Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, BigNastyHorn said:

How does this help a shitty recruiting class? Guess what, it doesn’t. 

May as well keep a few of these guys before UM comes in and really shakes things up with Covid free agents, transfer portal, and NSD2. Hell, it may be better if fewer kids sign in December.

Edited by DFW Horn

6 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

So what's point of putting out a statement like that if he's going to fire Herman in 30 days? For recruiting? For the health of the program? If that's the case, then why not 2-3 weeks ago, when the football world all knew that Texas was trying to get Meyer? 

If CDC is just doing what he said he was going to do all along, why does he need to issue a statement? What happened that made him feel it was necessary to all of the sudden issue a statement?

Texas couldn't continue to let this twist in the wind. This buys CDC time and allows him to conduct a search discreetly in the event they can't get somebody that you can't convince BMD's to fork over the buyout amount, maybe. It also puts a band-aid on recruiting. Perhaps it's cover so Ohio State can finish out the season before Urban pulls a couple guys off their staff -- if you believe that is still in play.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hundredTT said:

Front page ESPN saying Herman is back. Media is running with this, CDC shouldn't have said shit because is Herman is fired soon, it will look like he went back on his word. 

Good.  Texas in the national media is always good even when thin skinned people are worried about people "laughing at us".   People who say that shite make me laugh.  Grow a pair. This relieves URB and tOSU and that is good for us.  And no it does not look like he went back on his word.  He never said he was coming back to begin with.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Good lord, it’s like Brian Davis didn’t even read the statement before writing this article.

Texas AD: Tom Herman will remain with Longhorns

BRIAN DAVIS AND FUCK KIRK BOWELS | HOOKEM 

Tom Herman is still a Longhorn.

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte announced Saturday that Herman will remain UT’s coach for 2021 after the failed pursuit of Urban Meyer.  "There has been a lot of speculation about the future of our football coach," Del Conte said in a statement. "My policy is to wait until the end of the season before evaluating and commenting on our program and coaches.

"With the close of the regular season, I want to reiterate that Tom Herman is our coach," Del Conte added. 

Del Conte’s decision is likely based on two major factors — Meyer wasn’t leaving Fox’s TV studio and the serious financial ramifications of making any change at all.   One UT source described Meyer as “a whale.” The three-time national championship winner is the biggest free agent on the market today. However, Meyer, 56, told school officials he is not pursuing any coaching jobs because of his health, another UT source told the American-Statesman last week.  With Meyer unattainable, Del Conte’s decision becomes much tougher when looking at the coaching landscape. 

Herman, 45, would be owed $15 million to buyout the remaining three years of his guaranteed contract. Texas would owe another $10 million to change out all the assistants, who also have multi-year, guaranteed deals.  So, Texas is looking at $25 million in buyout money before even starting the search for a new coach. The athletic department is financially self-sufficient and relies on donations, ticket and television revenue. No taxpayer money is used to fund UT athletics.

Then, Del Conte would have to pay millions to another school to buyout any new coach’s contract. For example, Florida’s Dan Mullen has a $12 million buyout, and Oregon’s Mario Cristobal’s buyout is $5.3 million, according to USA Today’s coaching salary database.  The Longhorns, like other schools, have implemented salary reductions and layoffs because of the pandemic. A $30-40 million expenditure for a coach that doesn’t move the needle like Meyer is a hard ask in this financial climate.

“When I look at our football program right now, I see tremendous young men and promising talent,” Del Conte said in his statement. “Our student-athletes are developing, and they play their hearts out. This has been an unprecedented year for all of us, and we’re all disappointed that we didn’t meet our expectations,” he continued. “Like the many fans that follow and support our program, I can’t help but think what could have been in 2020. There’s still more work to be done, but I’m excited to watch our players and program move forward.” 

Del Conte’s not off the hook, though. Keeping Herman will be untenable to some Texas fans.  Herman is 31-18 in four seasons at Texas and has not won any Big 12 championships. The Longhorns have made only one appearance in the title game. That came in 2018 during UT’s 10-4 season that ended with a win over No. 6 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.  But that season has become the exception rather than the norm under Herman. He’s 9-10 against top-25 opponents and 1-4 against rival Oklahoma. That’s not anywhere close to the success UT officials expected when the school hired Herman away from Houston in November 2016.

On the positive side, Herman has compiled four straight winning seasons and a 3-0 bowl record. Prior to Herman’s arrival, the Longhorns had gone through three straight losing seasons.  Del Conte believes stability will ultimately lead to success. Mack Brown won at least nine games his first three seasons at UT from 1998-2000 before the Horns embarked on a decade of success. Charlie Strong never found any traction but a 16-21 record in three years was too much to overcome.

Del Conte was in a similar pickle with men's basketball coach Shaka Smart last March. He opted to keep Smart, and now the Longhorns are ranked 13th nationally in Smart's sixth season with a veteran team with strong Big 12 chances.   Herman righted the ship with a 7-6 mark in 2017. After the 2018 season, Del Conte gave Herman a two-year contract extension that few argued with at the time. The perception was Herman's program was off and running. The 2019 campaign was disappointing but ended with a demolition of No. 11 Utah in the Alamo Bowl. 

Along the way, Herman irritated fans with his on-field behavior. He mocked the Missouri quarterback at the 2017 Texas Bowl and ran onto the field looking ready to fight Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy in 2018. TV cameras caught Herman head-butting defensive end Malcolm Roach before the Baylor game last season. 

UT administrators are still catching grief about what some donors believe is conduct unbecoming of the Texas head coach.  The most striking moment came when Herman was caught giving two middle fingers to a Longhorn Network camera mounted inside the coaching staff’s meeting room — on national signing day. Herman later said he was just telling a story about some Oklahoma fan, but few bought that explanation. 

In 2020, the pandemic forced Texas to cancel spring workouts. Those practices would have been critical with seven new assistant coaches and new defensive scheme. Spring football was canceled nationwide. Still, Texas had high hopes.  This year’s team featured a senior quarterback who is statistically one of the best in Texas history. The locker room features three straight top-10 recruiting classes. And yet, the Horns were 6-3 overall. Texas is now 0-6 the last two seasons against Oklahoma, Iowa State and TCU.  OU and Iowa State have advanced to the Big 12 title game, scheduled for Dec. 19.  

“I think any answer I give you right now going to come across as an excuse,” Herman said the Monday after UT’s loss to Iowa State eliminated the team from title contention. “We'll evaluate the things we did poorly and go back to work to fix those things in the offseason.” 

The offseason came earlier than expected after the regular-season finale at Kansas was canceled because of COVID-19 protocols. Texas had at least nine athletes and 13 staff members test positive, the school announced. An additional 29 people were in quarantine for contract tracing.  As of now, the Longhorns are still planning on going bowling. However, it’s unclear what bowl Texas would land in. Some teams have already opted out of a middle-tier bowls, and some bowls have been outright canceled.

Herman will be guiding the Horns in that game and well into 2021. Early signing day is Wednesday. The Longhorns have a class ranked 17th nationally, according to 247Sports composite rankings. 

The 2022 class must be rebuilt after Southlake's Quinn Ewers, the nation's No. 1-rated quarterback prospect, backed out of his commitment. The uncertainty around Herman was a driving factor in Ewers' decision to flip to Ohio State.

Now, Herman and his staff must get to work. 

Originally Published 43 minutes ago

Updated 34 minutes ago

https://amp.hookem.com/amp/6521741002?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

It's FCB, so who knows. It says Tom Herman will remain Texas HC in 2021, and then CDC blah blah blah 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Tom-Herman-to-remain-head-coach-156626571/

You need to catch up on a few pages señor. The word remain or return has not been mentioned. He’s toast

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think Fox reporter guy said it best. Statement came because NSD is just around the corner and it was a tepid, cryptic and intentionally vague statement. No deferring to UM even though he is right there. Could have pushed the statement at him bc Herman is a part of his “coaching tree.” But nada.

its sooooooo happening!!!!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Also note that with CTJ commenting that Herman may not yet know whether he's being let go, the CDC announcement accomplishes three things.  First, it takes some media pressure off until they make a move.  Second, it gets Tom off his back about discussing his future.  CDC can just tell Tom that he evaluates after the bowl game. Third, it might have a slightly calming impact on recruits for early signing day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It's FCB, so who knows. It says Tom Herman will remain Texas HC in 2021, and then CDC blah blah blah 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Tom-Herman-to-remain-head-coach-156626571/

Read. the. statement. Bohls and all of these idiots going with that headline are making a pretty big leap saying Tom will be back for the 21 season.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Also note that with CTJ commenting that Herman may not yet know whether he's being let go, the CDC announcement accomplishes three things.  First, it takes some media pressure off until they make a move.  Second, it gets Tom off his back about discussing his future.  CDC can just tell Tom that he evaluates after the bowl game. Third, it might have a slightly calming impact on recruits for early signing day.

If CDC's aim was to get the national media to move on - he looks to have accomplished that.  They are reporting that Tom is back and I expect they will find other stories to report on now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, hundredTT said:

Front page ESPN saying Herman is back. Media is running with this, CDC shouldn't have said shit because is Herman is fired soon, it will look like he went back on his word. 

who the fuck cares what the public thinks.  all that matters is righting this ship with the right coach.

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Yeah, I went full regard. I'm calm again lol

It happens. I can relate. I think that’s one of my permanent gears. That’s why posters saying they love me is so funny. This gif is the closest thing to me I can think of. How in the fuck do ya think I broke my collarbone? 

E97B03AD-80C0-4C48-872B-F67E31CC71CF.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Texas is going to be three quarters into next year's season opener with Tom Herman as head coach and some of y'all will still think Urban Meyer will be coaching Texas in 2021.

And I'll be shitting McRibs and Nicole will have become a Nun and living in a Covenant...  FML. 

Just now, ATLLonghorn said:

Either way CDC showed massive incompetence today. Either Herman is definitely coming back and he left it vague in his statement or he isn't safe and he released a statement that does nobody any good. It's stunningly bad.

Simple answer is he’s coming back. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic