Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We needed to make a statement and that statement is we suck still and regression is still there. Bijan dances around so fucking much it’s nauseating.  Quinn has regressed so much he wouldn’t make the 2 deep at some d2 program. The defense flexed legit muscle tonight and played balls out. Sark still fucking blows.  6 points in 6 qtrs of offense but we aren’t aggy

Bijan dances hoping to break that 20 yard run often means getting tackled for no gain. If he'd just hit the fucking holes and take what the D gives him, we would not have been 2nd and 3rd and 10s all fucking game. 

It's no coincidence the one long 71 yard drive we had was feeding Whitt on the out passes. That dude runs up field as soon as fucking possible.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I usually take the rest of the weekend off of the board after a loss. However I'll take a second to say that the defense played fantastic, and this game ultimately needed to sell our defensive recruits in my opinion. I think Duce is probably out, but otherwise everyone else can get pitched on early playing time. If anything the coaching staff has maintained a "the best will play," mantra and it shows. 

Or maybe Duce is thinking to himself, “well I can actually catch the fucking ball so I could start right away here”

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Does having a permafried QB provide a good trajectory for the program?

Defensive trajectory has been terrific. D-line was absolutely ferocious and we finally have the LB play to compensate for our weaknesses in the secondary.

Offensive trajectory has been another story entirely. Most QBs, freshmen or not, don't regress as badly as Ewers has. And if they do they're usually benched.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Defensive trajectory has been terrific. D-line was absolutely ferocious and we finally have the LB play to compensate for our weaknesses in the secondary.

Offensive trajectory has been another story entirely. Most QBs, freshmen or not, don't regress as badly as Ewers has. And if they do they're usually benched.

A3086E61-DA79-4F0A-9FD8-3B5236ECA818.thumb.jpeg.6287db492b9da01016f881ea95ba4dca.jpeg

At least he has company

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

PK has gotten a lot of shit deservedly but he has a record of success. His unit has shown improvement throughout the year. Sark on the other hand has always been mediocre and he’s now regressing back to who he has been. He’s only good under a HC who cracks the whip.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Who hacked your account. It's almost as if opposing coaches have film on Ewers and know how to exploit his weaknesses. It's up to Quinn to grow as a QB. Max Duggan was garbage and is pretty good his 4th year, Bo Nix also garbage and now look at him. 

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

PK has gotten a lot of shit deservedly but he has a record of success. His unit has shown improvement throughout the year. Sark on the other hand has always been mediocre and he’s now regressing back to who he has been. He’s only good under a HC who cracks the whip.

Ironically, if Gary P was our Head Coach and Sark was his OC, I bet we’d win a lot more games.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

It's almost as if opposing coaches have film on Ewers and know how to exploit his weaknesses. It's up to Quinn to grow as a QB. Max Duggan was garbage and is pretty good his 4th year, Bo Nix also garbage and now look at him. 

"Release a safety downhill because Ewers can't hit a route over the top to save his life" isn't much of an exploit. Most teams figured it out by the second half, TCU just took the next logical step and started doing it earlier.

We can quibble over how much of the blame belongs to Ewers or Worthy but the fact remains we can't solve it. Last year someone put together a big video compilation of Card and Thompson missing Worthy on deep routes. Well the problem hasn't gone away.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

A defense doesn't have to do much when you can't accurately throw a ball

His issue is trusting his arm too much so he doesn't step up when he should. Other than that, receivers gotta catch the ball. Worthy's gotta run better routes. We need a running game to protect the freshman QB.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not quite as down on Ewers as some of y'all  but I do think maybe staying in HS another year and redshirting would've been good for him. I know kids want to play immediately these days but even VY and Colt needed a RS year. Having Hutson out also seemed to be pretty substantial, especially in the run game.  Also, it was almost cruel of Barron to run back that scoop and score to give us 3 minutes of false hope. Even if we all knew it was false. 

Anyway, despite the absolute shitshow on offense, I'm hopeful that the atmosphere and defensive performance at least gave the recruits something to think about.  Hill especially. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Recruits don't care about individual wins and losses, they care about the trajectory of the program. Players care about wins and losses and if Sark hasn't lost the locker room then everything should be fine. 

Exactly.

I mean just look at who we are still targeting. The defense balled out with an aggressive scheme that looked incredibly fun to be playing in. That is going to help with Hill, McDonald and Tyler Owens. Deal was already leaning TCU anyway and sure losing tonight probably ends that pursuit but he isn't make or break for this class either way. It is unfortunate Hicks wasn't here to see our DTs spending the entire game sitting on the QB but Oregon lost with some pretty piss poor defensive play tonight in front of him. So its not like he was being wowed by someone else. 

On offense? Cook and Arch are the only offensive guys in this class that are truly matter "must keep" and both seem rock solid with us. If you believe you can complete passes wide fucking open thanks to the scheme then nothing changed for you tonight. Same if you believe you can catch passes that hit you directly in the hands. We were never getting Duce anyway short of running the table and looking like a near future playoff contender. 

Even in terms of the flips we were helped. Greathouse? ND still looks like its offense is from the '50s and snuck by Navy with a FG. Hicks? As mentioned Oregon lost and OU is in a tail spin even worse than ours. All the Aggies? I mean fucking look at them. Lost to Auburn and are now literally below Vanderbilt at bottom of SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

So how long till we hear rumors or arch looking at tenn?

If there is a team to worry about, and I don’t think there is, it’s UGA. Tennessee has a top 5 QB from California committed and reportedly signed to a big NIL deal. He’s also a better fit for Heupel’s system than Arch is. 

1 hour ago, Nope said:

That game felt so much like a year one Charlie Strong loss 

I said in the game thread. The only thing consistent about Texas is they find ways to lose any momentum. Every time they have a chance to say they are back, they find a way  to shoot themselves in the foot 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just rewatched the game, because apparently I am sick like that. By my count, there were 6 drops, 2 by Worthy and Sanders, 1 by Billingsly, and the one where the rec. ran his route out of bounds. Those catches would’ve been hood for about 50 yards. 23/39 for 225 yds is not a terrible stat line. Recruits can see this and they understand.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I remember in 2006 when we had a RS FR QB who lost games and everyone wanted him gone.

You and I remember 2006 very differently. Colt literally tied the NCAA freshman record for TDs. More importantly, at no point was he completely unable to run the offense. At least before he injured his shoulder.

Now if Ewers is playing hurt that's a different story.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You and I remember 2006 very differently. Colt literally tied the NCAA freshman record for TDs. More importantly, at no point was he completely unable to run the offense. At least before he injured his shoulder.

Now if Ewers is playing hurt that's a different story.

Colt had a much better offensive line in 2006, but I do agree he was never in a funk like this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Curious from those more knowledgeable on recruiting what the likely impact from a performance like last night will be.

Sark the offensive play caller is fairly proven despite objectively laying a huge egg last night.  I struggle to think offensive recruits dismiss his track record on one performance.

Defense had the most question marks and most to gain or lose last night, and turned in their best outing of the season when adjusted for quality of opponent.

Sark as a head coach suffers the most from a perception standpoint taking a loss when a win over #4 would be a big statement that the program is going on the right direction in year 2.  That didn't happen, but I think the impact of the loss would depend a lot on the expectations of recruits.  Are they expecting we're beating #4 in year 2 or improving incrementally in year 2?

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

At this point all I care about is winning enough to keep this class and get some more studs to jump on the train with arch. Scoreless on offense for 6 qtrs won’t do it. If we lose to kansas(and I fully expect too) then I think the decommits might start.

Awwwww….someone’s feelings got hurt.  This is the dumbest post I have seen in a while. You literally don’t understand how recruiting works and post this stupid shit.  Arch isn’t going anywhere but Texas.  We will win our last 2 games and end up 8-4.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

Where are y'all at with this team? On one hand this doesn't look like the same old Texas. There's clear progress and we are so young across the board. If this team sticks together it's not hard too imagine them really breaking through at some point. Especially if we can have a handful of early impact guys from this class. Also, hats off to PK, that was probably the best Texas defensive performance in at least 10 years. 14 TFL's, 5 sacks, and a TD in a losing effort is almost unbelievable. Development is there, Ford, Cook, Sorrell, Coburn, Sweat are prime examples. We haven't seen player progression like this around here in a long time.

....Though on the other hand, Sark is starting to look like burnt orange Scott Frost. You have to try really hard to lose 80% of your one score games. You cannot lay an egg like that in a game of that magnitude. 8-4 is a good season all things considered but these losses have been brutal. 

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 9

5 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Awwwww….someone’s feelings got hurt.  This is the dumbest post I have seen in a while. You literally don’t understand how recruiting works and post this stupid shit.  Arch isn’t going anywhere but Texas.  We will win our last 2 games and end up 8-4.  

Lmao. You have your fucking head in the sand if you think we’re gonna win our last two games. It’s incredible that our fanbase does this in year two of every shitty coach we have. Denial is a bitch I guess. 

• Fuck You 1

453677A6-1B70-4189-B0FB-D138F9FF276E.jpeg.1b27d34d4af1a605ff6125a820a17f56.jpeg

Charlie really really sucked. We kicked off twice In a game. Special teams was atrocious. Offensive line was non existent. That was a bad football team. Embarrassingly bad.

Sark teams haven’t looked that bad. It honestly just seems like coaching. Charlie didn’t have the players and wasn’t a good coach. Sark has the players and isn’t a good coach. I guess it’s surprising that teams that look vastly different have the same outcome. Truly, we are cursed. While Mack is 7-1.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao. You have your fucking head in the sand if you think we’re gonna win our last two games. It’s incredible that our fanbase does this in year two of every shitty coach we have. Denial is a bitch I guess. 

Both of our last two opponents are very beatable. But due to a decade of disappointment, I’m going to say we go 1-1.

32 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

You're right -- Arch will come to Texas. But if you think 2-0 is a given, you're in denial. Leipold and Aranda are good coaches -- both are perfectly capable of exploiting our weaknesses.

I think y'all are overrating the impact of one loss. Class of 2023 was 4-5 years old for the 2009 season and may or may not even have been born for the national championship against USC. They have never known Texas to be anything other than a program where 7-5 is normal. They know what they are getting into on the W-L front and the pitches, both before and after last night, revolve around building, and them being a piece that helps change things.

Where W-L becomes a problem is a couple years from now when Sark still hasn't done any better than 7-5/8-4. At that point Sark will not be able to sell hope and then you will see Texas recruiting start to slip.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think y'all are overrating the impact of one loss. Class of 2023 was 4-5 years old for the 2009 season and may or may not even have been born for the national championship against USC. They have never known Texas to be anything other than a program where 7-5 is normal. They know what they are getting into on the W-L front and the pitches, both before and after last night, revolve around building, and them being a piece that helps change things.

Where W-L becomes a problem is a couple years from now when Sark still hasn't done any better than 7-5/8-4. At that point Sark will not be able to sell hope and then you will see Texas recruiting start to slip.

I don't think a 7 point loss to a top 4 team is a big deal for recruiting. The bigger deal is Mr. offensive guru and his generational QB dropping a total turd with Arch, Johntay, etc in attendance. On the flip side, I'd hope Ant Hill and the defensive recruits liked seeing our defense basically dominate a top 5 offense. 

Hopefully the recruits are reminded how young our offense is. QE is realistically a true freshman. True Freshman QBs almost always suck which is why they rarely start - Weigman and Klubnik this year have sucked too. In total, we only have 4 starters on offense who are even draft eligible - Bijan, JWhit, Jones, and Majors. That's nuts. But Sark clearly need to

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Our other two losses are to legitimate top 10 teams.  It sucks that we had a chance to win both and didn't, but those aren't the losses to be stressing in year 2.

Maybe you should be asking yourself how TCU went from a 5-7 doormat that lost to Sark to a legitimate top 10 team in year 1 of Dykes, while we're 11-11 and still spouting excuses in year 2 of Sark.

TCU's defense was supposed to be horribad this year. They were the 116th-ranked defense in all of FBS last season and hired a DC from fucking Tulsa, who promptly shut down Sark's offense. This is not some 'woe is me, Sark doesn't have enough talent to score on these guys' situation. blOU scored 24 on them in Fort Worth without a functioning QB.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Congratulations on your big win last night!

I'm not the one trying to squeeze a moral victory out of Sark's failure to put a functioning offense on the field in year 2. But you're right, it's too much to ask for more than six offensive points in six quarters. What unrealistic expectations on my part.

Surely, having displayed zero offensive improvement coming off a bye week, we'll pull it together in the last two games.

• Hook 'Em 3