Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

USC is 4-0 this season.  If they weren't going to fire Helton last year, they are not firing him this year.  Plus, plenty people have posted screen caps of the USC administration not wanting to touch Meyer with a 10 foot poll.

I'll say this much, if Meyer wants to build on his legacy, taking the USC job is way more attractive because he legit has no programs to compete with.  Oregon is the only school even remotely competitive and he will shut them out of California with recruits the minute he steps foot on campus.  Here, he will have to compete with Bama, ou, tOSU, LSU, aggy for recruits and having to play Riley every year is going to be a hurdle in winning the Big 12.  

Regardless, USC is not going to have a job opening this year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

My original scenario is still playing out. Urban and Del Conte met and agreed months ago to an understanding that #MensaTom was done if he failed to win the XII CC. It was painfully obvious to all, following the TCU/0U debacles that it wasn't going to happen, but the next several games made it possible, even if extremely doubtful. Losing to ISU while 0U continued to win ended the chance, and the serious talks escalated.

We are on Urban's timeline now. Urban appears to have targeted some assistants at schools who are still in play for the Final Four, and he's not going to disrupt their seasons until they're finished. Period.

We'll see early signing come and go, and we won't be pleased with our results. Urban has seen the team he's going to be inheriting, and he understands the weird transfer rules. He's not worried.

When tOSU is done (and now apparently Clemson as well) announcements will be forthcoming and there will be joy unconfined among our ranks.

This is absolutely fantastical thinking. *HOWEVER* where's all the smoke about meetings with other coaches, etc., that you'd expect to see now that Urbs is "done"? It give weight to the theory, however unlikely.

35 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The dudes on Columbus sports radio (Carpenter, Schlegel and the host) discussed Meyer "turning down" Texas this morning and were very rational.  Carpenter basically said that Urban apparently turned down the job for now but nothing would surprise him going forward.  Schlegel said Urban would want to secure his support staff (Italian mafia) before he goes anywhere and isn't going to disrupt Ohio State's season and current recruiting in doing so.  They also had a good laugh regarding what the support staff actually does (not too hard to read between the lines re: bagmen and practicing/training without coaches).

They all acknowledged that Texas is a huge part of Ohio State's current recruiting plan and that makes it harder for Urban to take the job as it would disrupt a lot of work Ohio State has put in down there as opposed to USC where Ohio State isn't very active.

That is a huge amount of hedging from a group that has no reason at all to not want this to be done.

and like THUJONE just said above...if Urbs was over and done with there would be all kinds of rats....excuse me 9.95ers in the rumor mill reporting on where we go from here.  It's new subscription season after all.

48 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I know we have been fucking up coaching searches and hires for a decade now. If this one is dead which appears to be so on FCB's weak story but it probably is then another example. The coaching searches are handled totally wrong and most of it is due to leaks. We can't conduct anything in secret.  Someone has to leak something.  If no one knew we were meeting with UM that would've been ideal. Just like the Saban deal. Complicates it too much. Now Herman is chucked due to it and we have no option but to fire him and hire plan B because this was mishandled. 

I agree we've been fucking up coaching hires for a long time ... but we don't know this one was even happening or was far along in a formal sense, or that it's over, much less that anyone fucked it up.

46 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

My original scenario is still playing out. Urban and Del Conte met and agreed months ago to an understanding that #MensaTom was done if he failed to win the XII CC. It was painfully obvious to all, following the TCU/0U debacles that it wasn't going to happen, but the next several games made it possible, even if extremely doubtful. Losing to ISU while 0U continued to win ended the chance, and the serious talks escalated.

We are on Urban's timeline now. Urban appears to have targeted some assistants at schools who are still in play for the Final Four, and he's not going to disrupt their seasons until they're finished. Period.

We'll see early signing come and go, and we won't be pleased with our results. Urban has seen the team he's going to be inheriting, and he understands the weird transfer rules. He's not worried.

When tOSU is done (and now apparently Clemson as well) announcements will be forthcoming and there will be joy unconfined among our ranks.

So under this scenario Herman is kept around as an unofficial lame duck after the Kansas game, through NSD1, waits until the playoffs are finished, and then Urban takes the job in mid-January?

3 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

This is absolutely fantastical thinking. *HOWEVER* where's all the smoke about meetings with other coaches, etc., that you'd expect to see now that Urbs is "done"? It give weight to the theory, however unlikely.

This exactly.  I'm having a very hard time believing that Urban is out of the question given the zero reports of meetings with other coaches to replace Herman.  It seems like CDC is  Urban Meyer or bust too.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Two weeks ago you predicted a 20 point victory over ISU. After the loss you demanded Herman be fired or else you were “done” with Texas football.  Now you’re having a meltdown and lecturing the board about overestimations because a pipe dream didn’t come true. In multiple threads. 

It’s not “we.” It’s YOU and your vapid, blustering retardery.

In fairness to Beeper, he is a fucking moron. I’m sure he’s an inspiration to other slow adults out there 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The dudes on Columbus sports radio (Carpenter, Schlegel and the host) discussed Meyer "turning down" Texas this morning and were very rational.  Carpenter basically said that Urban apparently turned down the job for now but nothing would surprise him going forward.  Schlegel said Urban would want to secure his support staff (Italian mafia) before he goes anywhere and isn't going to disrupt Ohio State's season and current recruiting in doing so.  They also had a good laugh regarding what the support staff actually does (not too hard to read between the lines re: bagmen and practicing/training without coaches).

They all acknowledged that Texas is a huge part of Ohio State's current recruiting plan and that makes it harder for Urban to take the job as it would disrupt a lot of work Ohio State has put in down there as opposed to USC where Ohio State isn't very active.

Y'all should pay more attention to things like this^

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Fuck it. I choose to believe this. Following this board over the last few weeks is the most fun I've had as a Texas football fan in awhile, so I might as well keep the fun alive while I can. Let's fuckin ride

The only thing missing from your post is signed, John Holmes.....

Edited by Horn80

18 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Any way to get Urban's OSU contract for his current position? Thinking that they agreed to keep him on as assistant AD and professor but had heavy restrictions on how we could go about taking another job i.e. timing and staff limitations.  Would help explain why we went from a done deal to no deal in less than 12 hours.

lulz. There is 0 chance Meyer agreed to any employment restrictions in his deal with tOSU to get paid 100k per year for some fake position they just made up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

+ rep when I get some more. I think it was probably you that I referred to yesterday, saying that you had predicted what we're seeing now way back a week or so ago.

14 minutes ago, senorfussybutt said:

So, we still know basically shit.

What we actually know:

• Team cancels practice after blowout win
  • Team going into COVID protocols
  • Herman cancelling a remote presser with COVID as excuse (this one is the biggest "something's up" to me; he held remote pressers all year. Makes me suspect he was gagged by CDC.)
  • Herman is an average to slightly above average coach but not elite, who is an arrogant jerk so he gets none of the grace Charlie got
  • Herman's recruiting class fell apart after the OU loss (as anyone with half a brain could see that a lot of that one was on poor coaching decisions)
  • CDC has to do something to salvage recruiting even if it means not getting your number 1 guy as setting back the program 2-6 years on recruiting is worse than Herman and staff's buyouts
  • The Fox Saturday team ribbed Meyer repeatedly about taking a coaching job and Meye was preoccupied with his answers
  • Meyer praises Sam as a warrior and a leader and repeats that
  • There is no journalistic integrity and major newspapers will report un-sourced trash like a gossiping southern church lady

Other than that, we don't know shit. We have a Chip Brown report that Meyer is leaning no. We have all sorts of bullshit speculation from 9.95ers.  And NONE OF IT MATTERS.

Herman's not getting canned until after the regular season if he didn't get canned after ISU. So we must wait until KU is cancelled or after KU plays.

If Meyer was ever in play (which we don't actually know and to what extent he is/was/ever was etc..), he's still equally in play. It's always a longshot.  However, there's also a decent chance we don't get Meyer, or we get a less than slam dunk hire like Campbell or Franklin. And there's still the chance that if no other coach wants to come, we're stuck with Turtle Tom.

So, until there's a formal press release or actual statement from CDC/Belmont, we still don't know shit, should smoke some meat and drink some whisk(e)y, and hope CDC doesn't fuck this up.

And that's fair.

14 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

Did you miss all the Kubiak-mentum yesterday?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, victory88 said:

And if Meyer is going to take this job, he needs to lose any affinity to tOSU.  We're not hiring a guy to help another program continue their streak of cherry picking elite talent from our backyard.  If he's going to turn us down, fine.  If he decides to accept this job, he needs to be fully invested in this program just like we would be fully invested in him and his demands.

No shit. If Meyer comes here I guess we better hope we never face OSU in the playoffs. Based on all the stupid shit being posted it sounds like he would either throw the game or forfeit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It looks like it's playing out exactly as conveyed regarding Herman being gone. As I've stated repeatedly and consistently to this board, I've asked time and again and no one seems to think or believe that Herman is staying. He's a dead man walking. 

Regarding Campbell, yes, I believe there are folks that really like him and that he's a real candidate. Any talk of him not taking the job is laughable. Let's see what Campbell does if he's offered 5 years at $5.5million with ratchets and also total control and a commitment for facilities upgrades. 

"But closetojumping, Matt Campbell has no Texas ties!" - neither did Matt Rhule. Nick Saban coached as a DB coach for the Oilers, so I'm sure he really figured out Texas and the south in that period, but then he coached at Toledo, the Browns, and Michigan State. He didn't know shit about recruiting in Louisiana or this area. Somehow, a coach that can identify talent and develop it was able to find enough guys to win a national title after arriving from the north, nonetheless. 

The only legitimate whines about Campbell are a) he's not Urban Meyer and b) he's never been around a major program and all that that entails. The rest is handwringing silliness. 

Yep. People like to bring up Iowa, but I'm more concerned with his record against teams in the B12 that have dad dicked us. The last 4 years, Campbell is 2-2 against OUsucks and 3-1 against TCU with the 50th average recruiting class during that time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Night shift has arrived early today. 

16 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

So under this scenario Herman is kept around as an unofficial lame duck after the Kansas game, through NSD1, waits until the playoffs are finished, and then Urban takes the job in mid-January?

This scenario has only one #MenssaTom issue, which is: he's fired. 

I came to the conclusions back at the time that fucking moron failed completely at the end-game management of the TCU/0U. Nothing that has happened since then is outside the script of the scenario. Talking heads and fat walleteers are equally in the dark as to the backstage goings-on.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

If Urban is really trying to make nice with OSU, I don't necessarily think this has to drag out until after the playoffs.  It just has to be delayed until after NSD1.  It sounds like most of their recruits will sign Dec 16th, and I could see not wanting to not stir up crap with their recruits wondering if their position coaches would be headed to Texas next season right before signing day.  But waiting until Feb doesn't make sense.  He'd miss out on trying to rally for some last minute 2021 signings for NSD2, delay prep-work needed for the freebie one time transfer portal rule, and also miss time building relationships on the stacked 2022 class.  If all this noise is really a smokescreen and Urban is really planning on coming (Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath), I think he is in place by end of year and we know shortly after Dec 16th that the narrative has changed and the wheels are in motion.  Likewise, Big12 championship game is 19th.  If Campbell is the target, then timing is roughly the same.  

Edited by JPETERMAN
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Y'all should pay more attention to things like this^

I wish I had more good information on the Urban front but my Buckeye contacts don't appear to know shit about Urban's plans.  That said, if I had a dollar for every buckeye who has told me in the last couple weeks some variation of "Texas has too many cooks in the kitchen for Urban" . . . 

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I Want To Believe Again GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

All of the it’s still possible scenarios are well absolutely still possible. Big swinging dick energy doesn’t hang on every single piece of obscure circumstantial evidence.  995 crowd says he’s out on flimsy reporting. Texas has done nothing this week.  That’s all we know.  I’m just going to wait it out. I’ll either Love the result or master fly fishing on Saturday’s next fall.  I win either way. That’s BSD energy for you fellas.  Sad you gotta learn that from me. Ha.

• Like 1

I don't see how we could keep Tom at this point. He has pretty clearly lost the confidence of recruits, alumni, admin, etc.                                                                                                                                                  So, where to from here. For me, I'm hoping we have worn out the "up and comer" path with Charlie and Tom. Yes, that path CAN work but the coach has to be exceptionally savvy and choose his staff wisely. Something our hires have shown very clearly they didn't grasp.                                                                           I would like to see us get someone who has proven they can win at multiple stops, some of them large programs. I suppose there are others but Sark , and Freeze jump out at me. Sarks problems scare me a lot more than Freeze's. At this point I would be behind a Freeze hire.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, alincoln said:

I wish I had more good information on the Urban front but my Buckeye contacts don't appear to know shit about Urban's plans.  That said, if I had a dollar for every buckeye who has told me in the last couple weeks some variation of "Texas has too many cooks in the kitchen for Urban" . . . 

Theyre just regurgitating Herbie slime. They don't know anything. They're aggy. 

Why not have CUM bring both Venables AND also Dabo to run the offense? And if they can’t get along, have CUM slap them upside the head like they were his sons
Unlike the shit above, this is good fanfic

Anything really new today? Dont have time to go through all this shit i missed this morning.

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I don't see how we could keep Tom at this point. He has pretty clearly lost the confidence of recruits, alumni, admin, etc.                                                                                                                                                  So, where to from here. For me, I'm hoping we have worn out the "up and comer" path with Charlie and Tom. Yes, that path CAN work but the coach has to be exceptionally savvy and choose his staff wisely. Something our hires have shown very clearly they didn't grasp.                                                                           I would like to see us get someone who has proven they can win at multiple stops, some of them large programs. I suppose there are others but Sark , and Freeze jump out at me. Sarks problems scare me a lot more than Freeze's. At this point I would be behind a Freeze hire.

Who's proven they can win at multiple stops?

• Fuck You 2

@closetojumping You said you heard that Campbell was interested in us, but CDC bought in TH after the Tech game (LOL)..  I felt if that was true Campbell would be petty about that..like I said I was interested and you doubled down on that idiot because of Tech?!? Is that me thinking with my petty mindset or could this be a real thing if UT circles him once again?

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Just think where those numbers would be if we had decent (instead of marginal) coaching for the last 2 decades.

Yeah, I remember during the midst of the Mack Brown era, when 10 win seasons were a floor, there was speculation that we would overtake Michigan for most all time wins by the end of the decade.

Why wouldn't UM have publicly  thanked UT for considering him and said that he isn't interested in coaching again at this time, etc.? Is it because he shouldn't be, and officially has not been, offered a job that still belongs to someone else? I tend to think that if the negotiations actually happened, and I think they did, UM would want to stop any further discussion or speculation about it.  Or, maybe it is just not "proper" for him to have been considering it when TH is still in the job. It just seems odd that no one, from either side, has said anything publicly. I'm not drawing any conclusions, but it just seems strange no one has stabbed a fork in it.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic