Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

How the hell did the US get back above 1,100 deaths a day?

And North Dakota is having to shift their National Guard from contact-tracing to notifying the people who are actually infected, because they are "overwhelmed". How can they be "overwhelmed", they have less people than Fort Worth.

2020 has decided it's going to goat-fuck us on the way out the door.

Cuz we are fucking stupid. I realize a lot of essential people need to go to work. But the rest? Shit, I have to go to DC for a face to face with a group on a government grant. Oh yeah, and it is about public health..... 

There is a balm in Gilead:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/22/fda-approves-gileads-remdesivir-as-coronavirus-treatment.html

KEY POINTS

The FDA approved Gilead Sciences’ antiviral drug remdesivir as a treatment for the coronavirus.

The intravenous drug has helped shorten the recovery time of some hospitalized Covid-19 patients.

Remdesivir is now the first and only fully approved treatment in the U.S. for Covid-19.

• Hook 'Em 1

And North Dakota is having to shift their National Guard from contact-tracing to notifying the people who are actually infected, because they are "overwhelmed". How can they be "overwhelmed", they have less people than Fort Worth.

As a border city citizen, western ND was DGAF mode most of summer. Bismarck blew up, and the rest of the state followed. Fargo, west Fargo and minot are the only places with mask mandates, and they were mandated this week.

Sooo yea.

7 day average on cases was 33K on 9/10 now its almost double at 60k.  surprisingly deaths have remained flat to down at 766 to 749 and we are almost 6 weeks since case curve started trending back up.  hopefully the deaths continue on that path.

good work smart guys/docs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

As a border city citizen, western ND was DGAF mode most of summer. Bismarck blew up, and the rest of the state followed. Fargo, west Fargo and minot are the only places with mask mandates, and they were mandated this week.

Sooo yea.

Uff-dah

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

So is Wisconsin. First patient moved to one of those temporary field hospitals today:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2020/10/21/field-hospital-wisconsin-state-fair-park-admits-first-patient/3718586001/

That's crazy. I feel like all of us, myself included, have sort of relaxed thinking the days of seeing pictures of overwhelmed hospital workers in the US are over. God bless our healthcare workers, let's hope they are given better resources and planning this time on every level, from local to state to national to their own corporate/organizational leadership.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

So is Wisconsin. First patient moved to one of those temporary field hospitals today:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2020/10/21/field-hospital-wisconsin-state-fair-park-admits-first-patient/3718586001/

That's crazy. I feel like all of us, myself included, have sort of relaxed thinking the days of seeing pictures of overwhelmed hospital workers in the US are over. God bless our healthcare workers, let's hope they are given better resources and planning this time on every level, from local to state to national to their own corporate/organizational leadership.

I can't remember but didn't they avoid the first wave?  wisconsin seemed to have a bed shortage from the get go if I recall but yeah not good.  hopefully this is a hill and not a mountain and deaths track flat.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

7 day average on cases was 33K on 9/10 now its almost double at 60k.  surprisingly deaths have remained flat to down at 766 to 749 and we are almost 6 weeks since case curve started trending back up.  hopefully the deaths continue on that path.

good work smart guys/docs.

Hopefully the deaths don’t follow. They did in the summer wave, but again, I think we have learned how to treat this better since then. The next two months will be crucial 

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The next two months will be crucial 

I don’t know, man. It seems like this virus is trolling us. It’s doing whatever the fuck it wants to do regardless of what we do to. I mean, look at some of the European countries. They had stopped it cold, and then the virus is like, just kidding, you didn’t stop me at all, now I’m going to fuck y’all up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I don’t know, man. It seems like this virus is trolling us. It’s doing whatever the fuck it wants to do regardless of what we do to. I mean, look at some of the European countries. They had stopped it cold, and then the virus is like, just kidding, you didn’t stop me at all, now I’m going to fuck y’all up.

Virus (doing it's best Allen Iverson impression): Two weeks? TWO WEEKS??? TWO WEEKS, MAN? You're talkin' bout 2 weeks? How silly is that.

17 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I don’t know about all of Europe, but Germany reopened bars and relaxed post travel quarantine requirements. People there are like people here, everyone got tired and let down their guard 

The French government is imposing a curfew on two-thirds of the country - 46 million people - from Friday night for six weeks, after a record 41,622 new coronavirus infections in one day.

The total infected in the epidemic has now passed one million. In Europe, only Spain and Russia have reached that.

A week ago night curfews were introduced in Paris and eight other French cities. Now 38 more areas will have curfews from 21:00 to 06:00.

Most of Europe has rising infections.

Slovakia is to impose a partial lockdown for a week from Saturday, allowing only travel to work, shopping for essentials and school for younger children.

New lockdowns have come into force in the Czech Republic and Republic of Ireland.

There are also high infection rates in Belgium, Spain and Italy, putting many hospitals under severe pressure.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54658369

34 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How does the US make up over 20% of the worlds covid cases, over 20% of the worlds covid deaths, but only have 4% of the worlds population?

I get the logic of your thought here, but this only works if you believe the numbers coming out of all of the other countries.  There are probably only a handful of countries accurately tracking #s like the US (who knows if we actually are), not to mention testing and access to testing plays a role as well.  I'm not shitting on your point, I'm just adding my perspective.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How does the US make up over 20% of the worlds covid cases, over 20% of the worlds covid deaths, but only have 4% of the worlds population?

We make up 50% of the world's fat people. (Based on my international travel experience)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, if you think China hasn’t had a death since May and is at only 4k total, well I don’t know what to tell you. 

The data out of Europe is probably pretty equivalent in the larger countries. UK, Spain, France are all in the same realm as far as test per million, and all about the same in deaths per million. Germany is the only one that is truly in a different (better) category. Places like Mexico, Venezuela, or Nigeria I wouldn’t bother trying to compare. They don’t have the capability to test and report like us or parts of Europe, and they may not have the desire to do it if they can

6 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

I get the logic of your thought here, but this only works if you believe the numbers coming out of all of the other countries.  There are probably only a handful of countries accurately tracking #s like the US (who knows if we actually are), not to mention testing and access to testing plays a role as well.  I'm not shitting on your point, I'm just adding my perspective.

33 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

The French government is imposing a curfew on two-thirds of the country - 46 million people - from Friday night for six weeks, after a record 41,622 new coronavirus infections in one day.

The total infected in the epidemic has now passed one million. In Europe, only Spain and Russia have reached that.

A week ago night curfews were introduced in Paris and eight other French cities. Now 38 more areas will have curfews from 21:00 to 06:00.

Most of Europe has rising infections.

Slovakia is to impose a partial lockdown for a week from Saturday, allowing only travel to work, shopping for essentials and school for younger children.

New lockdowns have come into force in the Czech Republic and Republic of Ireland.

There are also high infection rates in Belgium, Spain and Italy, putting many hospitals under severe pressure.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54658369

6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

We make up 50% of the world's fat people. (Based on my international travel experience)

Not just "fat" but morbidly obese. I've travelled the world and there are fat people everywhere. But not "40 year olds who need a handicap parking spot and a scooter to get into Walmart" fat. We could all lose a few pounds, but JFC we have a large amount of GINORMOUS FAT people in our midst. Those are the people who die from things 99% of the world survives. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Probably influenced to a large extent by poor testing and reporting from the most populous nations of the world, e.g. india, paki, indonesia, nigeria, bangladesh, etc. 

Screenshot-2020-10-23-094003.jpg

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

How?

From Idaho, where all mitigation has been left to local officials:

The hospital in Coeur d’Alene reached 99% capacity a day earlier, even after doubling up patients in rooms and buying more hospital beds. Idaho is one of several states where a surge of COVID-19 infections is overwhelming hospitals, likely in part because cooler weather is sending people indoors, U.S. health officials said

“We’re facing staff shortages, and we have a lot of physician fatigue. This has been going on for seven months — we’re tired,” Lee said. He introduced several doctors who testified about the struggle COVID-19 patients face, the burden on hospitals and how masks reduce the spread of the virus.

But the board voted 4-3 to end the mask mandate. Board members overseeing the operations of Idaho’s public health districts are appointed by county commissioners and not required to have any medical experience.

Board member Walt Kirby said he was giving up on the idea of controlling the spread of coronavirus.

I personally do not care whether anybody wears a mask or not. If they want to be dumb enough to walk around and expose themselves and others, that’s fine with me,” Kirby said. “Nobody’s wearing the damned mask anyway. ... I’m sitting back and watching them catch it and die. Hopefully I’ll live through it.”

Another member, Allen Banks, denied COVID-19 exists.

“Something’s making these people sick, and I’m pretty sure that it’s not coronavirus, so the question that you should be asking is, ‘What’s making them sick?’” he told the medical professionals who testified.

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

How?

From Idaho, where all mitigation has been left to local officials:

The hospital in Coeur d’Alene reached 99% capacity a day earlier, even after doubling up patients in rooms and buying more hospital beds. Idaho is one of several states where a surge of COVID-19 infections is overwhelming hospitals, likely in part because cooler weather is sending people indoors, U.S. health officials said

“We’re facing staff shortages, and we have a lot of physician fatigue. This has been going on for seven months — we’re tired,” Lee said. He introduced several doctors who testified about the struggle COVID-19 patients face, the burden on hospitals and how masks reduce the spread of the virus.

But the board voted 4-3 to end the mask mandate. Board members overseeing the operations of Idaho’s public health districts are appointed by county commissioners and not required to have any medical experience.

Board member Walt Kirby said he was giving up on the idea of controlling the spread of coronavirus.

I personally do not care whether anybody wears a mask or not. If they want to be dumb enough to walk around and expose themselves and others, that’s fine with me,” Kirby said. “Nobody’s wearing the damned mask anyway. ... I’m sitting back and watching them catch it and die. Hopefully I’ll live through it.”

Another member, Allen Banks, denied COVID-19 exists.

“Something’s making these people sick, and I’m pretty sure that it’s not coronavirus, so the question that you should be asking is, ‘What’s making them sick?’” he told the medical professionals who testified.

Jesus.  Fucking.  Christ.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I'm not going to defend how our country has dealt with this virus, but:

• Do you really trust numbers from any other place in the world outside of western Europe and some select Asian countries?  Russia, China, Iran, India, etc., either do not have the political will or the resources to accurately report their true numbers.  So, your premise is wrong.  The United States does not, in reality, make up over 20% of the world's cases and deaths.
  • The single most frustrating thing to me about the past 8 months is the near silence from our political leaders of all parties and our public health officials on the most important things that people can do to improve their likelihood of surviving COVID: eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and lose weight.  Our country is disgustingly obese.  It was inevitable we would get hammered by a virus that causes more severe outcomes in obese people.  One of the main public health components to combating this virus should be tackling obesity.  Instead, because we live in a "you can't fat shame me!" culture, there is utter silence on this vital point.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Stannis said:

The single most frustrating thing to me about the past 8 months is the near silence from our political leaders of all parties and our public health officials on the most important things that people can do to improve their likelihood of surviving COVID: eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and lose weight

We can't expect our citizens to actually DO anything. That's what the Government is for!

• Hook 'Em 2

It is really bad at the baseball fields. Both my boys (13 & 11) play select and at their tournaments the number of fat and severely fat parents is really disturbing. It is even more disturbing as you can see their kids also thickening up and what their future will look like.

Not much is more ironic than hearing a BMI 50+ dad screaming at his kid to "Hustle up" or "Run faster".

America's years of processed foods, fast food & sugar laden soft drinks has come home to roost. I wish Fauci would make obesity a corner stone of his speeches on CV19.

Ultimately this will never happen, we cannot get people to wear a simple mask, forget about ever getting them to actually work out.

• Like 1

It is really bad at the baseball fields. Both my boys (13 & 11) play select and at their tournaments the number of fat and severely fat parents is really disturbing. It is even more disturbing as you can see their kids also thickening up and what their future will look like.
Not much is more ironic than hearing a BMI 50+ dad screaming at his kid to "Hustle up" or "Run faster".
America's years of processed foods, fast food & sugar laden soft drinks has come home to roost. I wish Fauci would make obesity a corner stone of his speeches on CV19.
Ultimately this will never happen, we cannot get people to wear a simple mask, forget about ever getting them to actually work out.
Oh man, we've played out in Taylor recently and this post is the truth.

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Probably influenced to a large extent by poor testing and reporting from the most populous nations of the world, e.g. india, paki, indonesia, nigeria, bangladesh, etc. 

Screenshot-2020-10-23-094003.jpg

Sure that, and also the blatant, outright lying coming from a pretty huge nation, China.  And then there's Russia...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

My kid plays select soccer, and it is amazing how many fat parents there are.  Austin is not so bad at all, but Houston and San Antonio tournaments are full of fattys.  And some of the players are fat at 13.  How the heck can you be 13, practice 2-3 times a week and run for 80 minutes on the weekend and be fat?  (I know diet).  Small towns are the worst. My son likes to play count the non obese people at Heb in Victoria, or Port Lavaca -its rare to hit double digits of non obese people, just shocking really.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away