Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And some of them....will have been a complete clusterfuck, allowing their jurisdiction to become a hub for the disease spreading (I mean, we're all expecting Florida will meet this description, right?)

Text exchange with a friend of mine in Florida:

Heso: Are hospitals testing people in Florida yet?

friend: Maybe. Seems very unclear. The one I’m at in ft Meyers is. And obviously the one in Sarasota did. But there’s been no statewide mandate on anything yet. 

Just now, Goredho said:

We need to police ourselves against political opinion better or else the mods will have to.  The President's comments should be discussed here, but civilly and without invective.

Yeah, sorry -- my bad, was bouncing back and forth between threads, forgot which one it was in.  I'll take my lumps.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, sorry -- my bad, was bouncing back and forth between threads, forgot which one it was in.  I'll take my lumps.

All good, imo.  It is a shame we can't just speak freely about this issue and our government's response to it, but alas.

• Like 3

If they never get tested, are experiencing very mild symptoms, and are indeed feeling better what makes you think that they aren’t going back to work?? That is most likely already occurring. Are we to mandate that everyone that feels cold like symptoms that they should stay home for at least 2 weeks? I don’t really think that is going to happen here. People will just never report feeling any level of “sickness”.

• Like 1

Some notes from today:

8 new cases in Iceland. Now it is going after the blondes.

First 4 cases in West Bank, Palestine. They are fucked.

2 new cases in Portugal. I thought I would be safe in the Azores.

China’s National Health Commission reports 5 new cases across the mainland, excluding Hubei province. Yeah, fuck China.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

All good, imo.  It is a shame we can't just speak freely about this issue and our government's response to it, but alas.

I just don't understand how you can discuss the issue as a current event without at least considering why the feds have been responding in the way they have. It shouldn't be political to point out that the president either is LYING TO OUR FACES about the impact and threat of the disease, or he doesn't understand it at a basic level - either of which is pretty fucking concerning for how all that shit could impede an effective response to an atleast outbreak-level disease that's already killed more people than SARS or ebola.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Why do we need a test kit?  Can’t we just send blood samples to any lab with a functioning microscope?

You dont just look at a sample under a microscope.  The testing looks for the specific virus DNA to confirm you have SARS-CoV-2 and not some other coronavirus like the common cold.  

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/united-states-badly-bungled-coronavirus-testing-things-may-soon-improve

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Some notes from today:

8 new cases in Iceland. Now it is going after the blondes.

First 4 cases in West Bank, Palestine. They are fucked.

2 new cases in Portugal. I thought I would be safe in the Azores.

China’s National Health Commission reports 5 new cases across the mainland, excluding Hubei province. Yeah, fuck China.

China is just going to close the book on this thing, claim victory and stop testing. I doubt we’d ever know if it flared up again there unless it became catastrophic. 

If they never get tested, are experiencing very mild symptoms, and are indeed feeling better what makes you think that they aren’t going back to work?? That is most likely already occurring. Are we to mandate that everyone that feels cold like symptoms that they should stay home for at least 2 weeks? I don’t really think that is going to happen here. People will just never report feeling any level of “sickness”.

That's me. I had the flu/chest cold/Coronavirus/AIDS, pretty bad, earlier this week. Back to 90% now with no sneezing or coughing. Can I go back to work? I hope so, because I am.

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I just don't understand how you can discuss the issue as a current event without at least considering why the feds have been responding in the way they have. It shouldn't be political to point out that the president either is LYING TO OUR FACES about the impact and threat of the disease, or he doesn't understand it at a basic level - either of which is pretty fucking concerning for how all that shit could impede an effective response to an atleast outbreak-level disease that's already killed more people than SARS or ebola.

There's a thread in the CR for it. Go there. That type of political discussion does nothing helpful here (or there) but at least it can be contained. Yes, pun intended.

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Or possibly, the threat is really, really low. I think it’s foolish to not at least consider that possibility. 

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yea, thats the problem with containment in the US.  We dont have the discipline or means collectively to put the greater good in front of our needs.  Its easy to say "youre sick, stay home" but when you're the breadwinner working shit wages and dont have the ability to stay home for 2-4 weeks, I get why some people will say "fuck you, Im working."  The bigger problem is, people are contagious before they are symptomatic, so our lack of testing makes it a moot point anyway.  We should be identifying the sick prior to symptoms and keeping those people isolated.  

The real oh shit moment thats coming is when school districts start closing their doors for 2+ weeks and forcing parents to make hard choices.  Thats when this really gets people attention. 

• Like 1

This is just all my opinion, I'm no mod or anything:

I am limiting myself to surfacing facts and data and comparing that to direct quotes from government officials.  Others can form their own opinions of any impedance mismatch that may exist between them.

There are places where people get their information where they will be limited to hearing just the messaging from government officials without any data that bolsters or weakens that message.  I have found these people to be open to reviewing their positions when presented with facts and data that is not laced with invective.

I save for the cloak room my own interpretations as to why a mismatch exists between the facts/data and the messaging.

• Like 3

I am concerned:

1) That our seemingly poor response is partly based on the fact our health system is set up to treat chronic disease. The profit is now mostly in chronic disease because it kills a lot of people and that the carrot for profit and mandate from Medicare is that we focus and treat chronic disease.  We still do extremely poor in prevention. As well, there has been very little motivation in our country to treat infectious disease. We have become complacent.  This has been a trend no matter who is in office.

2) Our population rivals third world countries in burden of obesity, lack of fitness, poor diet and general malaise about health education in general. This virus could wreck a good chunk of our population because they have self induced diabetes, heart disease and general lack of fitness needed to survive a serious case of Covid.

Edited by Newdoc
  • Like 3

Personally I believe that testing for coronavirus is futile and perhaps even unnecessary. Most likely this is going to spread to a large percent of the globe and we're unable to stop it. Anyone that has flu-like symptoms should self-quarantine themselves as if they have the coronavirus. Schools and employers should also send people home.  And there should be clear understanding when you should head to a hospital.

Basically we should be educated by the health community and govt to understand how we should take care of ourselves until we can't.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

37 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

President Donald Trump suggested during an interview on Fox News Wednesday that many people with mild coronavirus symptoms could still go to work and get better. This goes against advice from medical professionals around the world who say that infected individuals should remain in isolation.

“A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity. “So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-work-coronavirus-074817221.html

He’s right. Thousands will get a mild case and continue their daily lives because people are selfish. He’s framing it to downplay the overall severity of the problem, but he happens to be right.  I’ve been at work with people could barely stand and certainly couldn’t focus on a task, that had to be ordered home by a supervisor.  Why would this virus be any different?  

that’s a big reason this virus won’t be contained. People think of their paycheck or their deadline and ignore their symptoms. Until we start welding people in, we are a giant incubator. Recommendations for self quarantine will not be followed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Recommendations for self quarantine will not be followed. 

Was talking to a group of college students last night. A lot work in at cafes, etc. They all said they could not force to quarantine. They do not have the resources on hand to withstand 2 weeks of no work or to purchase 2 weeks worth of supplies. You are correct, a large segment will not follow the rules. But I think in part is because they cannot, not that they do not want to. 

• Like 2

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Was talking to a group of college students last night. A lot work in at cafes, etc. They all said they could not force to quarantine. They do not have the resources on hand to withstand 2 weeks of no work or to purchase 2 weeks worth of supplies. You are correct, a large segment will not follow the rules. But I think in part is because they cannot, not that they do not want to. 

Agreed.  People working at/near minimum wage, usually dont get paid time off, or have any signficant savings built up.  We have a very delicate house of cards that may come tumbling down if we get widespread quarantines, because the country is just not prepared to sit at home for 2-4 weeks without pay.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Recommendations for self quarantine will not be followed. 

I don't disagree with you that many won't.  But many will.  The throttling of cases against our healthcare system has been discussed a lot here in this thread.  I'm of the opinion that if a measure prevents no infections but throttles their rate, its a good thing.  Arbitrary number, lets say 100,000 would eventually become infected and need serious treatment.  If that 100,000 are spread over 6 months, we are better prepared to handle it than if they all hit the system over 2 months.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, thats the problem with containment in the US.  We dont have the discipline or means collectively to put the greater good in front of our needs.  Its easy to say "youre sick, stay home" but when you're the breadwinner working shit wages and dont have the ability to stay home for 2-4 weeks, I get why some people will say "fuck you, Im working."  The bigger problem is, people are contagious before they are symptomatic, so our lack of testing makes it a moot point anyway.  We should be identifying the sick prior to symptoms and keeping those people isolated.  

The real oh shit moment thats coming is when school districts start closing their doors for 2+ weeks and forcing parents to make hard choices.  Thats when this really gets people attention. 

I'm sure it's already there especially in Kirkland/Seattle.  The fortunate part is that it doesn't seem to be impacting kids nearly has hard as adults for whatever reason

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

that’s a big reason this virus won’t be contained. People think of their paycheck or their deadline and ignore their symptoms. Until we start welding people in, we are a giant incubator. Recommendations for self quarantine will not be followed. 

That's actually why I think testing is important.  Not only do we need it right now to identify hot spots and help local officials make decisions regarding cancelling schools/events, etc. (particularly if we're hoping to get to summer hoping that will delay the spread), but we also need it widely (cheaply) available once it has spread everywhere because hopefully if people know they have Covid rather than just a cold, they may actually be more likely to stay home.  And employers will put in policies mandating that they stay home.  Sure, not everyone will follow, we are a nation of fat, stupid, morons, but every bit helps.

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm sure it's already there especially in Kirkland/Seattle.  The fortunate part is that it doesn't seem to be impacting kids nearly has hard as adults for whatever reason

I dont think they are closing schools because of any increased risk to the kids.  They are closing schools because its a prime place to spread the virus.  Its a hub for a lot of spokes.  Lots of kids that dont wash their hands touching a lot of commons surfaces, and then going home to thousands of houses and spreading it further. 

Edited by TXSG8R
  • Like 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

I agree with most of this but only partially agree with the last sentence. People choose to have debt, to buy iPhones, to buy Jordans, and to have expensive car payments. And partially because of those choices, they need to work when they are sick. And this causes a problem for employers. One of my assistants asked me what would happen if I got the virus and missed 3 weeks worth of work or died. And I answered, "Sucks for you". The truth of the matter is, that if I shut down for three weeks, I could handle it but she couldn't. I do need to get out the magnifying glass and check the exclusions on my business interruption insurance, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bevo said:

I agree with most of this but only partially agree with the last sentence. People choose to have debt, to buy iPhones, to buy Jordans, and to have expensive car payments. And partially because of those choices, they need to work when they are sick. And this causes a problem for employers. One of my assistants asked me what would happen if I got the virus and missed 3 weeks worth of work or died. And I answered, "Sucks for you". The truth of the matter is, that if I shut down for three weeks, I could handle it but she couldn't. I do need to get out the magnifying glass and check the exclusions on my business interruption insurance, though.

Our economic system is largely based on easy credit and long debt.  Your assistant is the norm, youre the exception.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

Teehee if you think anyone had the ability to keep this from becoming what it has become. And fuck Trump /noCR.

I believe the science that if you can slow the spread you can have the infection burn out.  Seems to me the Alfred E Neuman approach is risky and stupid.

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s right. Thousands will get a mild case and continue their daily lives because people are selfish. He’s framing it to downplay the overall severity of the problem, but he happens to be right.  I’ve been at work with people could barely stand and certainly couldn’t focus on a task, that had to be ordered home by a supervisor.  Why would this virus be any different?  

I agree with this and I think it’s already way more widespread than people think and lots of people have already had it and gotten over it, which is actually good news in the overall picture. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Loco said:

I believe the science that if you can slow the spread you can have the infection burn out.  Seems to me the Alfred E Neuman approach is risky and stupid.

Well when there is a multitude of asymptomatic people wandering around, it makes that infinitely difficult. But what do I know I'm no Alfred E Neuman.

Edited by MoJames
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

if youre over 60... good luck

According to Deblasio tweets this AM there is a 40 year old in NYC in ICU.  And of course, he's pleading with the govt to get them more test kits.   I've always assumed our federal govt was incompetent but this fiasco has taken that to a different level.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away