Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Maybe we should just set up a speaking tour for Tom then with all the BMD's in each major city.  A little close personal interaction ought to make their blood boil enough to want to write some checks to can his ass.  Just seems to me, given everyone is in agreement that Herman has literally nobody on his side due to being a complete tool (other than Kendra), CDC would be able to scrounge up enough funds to get it done even with a less splashy hire.

14 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

I guess I don't follow the rationale that we might have to retain Herman now because we won't be able to raise the funds to buy out the coaching staff's contracts because of lack of excitement for a new coach not named Meyer limiting some big donors check writing ability.  I mean, if we retain Herman another year, I'd have to think the impact on finances would take an even worse hit, as merchandise sales would suck, ticket sales would slow, donations for the renovations would cease, etc.  Plus it sets  you back at least a year, probably more on the recruiting front which prolongs us sucking and bleeds more money yet.  Yeah, the optics of firing this staff during a pandemic isn't great, but Freaking South Carolina just did it.  It can be done.  And monetarily speaking, I think it makes more sense to fire them than not to when you factor all costs into the equation.   Hell, Nike deal and LHN deal both end in roughly 10 years, and if we don't right the ship sooner than later, suddenly those negotiations and pricing get much tougher as well.  Bottom line, CDC shouldn't use the bottom line as an excuse to hang onto Herman in my opinion.

Yeah. The folks who think that money was for Urban alone... it's a knee-jerk "everything's going to hell" bullshit reaction, and not based in reality. The fact that we were already interviewing Plan B candidates last week should tell you everything you need to know...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

What makes you think we're still not buying him out? Don't be silly.

We’re not.That’s my point. You only buyout a contract like Herman’s if god is on the the other side of the call to take over and willing to finger your asshole. 

We’re stuck with Herman next year because, thanks to Saban and Dabo, there’s a shortage of title winning coaches available. We’re not paying a dime to Herman to hire an unproven entity be use our fanbase is impatient?

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

You're mixing your finances here.  I'm talking about the BMD's money and questioning their willingness to spend it for a TH buyout if UM isn't part of the deal.  You're talking about CDC's finances.  Yeah, he may want to go ahead and go with a plan B for the reasons you state, but whether to pony up the money for a buyout isn't his decision since that wasn't going to be his money.  Conversely, all the negative financial impacts you refer to aren't going to impact the BMD's pockets, so that isn't likely a motivation for them to spend the money for a buyout.

The BMDs' money to ditch Herman was not tied to whether or not we succeeded in getting Urban. Unlike you, they knew Urban was a longshot. They called every bluff he gave us, and eventually Urban had to admit that he didn't want the job for any price. 

Given the above, the following two points of view are pure bitchassery and should be negged, maybe even crowdsourced, as such:

- "oh no, we're stuck with herman forever!"

- "fire CDC"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Currently, every donor I know is fed up with the program. I don't see how you can fire a coach and hire some B talent and expect alumni to travel from Houston and Dallas to attend games. Not only will they not give a dime, half may not waste their day watching. Expect a less than full stadium with lots of holes in the new addition.

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The BMDs' money to ditch Herman was not tied to whether or not we succeeded in getting Urban. Unlike you, they knew Urban was a longshot. They called every bluff he gave us, and eventually Urban had to admit that he didn't want the job for any price. 

Given the above, the following two points of view are pure bitchassery and should be negged, maybe even crowdsourced, as such:

- "oh no, we're stuck with herman forever!"

- "fire CDC"

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but if this were the case, I imagine we would have heard more about plan Bs, especially after Sunday, when all we’ve heard is “we’re going to take a step back and re-evaluate”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Currently, every donor I know is fed up with the program. I don't see how you can fire a coach and hire some B talent and expect alumni to travel from Houston and Dallas to attend games. Not only will they not give a dime, half may not waste their day watching. Expect a less than full stadium with lots of holes in the new addition.

Would the donors you know get excited about the potential for beating OU?  Because Campbell has proven that he can do it with inferior talent.  Herman proved he can't do it with a Senior QB, when OU has it's worst team in god knows how long.  Again, I think this fact in and of itself allows CDC enough leverage to raise funds to kick Herman to the curb at this point.  Keeping him around is the definition of insanity.  I'm all for trying something new and different at this point.  Is our next coach guaranteed to be a great hire.  No, but at least I'm telling you there's a chance.   And 22 is a big time recruiting year.  You have to pull the trigger to get some momentum.  Anyone other than Herman at this point has a better shot at getting some quality players in the door.  And hell, maybe if Campbell is hired, he can bring some LB and TE from Iowa State with him in the one-time transfer window this year.

Just now, JPETERMAN said:

Would the donors you know get excited about the potential for beating OU?  Because Campbell has proven that he can do it with inferior talent.  Herman proved he can't do it with a Senior QB, when OU has it's worst team in god knows how long.  Again, I think this fact in and of itself allows CDC enough leverage to raise funds to kick Herman to the curb at this point.  Keeping him around is the definition of insanity.  I'm all for trying something new and different at this point.  Is our next coach guaranteed to be a great hire.  No, but at least I'm telling you there's a chance.   And 22 is a big time recruiting year.  You have to pull the trigger to get some momentum.  Anyone other than Herman at this point has a better shot at getting some quality players in the door.  And hell, maybe if Campbell is hired, he can bring some LB and TE from Iowa State with him in the one-time transfer window this year.

I'm not sticking up for Herman. He did lose to one of the worst OU teams in recent memory. But he also beat one of the better OU teams in recent memory. In fact was beating the shit out of them til he went full turtle in the 4th. That '18 season fluffed his ego a little to much imo. He knows he plays down to his opponents, admitted it to Joel Klatt. But the fucker refuses to do anything about it...like letting his coordinators do there job. I'm not counting KSU as any sort of revelation. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic