Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Sometime this fall I changed my streaming TV provider from YTTV to Fubo so that my son and I can watch the Astros (suck it haters).  For the most part, I've been happy with it.  Well, yesterday I wanted to stream the Astros game while at work.  The ALDS is on TBS, which is not carried by Fubo.  So I can't watch the Astros without Fubo in the regular season, and can't watch them with Fubo in the playoffs.  

Looks like I'm dropping Fubo today.  I guess I'll fire it back up next summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe "trivial" because it didn't affect the ultimate arrival of the flight, but this woman was throwing up all throughout my flight from Hobby to Denver.

Like, I was A33 and she was already on the plane and throwing up in the barf bags when I boarded.  And she continued to barf.   And she stayed on the plane and barfed the entire time - back and forth from the bathroom, laying across a row of seats, FAs on the headsets with the ground/medical to have paramedics meet us at DIA.

Surly because I hate the sound of vomiting and I was in Row 10 and she was occupying the forward lavatory the whole time.  SW should have deplaned her before we took off.  Talk about a public health issue. 

• Rage+1 2

On 10/12/2022 at 12:14 PM, nnm said:

Sometime this fall I changed my streaming TV provider from YTTV to Fubo so that my son and I can watch the Astros (suck it haters).  For the most part, I've been happy with it.  Well, yesterday I wanted to stream the Astros game while at work.  The ALDS is on TBS, which is not carried by Fubo.  So I can't watch the Astros without Fubo in the regular season, and can't watch them with Fubo in the playoffs.  

Looks like I'm dropping Fubo today.  I guess I'll fire it back up next summer.

The fact that I (used to) get the mlb pass and I can't stream the Rangers or Astros at home... Fuck MLB. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Maybe "trivial" because it didn't affect the ultimate arrival of the flight, but this woman was throwing up all throughout my flight from Hobby to Denver.

Like, I was A33 and she was already on the plane and throwing up in the barf bags when I boarded.  And she continued to barf.   And she stayed on the plane and barfed the entire time - back and forth from the bathroom, laying across a row of seats, FAs on the headsets with the ground/medical to have paramedics meet us at DIA.

Surly because I hate the sound of vomiting and I was in Row 10 and she was occupying the forward lavatory the whole time.  SW should have deplaned her before we took off.  Talk about a public health issue. 

Sounds like a sternly worded email to SWA is in order. That’ll show them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sounds like you missed a golden opportunity to drop this nugget...

• Haha 2

On 10/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, Js1 said:

Hopefully pregnancy?

at least it ain't contagious...

On 10/14/2022 at 3:34 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

The fact that I (used to) get the mlb pass and I can't stream the Rangers or Astros at home... Fuck MLB. 

weakstreams.com got me through this season.

I'm sure it will be something else next season; but yeah, we tried to do the MLB.com thing legit and Astros games were local.  We live 615 miles from fucking Minute Maid Park...and we "local."  GTFO of here with that bullshit, MLB.

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

weakstreams.com got me through this season.

I'm sure it will be something else next season; but yeah, we tried to do the MLB.com thing legit and Astros games were local.  We live 615 miles from fucking Minute Maid Park...and we "local."  GTFO of here with that bullshit, MLB.

Most infuriating thing ever. Especially because Astros games aren't even on TV where I live in dallas

• Rage+1 1

been house shopping for a while
the stove on an island is one of the dumbest ideas ever, particularly on an island with stool seating
Phil-Kean-Designs-Kitchen-island-with-stove.jpg
why yes, i would love to sit in front of a warm stove with oil splattering all over the place. 
Agreed. We just moved ours to a wall. Island cooktops make the whole island useless for anything else.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Agreed. We just moved ours to a wall. Island cooktops make the whole island useless for anything else.

Sinks are fine because you could do food prep and face the rest of the house.

But cooktops...box that shit in.  Except if it's pushed up against a cabinet (like a fridge).  That's dumb too.

• Like 1

At least the microwave door hinges are on the side so you can actually reach into it. I swear every other built-in microwave these days has a hinge at the bottom so it opens like an oven.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Built-in-microwaves-Microwaves-Appliances/4294715795?view=List

I have the Bosch microwave, it's mounted about 6" above my counter, but you gotta be built like George Muresan to reach in to get the food.

10 hours ago, Okie State said:
15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

image.thumb.jpg.e4124d0a8c9ad9fecb30eba8ca31a32c.jpg

Not if the island is big enough. 

Edited by nnm

Jeep People.  They are just vaping, big-wheel cyclists in disguise.  Think they own the road, always hovering over lane lines, rarely paying attention.   

This morning, I'm walking my dog around 7:00.  It's 37 degrees outside.  Dumb bitch in a Jeep has just dropped her sweet Kayden or Kash at school that is 1/12 mile away in the Jeep.  Naturally, she has the doors and top off the big wheel, and has the 10 month old in the car seat with her as well.  

37 Degrees bitch, put the damn top on the car so your baby doesn't freeze to death.   Imbeciles.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

We are looking to have some sort of gutter guard system installed on our house, so Mrs. Doom called Leaf Filter and the person she spoke to who arranges the estimate visits insisted on asking all kinds of questions about her marital status, and once the person found out she was married, they started asking her about my schedule and my availability. 

Motherfuckers couldn't/wouldn't accept that this is her project and that she has decision-making authority (I don't give a shit about this as much as she does, and I have a lot of work travel coming up.) But the asshole wouldn't let it go and kept trying to offer appointments at times that they assumed that I would be home (and not at the times she offered/asked for) so she eventually told them that we're no longer interested. 

Fuck you, sexist Leaf Filter shitheads. I look forward to my wife writing a check to a competitor of yours. 

• Rage+1 5

7 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

We are looking to have some sort of gutter guard system installed on our house, so Mrs. Doom called Leaf Filter and the person she spoke to who arranges the estimate visits insisted on asking all kinds of questions about her marital status, and once the person found out she was married, they started asking her about my schedule and my availability. 

Motherfuckers couldn't/wouldn't accept that this is her project and that she has decision-making authority (I don't give a shit about this as much as she does, and I have a lot of work travel coming up.) But the asshole wouldn't let it go and kept trying to offer appointments at times that they assumed that I would be home (and not at the times she offered/asked for) so she eventually told them that we're no longer interested. 

Fuck you, sexist Leaf Filter shitheads. I look forward to my wife writing a check to a competitor of yours. 

I just went through the very same thing trying to schedule an estimate with Anderson Windows. It must be a new technique. Pissed me off. 

• Rage+1 3

7 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

9 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

I just went through the very same thing trying to schedule an estimate with Anderson Windows. It must be a new technique. Pissed me off. 

They're just doing their jobs. Congrats for having very competent wives when it comes to stuff like that. I'm sure it will benefit y'all in the long run. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They're just doing their jobs. Congrats for having very competent wives when it comes to stuff like that. I'm sure it will benefit y'all in the long run. 

How is that doing their jobs? And if it is, why? 

When a potential customer calls you and asks you to come out and sell them something, shouldn't you arrange an estimate for as soon as possible, and at the time the potential customer requests? But no, - they somehow decided that the best way to make a sale is to instead insist that someone else be present. 

And not only that, but they dug their heels in about it and wouldn't move past it - even when she made it clear that she had absolute decision making and signing authority. 

Self-defeating foolishness for them, and frustration for the non-customer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

31 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Back in 2014, we were looking for a new car for the wife. We narrowed it down to an Infiniti or Acura. At the Infiniti dealership, the salesman (a middle eastern guy) only spoke to me. I repeatedly pointed to my wife and said the car was for HER, and she would make the decision. But he never got the hint, and continued speaking to me. We walked out, and across the street to the Acura dealership. We got an MDX that evening and she wrote the $50K check.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

How is that doing their jobs? And if it is, why? 

When a potential customer calls you and asks you to come out and sell them something, shouldn't you arrange an estimate for as soon as possible, and at the time the potential customer requests? But no, - they somehow decided that the best way to make a sale is to instead insist that someone else be present. 

And not only that, but they dug their heels in about it and wouldn't move past it - even when she made it clear that she had absolute decision making and signing authority. 

Self-defeating foolishness for them, and frustration for the non-customer. 

I agree it's dumb. I just think that they're playing percentages. And honestly there was zero sarcasm in my post- y'all chose well when it comes to women. I didn't phrase it well. 

And honestly there was definitely some sarcasm - but it was mainly directed at y'all for complaining about having great wives. 

33 minutes ago, Superhero said:

We got an MDX that evening and she wrote the $50K check.

That's fucking awesome. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, ztejas said:

I agree it's dumb. I just think that they're playing percentages. And honestly there was zero sarcasm in my post- y'all chose well when it comes to women. I didn't phrase it well. 

And honestly there was definitely some sarcasm - but it was mainly directed at y'all for complaining about having great wives. 

That's fucking awesome. 

Yeah, she’s a keeper, but this wasn’t a male vs female thing. They asked more questions than I’ve experienced when getting a home loan. It was intrusive, invasive, and fuck their windows. If they were playing odds they rolled the wrong dice. 

• Rage+1 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:31 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I’ve had the opposite happen with one of the bathroom shower contractors. They wouldn’t come out unless my wife was there too. 

Look, fucker, I’m totally qualified and authorized to pick a goddam style and color for a spare bathroom. 

But no….and I also told them to piss off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2022 at 6:53 AM, Superhero said:

We walked out, and across the street to the Acura dealership. We got an MDX that evening and she wrote the $50K check.

You dont have to buy a different car to spite the guy. You could buy the same car from his coworker to spite the guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Some of this is upthread. Streaming services make me surly. 

Several years ago, I “cut the cord” and cancelled the $150+ Directv service I’d had for way too many years. The only thing I watch on live TV is sports. CFB and MLB, mainly, with some CBB mixed in during the season and the Olympics. Everything else is on demand. I cut cable news out of my diet 20 or so years ago—one of the best things I’ve ever done for peace of mind.

Since cutting the cord, I’ve tried YoutubeTV (twice), Hulu with liveTV, PSVue (now defunct), Sling, FUBOTV, and now back to Directv streaming (no dish).

PSVue was nice but it died. Sony didn’t want to play that game anymore. 

YTTV is draconian in its geofencing, making it almost impossible to watch if you’re outside of your living room. Especially egregious because it advertises itself as being able to share between 3 family households. I can understand not sharing a single subscription among a bunch of people, but when my college son can’t watch it in Abilene because the home territory is ETX, that’s some BS. 

Hulu LiveTV is even more draconian in its geofencing. Any TV outside the door of your home is definitely a no-go. No travel option. And their channel interface is garbage. 

Sling does not have an option for local channels and that was dropped immediately. Only Fox and NBC. 

I went to FUBOTV a couple of months ago because it’s the only streaming service on which you can watch the Astros.  I actually really liked FUBOTV, especially the multi-view function on CFB game days.  It is really slick and works really well.  Clearly the sports consumer is high on their list of priorities.  However, it doesn’t have TBS, which meant I was SOL trying to watch the Astros in the playoffs (also no LHN, which isn’t necessarily a problem for me).

So I’m back to Directv (streaming).  With the HBO add-on, I’m up around $85/month.  Independent subscriptions for Hulu, Disney+ and Peacock and we’re back up to what we were spending before. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

Kansas City Airport.

I went to KC last week for work and the airport is just awful. No dedicated TSA line so you’re in line with the unwashed masses.

After you’re in, the hallways are really narrow. There was a short stretch that couldn’t have been wider than 6’W. When it opened up a bit, they randomly pushed a coke vending machine against the wall…

The baggage carousels are maybe 10’ from the corridors, so people waiting for their bags spilled out into the corridor and I’m weaving around people standing there.

OTOH, my company is building the new airport there and it is NICE. We got to tour it before officially opens In late February. The architecture firm is SOM and there is beauty in its simplicity.

FB8DAB7B-9FCE-4EC0-86FE-46458E3D6640.thumb.jpeg.99ec68bc95de7474ea2ad701679a53c5.jpeg

2C12156E-FFB4-474D-B629-321692FCCE34.jpeg

F684FC40-7CD3-4820-8FED-2AA8613CFB8A.jpeg

5EA01380-678B-4CDA-A0F8-6F581C3B3BBE.jpeg

FAC0B016-D2C7-41EE-914B-5C137EE10CB0.jpeg

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Yeah, as a standalone structure (meaning aside from potentially problematic distances between gates during short layovers - looking at you, PHX and CLT...), MCI is the worst airport in the country in my experience - especially relative to the size of the city it serves. 

It's like the original design cue was based off of toenail clippings. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1