Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 hours ago, D3zii said:

99088654-4267-4CDB-9A61-56C3EFFBC77E.thumb.png.3f7dd023e43c9cb7097bdd93d0519502.png

For thoes that need help, this is Anthony Hill liking and reposting Vaskes commitment 

If it’s happening. It’s happening 

Also one minute after he lit a blunt to celebrate and hopefully right before he plugged in his phone.

(I realize this isn’t his phone)

7 minutes ago, Wizlon said:

Hicks visiting Oregon instead of us this weekend.

image.thumb.png.9f2172a390c049ff48cf8a0b6b8460ec.png

My (uninformed) take on this recruiting situation. Obviously Hicks is looking for an out from aggy. OU was his runner up the first time he committed, but they're another dumpster fire. Hicks won't give them the time of day. Oregon feels like it is too far for the likes of Hicks which leads me to believe this is more bag shenanigans.  But I think Texas still has a chance to win this recruitment if they finish the season strong.

• Hook 'Em 3

Regarding…

I am thinking that some new NIL initiatives are in place/ are being actively funded, because…

The amount of glee and the amount of movement happening after getting outscored 17-3 in the second consecutive game DESPITE a bye week to prepare…

While the perennial power in the state next door just beat Bama to take pole position in the SEC West…

Well, it seems a little over-the-top. I like it, but I have been frustrated by not being able to buy top players for too many years to think that our awesome 6-3 record (with all 3 losses coming from blown 2nd half leads) is just blowing these 4 & 5 star kids away. 

I really hope that someone besides Sark… (Marion?🙏) is put in charge of calling plays in the 2nd half so that our defense isn’t on the field for over 20 of the 30 minutes trying to run down Max Duggan.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

^ I am thinking that some new NIK initiatives are in place/ are being actively funded, because…

The amount of glee and the amount of movement happening after getting outscored 17-3 in the second consecutive game DESPITE a bye week to prepare…

Man, we beat a top-15 team on the road. Sark tried to choke up another second half, which is deeply frustrating for those of us that watch the games, but most recruits were watching Bama-LSU and caught the score, and that's just a good win no matter how it happened. It's ok to be happy sometimes.

Now let's go beat the #4 Frogs.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, we beat a top-15 team on the road. Sark tried to choke up another second half, which is deeply frustrating for those of us that watch the games, but most recruits were watching Bama-LSU and caught the score, and that's just a good win no matter how it happened. It's ok to be happy sometimes.

Now let's go beat the #4 Frogs.

When Ford intercepted and we got the TD before halftime I thought:

”Okay, that may just be enough to keep pull out the win after we get run over in the second half.”

And then the second half happened and I started to doubt my initial relief. 

Sark needs to svript plays for the 2nd half that either alter what we did in the first half or provide payoffs for what we showed in the first half. 

He is sucking ass at in-game adjustments, but he kicks ass at the pregame prep stuff. 

I just want to be happy and comfortably arrogant, damnit!!

Is that too much to ask?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Lil Searels? She's maximizing her genetics, but Tyler is clearly the catch in the recruiting department.

Absolutely befuddled by all that's going on and then tex drops this mind bomb of picking the short and curvy, over the taller and skinnier option...

Like pigs flying or some shit

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Sark needs to svript plays for the 2nd half that either alter what we did in the first half or provide payoffs for what we showed in the first half. 

One of the many knocks on Sark (by people who are smarter than I on ball) is he's great on initial script, and terrible at building off of those plays. Add in lack of adjustments and reverting back to "let's go deep" (insert mom joke) whenever he wants to do something other than what he should do in most instances-- run the ball, then you start to clearly see the criticisms of one Steven Sarkisian. 

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

One of the many knocks on Sark (by people who are smarter than I on ball) is he's great on initial script, and terrible at building off of those plays. Add in lack of adjustments and reverting back to "let's go deep" (insert mom joke) whenever he wants to do something other than what he should do in most instances-- run the ball, then you start to clearly see the criticisms of one Steven Sarkisian. 

The last UT drive in Stillwater I was begging for a play action quick pass to the TE on 1st down, it didn’t happen. 

I think that Okie State had 10 in the box on that play. 

(Maybe 9 in the box on 1st down and 10 in the box on 2nd down.)

He’s too fucking predictable in the 2nd half. 

And don’t get me started on bombs to a half-assing it Worthy. 🤬

Sark: 1st Half

Marion: 2nd Half

Storm the field at Full Time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Absolutely befuddled by all that's going on and then tex drops this mind bomb of picking the short and curvy, over the taller and skinnier option...

Like pigs flying or some shit

Wild I know, as the board Kiera Knightley/Taylor Swift enthusiast, but man, sometimes you have to go with the pretty face.

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

When Ford intercepted and we got the TD before halftime I thought:

”Okay, that may just be enough to keep pull out the win after we get run over in the second half.”

And then the second half happened and I started to doubt my initial relief. 

He is sucking ass at in-game adjustments, but he kicks ass at the pregame prep stuff. 

I just want to be happy and comfortably arrogant, damnit!!

Is that too much to ask?

Yes, but it's college sports. If your team of 18-22 year olds manages to stop fucking around enough for a ranked win you take it.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Regarding…

I am thinking that some new NIL initiatives are in place/ are being actively funded, because…

While the perennial power in the state next door just beat Bama to take pole position in the SEC West…

Well, it seems a little over-the-top. I like it, but I have been frustrated by not being able to buy top players for too many years to think that our awesome 6-3 record (with all 3 losses coming from blown 2nd half leads) is just blowing these 4 & 5 star kids away. 

I really hope that someone besides Sark… (Marion?🙏) is put in charge of calling plays in the 2nd half so that our defense isn’t on the field for over 20 of the 30 minutes trying to run down Max Duggan.

That video was posted back in June. I'm as concerned as the next person about our ability to fuck this up, but I think it's just the result of our immediate competitors shitting the bed, our seeming upward trend, a good road win, and the sprint to NSD1.

That being said, I'm extremely excited but until the game is played this weekend I'm skeptical.

Also another thought I just had. Surely Bama shitting the bed this year (lol 2 losses is shitting the bed for them) is helping us keep Muhammad in the boat.

• Hook 'Em 1

You can't really blame kids for going to Oregon and looking into the pot of gold being offered to lure kids there.  Plus it's probably a part of the country that they have not seen before.  I never blame kids for taking advantage of opportunities, and taking a look.  What NIL has done for Texas is allowed us to compete with the schools that have been bagman programs for years, with legal and above board NIL opportunities (our version of bag men).  Schools like Oregon has the support of Nike for heaven's sake, so their pot of gold is pretty darn attractive.

In the end I think you have to remember these are still kids.  Like nearly every kid there will be moments of home sickness.  My memory of early UT was going back to Houston at least once a month my first year, to party and see how those younger high school gals turned out, that I passed on as being too young.  But mainly it was because "home" was still home.  By my Sophomore year I rarely went back home, as my "home" was not Austin.  And that never changed.

I think that most of these young men would prefer to stay closer to home.  To have their friends and family close enough to come home for a birthday, or other family event.  I think that in the end Hicks is a lot more likely to sign with the good guys, instead of with Oregon.  Simply as our bag game is now on par with anyone's. Because of that I tend to think the normal stuff (for MOST kids) of being closer to home provides a better comfort level, and quite honestly a better chance at overall football success.

Now of course if we shit the bed the next three weekends out bag game won't mean shit.  But it's nice to know know that we can indeed compete with schools that have been bag man schools for years. So now all we need do with win a few more games that we should have!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The last UT drive in Stillwater I was begging for a play action quick pass to the TE on 1st down, it didn’t happen. 

I think that Okie State had 10 in the box on that play. 

(Maybe 9 in the box on 1st down and 10 in the box on 2nd down.)

He’s too fucking predictable in the 2nd half. 

And don’t get me started on bombs to a half-assing it Worthy. 🤬

Sark: 1st Half

Marion: 2nd Half

Storm the field at Full Time.

Maybe the oline just needs not to kill every drive with a false start in the second half.  Let’s try that first.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 11/8/2022 at 7:35 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Just a gut feeling, but I think Hicks sticks with aggy. There’s a lot of “turmoil” at Paetow, I bet the family wants to keep a low profile right now. 

i thought all the turmoil was the head coach (kids) and the OC (different issue) but nothing with his dad, who was made the interim head coach?

17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Now Bowen is not coming. 

Looks like Gideon dropped the ball again. 

He's not coaching up these safeties, he let the top safety in Texas feel less than heavily prioritized, instead he brings in a guy who ends up playing DE on his HS team.

What value does he present? You really don't even see him around in recruit pics. As a young guy, you'd think he have more juice than that.

I have to believe his contract will not be renewed after this year

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Looks like Gideon dropped the ball again. 

He's not coaching up these safeties, he let the top safety in Texas feel less than heavily prioritized, instead he brings in a guy who ends up playing DE on his HS team.

What value does he present? You really don't even see him around in recruit pics. As a young guy, you'd think he have more juice than that.

I have to believe his contract will not be renewed after this year

Who do you think got Michael Taaffe to walk on? Is that not enough for you?

• Haha 8

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

My (uninformed) take on this recruiting situation. Obviously Hicks is looking for an out from aggy. OU was his runner up the first time he committed, but they're another dumpster fire. Hicks won't give them the time of day. Oregon feels like it is too far for the likes of Hicks which leads me to believe this is more bag shenanigans.  But I think Texas still has a chance to win this recruitment if they finish the season strong.

Hicks seems to be the guy who wants to end up at Texas the least. He seems to be actively resisting engaging with us. I just don't see it happening. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1