Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

No Boxing doesn't pay that.  UFC is the pinnacle of MMA.  They have about 600 fighters under contract at any given time.  Roughly 40% of those make 6 figures a year (250). No top 250 list for boxers, but the #99 boxer makes about 200k a fight and #100 (fights in more popular weight class) made 500k in his last fight.  I'd be surprised if the #250 ranked boxer made less than the #250 ranked UFC fighter.  Might be possible, but doubtful.  Yes if you compare a first time UFC fighter to a first time boxer the UFC fighter would make more, but that is likely not the first pro fight that MMA fighter has fought.  If anything an MMA fighter on the way up and a boxer on the way up earn about the same.  Once they start getting on PPVs, etc... the boxers earning potential is way more.  

You’re an absolute schmuck for going to bat for ufc lol
They let their heavyweight champion walk cause he they wouldn’t pay and he will get paid twice as much for a boxing match than his last ufc contract.
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, hadtoaddresssometingisaw said:

You’re an absolute schmuck for going to bat for ufc lol
They let their heavyweight champion walk cause he they wouldn’t pay and he will get paid twice as much for a boxing match than his last ufc contract.

I think you have reading comprehension issues.  I am clearly stating in all of my posts that boxing is a better route to go.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He didn’t even want Stetson then, why would he want him now? They would be dumb to draft high and move on from Lamar, but they’ll probably go find some big armed, tallish qb on day 2 of the draft. 

Guess I should've added '/s' since it wasn't obvious....

• Haha 1

Eric Nahlin: Texas needs to hit on these evaluations for a fast start in the SEC

We’re not putting the cart ahead of the season, but evaluation never stops, even after a recruit signs and arrives on campus. The roster is in a constant state of assessment for strengths and weaknesses. Texas is guaranteed to lose some quality players after this next season. Therefore, younger players will need to show the ability to help the program reload at a position, not rebuild.

Making matters more crucial, this will be Texas’ last season in the Big 12 before joining the SEC. Simply put, it takes a deeper, more talented roster than what Texas has had in the past to compete in the game’s top conference. Fortunately, the pieces to not only compete but thrive are pretty much everywhere, assuming the coaches made good evaluations and the players develop.

Given the current roster, here are players the staff needs to hit on ahead of Season 1 in the SEC.

iDL Aaron Bryant: Texas’ enviable rotation of interior defensive linemen will thin further right as the program needs the sort of depth and quality we saw this past season. Between this offseason and next, Texas will have lost Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, T’Vondre Sweat, and (possibly) Alfred Collins. As of now it doesn’t appear there are four guys close to replacement value. Texas needs positive signs from redshirt freshman Aaron Bryant. They should also motivate him to change numbers because No. 53 does not appeal to numbers science.

CB Malik Muhammad: He’s on the list mainly due to his long-term importance to the program. Thankfully he’s one of the safer evaluations you’ll find, though it’s up to the staff to ensure he develops into a top flight field corner. Muhammad should make that job easy, but you just never know. So far so good on early returns. Hopefully he plays enough this season to where the experience has real value.

WR Johntay Cook also tucks in here. Texas has to hit on that evaluation but it’s hard to be too concerned about it because he’s wired to compete and succeed.

iDL Sydir Mitchell: Mitchell is one of the most important players in the entire program. He’s a genuine “Georgia” interior lineman and Texas won’t have enough of those, at least that are developed, by the time 2024 rolls around. Fortunately he’s already on campus. Hopefully he can earn 20 snaps a game this season before taking on a bigger role in 2024.

LB Liona Lefau: New Inside Texas contributor Jake Langi knows the true freshman very well after helping Texas recruit Lefau and his family. What Jake says will hold more water than what I say, but until last Thursday me and Jake never talked about Lefau. Meaning, there are multiple sources high on Lefau’s do-it-all ability. If you can do it all at linebacker, you’re going to end up at Mike in this scheme. In order of likelihood, the three most likely to replace Jaylan Ford are Lefau, S’Maje Burrell, and maybe Anthony Hill.

S Derek Williams: I think it’s likely Williams will play both safety positions in his career at Texas. Many safeties arrive with the look of a boundary or field safety, but not the Raptor. There is no clear successor to Jerrin Thompson at field and if Jalen Catalon has a healthy year, he’ll probably depart as well. Unfortunately Williams didn’t enroll early. Trial by fire might be his best bet for rapid development.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. Here are two examples:

Edge Jaray Bledsoe: People were pretty much unanimous in believing Bledsoe would end up moving inside relatively early in his career. While iDL is a genuine program need, the greater need at the moment is edge pass rushing. We don’t expect him to pass Barryn Sorrell, but we do expect to see more rotation at the position than last year.

DB Jaylon Guilbeau: The Texas staff ran hot and cold on this recruitment after inheriting his commitment. Guilbeau even de-committed and gave a verbal to TCU before re-thinking things. Given what we know about UT’s preferences in the secondary, it’s a bit odd he wasn’t prioritized more consistently, but they were working on numerous targets throughout the cycle. Here’s the beauty of it, few guys jump out as a Star-first player. Usually it’s corner or safety with the ability to spin to Star/nickel. But Guilbeau always looked like a nickel and now he’s in the perfect scheme to flourish. He’ll play a lot this year before owning the position for the rest of his time in Austin.

Bobby Burton: Arch Manning's choice proves prescient in light of Bama, UGA coordinator changes

People elsewhere wondered why Arch Manning would choose Texas over Alabama and Georgia. Well, this past week has shown exactly one of the reasons why. Not only did the Crimson Tide replace its offensive coordinator this off-season, but national champ Georgia must now do the same. In my opinion, the Mannings are a little smarter than your average folks when it comes to football.

Been thinking more and more about Savion Red’s move to RB. I’m really interested to see what he looks like there. If last season is any indication, one thing I think we all know about Red is that he will be a willing blocker in pass protection. As a receiver, he was such a tenacious blocker on the outside and was not afraid to mix it up with bigger players.

I know it’s a small thing in general, but something about his ability in pass protection combined with his overall toughness, ball skills and ability to make people miss give me the idea that the move ultimately may be great for Red and this football team. Furthermore, I think he’s strong enough and able to play through contact to run inside.

My only real question is his vision. If he has that, we could eventually looking at one of the more versatile running backs Texas has had in a long, long time. There’s a long way to go before that happens, but my fingers are crossed. I see a little something special there perhaps.

I spoke to a team source last night. They echoed what Inside Texas has reported previously. AD Mitchell is a future pro and treats the game, workouts and practices as such. What few may not know is that Xavier Worthy has always been held in high regard by the coaching staff for how he practices, too. Worthy is said to be meticulous with his route running, gives great effort overall and is generally seen as one of the team’s most focused players in practice.

Add in Isaiah Neyor who also drew rave reviews a year ago for his temperament and seriousness and a young Johntay Cook who is serious about his craft as well. One of the things Steve Sarkisian has said behind the scenes about his time at Alabama is just how serious how many of those players took football not just as a sport but as a profession. The receiver group certainly seems to be moving in that direction.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

What few may not know is that Xavier Worthy has always been held in high regard by the coaching staff for how he practices, too. Worthy is said to be meticulous with his route running, gives great effort overall and is generally seen as one of the team’s most focused players in practice.

Top-gun-bullshit GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

https://hookemheadlines.com/2023/02/17/texas-football-an-update-on-the-duce-robinson-recruitment/

Screenshot_20230217-225623.thumb.png.31ba7c6ce387e4de4478a117bb255274.png

I'm not sure if Hookem Headlines (shitty news aggregator) is wrong, or if 247 hasn't updated yet, but they claim Wiltfong put in a CB for Duce to USC. 

On 247, it looks like the USC mod put in a 5 confidence pick for Duce to USC, and Fong's CB to UGA from early January is still in place.

Screenshot_20230217-225432.thumb.png.01a49c8784f94ca27dd38ab67eb17f66.png

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Robinson’s dad doesn’t want him as far from home as Georgia. UGA tried to solve that in a game a way but it fell through. USC seems likely unless Texas finds a lot of couch money and updates its offer. 

Interesting given there were articles just this weekend that USCs NIL collectives have all fallen apart in the last few months. 

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/usc-trojans-football-nil-collective-market-tommy-group-blvd-llc-lincoln-riley-mike-bohn/

Interesting that USC is likely going to have one of the best TE groups in the country and they don't even use their TEs in their offense.

This is crazy to me because werent OUs TEs good like mark andrews. Or maybe that’s the list. I just felt like their TE’s always found away against us.

Probably get skewered for this but it’s an honest question. I thought from CTJ info UT would always be able to compete with any other school for NIL. If so - is it correct to conclude that we will not compete with USC on this his one because of what we believe to be a too high offer that we are unwilling to match or is it a case of being able to match but other non NIL factors tip favor to USC ?

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Probably get skewered for this but it’s an honest question. I thought from CTJ info UT would always be able to compete with any other school for NIL. If so - is it correct to conclude that we will not compete with USC on this his one because of what we believe to be a too high offer that we are unwilling to match or is it a case of being able to match but other non NIL factors tip favor to USC ?

I don't think it is an issue of NIL so much as it is a preference for a particular geographic location + NIL that NIL alone would have to supercede with a huge bid. We can all ask aggy how that worked out. He is a great talent, but if his family preference is to be in Cali, I don't see a ton of schools upping the bid until he is just overwhelmed with an offer because he may transfer out anyway.  

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Competing with anyone on a macro level doesn't mean there's always going to be the resources/will for every single recruit. And it's not hard to believe an AZ kid with some family roots in CA (just going off his 247 profile - his dad is from LA area) would pick USC over Texas, all else equal. So I see your don't see two options as mutually exclusive.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

Also, regarding Duce Robinson, I wouldn't view my prior take as gospel. As far as I've heard, no one would be surprised by any of the big 3 schools staying on him. If Texas NIL finds a quarter of a million hidden in its couch cushions, I'd be pretty optimistic.

If 100 of us want to contribute an additional $210/month for 12 months to Burnt Endz, Robinson could hear about it and be on campus in June. I'm all for it. But, hey, not sure there are 99 others ready to light an extra $2520/year on fire simply to be able to get an autograph or something from the guy. We're not talking about chump change for anyone.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

Interesting that USC is likely going to have one of the best TE groups in the country and they don't even use their TEs in their offense.

When your top guys are Lake McRee and Malcolm Epps, you better hope the TE position isn't a focal point of your offense at the P5 level. Guys like Sark and Riley are willing to involve TEs when they have a difference maker there (JTS or Mark Andrews) and Duce is that type of player. 

• Hook 'Em 4