron Murphy II in the offer tweet, which is the player Benton reminds the Texas staff of most.

The Longhorns main competition for the West Virginia “soft commit” is currently Arkansas. Benton made an official visit to Arkansas last weekend.

Justin Benton File

The Peach State prospect committed to the Mountaineers June 18 over finalists Tennessee, Mississippi State, Georgia, Houston, Nebraska, Duke and Penn State. He made an official visit to West Virginia June 3. 

Benton played his freshman and sophomore seasons Newton High (Covington, Ga.) before transferring to IMG Academy for his junior campaign. He transferred back to Newton High for his senior season. The quick and powerful defensive tackle with a non-stop motor posted 37 tackles, eight tackles for loss and three sacks in the first four games on the 2022 season. He posted 76 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and nine sacks as a freshman bursting onto the recruiting scene. 

Benton’s father is former Georgia Bulldogs linebacker Phillip Benton. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:29 PM, Hornlover said:

The burnt orange number 6? Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into recruits homes, a whoopin' and whompin' every other team that offers,within an inch of its life. Except the aggies, of course.

You spare the aggies?

NAW. We rape the shit out of them and steal all of their recruits at the Number 6 Dance later on.

Well fucking done sir.

49 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Shannon is a guy we need. Supposedly a really nasty blocker, and at 6'7 a real matchup problem. Him versus Ethan Burke in practice may look like an octopus having a seizure. 

Plus it would be a bad look to drop Mater Dei kids close to signing day in back to back years

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Shannon isn't going anywhere for the reasons articulated above. We can't nudge out Randle for obvious reasons. I have no idea who the staff might try to nudge elsewhere. Walton? Wouldn't think so given MM is kinda looking around. Goosby? Can't imagine them processing out OL. 

Billy Walton has had a terrific senior season thus far..  Also, isn't Shannon a few brisket tacos away from being an OT prospect?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Shannon isn't going anywhere for the reasons articulated above. We can't nudge out Randle for obvious reasons. I have no idea who the staff might try to nudge elsewhere. Walton? Wouldn't think so given MM is kinda looking around. Goosby? Can't imagine them processing out OL. 

Goosby has elite p5 teams knocking down his door. He's having a better senior campaign than junior.  The same can be said for Walton.

As stated above, Shannon is the guy who will play the role Karic is playing this year for us, except he has pass catching ability and is 6'7.

Jamel Johnson already processed.

Reading tea leaves and seeing him visit other schools but not visiting us much as other commits I'd get Cojoe is the one. Wisner might potentially be a candidate too, hear he's the backup to a sophomore or something now at Desoto.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

As I remember, we dont have a hard cap of 30 anymore right? It's just we can't be over 85? I get the feeling there will be some aggressive roster turnover again if thats the case.

Bingo. Bottom of the roster is still really bad and not championship level. That will change this cycle IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Billy Walton has had a terrific senior season thus far..  Also, isn't Shannon a few brisket tacos away from being an OT prospect?

Yes and yes. He’s got the frame and athleticism to become a really good OT if he can put on and maintain good weight (hint- most 17 year olds can) and if not he’s your hybrid blocking TE. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes and yes. He’s got the frame and athleticism to become a really good OT if he can put on and maintain good weight (hint- most 17 year olds can) and if not he’s your hybrid blocking TE. 

They're not recruiting him for OT growth....he's not what we want at that position from a size standpoint. He'd have to gain 70-80 lbs as well. He's specifically being recruited for the Karic role except he is athletic and can catch.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They're not recruiting him for OT growth....he's not what we want at that position from a size standpoint. He'd have to gain 70-80 lbs as well. He's specifically being recruited for the Karic role except he is athletic and can catch.

Isn’t he 6’7” with long arms?  If he can’t keep weight down they might just see how much good weight sticks man. That’s not a small dude if they ends up happening. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Isn’t he 6’7” with long arms?  If he can’t keep weight down they might just see how much good weight sticks man. That’s not a small dude if they ends up happening. 

But why put more weight on the kid, when he doesn't want to be an OL? The Texas offense has a very defined role for his body type right now, and he'd be an absolute upgrade over the guy they have playing that role now.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

But why put more weight on the kid, when he doesn't want to be an OL? The Texas offense has a very defined role for his body type right now, and he'd be an absolute upgrade over the guy they have playing that role now.

Sometimes the Freshman 50 just happens without trying.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Justin Benton locks in official visit to Texas

Gerry Hamilton•8 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

(Tim Warner/Getty Images)

Justin Benton has locked in an official date to check out the Texas Longhorns.

The On3 Consensus 3-star defensive tackle and West Virginia verbal informed Inside Texas Thursday afternoon that he is scheduled to officially visit Texas December 3-5.

The 6-foot-0 3/4, 280 pound wrecking ball was offered by the Longhorns October 28. He posted a picture of Texas sophomore defensive tackle Byron Murphy II in the offer tweet, which is the player Benton reminds the Texas staff of most.

The Longhorns main competition for the West Virginia “soft commit” is currently Arkansas. Benton made an official visit to Arkansas last weekend.

Justin Benton File

The Peach State prospect committed to the Mountaineers June 18 over finalists Tennessee, Mississippi State, Georgia, Houston, Nebraska, Duke and Penn State. He made an official visit to West Virginia June 3. 

Benton played his freshman and sophomore seasons Newton High (Covington, Ga.) before transferring to IMG Academy for his junior campaign. He transferred back to Newton High for his senior season. The quick and powerful defensive tackle with a non-stop motor posted 37 tackles, eight tackles for loss and three sacks in the first four games on the 2022 season. He posted 76 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and nine sacks as a freshman bursting onto the recruiting scene. 

Benton’s father is former Georgia Bulldogs linebacker Phillip Benton. 

so what happens if we're in the big 12 title game?

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

That means something different to @South Austin’s mom.

she clears that during a rush weekend. 

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’m not sure what’s sillier. Suggesting Walton as a candidate to be processed or that we try and put 80 pounds on a kid so he can play a position he’s never played a down at before. Jake McMillon says hi.

it’s silly to imagine a 6’7” kid with a huge frame could get to 300 lbs after a few years in a college strength program?  have you never followed college football?

• Hook 'Em 1

Meaningless.  Both the Mannings and Vaseks have the financial means to buy out a lease.  A deposit is just a placeholder.
I'm sure Cooper is doing well for himself in whatever business venture he's in, but he doesn't have Peyton and Eli's Superbowl rings, long NFL careers and endorsement money. People talk like the entire Manning family pool their money together and split it up like restaurant waitstaff do with tips.

Having said that, I'm sure Arch would be just fine for money even if NIL didn't exist and the NCAA still pretended to enforce their rules.

45 minutes ago, ousux said:

I'm sure Cooper is doing well for himself in whatever business venture he's in, but he doesn't have Peyton and Eli's Superbowl rings, long NFL careers and endorsement money. People talk like the entire Manning family pool their money together and split it up like restaurant waitstaff do with tips.

Having said that, I'm sure Arch would be just fine for money even if NIL didn't exist and the NCAA still pretended to enforce their rules.

He's worth 13 million

• Haha 3