The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You claim executive privilege when you resist producing testimony or witnesses.  That is all the needs to be done.  The party then seeking the information must seek redress in the courts.  So yeah, he did not claim executive privilege in court.  Because the democrats decided not to seek redress in the courts.

Pretty much how discovery works for most privileges.  You claim privilege.  Other side either sets the issue for hearing in a court.  Or the privilege stands. 

You are saying lies without sourcing as truth. The Dems did go to the courts for multiple subpoenas across a variety of issues. Trump admin officials under subpoena did not comply and trump did not exert executive privilege. It's simple non-compliance. 

Stop lying, you Johnny sack of shit. 

2 minutes ago, staboner said:

lol you guys arguing with redneck Tahoe now. why are you even bothering?

haha, for real. the trump supporter glee in this acquittal tells you more about their mindset and integrity than most anything else, aside from voting for the orange hobgoblin in the first fucking place. it's about "getting over" and "sticking it to the libs." it sure as shit ain't about justice of morality and anything virtuous. 

trolling will continue to intensify.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

haha, for real. the trump supporter glee in this acquittal tells you more about their mindset and integrity than most anything else, aside from voting for the orange hobgoblin in the first fucking place. it's about "getting over" and "sticking it to the libs." it sure as shit ain't about justice of morality and anything virtuous. 

trolling will continue to intensify.

sadly I am not even sure I would call it trolling so much as winning. Which I know you get. They come out only when their message is effectively an unchallenged one. State of Union for example a night or two ago

They are trying to win away your right to a representative democracy. The want more than anything for you to lose. Thinking that somehow you can rationalize anything with them on the field they are playing on is pointless. Harder part is understanding how to go on the offensive - for sure. I get that. How you would teach a child a lesson on morality was my thinking for a while. I think that opp has passed. With every win they have the options for us get more narrow. 

Anyway, 2020, good luck with that. I sure hope its a nuke free version of 2020. Hope you are well my man. Much love.  

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, staboner said:

sadly I am not even sure I would call it trolling so much as winning. They come out only when their message is effectively an unchallenged one. State of Union for example a night or two ago

They are trying to win away your right to a representative democracy. The want more than anything for you to lose. Thinking that somehow you can rationalize anything with them or the field they are playing on is pointless. Harder part is understanding how to go on the offensive - for sure. I get that. How you would teach a child a lesson on morality was my thinking for a while. I think that opp has passed. With every win they have the options for us get more narrow. 

Anyway, 2020, good luck with that. I sure hope its a nuke free version of 2020. Hope you are well my man. Much love.  

Where are you?  Can I come?

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

He lied about his history of having sex with subordinates in the workplace, which is pretty fucking pertinent in a workplace sexual-harassment lawsuit.

And in the non-under-oath statements, wagging his finger at us and lying to our face pissed off a lot of people.

Remember when people got pissed off about a POTUS lying to their face one time?  Seems like 11,000,0000,0000 years ago.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You claim executive privilege when you resist producing testimony or witnesses.  That is all the needs to be done.  The party then seeking the information must seek redress in the courts.  So yeah, he did not claim executive privilege in court.  Because the democrats decided not to seek redress in the courts.

Pretty much how discovery works for most privileges.  You claim privilege.  Other side either sets the issue for hearing in a court.  Or the privilege stands. 

The ouroboros of bullshit isn't fooling anyone. You support telling Congress the only remedy is the courts while simultaneously telling the courts that they have no jurisdiction. None of us are obligated to play in to your charade.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I will raise a glass to Mitt Romney tonight. 

I won’t.

Mitt is a coward and always has been. The only reason he voted to acquit on the abuse charge is because the outcome was already secured. If the balance of the Senate was Bernie, King plus 64 Democrats and 34 Republicans, there’s no fucking way in hell Mitt Romney votes guilty on either charge today. 

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The witnesses could have always just showed up and testified. That puts the onus on the White House to get a court order to prevent them from testifying. 

3 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I won’t.

Mitt is a coward and always has been. The only reason he voted to acquit on the abuse charge is because the outcome was already secured. If the balance of the Senate was Bernie, King plus 64 Democrats and 34 Republicans, there’s no fucking way in hell Mitt Romney votes guilty on either charge today. 

I’m not seeing the logic here. Knowing how vindictive Trump is, it seems every bit as dangerous-arguably more dangerous-to vote for his conviction knowing that he will still be in power.

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I’m not seeing the logic here. Knowing how vindictive Trump is, it seems every bit as dangerous-arguably more dangerous-to vote for his conviction knowing that he will still be in power.

What’s Trump going to do to him? Call him a bad name? Ridicule his magic underpants religion?

Edited by hpslugga

5 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

What’s Trump going to do to him? Call him a bad name? Ridicule his magic underpants religion?

As a start. I mean, you’re being facetious, but at minimum, he’ll make his life as unpleasant as he possibly can. I think that’s a tangible consequence.

Beyond that, since dissent isn’t really allowed in the contemporary GOP, you could read “Trump” as “the Republican Party.” He’s not making any friends with that vote, among his colleagues or his constituents. At the fringe, there’s even the potential for violence against him.

You could just as easily turn it around anyway: what happens if Trump is removed? There is still a Republican President. In your alternate reality, there’s a Democratic supermajority, so the President isn’t accomplishing anything anyway. So why would he act differently?

16 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I won’t.

I respectfully disagree.

Senator Mittens is silly and ignorant but he’s got guts and guts is enough. 

Now you ladies carry on. 

24 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I won’t.

Maybe. But if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle. 

Not a bad club to be in- 

In fact, he became the first senator in United States history to vote in favor of convicting a president of his own party in an impeachment trial.

23 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I won’t.

Mitt's vote did make it the most bi-partisan Senate impeachment trial vote in US History.

so we got that going for us, which is nice. (I guess)

Image result for so i got that goin for me which is nice

I was thinking on the way home today that all of this won't matter much in November.  Why?

Because between now and then the economy is going to tank, and Trump is too stupid to figure out how to save it.  No Crooked Hillary to blame.  Between stupid things like the 737 Max and the Coronovirus killing parts of the economy he'll be weakened by October.  Everything he thinks is a given will turn against him.  Even the stupidest of the stupid will turn on him.  

Don't worry, it's easier to fix an economy than a democracy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Lets see, off the top of my head...

• Threaten to lock him up like his last political opponent
  • Solicit or coerce a foreign government to launch a baseless investigation into him
  • Get Barr to launch a baseless investigation into him as he has done with others opposed to him
  • Exit him from the Republican party
  • Do whatever it takes to ensure he loses the next election for the "good of the country"
  • Wage a war against any businesses he's associated with as he has done with Bezos/Amazon

And those are just some of the tactics he's used to this point that are known.  When the tardking's id is unleashed in his 2nd term, I would expect there to be an escalation of such methods.  There has certainly been no negative ramifications to Trump for any of the above, so why would he stop now?  It has been a winning playbook for him to this point.

The magic underpants religion is an interesting thought, though.  Where are members of the LDS church going to place their allegiance?  Romney and his crisis of conscience driven by their shared religion or the evangelical's golden (orange) calf Trump?

• Like 1

In case anyone is interested, here are the R senators up for re-election (or retiring) this year:

Elections leading to the next Congress[edit]

In these general elections, the winners will be elected for the term beginning January 3, 2021. All of the elections involve the Class 2 seats; ordered by state.

State
(linked to
summaries below)
Incumbent Results Candidates
Senator Party Electoral history
Alaska Dan Sullivan Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Arkansas Tom Cotton Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Colorado Cory Gardner Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Georgia David Perdue Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Idaho Jim Risch Republican 2008
Incumbent running.
  • Nancy Harris (Democratic)[51]
  • Travis Oler (Democratic)[52]
  • Jim Risch (Republican) [53]
  • James Vandermaas (Democratic)[54]
  • Ray Writz (Constitution)[55]
Iowa Joni Ernst Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Kansas Pat Roberts Republican 1996
Incumbent retiring.
Kentucky Mitch McConnell Republican 1984
Incumbent running.
Louisiana Bill Cassidy Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Maine Susan Collins Republican 1996
Incumbent running.
Mississippi Cindy Hyde-Smith Republican 2018 (Appointed)
2018 (Special)
Incumbent running.
Montana Steve Daines Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Nebraska Ben Sasse Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
  • Matt Innis (Republican)[101]
  • Chris Janicek (Democratic)[102]
  • Dennis Frank Maček (Democratic)[102]
  • Larry Marvin (Democratic)[102]
  • Angie Philips (Democratic)[103]
  • Ben Sasse (Republican)[102]
  • Alisha Shelton (Democratic) [104]
  • Dan Wik (Democratic)[105]
North Carolina Thom Tillis Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Oklahoma Jim Inhofe Republican 1994 (Special)
Incumbent's intent unknown.
  • Dylan Billings (Democratic)[128]
  • Abby Broyles (Democratic)[129]
  • Tyler Dougherty (Democratic)[130]
  • Bevon Rogers (Democratic)[131]
  • J.J. Stitt (Republican)[132]
  • Mike Workman (Democratic)[133]
South Carolina Lindsey Graham Republican 2002
Incumbent running.
South Dakota Mike Rounds Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Tennessee Lamar Alexander Republican 2002
Incumbent retiring.
Texas John Cornyn Republican 2002
Incumbent running.
West Virginia Shelley Moore Capito Republican 2014 Incumbent running.
Wyoming Mike Enzi Republican 1996
Incumbent retiring.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

As a start. I mean, you’re being facetious, but at minimum, he’ll make his life as unpleasant as he possibly can. I think that’s a tangible consequence.

Again, what exactly can Trump/the GOP actually do?

Romney is a multi-millionaire senator who presides over a seat that hasn’t belonged to a democrat since January of 1977.

Trump, as well as the GOP, literally has nothing to threaten him with. He’s rich and the Mormons fucking love him. This is a guy who carried Utah in the 2012 election with a percentage that rivaled Reagan’s in 1984.

In the Senate midterm election, facing the so called Blue Wave, he still managed to capture nearly 2/3rds of the vote. The only way that Mitt Romney loses that seat is if he retires or dies. He’s not getting voted out and he won’t face expulsion either. And even if they could manage to get him out, he’s not going to be suffering. Again, the guy’s net worth is somewhere in the $200 million range, and he cares about that more than he does being a senator.

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

You could just as easily turn it around anyway: what happens if Trump is removed? There is still a Republican President. In your alternate reality, there’s a Democratic supermajority, so the President isn’t accomplishing anything anyway. So why would he act differently?

The only thing rich fucks like that care about is their legacy since there’s nothing else to really worry about. He wouldn’t want to be known as the deciding vote, and in that alternate reality, he would be. 

I appreciate your willingness to concede the pettiness and vindictiveness of that party, but let’s not kid ourselves into believing that this was some brave act of heroism. It wasn’t. If he was as principled as you’re making him out to be, he would announce today that he’s switching parties. Watch him do exactly not that. Watch him, instead, take to Twitter how fucking great he thinks Rush Limbaugh is...

oh wait, he already did that.

19 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I respectfully disagree.

Senator Mittens is silly and ignorant but he’s got guts and guts is enough. 

Now you ladies carry on. 

Not only that, he's smart.  He knows Trump won't last forever and that plane crashes into the mountain he'll be able to say he was the voice of reason.  He can tell the people in Utah that Trump is no saint and stepped over the line.  And guess what, he's right. 

He'll be the sole surviving Republican.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

McConnell declines to say whether Romney should be expelled from the Grand Trump Party. 

He ain’t dumb. With 4 pretty vulnerable seats up in November, expelling Romney could seriously fuck with his majority 

19 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Mitt's vote did make it the most bi-partisan Senate impeachment trial vote in US History.

so we got that going for us, which is nice. (I guess)

Image result for so i got that goin for me which is nice

Wtf?

Clinton had 10 GOP senators vote for acquittal on one charge and 5 on the other. 

• Like 1

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

hypothetically couldn't romney just become an independent? he might want to do that anyway. further erode Moscow Mitch's razor thin majoirty

Yes, especially if it ends up 50/50 after November. Or 51/49 with a Dem president elect. 

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

hypothetically couldn't romney just become an independent? he might want to do that anyway. further erode Moscow Mitch's razor thin majoirty

Even if he did, he’d be an independent that caucused with them...kinda like Bernie and Angus with the DNC

9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That’s so good. 

McConnell wont expel him, despite president shitstain and his worthless brood’s desires.

I hope Trump constantly attacks Romney from this point on. Makes Pelosi’s decision to rip up president shitstain’s worthless speech look like a profound move. 

Anyone with a brain knows how corrupt trump is, unfortunately we have to live with a whole lot people like Johnny Sack who stopped growing intellectually at the age of 10. 

• Like 2