What's going on with this DNI Whistleblower ?

triplehorn

37 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

You would think the head of the DNI would come off more impressive than what we just witnessed. I expected a cool, calm, collected individual. He seemed rattled and deathly scared of upsetting his boss. Also the smirking and giggling at the Republican talking points was not a good look. 

He's just acting. 

32 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I think DNI Coats and 2nd in line Sue Gordon abruptly got the hell out when they did because they’re about to be witnesses.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That would explain her very abrupt bailing on her job.

Keep in mind, Mueller testified to Congress that there was an ongoing counterintelligence investigation in Trump/Russia even though he had concluded his defined role.  I imagine some serious sniffing around immediately commenced.  16 days later, Coats is on the way out.  He interrupts a meeting to notify Sue Gordon, No.2 at DNI to resign immediately.  The DNI is separate from the DoJ, so its possible the counterintelligence investigation Mueller referenced was being run through and shielded by the DNI.  Whatever they had, they may have tied it off, secured evidence, and got out.  Privilege can't be asserted the same way once they're out of DNI, and they can testify to criminality regardless.

Also, recall back when the story about how no attorney would ever meet with Trump alone, that they always had another present in the room?  That's Sue Gordon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is it true that Trump threatened to take Pence down with him?

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

He hinted at it pretty strongly yesterday, saying that the media should see the transcript of Pence's talks with the Ukrainian president.

That sends a strong message to Turtle and the others in Congress that they will end up with Pelosi if Trump goes down.

It's like Trump is drowning, and he's intent on grabbing anybody nearby and pulling them under with him.

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yes, read it. I usually skip such readings because I'm an impatient, shallow dickhead. This letter from the WB is indeed well-written and compelling.

Trump and his chums want this to be all about the phone call. This letter describes a campaign launched from the White House to use a corrupt prosecutor in Ukraine named Lutsenko to investigate Biden and falsely "prove" that Ukraine rather than Russia was the source of the election interference which (again, falsely) was initiated by Clinton and the DNC.

The American ambassador to Ukraine  Marie Yovanovitch, an honest diplomat, was recalled and replaced in the middle of this. This was a conspiracy with villains from a foreign country, not a misunderstood phone call. The conspiracy was jeopardized by the change in administration that brought in Zelenskyy whom Trump tried to buy off by withholding already scheduled American aid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

gimme gimme gimme.  i'm out of free articles.

Spoiler

WASHINGTON — The whistle-blower who revealed that President Trump sought foreign help for his re-election and that the White House sought to cover it up is a C.I.A. officer who was detailed to work at the White House at one point, according to three people familiar with his identity.

The man has since returned to the C.I.A., the people said. Little else is known about him. His complaint made public Thursday suggested he was an analyst by training and made clear he was steeped in details of American foreign policy toward Europe, demonstrating a sophisticated understanding of Ukrainian politics and at least some knowledge of the law.

The whistle-blower’s expertise will likely add to lawmakers’ confidence about the merits of his complaint, and tamp down allegations that he might have misunderstood what he learned about Mr. Trump. He did not listen directly to a July call between Mr. Trump and President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine that is at the center of the political firestorm over the president’s mixing of diplomacy with personal political gain.

A spotlight on the people reshaping our politics. A conversation with voters across the country. And a guiding hand through the endless news cycle, telling you what you really need to know.

Lawyers for the whistle-blower refused to confirm that he worked for the C.I.A. and said that publishing information about him was dangerous.

“Any decision to report any perceived identifying information of the whistle-blower is deeply concerning and reckless, as it can place the individual in harm’s way,” said Andrew Bakaj, his lead counsel. “The whistle-blower has a right to anonymity.”

A C.I.A. spokesman declined to comment. A spokeswoman for the acting director of national intelligence, Joseph Maguire, said that protecting the whistle-blower was his office’s highest priority. “We must protect those who demonstrate the courage to report alleged wrongdoing, whether on the battlefield or in the workplace,” Mr. Maguire said at a hearing on Thursday, adding that he did not know the whistle-blower’s identity.

Dean Baquet, the executive editor of The New York Times, said The Times was right to publish information about the whistle-blower. “The role of the whistle-blower, including his credibility and his place in the government, is essential to understanding one of the most important issues facing the country — whether the president of the United States abused power and whether the White House covered it up.”

Agents, officers and analysts from the military, intelligence and law enforcement communities routinely work at the White House. Often, they work on the National Security Council or help manage secure communications, like calls between the president and foreign leaders.

The C.I.A. officer did not work on the communications team that handles calls with foreign leaders, according to the people familiar with his identity. He learned about Mr. Trump’s conduct “in the course of official interagency business,” according to the complaint, which was dotted with footnotes about machinations in Kiev and reinforced with public comments by senior Ukrainian officials.

Officials regularly shared information to “inform policymaking and analysis,” the complaint said. The complaint raises the prospect that the whistle-blower was not detailed to the White House either during the events in question or when he learned about them.

Mr. Trump took aim at the whistle-blower’s credibility on Thursday, attempting to dismiss his revelations because they were secondhand.

A whistleblower with second hand information? Another Fake News Story! See what was said on the very nice, no pressure, call. Another Witch Hunt!

He also obliquely threatened the whistle-blower or his sources with punishment. “I want to know who’s the person who gave the whistle-blower the information because that’s close to a spy,” Mr. Trump told staff members from the United States Mission to the United Nations before an event there.

“You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart with spies and treason, right?” he added. “We used to handle it a little differently than we do now.”

On the call with Mr. Zelensky, Mr. Trump asked him to investigate unsubstantiated allegations of corruption against former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and his son and other matters he saw as potentially beneficial to him politically.

merlin_161468745_3dcf0523-f760-4ffd-9965
ImagePresident Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine addressing the United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday.
President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine addressing the United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday.CreditBrittainy Newman/The New York Times

Mr. Trump cajoled Mr. Zelensky to coordinate with Attorney General William P. Barr and the president’s personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, according to a reconstituted transcript of the call that the White House released on Wednesday. Mr. Zelensky, who was elected in April, agreed to help Mr. Trump. While Ukrainian prosecutors have moved to pursue an inquiry of an oligarch whose company paid Mr. Biden’s son Hunter, they did not allege wrongdoing by the Bidens.

The call with Mr. Zelensky was originally thought to be a routine matter, the complaint said, and the White House did not restrict it, meaning a number of officials and note takers listened.

But the whistle-blower said that afterward, White House officials “intervened to ‘lock down’ all records of the phone call,” putting them in a highly classified system meant for discussing covert actions. One White House official called that an abuse because the transcript contained no classified material.

Notes and rough transcripts of White House calls are typically stored on a computer system that allows senior officials in different departments and agencies to access them, to better coordinate policy.

Some White House colleagues told the whistle-blower that they were concerned they had witnessed “the president abuse his office for personal gain,” according to the complaint.

His complaint went beyond the call. During his time at the White House, the whistle-blower became deeply unnerved about how he believed Mr. Trump was broadly seeking to pressure the Ukrainian government to conduct investigations that could benefit him politically.

“Namely, he sought to pressure the Ukrainian leader to take actions to help the president’s 2020 re-election bid,” the complaint said of Mr. Trump.

After the call, multiple officials told the whistle-blower that future talks between Mr. Trump and Mr. Zelensky would depend on whether the Ukranians would “play ball” on the investigations he sought.

The whistle-blower, who lodged his concerns with the inspector general for the intelligence community, has identified at least a half-dozen government officials — including several who work for the White House — who he believes can substantiate his claims. The inspector general has interviewed some of them and found the whistle-blower’s claims credible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

JFC.  So the president's private attorney was getting instructions from the State Department.   And they need to get Rudy's phone ASAP.  Yes, to a hearing, but that's secondary.

I can't tell from the WB letter if Volker was working in conjunction with Rudy or against him. My impression was that Volker was communicating separately with Ukraine to distinguish between State Department policy and the president's initiative. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

The American ambassador to Ukraine  Marie Yovanovitch, an honest diplomat, was recalled and replaced in the middle of this.

I would look for her name on any witness list to come. I'd be surprised if she didn't have knowledge of what was going and could explain all the players. I'm guessing Trump recalled and fired her when she got wind of what was going on and clearly didn't want to "play ball."

This could unfold pretty quickly. I agree with whomever above said that Congress should stay in session. This needs to be pursued swiftly.

Again, don't let the narrative be about a "perfect call." It's a conspiracy with many players whom exposed to pressure will likely squeal.

If Trump is pardoned by his successor, that successor needs to be impeached as well. Trump needs to go to jail. Some of you may recall my iron cage on the deck of a ship bound for the N. Atlantic, that almost seems too kind now. Maybe put all of them in an iron cage at the base of the Washington monument for the remainder of their awful lives.

• Like 2

Wow, former CIA dude Bob Baer on CNN with some interesting analysis.  He thinks the whistleblower complaint is too well-written and too full of hard-to-obtain info to be just one guy.  He thinks this is a "palace coup" by people who know some shit and are ready to take Trump down, and that Trump knows it. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Wow, former CIA dude Bob Baer on CNN with some interesting analysis.  He thinks the whistleblower compliant is too well-written and too full of hard-to-obtain info to be just one guy.  He thinks this is a "palace coup" by people who know some shit and are ready to take Trump down, and that Trump knows it. 

This could be THE counterintelligence investigation coming to light.  I'd have to look at the timeline of events again, but Coats and Gordon out, Maguire handed the keys in an acting role without Senate confirmation, then...surprise.  The whole damn thing is ready to roll out in piecemeal fashion with a whole lotta players getting wrapped around the axle in the process as it gets tripped in stepwise fashion.  gird your loins.

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My guess on the whistle blower:  Gina Haspel 

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Wow, former CIA dude Bob Baer on CNN with some interesting analysis.  He thinks the whistleblower compliant is too well-written and too full of hard-to-obtain info to be just one guy.  He thinks this is a "palace coup" by people who know some shit and are ready to take Trump down, and that Trump knows it. 

That was my thought. Not saying that a single CIA/NSA employee isn't generally smart and competent, but the level of detail and organization in the letter makes it seem it was either a person at the top, like Haspel, or a team consisting of people with different expertise.  

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Yes, read it. I usually skip such readings because I'm an impatient, shallow dickhead. This letter from the WB is indeed well-written and compelling.

Trump and his chums want this to be all about the phone call. This letter describes a campaign launched from the White House to use a corrupt prosecutor in Ukraine named Lutsenko to investigate Biden and falsely "prove" that Ukraine rather than Russia was the source of the election interference which (again, falsely) was initiated by Clinton and the DNC.

The American ambassador to Ukraine  Marie Yovanovitch, an honest diplomat, was recalled and replaced in the middle of this. This was a conspiracy with villains from a foreign country, not a misunderstood phone call. The conspiracy was jeopardized by the change in administration that brought in Zelenskyy whom Trump tried to buy off by withholding already scheduled American aid.

Pos rep.  That’s the best summary I’ve seen

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

This could be THE counterintelligence investigation coming to light.  I'd have to look at the timeline of events again, but Coats and Gordon out, Maguire handed the keys in an acting role without Senate confirmation, then...surprise.  The whole damn thing is ready to roll out in piecemeal fashion with a whole lotta players getting wrapped around the axle in the process as it gets tripped in stepwise fashion.  gird your loins.

Yeah.  I mean, if a group of concerned intelligence folks were trying to figure out how to expose Trump's treachery, this is how you would do it, right?   Pick one guy to be the whistleblower and have him compile the info he heard from the others into a single protected whistleblower complaint that has to go to Congress.   The whole second-hand thing is actually kind of weird unless you view it this way, in which case it suddenly makes perfect sense.  The sources are in on the filing.  And that's why Trump is now threatening the sources, too, who wouldn't be doing anything wrong by discussing this info within the office alone. 

Baer said that he's seen whistleblower complaints and that this one looks like nothing he's ever seen before. He said it looks like more like an indictment with input from several people. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ah, now we get a good idea of why those phone call transcripts were selectively leaked. 

It gave them justification for the secret "lockbox". 

no, i think those were leaked by our whistleblower, or someone looking to expose trump as a fraud, and the lockbox was just a clumsy result of that.

i have to think that all his calls with foreign leaders are equally as inept. his presidential library is going to be essentially just word salad.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ah, now we get a good idea of why those phone call transcripts were selectively leaked. 

It gave them justification for the secret "lockbox". 

Nunes specifically cited those MX and AUS leaks this morning.  It's almost like he coordinated a defense with Trump on the cover-up, which would be shocking if that's not exactly what he did.

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Nunes specifically cited those MX and AUS leaks this morning.  It's almost like he coordinated a defense with Trump on the cover-up, which would be shocking if that's not exactly what he did.

Surprised the WH didn't blame the Mexico leak on...well....Mexico.  

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

no, i think those were leaked by our whistleblower, or someone looking to expose trump as a fraud, and the lockbox was just a clumsy result of that.

i have to think that all his calls with foreign leaders are equally as inept. his presidential library is going to be essentially just word salad.

Maybe we can all donate books to his presidential library.  He'll have 20 to life to spend learning to read in it.

6 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

That’s exactly what Nunes was doing. Crying and crying about the leaks to justify hiding all communication