Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Not parking widebodies. Redeployed for hub to hub, transcons, and leisure destinations.

It’s being reported by multiple news organizations that they will PARK the planes.

WSJ:

The carrier is also parking some wide-body jets and offering staff members an unpaid leave of absence—in the latest effort by airlines to mitigate the impact of virus-related travel restrictions and passenger concerns over flying.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-airlines-cuts-u-s-international-flights-due-to-coronavirus-11583351419

At school pickup, I heard someone say they just found the first one in Austin. Haven't heard that elsewhere. Don't know if the mom is in the know or if she was talking out of her ass.

/You don't want pics of this mom talking out of her ass.

Edited by CooterBrown

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

At school pickup, I heard someone say they just found the first one in Austin. Haven't heard that elsewhere. Don't know if the mom is in the know or if she was talking out of her ass.

I've heard half a dozen coworkers between my office and my wife's taking about the "first case in Houston, but it's just something I heard". Despite the lack of consistency/truth from the feds on this, I'd wait until at least county authorities say something before raiding costco again

It’s being reported by multiple news organizations that they will PARK the planes.

WSJ:

The carrier is also parking some wide-body jets and offering staff members an unpaid leave of absence—in the latest effort by airlines to mitigate the impact of virus-related travel restrictions and passenger concerns over flying.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-airlines-cuts-u-s-international-flights-due-to-coronavirus-11583351419
Welp I'm reading the memo from the company and union to me. Not parking jets. Yet. If this nonsense continues through the end of the summer flying season all bets are off for some of the older triples, airbii, and oldest NGs. My opinion only and do not reflect the opinions of United Airlines Holdings Inc..

12 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Welcome to the Hotel Coronafornia !

Ventilators keep breathing
To keep people off of ice
and she said, "Its not, like, a prison here."
"Its just the coronavirus"
And in their sequestered chambers
They turn on their TVs
Their eyes glass over and their brains grow dim
In a picture of normalcy

Then sometime in September
There comes a knock at the door
"You're quarantine is over, ma'am!"
"You can go back to where you were before!"
But they just lay there staring
At the picture on the TV
They don't hear nothing 'cause
The Bachelor's pickin' his bride to be!

• Like 4

Interesting. 

and fucking a bit worrisome. 

WASHINGTON — A medical professional who conducted passenger screenings at Los Angeles International airport tested positive for the coronavirus late Tuesday night, according to a statement from the Department of Homeland Security and an internal email obtained by NBC News.

The person last worked screening air travelers for illness on Feb. 21, said the DHS statement, which also said the medical professional had worn the proper protective gear while working. The internal email described the medical professional as a "CDC {Centers for Disease Control and Prevention} contract medical screener."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/medical-screener-lax-airport-tests-positive-coronavirus-n1149986

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I've heard half a dozen coworkers between my office and my wife's taking about the "first case in Houston, but it's just something I heard". Despite the lack of consistency/truth from the feds on this, I'd wait until at least county authorities say something before raiding costco again

If she heard it in Houston, it's definitely rumor at best, bullshit at worst, since Harris County said they wouldn't be reporting the numbers of infected and deaths yesterday. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

If she heard it in Houston, it's definitely rumor at best, bullshit at worst, since Harris County said they wouldn't be reporting the numbers of infected and deaths yesterday. 

Do they need to make sure accurate numbers from the Rodeo are accounted for? 

25 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Bueller2.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

China doing some medical trailblazing 

There are occasional advantages to giving zero fucks.  Testing wild-ass medical treatments on human subjects, because what the fuck are they gonna do about it?  That's one of those advantages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

CNBC:

United Airlines will cut its flight schedule next month, amid a global coronavirus outbreak and slowing demand.

The airline will cut international flights by 20% and domestic flights by 10%. Some wide body planes will be parked.

I assume we've got to be getting a price slash soon as well. Let's go United. Come on, baby. 

I know a travel agent in her 60's. She claimed this weekend that this is the worst she's ever seen the travel environment. That includes 9/11. I called bullshit and she was like "for reals". So my wife's got the pricing alerts set up.

I'm assuming the west coast will have to slash prices the deepest. Haven't been to SF since last summer. Heading to LA with the family for spring break. Haven't been to San Diego since Legoland gave all of my children, and then they gave me, Hand Foot & Mouth, so that could be fun. I don't know. Maybe Seattle's prices get chopped to such a degree that it's a no-brainer. Looking good whichever way. I assume we're going to be only people at Universal and Disneyland/Cali Adventure. We can't lose.

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The funniest shit on this thread may be the predictable yet still hilarious gambit that the fucking Junior Miller guy made at claiming that an outbreak had started at an Arlington hospital but that "the authorities don't want you to know about it yet".

That was, what, like 20-30 pages back? It was replete with "my friend who is a doctor called me with the warning and advice to stock up on supplies" and secrecy around which hospital in order to protect the friend who, if they existed, would be one of hundreds of employees at whatever hospital. God, that might have been the moment that this thread hooked me. I never read the first 60+ pages and maybe I should because I have no idea what treasure is buried in there. If it includes more SydneyCarton meltdown join-ins, I need to set aside a few hours here.

In any event, I assume we're in for at least another 10 episodes of "Somewhere in Texas, I've heard that a secret outbreak is unfolding." I don't know, maybe I'm being too optimistic. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Have they given a timeline on this? Do they plan to never report anything?

2 minutes ago, Okie State said:
11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Have they given a timeline on this? Do they plan to never report anything?

Shit if I know man, I just read this thread like everyone else:

https://twitter.com/hcphtx/status/1234656329580654592?s=20

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I assume we've got to be getting a price slash soon as well. Let's go United. Come on, baby.  

I would be all over this if we didn't have young kids that depended on us.  Think I posted but I got the best deal of all time at the Royal Playa Del Carmen during the swine flu scare (and airfare was dirt cheap).  It was awesome.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know a travel agent in her 60's. She claimed this weekend that this is the worst she's ever seen the travel environment. That includes 9/11. I called bullshit and she was like "for reals". So my wife's got the pricing alerts set up.

I'm assuming the west coast will have to slash prices the deepest. Haven't been to SF since last summer. Heading to LA with the family for spring break. Haven't been to San Diego since Legoland gave all of my children, and then they gave me, Hand Foot & Mouth, so that could be fun. I don't know. Maybe Seattle's prices get chopped to such a degree that it's a no-brainer. Looking good whichever way. I assume we're going to be only people at Universal and Disneyland/Cali Adventure. We can't lose.

The funniest shit on this thread may be the predictable yet still hilarious gambit that the fucking Junior Miller guy made at claiming that an outbreak had started at an Arlington hospital but that "the authorities don't want you to know about it yet".

That was, what, like 20-30 pages back? It was replete with "my friend who is a doctor called me with the warning and advice to stock up on supplies" and secrecy around which hospital in order to protect the friend who, if they existed, would be one of hundreds of employees at whatever hospital. God, that might have been the moment that this thread hooked me. I never read the first 60+ pages and maybe I should because I have no idea what treasure is buried in there. If it includes more SydneyCarton meltdown join-ins, I need to set aside a few hours here.

In any event, I assume we're in for at least another 10 episodes of "Somewhere in Texas, I've heard that a secret outbreak is unfolding." I don't know, maybe I'm being too optimistic. 

There was also the guy that said his son’s girlfriend was in the know about the cases in Katy. 

Just now, Skipper said:

I would be all over this if we didn't have young kids that depended on us.  Think I posted but I got the best deal of all time at the Royal Playa Del Carmen during the swine flu scare (and airfare was dirt cheap).  It was awesome.

Are you an old smoker? You will be fine otherwise unless you're going to go hang out in some sort of confined space with filthy people eating bats. Buck up, sir. 

I was in New Orleans this weekend and getting reservations was easy as pie. There were 3 people in line ahead of us when we showed up to Parkway for poboys. There's allegedly usually a line around the building during lunch hour at that place. There were open seats at Carousel during happy hour. Planes and amusement parks might wind up being some of the safest places in the country if all of the preppers here are correct and the apocalypse is nigh.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Well about 30 minutes ago a homeless guy in front of the W told me “Don’t believe the bullshit, SXSW is cancelled. We are all gonna die.” So, he’s been briefed.

Good enough for me. Packin up the mutt, ammo, beans, and lube.

Actually almost out of lube already so I will be thunder doming the Allendale HEB for KY.

3 hours ago, XYZ said:

Is there evidence that a significant percentage of people who get infected by the COVID-19 never develop symptoms (or develop very mild symptoms), or is that an assumption based on how viruses typically work? Have the 30 first responders been tested?

The article to which I was responding doesn't say if they were tested or not. 

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/12-quarantined-kirkland-firefighters-showing-flu-like-symptoms

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

An Econolodge? Come on, these people are going through enough. Love the outdoor walkways. Great for their privacy. 

I once had to spend consecutive nights at an Econolodge outside of Corpus Christi.

Death by coronavirus would have been a blessing.

• Like 2

If you haven’t learned yet, feel feel to ignore everything Junior Miller posts.
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away