the pirate

Hagbard Celine

I would be greatly gruntled should Leach become the new HFC at Texas. 

However, the hire would need to be made with a requirement that he teaches the Football, Business, and Warfare class every spring semester, and that BMDs be Guest Lecturers regularly.

Oh, and CDC must take Leach under his tutorial wing, and teach him how to dress. 

53 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

I said it before and will say it again, he is Arkansas bound.

Uggh.  If he goes there, IDK what I'd do.  Wazzu was easy as hell to support because they were likeable through the years.

Pigfans are among the very most worstest motherfuckers in the sports universe.  Fuck those people.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

. He's not an upgrade from Herman at all.

He's a monumental upgrade from almost any coach in football.  He's won in Lubbock and Pullman fucking Washington at very high levels. Would love to see him with the keys to a Ferrari, so to speak.  

Texas is just satisfied driving that 2005 Beemer around, I guess.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

He's a monumental upgrade.

And he's smart and funny. These are two of the personal attributes I admire the most. Think about it - if MensaTom were actually smart - and funny, too - the season would be a fuck of a lot more bearable than what we've been subjected to from his arrogant dumbass.

13 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

No he isn't. He's a quirky coach who has teams play above expectations every now and then. He's never even won a division title in his 18 years of coaching. 

Compare the programs' results before and after Leach's arrival.

and he's NEVER remotely had the most talented teams in his conference, but keep on running your mouth...

The fat girlfriend thingy bothers you, eh?

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

No he isn't. He's a quirky coach who has teams play above expectations every now and then. He's never even won a division title in his 18 years of coaching. 

He’s coached at fucking Texas tech and Washington state. What exactly do you expect? I don’t want him here, but he’s clearly a better HC than Herman. Isn’t really even debatable. He’s a damn good coach. He just wouldn’t work here, for a number of reasons. He’s a perfect fit for a Texas tech, or a Washington state, or an Iowa state. He had tech competitive every year. Consistently ranked between 15-25. We don’t even have that right now lol, so I don’t know how you could possibly think he isn’t a better coach than Herman. 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

last year's coach of the year.

i'm sick of hearing excuses why he would never work here.

i've watched 50% of this board twist and convulse itself in to rationalizing meyer.

so fuck it.

Pirate to Texas.

fight me.

happy thanksgiving.

I’m up for it if no Urban.  Just watching aggy’s apoplectic reaction alone makes it worth doing.  

The big unknown with Leach is whether he'd do more with more resources.

He's never been anywhere with great resources or expectations, and he's routinely outperformed what you'd expect in those situations.

That doesn't mean he'd outperform expectations at a place like Texas, where he'd have way more built in advantages but where expectations for year in/out performance are just higher.

I think the guy is just a better natural for at places like tech and wsu. He doesn't want to do anything traditionally and major powers will grow tired of that really quickly if he doesn't consistently win.

I do think he'll eventually win a conference title in the pac. He's already been close. It will be an outlier year, but he'll get it done, and he'll be set for life in Pullman.

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Compare the programs' results before and after Leach's arrival.

and he's NEVER remotely had the most talented teams in his conference, but keep on running your mouth...

The fat girlfriend thingy bothers you, eh?

Who’s fault is it that he doesn’t have the most talented teams? Baylor and TCU have done more with less. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

His career winning percentage is within one percentage point of Tom Herman's at Texas. Same 6-5 record this year. He's never won so much as a division title. His teams don't play defense. Good defensive coordinators routinely handle his air raid system. Not a particularly great recruiter.

The surly Leach fanboi thing is weird.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I dont understand how people are repping this post. Leach having the same winning percentage at shitty schools vs Hermans at Texas shows hes been relatively more successful and is a better coach... Look at whats happened to Tech since he left. Look at WSU's record before he got there. He does more with less. (Also he's 6-5 this year but has average >9 wins over the four years prior)

@Bill Lumbergh is asking the right questions. I'm not saying Leach is the answer but gmr's post is actually showing the opposite of what hes trying to say. If Leach wasn't such a weird person, he would 100% have been given a chance at a "tier 1" job already. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

The thought of him torching aggy every year in Jerry's dome makes my heart warm 

Can a pirate still beat a soldier? And is Vince Valdez working at a Fayettenam Dominos?

edit: This is a “gap kid” reference for any of you millennials who don’t recall the Kliff Kingsbury-Graham Harrell era of Tech/Leach dominating aggy’s spirit and anus. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Who’s fault is it that he doesn’t have the most talented teams? Baylor and TCU have done more with less. 

Well....

Art Briles and Gary Patterson are better coaches than leach. And all 3 are better coaches than Herman. Briles obviously didn’t get fired because of his teams performances on the field. Also, I think you’re underestimating ft worth/Waco vs Lubbock. It’s a lot easier to recruit those places than it is Lubbock, where you’re 4 hrs away from civilization lol. 

Leach ain’t going anywhere. He’s in a spot where he could keep that job for the rest of his life if he wanted it. He isn’t going to go somewhere like Texas with these expectations, and this little job security.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Leach is inherently unable to land a job like Texas, or any top tier school, really, so all this is is a fun hypothetical. 

What makes the Arkansas smoke interesting is that they have sucked long enough to consider him, and have enough resources to qualify as a legit test of what he could do with "more".

salient points from the first 5 hours of this thread:

- cigars - of course he's not going to handle them, see: cjk5h; would meyer do any better? - push

- pirate to pig - would instantly restore pig's nortex pipeline to the detriment of thieves

- pirate to pig - big problems for aggy

- same record as therm = same as therm? or, therm did less with more and pirate did more with less?

- can cigars smoke themselves?

- unproven/untried in a ferrari situation - has never won more with more (lumbergh makes a legit argument - therm proves it's not automatic)

Leach is a fun guy to listen to and a lot of his teams have feel good stories to them (mainly because those programs have no real expectations). But I don't want him as a head coach if conference championships and playoffs are the goals. He's not an upgrade from Herman at all.
what 9f he locks Bob Cole in an electrical closet?
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Can a pirate still beat a soldier? And is Vince Valdez working at a Fayettenam Dominos?

edit: This is a “gap kid” reference for any of you millennials who don’t recall the Kliff Kingsbury-Graham Harrell era of Tech/Leach dominating aggy’s spirit and anus. 

Millennials don’t remember the Alamo.  /mikemckinney

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Do it. Do it, do it, do it. Hire surly RichRod. The press conferences will be glorious. 

Some one could finally tell Chip Brown to go fuck himself.

6 hours ago, Horn80 said:

I’m up for it if no Urban.  Just watching aggy’s apoplectic reaction alone makes it worth doing.  

Fuck Urban it isn't going to happen. He's quit twice from his brain spiders he's done coaching bro.

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

At Tech and Wazzu.  The impact of making winning programs of two wastelands like that can't be overstated.

That said, I'm a believer in the old chestnut that "defense wins championships."  I think eventually Leach would be a disappointment, and I think he'd rub too many people the wrong way.  

8 hours ago, Iceman said:

He's a monumental upgrade from almost any coach in football.  He's won in Lubbock and Pullman fucking Washington at very high levels. Would love to see him with the keys to a Ferrari, so to speak.  

Texas is just satisfied driving that 2005 Beemer around, I guess.

Might look a little like a Ferrari from a distance, but Arkansas is actually a red ‘86 fiero that their best and brightest have converted to run  dimethylphenethylamine