Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

With all that 9.95 stuff and so many reporters throwing out craziness about big money donors throwing millions to can coaches for not standing for the school song and all this info about courting a new coach while the current one is still there it's just a shit show. 

You have either or both of 2 problems. 1) the athletic department is leaking info like a sieve or 2) a bunch of parasitic professional reporters making up or exaggerating stories to leech money off the fan base. Those problems need to be fixed or mitigated as much as possible before your reputation as a coach killer program changes. 

Get Out What GIF by Bounce

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

With all that 9.95 stuff and so many reporters throwing out craziness about big money donors throwing millions to can coaches for not standing for the school song and all this info about courting a new coach while the current one is still there it's just a shit show. 

You have either or both of 2 problems. 1) the athletic department is leaking info like a sieve or 2) a bunch of parasitic professional reporters making up or exaggerating stories to leech money off the fan base. Those problems need to be fixed or mitigated as much as possible before your reputation as a coach killer program changes. 

You think other teams don't have $9.95ers? The program is perceived as dysfunctional because we aren't winning, despite our resources. The reason for this is because Tom Herman is a mediocre coach. Fix that problem, and all the "dysfunction" magically disappears.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

But I've found I thoroughly enjoy watching people I don't know or care about burn their program in a sport I don't care about to the ground like this. It's been entertaining so if y'all want to keep it up and doubling down I'm happy to be entertained some more. 

You’re a wanker, Bob. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I don't see how reporters being idiots is a problem. All football programs at all levels fire coaches. Being fired is part of being a professional football coach. 

And are we really responsible for killing Charlie Strong? He got another job at USF where we paid his salary for them and he ran it into the ground. Herman is looking to walk out of here with millions and millions of dollars. I mean is that what killing people looks like these days? Because I would love to be killed like that in my profession. What are you even talking about man?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TXpride said:

You think other teams don't have $9.95ers? The program is perceived as dysfunctional because we aren't winning, despite our resources. The reason for this is because Tom Herman is a mediocre coach. Fix that problem, and all the "dysfunction" magically disappears.

I know. People act like this has anything to do with anything besides:

1. Winning football games.

2. Putting players into the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't see how reporters being idiots is a problem. All football programs at all levels fire coaches. Being fired is part of being a professional football coach. 

And are we really responsible for killing Charlie Strong? He got another job at USF where we paid his salary for them and he ran it into the ground. Herman is looking to walk out of here with millions and millions of dollars. I mean is that what killing people looks like these days? Because I would love to be killed like that in my profession. What are you even talking about man?

It's the BMDs bro. That's why Tom went for it on 4th down.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

21 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

But I've found I thoroughly enjoy watching people I don't know or care about burn their program in a sport I don't care about to the ground like this. It's been entertaining so if y'all want to keep it up and doubling down I'm happy to be entertained some more. 

16 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Get Out What GIF by Bounce

@Octavian beat me to it but why, pray tell, are you here?

24 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

We are just posters on a message board, how are we burning down a program?

Maybe we should all go post on an Oklahoma board and burn down their program? Finally the path to the Big 12 Championship game is open!

Is that how it works in the EPL? You send hooligans over to post on the Liverpool message board until they get relegated?

Edited by Valmy77

11 minutes ago, TXpride said:

The reason you're not winning despite the resources is because you're dysfunctional. Like jerry jones level bad culture. I mean Ive seen some of the most toxic premier league football craziness has to offer and this beats it. Horrible leaks everywhere and bad actors masquerading as reporters or fans torpedoing the program and neutering the coach. Athletic program executives screwing up what's supposed to be a very private inquiry to replace their coach so badly it's top story on espn. This makes the Messi to ManCity fiasco from the summer look tame

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 24

Just got home after flying back from a weekend in Austin and am catching up on the last several hours.  Reading Caddox's post all I can say is BS.  This doesn't sound like the response of Urban Meyer.  The stress of the negotiations isn't going to shut him down.  Perhaps I'm just way to hopeful, but this sounds like CDC has stressed to all the insiders that we need to give the appearance that for now at least discussions are off with Meyer while we still have another coach under contract.  And I think the magnitude of this potential hire is finally enough to get all the insiders on board and unified.  If we truly reached out to Meyer as much as a month ago and he expressed interest in the job as has been reported, then until we announce Herman is coming back or he's fired and another coach is under contract, I'm betting Urban is still our guy. Perhaps I'm going down with this ship, but I'm riding it to the finish
As much as I'd like to believe this fan fiction, in what world would putting out a statement that Urbs turned down a job he hasnt officially been offered (not to mention our current coach hasnt been fired) seem like a good idea as a smokescreen or anything else? You want silence..until it's time to be unsilent.

4 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

The reason you're not winning despite the resources is because you're dysfunctional. Like jerry jones level bad culture. I mean Ive seen some of the most toxic premier league football craziness has to offer and this beats it. Horrible leaks everywhere and bad actors masquerading as reporters or fans torpedoing the program and neutering the coach. Athletic program executives screwing up what's supposed to be a very private inquiry to replace their coach so badly it's top story on espn. This makes the Messi to ManCity fiasco from the summer look tame

We lost to TCU, OU, and should've lost to Tech before there were any "horrible leaks" regarding Meyer. What are you talking about?

15 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

First everybody has tremendous resources. Even Iowa State can afford golden plated lockers these days. Our resources are not decisive and they are not for anybody else either. Until we can just literally buy players without a salary cap there is only so much you can do.

What neutered our coach was failing to get into the Big 12 Championship game two years in a row and failing at recruiting. And it not working out is no sin. Plenty of coaches don't find success in every job. Everything else about "culture" and all that is fluff. 

As far as irresponsible media and passionate rabid fans saying stupid shit on social media and message boards, well that is every damn program in the country that has any fans. And what are we supposed to do? Go find fat Ketch and ask him to do his job better?

In fact what exactly are you asking us to do?

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The wanker is an asshole but he's right about this. The calamity of errors and fuckups here looks terrible. 

This is better than firing a coach mid season, conducting a public search, getting turned down publicly, and then proceeding to chase after plan Bs and securing them raises while ending up with some other dipshit who doesn't have what it takes to run a program like Texas. Charlie Strong was a fuckup. Getting turned down by Cumbie and then begging Sterlin Gilbert to take a job in the middle of the night in his driveway is a bad look. Shooting your shot in private and allegedly getting turned down looks wonderful in comparison.

Herman staying is a non-starter. 2021 recruiting is already wrecked. And 2022 will be worse if he's retained.

Also this vaunted new free agency rule.  Sonwith recruiting. Same with this.

And something else i haven't seen spoken about. We are gonna need a new o-line coach. And really a WR coach also.  One who can teach how to get off press coverage. 

Who are we gonna get of the caliber that we need with a coach that is a walking dead man?

29 minutes ago, Loather said:

Hey Mate, let me get this straight. You are a 30 something, British expatriate living here in Texas. You feel comfortable coming on this site and lecturing all of us fine folks on how the Texas fan base is dysfunctional and responsible for all the problems with our school's football program. Well, how fortunate for us that you have made the odd decision to take an interest in our team. And you are going the extra mile by taking the time to come here and offer up your well considered views. You're neat Bob.

I must commend you for your smugness, I mean confidence. You showed no hesitation weighing in with your opinion on the school song controversy over whether the players should be required to stand with the team and participate. This is an issue with complex racial sensitivities, mostly unique to America's history, and one that serious people on both sides are struggling to find a balanced position on. A more tentative man might have deferred to others with a deeper understanding of the topic. Bravo.

You know Americans, and especially American men are used to being lectured about our ignorance on different issues. From what I understand we don't have any knowledge or curiosity about other cultures. We are frequently reminded that we are a bunch of loud obnoxious boors that don't respect local customs. So, in that spirit, let me ask you, how do you imagine it would go over for a 30 something American to sit down in a British pub and commence explaining to a group of guys, many much older than himself, the proper way for them to support their favorite Premier League team. How they are fucking the whole thing up, and have brought failure and humiliation upon themselves? I know what I would do to that young man. He might get a Glasgow Kiss.

Your opinions are received here with the equal enthusiasm. Your points have not been especially inciteful. In fact, your very presence on this site is gratuitous, I really don't get the point. So, piss off now and go watch some "football" I doubt you have missed anything exciting while you were here. Maybe come back in ten years. No, scratch that, just piss off

5 in tha moan

It's not the fans that have created or sustained the "culture" that's the problem here. But there is a problem with our culture, going back to the political dick-swinging at the end of DKR's time here, extending through Fred Akers (RIP) demise where you had influential alumni trying to steer recruits away from UT to hasten Akers' firing, continuing through the retarded thinking that David McWilliams had shown anything that made him qualified through the job, and culminating in the mantra of "it's not good for the kids to win too much" which is where we're stuck now.

I don't know how or why we got into this mode of wanting above all else to be a Central Texas Stanford knockoff, but our culture lacks the kind of cut-throat win-first football primacy that Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and a few of the wanna-be hangers-on (LSU and Georgia, to name two) have. I don't know if Urban Meyer will be the coach here or not (it seems not), but if not, it wouldn't surprise me if a key reason was his read of "the room". He probably saw right through the salary offer and the mealy-mouthed platitudes about football being "king" here and realized this is an athletic department that intrinsically creates a selfish, soft football culture, because revenue and brand and glad-handing from ESPN and influence/access for BMDs are all more important than wins. 

Meyer will try to create his own culture wherever he goes but that's easier in some locations than others, and he has limited time to accomplish it at his age. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Loather said:

Hey Mate, let me get this straight. You are a 30 something, British expatriate living here in Texas. You feel comfortable coming on this site and lecturing all of us fine folks on how the Texas fan base is dysfunctional and responsible for all the problems with our school's football program. Well, how fortunate for us that you have made the odd decision to take an interest in our team. And you are going the extra mile by taking the time to come here and offer up your well considered views. You're neat Bob.

I must commend you for your smugness, I mean confidence. You showed no hesitation weighing in with your opinion on the school song controversy over whether the players should be required to stand with the team and participate. This is an issue with complex racial sensitivities, mostly unique to America's history, and one that serious people on both sides are struggling to find a balanced position on. A more tentative man might have deferred to others with a deeper understanding of the topic. Bravo.

You know Americans, and especially American men are used to being lectured about our ignorance on different issues. From what I understand we don't have any knowledge or curiosity about other cultures. We are frequently reminded that we are a bunch of loud obnoxious boors that don't respect local customs. So, in that spirit, let me ask you, how do you imagine it would go over for a 30 something American to sit down in a British pub and commence explaining to a group of guys, many much older than himself, the proper way for them to support their favorite Premier League team. How they are fucking the whole thing up, and have brought failure and humiliation upon themselves? I know what I would do to that young man. He might get a Glasgow Kiss.

Your opinions are received here with the equal enthusiasm. Your points have not been especially inciteful. In fact, your very presence on this site is gratuitous, I really don't get the point. So, piss off now and go watch some "football" I doubt you have missed anything exciting while you were here. Maybe come back in ten years. No, scratch that, just piss off

Mic drop

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

It's not the fans that have created or sustained the "culture" that's the problem here. But there is a problem with our culture, going back to the political dick-swinging at the end of DKR's time here, extending through Fred Akers (RIP) demise where you had influential alumni trying to steer recruits away from UT to hasten Akers' firing, continuing through the retarded thinking that David McWilliams had shown anything that made him qualified through the job, and culminating in the mantra of "it's not good for the kids to win too much" which is where we're stuck now.

I don't know how or why we got into this mode of wanting above all else to be a Central Texas Stanford knockoff, but our culture lacks the kind of cut-throat win-first football primacy that Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and a few of the wanna-be hangers-on (LSU and Georgia, to name two) have. I don't know if Urban Meyer will be the coach here or not (it seems not), but if not, it wouldn't surprise me if a key reason was his read of "the room". He probably saw right through the salary offer and the mealy-mouthed platitudes about football being "king" here and realized this is an athletic department that intrinsically creates a selfish, soft football culture, because revenue and brand and glad-handing from ESPN and influence/access for BMDs are all more important than wins. 

Meyer will try to create his own culture wherever he goes but that's easier in some locations than others, and he has limited time to accomplish it at his age. 

Insightful and accurate post.  

Dodds tried to wrest control of the AD from the BMD via the Longhorn Foundation.  A good start, but not enough, and I think he ultimately gave up and controlled what he could (media contracts, branding, conference dealings).  This also left an opening for Lopiano, Conradt, and Plonsky to do some good things and some bad ones with women's sports.

So I think that's how we became Stanford with fewer sports.

We need their money and it's nice to have, but the BMD have proven time and again that they suck at picking coaches, and may even create an environment where the wise coach fears to tread.

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

What neutered our coach was failing to get into the Big 12 Championship game two years in a row and failing at recruiting. And it not working out is no sin. Plenty of coaches don't find success in every job. Everything else about "culture" and all that is fluff.

He neutered himself by hiring his buddies as assistants rather than bringing in the best we could afford. This includes rape enabler Casey Horny. He put himself above the program and bought into his own press clippings, starting with that DCTF cover showing him going John Nash on the glass chalkboard. Then he got embarrassed by Maryland. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Does this new guy not know Urban has said no according to 247? 

In all fairness, he never said anything about Urban and Venables coming to Austin to stay or to coach football. Maybe they are just coming down for a weekend trip to do done Christmas shopping. 

Or maybe Venables is coming down to help Shelly look at homes. 

His sons are staying in SC because neither of them share Brent’s flair for interior design. 

/pay me my $9.95. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Loather said:

I mean, this is some butthurt shit. Just call him a twat and be done. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic