2020 astros offseason

elfenix

8 hours ago, Scraps said:

I would still be hanging onto that if the damn easy Orioles reliever trade had happened, but that didn't even go down yet so this source looks to be a dildo at the moment.  

I mean I am not fully shutting the door on this, but wtf.  

It wasn’t bullshit I promise you. The reliever actually turned out to be part of the Castillo trade as well which is why it hasn’t happened. My source hasn’t said a peep about the deal but keeps saying it’s not dead, he thinks the legal stuff in the DR might be more serious than originally thought which could be the hold up. There was a shit ton of smoke out there about it as well, Rosenthal had an article that basically laid EVERYTHING out, down to the Redduck salary dump even. Just have to have our fingers crossed that it actually happens, I’ll let you know if I hear anything else

• Like 1

The Rosenthal article 

The defending American League champion Astros, facing mounting challenges with their payroll, almost certainly will not keep all of their stars long-term.

Among the ideas they have entertained in an attempt to alleviate their payroll crunch, according to major-league sources: A trade of shortstop Carlos Correa, the player they selected with the top pick of the 2012 draft.

No deal appears close, and the timing might not be right for such a move, considering that most teams are set at shortstop and Correa’s trade value is down. But at some point, the Astros will need to make difficult decisions, and Correa might be the odd man out.

A trade of Correa might help the Astros address their pitching shortage at a time when they want to sign center fielder George Springer to a long-term deal, sources said.

The Astros’ projected payroll for 2020 stands at $213.7 million, according to rosterresource.com. Their projected luxury-tax payroll stands at $231 million, a number that would put them over the second threshold at $228 million. And they still need to add a starting catcher and multiple pitchers in their rotation and bullpen.

The payroll crunch already has prevented the Astros from attempting to retain right-hander Gerrit Cole, the prize of this year’s free-agent market. Catcher Robinson Chirinos and relievers Will Harris and Joe Smith — all significant contributors to the 2019 club that came within one game of winning the World Series — are among the team’s other free agents.

Trading Correa would not save the Astros much money short-term, unless they also required a team to take a more expensive player — say, right fielder Josh Reddick — in the deal. But such a choice effectively would signal that the Astros prefer Springer as a long-term target and third baseman Alex Bregman as their long-term shortstop. Bregman played short last season when Correa was out with a fractured rib he said he suffered while receiving a massage at home.

Correa, who is under club control for two more years, is projected to make $7.4 million in his second year of arbitration, according to MLBTradeRumors.com. His number is relatively low because he has averaged only 98 games the past three seasons due to injuries, and posted a career-worst .728 OPS the year he entered the process.

Reddick will earn $13 million in the final year of his contract before becoming a free agent. Springer ($20.4 million projection in arbitration), first baseman Yuli Gurriel (signed for $8.3 million) and left fielder Michael Brantley ($16 million) also are eligible for free agency after the 2020 season.

Astros owner Jim Crane said in early October he would “prefer not to” exceed the lowest threshold at $208 million. The Astros, as a first-time payor, would incur a 20 percent penalty for every dollar they spent over $208 million, an additional 12 percent for every dollar they spent between $228 million and $248 million.

The Astros’ multi-year commitments include second baseman José Altuve ($130 million from 2020 to ’24); Bregman ($90 million from 2020 to ’24), right-hander Justin Verlander ($66 million in 2020-’21) and right-hander Zack Greinke ($43.4 million in 2020-’21, with the Diamondbacks paying the other $20.6 million).

The Astros might still be unable to keep Springer, especially when he is only one year away from hitting the open market at a time when elite free agents are again earning monster dollars. Either way, Correa might not be long for Houston. Perhaps the only remaining questions are when and how he and the team will part ways.

Yea our owner isn’t a yankee or Red Sox or one with super deep pockets. I knew this would eventually happen and is the reason I’ve always been about going all in when we have this deep roster. Pinching pennies as others spend money will keep us from winning the WS and make us always worry about to tax and the future instead of focusing on right now and winning. 

12 hours ago, RGBIII said:

It wasn’t bullshit I promise you. The reliever actually turned out to be part of the Castillo trade as well which is why it hasn’t happened. My source hasn’t said a peep about the deal but keeps saying it’s not dead, he thinks the legal stuff in the DR might be more serious than originally thought which could be the hold up. There was a shit ton of smoke out there about it as well, Rosenthal had an article that basically laid EVERYTHING out, down to the Redduck salary dump even. Just have to have our fingers crossed that it actually happens, I’ll let you know if I hear anything else

ok ok ...i still believe you

for now lol.  

16 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea our owner isn’t a yankee or Red Sox or one with super deep pockets. I knew this would eventually happen and is the reason I’ve always been about going all in when we have this deep roster. Pinching pennies as others spend money will keep us from winning the WS and make us always worry about to tax and the future instead of focusing on right now and winning. 

No one goes over the tax.  Even the Yankees went under the luxury tax in 2018 and didn't try to sign Harper or Machado before getting Cole this year.  The Red Sox are supposedly considering trading Betts because they don't want to pay to lock him up long term.  I don't think even the Yankees would pay to keep Altuve, Springer, Correa, and Bregman beyond their arb years while also paying $30 million+ to two different veteran starters.

The next few years will be interesting.  The 2015-2020 window has been built on cheap controllable years for position players and trading for starters for the most part.  A lot of the key pieces were inherited from the previous regime - Altuve, Springer, Keuchel.  I'm somewhat concerned about whether the next wave of cheap players will materialize, especially at starting pitcher.  McCullers looked good until getting hurt.  Whitley really needs to work out.

13 hours ago, WBT said:

No one goes over the tax.  Even the Yankees went under the luxury tax in 2018 and didn't try to sign Harper or Machado before getting Cole this year.  The Red Sox are supposedly considering trading Betts because they don't want to pay to lock him up long term.  I don't think even the Yankees would pay to keep Altuve, Springer, Correa, and Bregman beyond their arb years while also paying $30 million+ to two different veteran starters.

The next few years will be interesting.  The 2015-2020 window has been built on cheap controllable years for position players and trading for starters for the most part.  A lot of the key pieces were inherited from the previous regime - Altuve, Springer, Keuchel.  I'm somewhat concerned about whether the next wave of cheap players will materialize, especially at starting pitcher.  McCullers looked good until getting hurt.  Whitley really needs to work out.

The Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox all went over the luxury tax threshold in 2019.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:51 PM, WBT said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/207455/year-by-year-luxury-tax-payments-in-major-league-baseball/

Well since jack shit is going on I will post upcoming signings/shows for any other memorabilia dorks

GTSM is a clusterfuck typically but it is this weekend at Bayou Event Center. Yordans first public show. Springer/Altuve/Bregman/Correa/Pressly/Musgrove/Josh James/Tucker/Whitley will all be there. Big guns kinda pricey. They have show specials for Cole/Brantley/Marwin/Yuli auto 8x10s...they will not be in attendance.

http://www.gtsportsmarketing.com/index.php/200103_houston/

Jan 24-26th Fiterman Sports is doing a show in Pasadena. Weird array of people, but Stros related is Nolan Ryan on 26th.

https://www.fitermansports.com/autograph-guests.html

Feb 7-9 is Tristar at NRG compound. McCullers, Urquidy, Yuli, Abreu will be there so far.

https://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html#Houston

• Like 2

I will also be there Sunday to get Yordan.  
The fact that Ricky's price is the same as Ryan fucking Pressly (and VY only $10 more than Pressly) is very sad....but good for Texas fans
Thats crazy. Have a VY football helmet autograph. We got Ricky last year on a helmet and baseball. Yordans signature is crazy looking. Still need more Astros autographs on our sunshine kids logo but refuse to pay for a item we are donating to charity

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

Well since jack shit is going on I will post upcoming signings/shows for any other memorabilia dorks

GTSM is a clusterfuck typically but it is this weekend at Bayou Event Center. Yordans first public show. Springer/Altuve/Bregman/Correa/Pressly/Musgrove/Josh James/Tucker/Whitley will all be there. Big guns kinda pricey. They have show specials for Cole/Brantley/Marwin/Yuli auto 8x10s...they will not be in attendance.

http://www.gtsportsmarketing.com/index.php/200103_houston/

Jan 24-26th Fiterman Sports is doing a show in Pasadena. Weird array of people, but Stros related is Nolan Ryan on 26th.

https://www.fitermansports.com/autograph-guests.html

Feb 7-9 is Tristar at NRG compound. McCullers, Urquidy, Yuli, Abreu will be there so far.

https://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html#Houston

let me know if castillo shows up.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

i assume we were in the 2-$12 range.  possibly some sort of 3rd year option.  relievers, especially non-closers, vary so greatly from year to year, there's just no reason to invest in one for 3 years when we're pinching pennies other places.  especially when the dude is 35.

we have a dept in the front office that's in charge of value assessment, and their calculations are crucial for contract offers.  i have to think once they spit out a number, that takes a lot of the emotion out of it, and we probably told will or his agent roughly what that assessment was.  i doubt there's much wiggle room when you treat the process like that.

i wish him well.

i assume we were in the 2-$12 range.  possibly some sort of 3rd year option.  relievers, especially non-closers, vary so greatly from year to year, there's just no reason to invest in one for 3 years when we're pinching pennies other places.  especially when the dude is 35.

we have a dept in the front office that's in charge of value assessment, and their calculations are crucial for contract offers.  i have to think once they spit out a number, that takes a lot of the emotion out of it, and we probably told will or his agent roughly what that assessment was.  i doubt there's much wiggle room when you treat the process like that.

i wish him well.

All of this....or a long way to say “not this again” (and he was only 32 when this was signed):

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/14345472/tony-sipp-finalizes-three-year-contract-houston-astros

• Like 1