Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

35 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Because they thought they were going to flip Malachi Nelson.

Did they bring Nelson in the same weekend as Novosad? I can't remember. Shoot your shot I guess, but it really seems like Novosad didn't appreciate A&M treating him like a secondary target they could flip whenever they wanted. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I'm not mistaken he's said before that he's hired multiple people with LSU degrees and they've been good. He's also had bad experiences with people who have Texas degrees. 

Well, I can't really tell from this CTJ comment ... 😂

image.thumb.png.0d6b8e3755eeab5693ee6ce379fdd272.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Going out on a limb and saying the guy with the skinny frame playing CB in a high school all star game is not likely playing off the ball linebacker at Texas. I assume safety is the projection? 

You mean the son of the guy who played college linebacker?

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Going out on a limb and saying the guy with the skinny frame playing CB in a high school all star game is not likely playing off the ball linebacker at Texas. I assume safety is the projection? 

The intent is to find a spot between off the ball LB, boundary safety (Rover), and nickel. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

Lmao Jelani thanking both god and "all the pretty ladies that came out today" before announcing Texas. 

I still have no fucking idea how TCU couldn't find room for him on their roster. Or that we almost didn't consider him a take. It was baffling during the entire process and I was raging when there was talk we might pass on him. He has as high a ceiling (or maybe higher) as any defender in this class and yes including Hill / Derek Williams. Just crazy physical tools even if he probably won't see the field much for a couple years as he finds and learns a new position. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, El Moco said:

Is Duce committing today?  I seem to remember reading that he had an announcement date of January 7th set.  I just assumed it would happen at the All-American Bowl, but was wrong.

Believe he has stated he will be announcing at the next signing day in February.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Lmao Jelani thanking both god and "all the pretty ladies that came out today" before announcing Texas. 

I still have no fucking idea how TCU couldn't find room for him on their roster. Or that we almost didn't consider him a take. It was baffling during the entire process and I was raging when there was talk we might pass on him. He has as high a ceiling (or maybe higher) as any defender in this class and yes including Hill / Derek Williams. Just crazy physical tools even if he probably won't see the field much for a couple years as he finds and learns a new position. 

They'd rather take Alabama castoffs even though their coach said they shouldn't be taking Alabama castoffs.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Are you trying to make the point that everyone plays the same position as their father did? 

No, but I’m also not trying to make the point that a 6’2” 200 pound 18 year old who plays basketball and runs track is destined to stay at 200 pounds.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

No, but I’m also not trying to make the point that a 6’2” 200 pound 18 year old who plays basketball and runs track is destined to stay at 200 pounds.

His lead recruiter is also… Choate… Which might be a sign that he’ll end up playing LB…

He is the kind of kid Patterson would have taken at TCU and eaten Texas’s lunch with.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Welp, I've changed my mind. Top 5, then. Arch, Baxter, Johnny, and Hill. 

Good call 

While I agree with the sentiment, I hesitate to put a top 5 out. I think Mitchell is an incredible pickup. Keeping Muhammad away from Alabama. Lefau from Hawaii. I know a lot of us typically fall into "best class ever," right after signing day. I won't go that far, but I'm very very very impressed with the raw talent we got this year. I also think it speaks volumes that our coaching staff is willing to acknowledge weak points on the roster, and they're not afraid to load up and see what sticks. 

• Hook 'Em 5

You should probably look up what PJ Locke is currently doing

Hm. OK. So the point was PJ was committed to Oregon (I think?) for pretty much the entire recruiting cycle. We missed out on someone late and came back to PJ late and he flipped.

We tried the same thing with Innis Gaines (also from Beaumont ironically) who was long committed to TCU, after we missed out on someone else, and he politely said “no thanks”.

And another irony….Gaines and McDonald have almost exactly the same build.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

So excluding the portal, and other than Duece who is a super long shot, is the any other recruit we’re still in the running for?

Per the 247 top 250 list.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

The only unsigned are the ones below.
Only a couple are linked to TX in rumors.

• Cormani McClain CB 5* 
  • Nyckoles Harbor ATH 5* 
  • Duce Robinson TE 5* (everyone here except for Futureman thinks he's kind of a long shot)
  • Rodrick Pleasant CB 4*
  • Walker Lyons TE 4* (HS player of the year I heard?)
  • Raymond Cottrell WR 4*
  • Mikal Harrison-Pilot ATH 4* (linked to TX at times but... #numbers)
  • Jeremiah Cobb RB 4*
  • Shamar Easter TE 4*
  • Warren Roberson S 4*
  • Taeshaun Lyons WR 4* 
  • Zavion Hardy DL 4*

I'm just a fan reading the message boards.  So, I don't have any insider info.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Per the 247 top 250 list.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

The only unsigned are the ones below.
Only a couple are linked to TX in rumors.

• Cormani McClain CB 5* 
  • Nyckoles Harbor ATH 5* 
  • Duce Robinson TE 5* (everyone here except for Futureman thinks he's kind of a long shot)
  • Rodrick Pleasant CB 4*
  • Walker Lyons TE 4* (HS player of the year I heard?)
  • Raymond Cottrell WR 4*
  • Mikal Harrison-Pilot ATH 4* (linked to TX at times but... #numbers)
  • Jeremiah Cobb RB 4*
  • Shamar Easter TE 4*
  • Warren Roberson S 4*
  • Taeshaun Lyons WR 4* 
  • Zavion Hardy DL 4*

I'm just a fan reading the message boards.  So, I don't have any insider info.

Nyckoles Harbor is an insane athletic freak.

• Hook 'Em 1