Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This.  

The rally is not some long-term thinking going on here.  It's "what city/region can we go to that has a violent racial past, just so we can remind people just who is in charge here".

This is speculation, right?  There hasn't been any announcement that he's going to Tulsa on Juneteenth, right?

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is speculation, right?  There hasn't been any announcement that he's going to Tulsa on Juneteenth, right?

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/president-trump-coming-to-tulsa-for-a-rally-as-he-returns-to-the-campaign-trail/article_039feae1-d7bf-5d56-b522-01d654193337.html

President Donald Trump said Wednesday he will hold a campaign rally in Tulsa on June 19, the first since rallies were suspended earlier this year.

“They’ve done a great job with COVID, as you know, in the state of Oklahoma,” Trump said.

He made the announcement during a meeting at the White House with African American supporters.

Trump won Oklahoma four years ago in the presidential election by 36 percentage points.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

6 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Maybe, but it sure sounds like excuse-making for poor PR. It’s like BLM. Does the choir we’re preaching to understand that “Black Lives Matter” doesn’t mean “Only Black Lives Matter?” Sure. But the purpose of a slogan is to persuade some of those who didn’t previously agree with you.

The simple inclusion of “, Too” from the start would have avoided countless pointless discussions with people who don’t actually disagree with the real sentiment of the movement but who are easily distracted by cynical trolls and their deliberate misinterpretation. It hasn’t been a complete PR failure, but the effectiveness of the BLM movement was hampered by inadvertent ambiguity in the slogan. 

We can bitch and complain about how stupid and easily confused undecided American voters are, but that’s the reality of the world. Any progressive movement should expect cynical pushback from the right. Because that is what always happens.

Counterpoint #MeToo 

/sarcasm

Edited by brown water

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What is misleading about defunding the police?  That’s exactly the goal.  Defund the motherfucking police.  Slogans don’t need nuance, that’s why they’re slogans. Some are just uncomfortable with the idea and they demand more clarity in order to dismiss the idea. 

Disagree. "Defund" is an ambiguous word in that it can mean both reduce funding and eliminate funding. At first blush it's reasonable to interpret it as a desire to abolish public law enforcement altogether.

It's a bad slogan. 

• Like 2

Well, it seems Dawn Michaels, PhD might not be the academic we all naturally assumed she is.  

BA (1989-91), Communications -- Cal State Northridge (checks out)

MA (1992-94), Marriage & Family Therapy/Counseling  -- Phillips Graduate University (ummm)

MA (1993-95), Marriage & Family Therapy/Counseling, what another one? -- Phillips Graduate University (ummm x2)

PhD, Human Sexuality -- Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality (for-profit, unaccredited, bullshit meter screams "11")

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Disagree. "Defund" is an ambiguous word in that it can mean both reduce funding and eliminate funding. At first blush it's reasonable to interpret it as a desire to abolish public law enforcement altogether.

It's a bad slogan. 

to me, defund is not ambiguous.  that's the whole point.

reform is the goal.  "reform the police" hasn't worked.  "abolish the police" is overtly direct, and would accomplish nothing.

"defund the police" is the way it is on purpose.  it starts the conversation.  even trump knows that, because in his tweets, he says, "radical democrats want to defund and abolish the police!" 

Can't wait for the day when Trump and his people are sneaking through Alaska, crossing over to Russia. He's live tweeting from a boat on the Bering strait how he won and is not a criminal,  but will live in "magnificent" Russia until his name is cleared. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

She's wrong. Don Jr. never hosted his own reality tv show. Trump spent almost 40 years conning the American public to get where he is. That's not going to transfer to any of his kids. It's also not going to work for any other GOP politicians who try to copy Trump's style. 

GWB didn't have anywhere near the bonafides his daddy did either. For some reason, despite our general preference for meritocracy and distaste for hereditary title, Americans love dynasties and can't help but raise up junior on the hope or assumption he's an equal, if not improved, facsimile of his daddy. You see this all the time not just in politics but entertainment, business, law, coaching, etc. 

21 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I feel like this is a pretty big reach as far as Trump shit to be outraged about. There are a lot better talking points to hammer on. 

I think you're confusing the word outrage with audacity considering the entire context of Juneteenth in the Souf, Trump and his racial issues, the current state of racial issues in America (that will not be magically solved in 9 days), and what seems like 75% of America just now learning about the Tulsa Race Massacre. 

I don't consider "outrage" the right word there. 

• Like 2

And I'll take it a step further...

If yall and the internet thought the Dems were pandering to Black people with the kneeling and Kente cloth they were wearing, this is setting up to be pandering of the highest order:

- met with (conservative only) Black folk today

- announced a speech in Tulsa (known for Black Wall Street Massacre)

- announced said speech on Juneteenth, a prominent "holiday" for Blacks in the Souf

- and is supposed to give a race/race issues speech to America sometime within the next few days???

Talk about pandering...

• Like 7

It can't be a coincidence, so must be done on purpose. Add it to the list of shitty things he does to try and be Presidential. He'll say he has done more for African Americans than anyone else, including Lincoln; with the backdrop of the massacre. And he won't even get the irony. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

to me, defund is not ambiguous.  that's the whole point.

reform is the goal.  "reform the police" hasn't worked.  "abolish the police" is overtly direct, and would accomplish nothing.

"defund the police" is the way it is on purpose.  it starts the conversation.  even trump knows that, because in his tweets, he says, "radical democrats want to defund and abolish the police!" 

I just don't see how it's not ambiguous when nobody knows specifically what it looks like. For Minneapolis it's disbanding the PD and replacing it with...nobody knows, apparently not even them.

You seem to acknowledge it's short on specificity and is only intended to start a conversation. Those are the makings of slogan that can be used against you by the other side. 

Something that conjures the idea of tearing down and rebuilding or reimagining the police would be a lot better than one conjures an image of the same police just with no money now. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

GWB didn't have anywhere near the bonafides his daddy did either. For some reason, despite our general preference for meritocracy and distaste for hereditary title, Americans love dynasties and can't help but raise up junior on the hope or assumption he's an equal, if not improved, facsimile of his daddy. You see this all the time not just in politics but entertainment, business, law, coaching, etc. 

If you're drawing an analogy between the presidency of George HW Bush and that of Donald Trump then I'm not sure you fully grasp the Trump phenomenon. Sure, we love our dynasties. So much so that there have been a total of two father-son presidencies in the history of the republic. That claim breaks down further when you consider the fact that Trump beat out Jeb Bush for the GOP nomination. You're comparing apples to oranges. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think you're confusing the word outrage with audacity considering the entire context of Juneteenth in the Souf, Trump and his racial issues, the current state of racial issues in America (that will not be magically solved in 9 days), and what seems like 75% of America just now learning about the Tulsa Race Massacre. 

I don't consider "outrage" the right word there. 

Outrage may be an overstatement (although I've read the twitterverse reaction described as such) - how about "indignant" instead? 

I guess my point is that if I, as a person without any racist history or feelings, were running for election and my campaign handed me a proposed rally schedule with "Tulsa, June 19th" on it, it wouldn't occur to me that it would offend anyone to hold a rally then and there, even though I well know what happened there in 1921 and the significance of 6/19.

So, while I believe Cheeto is a racist POS and would wager this probably is a dog whistle, I just think it's a stretch as cause for indignation. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you're drawing an analogy between the presidency of George HW Bush and that of Donald Trump then I'm not sure you fully grasp the Trump phenomenon. Sure, we love our dynasties. So much so that there have been a total of two father-son presidencies in the history of the republic. That claim breaks down further when you consider the fact that Trump beat out Jeb Bush for the GOP nomination. You're comparing apples to oranges. 

So you're refuting my contention that Americans love dynasties (not entirely sure if that was sarcasm)? Based on there being only 2 presidential examples (I'd count the Roosevelts as well, and RFK was going to be another) and that Jeb Bush lost to Trump? 

That would be a great refutation if I had said Jr. is a shoo-in because of his dad. But the point I actually made is that family gets an awfully big boost. Which seems to me a reasonable counterpoint to make in response to your definitive statement that Jr. isn't going to win because he doesn't have the unique advantages cultivated by Bunkerbitch. 

• Like 1

He probably 'hears' black Wall Street and somebody might have even used that term around him if they mentioned the historical event, but what he doesn't see (because he is info-phobic) are the images of what it was like both during its heyday and after the massacre. And what it was like in north Tulsa for many many decades. When I was pretty young, the business and commercial 'white' part of downtown ended where what is now called the BOK Tower is located. Everything north of that was (like in many cities) divided by the expressway (no idea when that was built) and was populated by derelict warehouses, run down buildings, the Salvation Army, etc. South of that dividing line, you had the modern glittering glass buildings of the banks and the petroleum companies, the classical Art Deco masterpieces of the oil days of the 1920s and eventually the beautiful Boston Avenue United Methodist Church. In other words, the part of town that would not ever be allowed to be destroyed. That 'Black Wall Street' was right there. Right in sight of those buildings and you could practically throw a baseball and hit the BOK Center. Maybe a little further, but not much. As the rest of the city developed further and further south past the private schools and country clubs until it began to subsume the outlying towns like Broken Arrow, I only remember that it seemed like north Tulsa was a forgotten landscape.

IIRC there are some folks on here that live there or also used to live there. I haven't been back regularly so I've missed a lot of that downtown redevelopment that occurred, such as the BOK center. I've been past it but never inside. My family that still lives there thinks poorly of the city's 'leaders' and developers and has held that opinion for a long long time. A hard fought lawsuit may have biased their opinion some, and it wasn't helped by little back door deals they discovered that occurred during development along the River Parks and other places around town that ended up soaking the taxpayers.

If Trump holds his rally to talk about Opportunity Zones, they will be listening very closely, with the above information in mind. They know, just as in Miami and Palm Beach, that the opportunity is mostly for those that belong to Southern Hills Country Club, who have tickets to the Philharmonic, and own the land the Art Deco and glittering glass buildings sit on, a haunting and taunting reminder to others that in order to have the opportunity, you have to have the privilege.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
clarification
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

lulz @ anyone thinking trump can comprehend the tulsa race riots. the man is a complete idiot 

Oh, there's no way Trump himself picked that date and place for that purpose. But I can guaran-damn-tee you that Stephen Miller, or some other fucking Nazi in the West Wing, most certainly did.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 3

Oh, there's no way Trump himself picked that date and place for that purpose. But I can guaran-damn-tee you that Stephen Miller, or some other fucking Nazi in the West Wing, most certainly did.

Exactly. This administration has been using a dog whistle to call racists since the beginning.

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

So you're refuting my contention that Americans love dynasties (not entirely sure if that was sarcasm)? Based on there being only 2 presidential examples (I'd count the Roosevelts as well, and RFK was going to be another) and that Jeb Bush lost to Trump? 

That would be a great refutation if I had said Jr. is a shoo-in because of his dad. But the point I actually made is that family gets an awfully big boost. Which seems to me a reasonable counterpoint to make in response to your definitive statement that Jr. isn't going to win because he doesn't have the unique advantages cultivated by Bunkerbitch. 

It was such a bad analogy that it didn't really merit a response. Trump is not like any other president so you can't draw parallels. He's a reality tv show host and carnival barker, a snake oil salesman and con man. He's not launching a political dynasty. Again, I don't think you fully grasp the Trump phenomenon of you think it's that simple. As foul and disgusting as he is, he's a pop culture icon and has been for decades. Don Jr. not so much. Or at all. 

6 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I love that Trump is furious about his terrible polling and decides to celebrate Confederate generals while one of his top advisers says systemic racism doesn't exist anywhere in America. 

Truly overwhelmed by his 4D chess abilities.

He's eating the pieces again.

• Like 2

We keep hoping the sequel will be better than the original. But it’s almost never true.*

*Except for Empire Strikes Back.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

lulz @ anyone thinking trump can comprehend the tulsa race riots. the man is a complete idiot 

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He's eating the pieces again.

Yep

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It was such a bad analogy that it didn't really merit a response. Trump is not like any other president so you can't draw parallels. He's a reality tv show host and carnival barker, a snake oil salesman and con man. He's not launching a political dynasty. Again, I don't think you fully grasp the Trump phenomenon of you think it's that simple. As foul and disgusting as he is, he's a pop culture icon and has been for decades. Don Jr. not so much. Or at all. 

I guess you're going to stick with kicking the shit out of the strawman argument of Don Jr. = GWB so Don Jr. gonna win. Even though I was clearly citing the latter only to support the notion that you can't write off the former because he doesn't have what his dad does. Don Jr. will nevertheless benefit from the fact that his dad had/was those things. 

It seems like the guy who thinks Don Jr. has no shot in 4 fucking years from now - apparently because he's not actually the same person as Dotard - is the one with a severely insufficient understanding of the Trumper cult. 

52 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

We keep hoping the sequel will be better than the original. But it’s almost never true.*
*Except for Empire Strikes Back.

39 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Aliens too imo. Oh and T2. 

Godfather_part_ii.jpg

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Also, W was the Governor of Texas. Dotard Jr is... nothing.

Everyone please keep explaining the differences between GWB and Dotard Jr. It's really insightful and illuminating even if it has no bearing on the very simple and clear point I made re: GWB. Thank you. 

• Like 2

Imagine that you're so stupid that,  having witnessed what has happened over the last four years in the United States, you're saying "I want four more years of this!"  Imagine that you're so stupid that you're also saying "I want four more years of this so much that I'm willing to put myself in a tightly enclosed space with several thousand other screaming, sweating people when there's a deadly pandemic afoot."   Imagine a place where there enough such stupid people as to make this possible ...

• Like 1