Houston Texans Offseason 2020

The Earl of Texas

Really nothing on this roster that’s going to bring much draft capital. I could see JJ wanting a last shot with a contender, but you’d get a 4th rounder max for him, and he’d have to come off of that $17MM for his new team. I could just as easily see him staying put on the $17 next year and playing one more after that for a contender. Short of that the only real tradable asset is Justin Reid, and he’s coming up for an extension.

BoB pretty much stuck us with this roster for this season and the next, but then some of these bad contacts start coming off the books.

4 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Really nothing on this roster that’s going to bring much draft capital. I could see JJ wanting a last shot with a contender, but you’d get a 4th rounder max for him, and he’d have to come off of that $17MM for his new team. I could just as easily see him staying put on the $17 next year and playing one more after that for a contender. Short of that the only real tradable asset is Justin Reid, and he’s coming up for an extension.

BoB pretty much stuck us with this roster for this season and the next, but then some of these bad contacts start coming off the books.

Try and trade him this year.  Salary would be pro-rated and maybe a push for a contender or someone suffers an injury.  Since there's no dead money, they just cut him in the offseason or try and redo his deal.  Still, 8 million for a half a season is rough and most contenders aren't under the cap that much.

46 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I want Joe Brady or Public Bienemy. Brady has shown his chops these past 2 years with LSU and Carolina. He has a nice mix of college and NFL experience. I would be very happy with Bienemy but I wonder how much he is contributing to their success compared to Andy Reid.

In his first season as the Chiefs offensive coordinator, the Chiefs were first in the NFL in yards per game and points scored. The Chiefs scored the third-most points in a season in NFL history with 565. Additionally, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes became the second quarterback in NFL history, along with Peyton Manning, to throw for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns in a season. [15] In 2019, Bieniemy won his first Super Bowl when the Chiefs defeated the San Francisco 49ers 31-20 in Super Bowl LIV

I think Andy gives his OC's a little more input than Holmgren did with guys like Sherm Lewis. Hell, Nagy got a job.

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

People need to let off the notion that they should have kept Hopkins. The trade was terrible because they got so little return. The trade wasn’t terrible because they got rid of him. Apparently it was known that he was going to hold out for near-QB money and the Texans had to pay big bucks to Tunsil and Watson, as well as sign several other contributing role players. It wasn’t like Hopkins was just going to show up and honor his contract in 2020.

That said, I’m glad he’s gone. The Tunsil trade looks terrible today but was probably near market value. The selection of a D2 project OT with a first rounder the week before was a bigger crime. Trading Hopkins for a second rounder, then giving that second rounder away for Brandon Cooks...oof. Maybe a real front office and coaching staff can find talent and coach them up around a QB and LT in their prime. Cal would probably never let them move JJ, but there’s no point of him being on this team in 2020 and 2021 if they aren’t competing, and he could fall off at any time. If Belichick were running the Texans, he’d have been traded for a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder already. 

Agreed

15 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Do what America wants.  Trade JJ to Green Bay.

Sign me up for anyone from the Ravens organization. I have always said that if there is an organization that we should try to copy it is the Ravens. They have been a good team competing for Super Bowls for 2 decades now and they won championships with Trent Dilfer and Flacco. Let me say that again - they won Super Bowls with Dilfer and Flacco. Eric DeCosta was a guy we had pined for years but is not available now that he is finally their GM. I am intrigued by anyone that has been mentored by Ozzie and DeCosta

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Sign me up for anyone from the Ravens organization. I have always said that if there is an organization that we should try to copy it is the Ravens. They have been a good team competing for Super Bowls for 2 decades now and they won championships with Trent Dilfer and Flacco. Let me say that again - they won Super Bowls with Dilfer and Flacco. Eric DeCosta was a guy we had pined for years but is not available now that he is finally their GM. I am intrigued by anyone that has been mentored by Ozzie and DeCosta

Please take McClay..... I beg you.

58 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

People need to let off the notion that they should have kept Hopkins. The trade was terrible because they got so little return. The trade wasn’t terrible because they got rid of him. Apparently it was known that he was going to hold out for near-QB money and the Texans had to pay big bucks to Tunsil and Watson, as well as sign several other contributing role players. It wasn’t like Hopkins was just going to show up and honor his contract in 2020.

That said, I’m glad he’s gone. The Tunsil trade looks terrible today but was probably near market value. The selection of a D2 project OT with a first rounder the week before was a bigger crime. Trading Hopkins for a second rounder, then giving that second rounder away for Brandon Cooks...oof. Maybe a real front office and coaching staff can find talent and coach them up around a QB and LT in their prime. Cal would probably never let them move JJ, but there’s no point of him being on this team in 2020 and 2021 if they aren’t competing, and he could fall off at any time. If Belichick were running the Texans, he’d have been traded for a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder already. 

tenor.gif?itemid=14231910

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but Brandin Cooks looks awesome. He had... (checks stats)...

0 catches last week. 

You obviously stopped reading the post after the first sentence. I said the Cooks trade was stupid, as I did before the draft. Hopkins is one of the top WRs in the NFL and as a Texans fan I miss him. 

1. There’s a thing called the salary cap

2. How many top 3 or top 5 paid WRs do you see holding up Lombardi trophies? Green in Cincinnati? OBJ in NYG or Cleveland? Hopkins in prior years? Desean Jackson? Dez Bryant? The closest is Julio Jones. It’s the teams that invest in a star QB and great OL and DL that build perennial championship caliber teams.

The Texans have the highest paid OT, 2nd highest paid QB, and are paying JJ $17, Mercilus $13.5, and McKinney $10. Bumping Hopkins to what he wanted would have meant filling out the roster with minimum vets and UDFA types. 

THE TRADE WAS STUPID BECAUSE HE COULDNT GET A FIRST ROUND PICK!  Blasting the trade because you didn’t want to see Hopkins go for any reason shows no understanding of salary cap management.

15 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

You obviously stopped reading the post after the first sentence. I said the Cooks trade was stupid, as I did before the draft. Hopkins is one of the top WRs in the NFL and as a Texans fan I miss him. 

1. There’s a thing called the salary cap

2. How many top 3 or top 5 paid WRs do you see holding up Lombardi trophies? Green in Cincinnati? OBJ in NYG or Cleveland? Hopkins in prior years? Desean Jackson? Dez Bryant? The closest is Julio Jones. It’s the teams that invest in a star QB and great OL and DL that build perennial championship caliber teams.

The Texans have the highest paid OT, 2nd highest paid QB, and are paying JJ $17, Mercilus $13.5, and McKinney $10. Bumping Hopkins to what he wanted would have meant filling out the roster with minimum vets and UDFA types. 

THE TRADE WAS STUPID BECAUSE HE COULDNT GET A FIRST ROUND PICK!  Blasting the trade because you didn’t want to see Hopkins go for any reason shows no understanding of salary cap management.

So why not wait on trading him then?

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So why not wait on trading him then?

I assume he had let people know he was going to hold out and BoB decided to get something for him before the draft to have something on the 2020 roster. David Johnson had no value, and a second round pick should have got BoB fired, especially after the Bills paid a 1st rounder for Diggs. You think the Bills prefer Diggs to Hopkins? Or some other team that craved WR talent, including the Cardinals? It sounds like BoB always lets the other teams and free agent negotiate the terms of every transaction. He is a fucking idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Congrats, Texans! Just saw the good news. Hopefully, y'all will find someone who better understands Watson and will work to build a team around him instead of undermining him.

Not a Texans fan, but am a huge Deshaun supporter. Hope better days are ahead!

Seems like that guy may be the current OC for the Chiefs.  But the Joe Brady angle is interesting as well.

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Congrats, Texans! Just saw the good news. Hopefully, y'all will find someone who better understands Watson and will work to build a team around him instead of undermining him.

Not a Texans fan, but am a huge Deshaun supporter. Hope better days are ahead!

Good luck building a team with all the draft picks they traded away. 

• Hook 'Em 2