Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, T-shirt Sip said:

This is probably a stupid question but I was just sitting on my back porch and listening to the bugs in the distance got me thinking. Can mosquitoes transmit this virus to humans?

Don’t think it’s carried in the blood. But I haven’t stayed at a holiday inn express recently. 

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its still mind boggling to me how late people are to the game on this one

ncaa is JUST NOW establishing a covid 19 task force? Lol where the fuck were they in all of feb?

jfc

Nobody that matters was proactive on this thing. We’re still reacting. We still don’t have tests. It’s crazy. 

33 minutes ago, MrBig said:

How accurate is the testing? Looks like there’s a real problem with the testing if the North Star Mall shopper in San Antonio can test negative twice, get released, and then test positive again. Any stats on the reliability of these tests within the margin of error?

Good question, don't know.  There likely are different sources for tests around the globe, again don't know.  It sounds like the turnaround times vary as well but are as short as several hours depending on how they're handled.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If you thought was a rant, I’m fascinated that you’ve survived on this board as long as you have. I’m assuming you pulled out your hair and ate through your fingernails a long time ago. 

I like that you think of me in your fever dreams.  

NY man with virus traveled to Miami, Florida

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240835481.html

Feds wouldn’t test Miami woman whose doctors think she has it

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/miami-woman-says-cdc-officials-refused-to-test-for-coronavirus-despite-doctors-saying-she-most-likely-has-it/

A Miami woman said Monday that she was told by doctors at Jackson Memorial Hospital that she “most likely” contracted coronavirus while traveling in Italy, but was not tested and was instead sent home to self-quarantine because state and federal health officials refused to authorize an official screening,

The woman told a local CBS News affiliate that after she was admitted to the hospital, her “preliminary tests came back rather alarming because I tested positively for two strains of the previous coronavirus.” She went to the hospital as her health steadily declined following a week in Northern Italy.

Contact tracing gonna be fun over the next few weeks.  

Well I just know I trust my school district to coordinate with the CDC on making sure two kids who were at the mall did not come close to the KungFlu shopper. Same people who cannot fix a bus schedule. And for the record, I do not live in SA. 

46 minutes ago, MrBig said:

How accurate is the testing? Looks like there’s a real problem with the testing if the North Star Mall shopper in San Antonio can test negative twice, get released, and then test positive again. Any stats on the reliability of these tests within the margin of error?

Just a followup to that, it sounds like basic genetic sequencing was determined then shared globally by way of WHO for incorporation by recipients into any number of assays depending on what the recipient nations chose to use.  There are some with advanced micro experience posting on this thread who could clarify what I'm getting right or wrong about this.  For the US, it could be that we were given the same starter genetic code when everyone else was, but no one was home at CDC, which so happened to be recently defunded/shuttered in some important capacities.  Who the hell knows right now.

Edited by triplehorn

3 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

So stupid to name it the 'Novel Coronavirus', no wonder many think it is fictitious.

Worse, since no one reads anymore they think it won’t affect them.  Just stay away from libraries and book stores and they think they will be safe.   If they want to get people to take notice, it needs to be renamed the “Cellphone Coronavirus”.

One factor I was thinking about in estimating US fatality rates based on data from China, beyond the Chinese data being mostly nonsense, is that the US has a higher percentage of 70+ year olds than China. In the 80-84 range, for example, they are 1.1% of China's population and 1.9% of the US population. That factor alone will increase the CFR in the US, independent of all other considerations. There are 22.7 million Americans in the 70-79 range and 12.7 million are 80+.

The older age groups are also more likely to get a serious form of the illness, although I have not seen an estimate on that. But if 80+ year old persons with a serious form of the disease are ~50x more likely to die from it than younger adults, they are probably many times more likely to get a serious case of the disease. One commonly cited estimate is that 80% of people who are infected get a mild form of the disease, but that will not be true for older age ranges. 

Older people in the two countries may also have vastly different living arrangements and social activities with vastly different risks of infections. Consequently the CFR among those with a serious form of the disease could be significantly higher in the US. It would be nice if we had some trustworthy data to work from.

26 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Just wait till San Fran, Chicago, New York, Philly, etc get cases

the urban dense places are where its really gonna spread like wildfire

...which is why I think it’s interesting where we’ve seen the first cases. Not what I would have expected but it may have to do with testing and that it hit a nursing home in Washington early. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/8-percent-iran-parliament-has-coronavirus-it-released-54000-prisoners-2020-3

8% of Iran's parliament has the coronavirus, and it released 54,000 prisoners as the country descends into chaos

At least seven government officials also have it, including one of Iran's vice presidents, and a key adviser to Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has died from the virus. 

Iran is descending into chaos amid the coronavirus outbreak, with the government seemingly incapable of handling the scale of the crisis and going as far as to threaten the death penalty to those who hoard necessary materials or equipment. 

Meanwhile, Iran has temporarily released 54,000 prisoners to combat the spread of COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the virus, BBC News reported.

The coronavirus has caused such a stir in Iran that people are not leaving their homes, which has apparently eliminated pollution from the skies of the capital, Tehran. 

22 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Jeez, Iran is a mess.

Yep. After Irma there were a ton of breakouts from prison on Tortola.  They just wanted to make sure their families were ok and almost to a man they turned themselves in after checking on their families.  That’s not happening in Iran. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

How does releasing prisoners help prevent the spread of this virus? That makes no sense at all.

Also, how do you temporarily release them? Do they have to pinkie swear they’ll come back?

That’s 54,000 cases the Iranian government doesn’t have to treat, because you can’t treat what you can’t find.   

spacer.png

OH SHIT HE JUST TOUCHED HIS FACE

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

With schools across the Chicago area taking measures to prevent the potential spread of the coronavirus, one suburban school has decided to excuse any and all absences due to illness. 

Oak Park and River Forest High School said beginning Wednesday, any parent or guardian who informs the school of a child's absence due to illness will now be considered excused and will not count toward the school's 12-absence limit. The new policy will continue through the end of the semester, Superintendent Dr. Joylynn Pruitt-Adams said in a letter to parents. 

"One of the most important recommendations is for students to stay home when sick," Pruitt-Adams wrote. "To that end, we are altering our 12-day absence policy for illnesses." 

The school is among several in the Chicago area monitoring cases of the coronavirus, which currently sit at four in Illinois, though a possible fifth case is being treated in Chicago.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away