Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Some notes from today:

8 new cases in Iceland. Now it is going after the blondes.

First 4 cases in West Bank, Palestine. They are fucked.

2 new cases in Portugal. I thought I would be safe in the Azores.

China’s National Health Commission reports 5 new cases across the mainland, excluding Hubei province. Yeah, fuck China.

West Bank?  There’s screwed.   That’s a lot of people in a small area with inadequate healthcare.  

Seems like it’s starting to really ramp up in Europe.  I don’t know what the magic number is, but it feels like once you hit 20-25 new cases a day, things escalate substantially.   France, Spain, and Germany seem to be falling into that camp.   

China will drop way down at some point.  Too many people locked away.  

59 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

China is just going to close the book on this thing, claim victory and stop testing. I doubt we’d ever know if it flared up again there unless it became catastrophic. 

The Wuhan strain apparently was deadlier than what we are mostly seeing elsewhere.           Will be interesting to see if it pops up this fall.   

• Like 1

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cats already outta the bag. Cant put the toothpaste back in the tube

we had a chance to nip this in the bud 6-7 weeks ago and DID NOTHING. its too late to contain or minimize this thing.

if youre over 60... good luck

I finally got the bag of cotton balls and decided olive oil was the right oil?  It was olive oil for the cotton balls right?

hqdefault.jpg

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by zork

9 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Well when there is a multitude of asymptomatic people wandering around, it makes that infinitely difficult. But what do I know I'm no Alfred E Neuman.

It's only infinitely difficult if you decide not to test.  I think there is a clear contingent that pushes the "It's not a big deal, we probably all have it"  and the "it's so difficult to manage, why try?"

Those are the Alfred E Neumans...  What me worry?

Rumor:

So i was just told by a friend, who was told by his friend regarding his coworker, that the coworker was asked to stop coming to work until further notice.  The reason being is that coworker lives with his parents who were self quarantined after having traveled to China recently.  Where does this inconsiderate ass work, you ask?  The dude is a delivery driver for Sysco foods here in Htown.    

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Rumor:

So i was just told by a friend, who was told by his friend regarding his coworker, that the coworker was asked to stop coming to work until further notice.  The reason being is that coworker lives with his parents who were self quarantined after having traveled to China recently.  Where does this inconsiderate ass work, you ask?  The dude is a delivery driver for Sysco foods here in Htown.    

@closetojumping

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Personally I believe that testing for coronavirus is futile and perhaps even unnecessary. Most likely this is going to spread to a large percent of the globe and we're unable to stop it. Anyone that has flu-like symptoms should self-quarantine themselves as if they have the coronavirus. Schools and employers should also send people home.  And there should be clear understanding when you should head to a hospital.

Basically we should be educated by the health community and govt to understand how we should take care of ourselves until we can't.

If we were rational, and if most Americans could afford to self-quarantine, it would be great.   But we aren’t rational and most can’t afford it.  

So testing is needed.  It won’t stop it, but identifying it can help our healthcare system stay afloat.  

5 minutes ago, Loco said:

It's only infinitely difficult if you decide not to test.  I think there is a clear contingent that pushes the "It's not a big deal, we probably all have it"  and the "it's so difficult to manage, why try?"

Those are the Alfred E Neumans...  What me worry?

So the plan of action should've been immediately test everyone in China? or would you go with the World?

The other side of this equation is we are an infinitely selfish species that would not comply to everyone getting tested. This is apparent when you look at those attempting to leave quarantine early to the current guy in the oval office.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If we were rational, and if most Americans could afford to self-quarantine, it would be great.   But we aren’t rational and most can’t afford it.  

So testing is needed.  It won’t stop it, but identifying it can help our healthcare system stay afloat.  

I don't disagree but if people can't stay home if they suspect they have coronavirus, then they're not going to stay home regardless. "I'm really sick with something but my family needs my paycheck. cough cough."

Just now, StruggleBus said:

Everything we're seeing in Europe will be happening here, just with a few weeks lag time. At least we get to peak into the future a bit. 

So you're gonna sit there, straight-faced, and tell me they're going to cancel the Great London Book Fair hear in the US? Over my dead body.

1 hour ago, michaelpshayes said:

you can spew your political horse shit in that fucking retard zoo all you want ....freely

There is a metric fuckton of people that think "gee, I'm interested in politics. So you should be too and you need to hear my fucking rant about how my group is getting fucking screwed, man!!!" It's fucking nauseating. I find them to be the most boring people I interact with until I just start taking the opposite position of whatever they won't shut the fuck up about.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So the plan of action should've been immediately test everyone in China? or would you go with the World?

I'd be happier if we had made voluntary testing available (like SK) ...  Testing at immigration check points based on travel history and temp/ symptoms.   Testing for first responders, healthcare professionals...   Then chased any positives we found to isolate other potential asymptomatic cases.  Disclosure of cases by metro area so at risk folks can minimize (not eliminate risk)

Instead we did not prepare...  and the freedoms we enjoy will make it all the harder to get under control.    Fucking Florida has done everything in its power to keep tourist $$ flowing at the expense of public health.  Make no mistake those lawmakers will have blood/phlem? on their hands

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

The other side of this equation is we are an infinitely selfish species that would not comply to everyone getting tested. This is apparent when you look at those attempting to leave quarantine early to the current guy in the oval office.

Imo, the plan of action (should be) to crowdsource a response to buy time.  Get the public informed and involved in limiting the disease by promoting the CDC's prevention guidelines.

• Avoid those with symptoms
  • Wash your hands
  • Quit touching your face
  • Stay home when sick
  • Use a facemask if you are sick and have to venture out

Our government should help support and promote the above common sense actions that we can all take.  Obviously not everyone will, but the more people that do, the more time our healthcare system has to:

• Stand up care facilities needed to help the most seriously ill
  • Staff up personnel that will have to tend to the most seriously ill
  • Develop a vaccine

I don't disagree but if people can't stay home if they suspect they have coronavirus, then they're not going to stay home regardless. "I'm really sick with something but my family needs my paycheck. cough cough."

How many of the people that have no symptoms at all should stay home? How many of the people that live in areas like Austin and Houston where they deal with seasonal allergies that peak in February-March-April should assume they have the corona virus instead of being effected by the pollen onslaught they experience every year at this time? Fuck our government!

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There is a metric fuckton of people that think "gee, I'm interested in politics. So you should be too and you need to hear my fucking rant about how my group is getting fucking screwed, man!!!" It's fucking nauseating. I find them to be the most boring people I interact with until I just start taking the opposite position of whatever they won't shut the fuck up about.

Here's my rant about you are abusing that metric fuckton of people by discounting their political views.  They're getting fucking screwed, man!

11 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Everything we're seeing in Europe will be happening here, just with a few weeks lag time. At least we get to peak into the future a bit. 

Do I have sex with Kate Beckinsale?

• Haha 1

It would be interesting to see how many people in this thread interested in putting a significant amount of time/money into a Coronavirus Vaccination, have their Influenza Vaccination. Not that I'm opposed to putting resources into a Coronavirus Vaccination.

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

How many of the people that have no symptoms at all should stay home? How many of the people that live in areas like Austin and Houston where they deal with seasonal allergies that peak in February-March-April should assume they have the corona virus instead of being effected by the pollen onslaught they experience every year at this time? Fuck our government!

What if some mutant corona pollen develops?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I agree. Unfortunately, I am now in front of patients all day, so I have to just nod. At least it keeps the boring conversation short.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Personally I believe that testing for coronavirus is futile and perhaps even unnecessary. Most likely this is going to spread to a large percent of the globe and we're unable to stop it. Anyone that has flu-like symptoms should self-quarantine themselves as if they have the coronavirus. Schools and employers should also send people home.  And there should be clear understanding when you should head to a hospital.

Basically we should be educated by the health community and govt to understand how we should take care of ourselves until we can't.

If the timeline from being infected to being a transmitter is as long as it is beginning to look like then testing can shut down a lot of transmission.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

But, what if they want to talk about Tom Herman?

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

All good, imo.  It is a shame we can't just speak freely about this issue and our government's response to it, but alas.

the term "dotard" belong in the CR, not in the Coronavirus thread. 

this shouldn't be hard to understand.

there has been plenty of free discussion about this issue and the government's response here. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

If the timeline from being infected to being a transmitter is as long as it is beginning to look like then testing can shut down a lot of transmission.

And, really, the point of most of our efforts is not to completely stop the spread, but to attenuate it so that it occurs over a manageable period of time. 

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Imo, the plan of action (should be) to crowdsource a response to buy time.  Get the public informed and involved in limiting the disease by promoting the CDC's prevention guidelines.

• Avoid those with symptoms
  • Wash your hands
  • Quit touching your face
  • Stay home when sick
  • Use a facemask if you are sick and have to venture out

Our government should help support and promote the above common sense actions that we can all take.  Obviously not everyone will, but the more people that do, the more time our healthcare system has to:

• Stand up care facilities needed to help the most seriously ill
  • Staff up personnel that will have to tend to the most seriously ill
  • Develop a vaccine

GTFO with that shit. ‘Murica

• Haha 1

How often are we to test the asymptomatic?  Which asymptomatic are we to test?  These tests aren’t free  

if someone shows up to a clinic with symptoms and they get tested, a positive id does little to stop the spread as they’ve likely been contagious for days already, and may or may not self quarantine. 

Every bit helps throttle the spread I guess. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How often are we to test the asymptotic?  Which asymptotic are we to test?  These tests aren’t free  

if someone shows up to a clinic with symptoms and they get tested, a positive id does little to stop the spread as they’ve likely been contagious for days already, and may or may not self quarantine. 

If it really takes 5 days, or more, to become a transmitter you back track everyone a positive tester been in contact with during the previous week and start the testing there.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How often are we to test the asymptomatic?  Which asymptomatic are we to test?  These tests aren’t free  

Also, the profits of corporate America, and especially the healthcare sector, must remain the #1 priority. So, no, not only aren’t the tests free, but their cost must be very generously padded to preserve profits. God forbid that the government interfere with corporate America.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cats already outta the bag. Cant put the toothpaste back in the tube

we had a chance to nip this in the bud 6-7 weeks ago and DID NOTHING.

Abusive Behaviour: Mixed Metaphors

I acknowledge this warning

You must acknowledge this warning before posting again

Chinese Coronavirus

image.png.007e2f46ab99d012dfe4b736e987b68a.png

Warning issued by immamac

55 minutes ago

Penalty

• Given 1 points which will never expire.
  • Restricted from posting - 4 days and 11 hours

Note for member

People are more dexterous with toothpaste than cats

Edited by clapclapclap
I want to believe

36 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Have we had any solid proof that the London Book Fair is really cancelled, or what?

yes

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/mar/04/london-book-fair-cancelled-over-coronavirus-fears-amid-growing-anger

One of the world’s biggest international literary events, the London book fair, has been cancelled over coronavirus fears, amid growing anger that the delay in calling it off was putting people’s health at risk and an unfair financial strain on publishers.

Organiser Reed Exhibitions announced on Wednesday that the escalation of the illness meant the fair, scheduled to run from 10 to 12 March, would be called off. Around 25,000 publishers, authors and agents from around the world had been due to attend the event, where deals for the hottest new books are struck.

But the event was already set to be a ghost town when it opened its doors, after publishers and rights agencies began withdrawing en masse over the last week. Some of the world’s biggest, including Penguin Random House, HarperCollins and Hachette had already pulled out, as had Amazon and a host of literary agencies including Curtis Brown.

“We have been following UK government guidelines and working with the rolling advice from the public health authorities and other organisations, and so it is with reluctance that we have taken the decision not to go ahead with this year’s event,” said Reed.

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

the term "dotard" belong in the CR, not in the Coronavirus thread. 

this shouldn't be hard to understand.

there has been plenty of free discussion about this issue and the government's response here. 

You are right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

If it really takes 5 days, or more, to become a transmitter you back track everyone a positive tester been in contact with during the previous week and start the testing there.

Does that work?  Say in the last 5 days I was at work, at a grocery store, and at a bar/restaurant. Work is easy but the others do you just hold a pc and say if you were here on this day then get tested?  Is it a range of days after to account for surface survival?

• Like 1

I don't think there is a good method to contain the virus. Maybe widespread testing and attempt to corral anyone, that has contacted a virus carrier, might work. And I'm not saying to do nothing but I think every process has a lot of holes.

I am intrigued that China is reporting relatively few new cases as a percentage of previous cases. Either they're lying, or massive city-wide quarantines are the best option. And once again, I don't see how that would work in the US.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think there is a good method to contain the virus. Maybe widespread testing and attempt to corral anyone, that has contacted a virus carrier, might work. And I'm not saying to do nothing but I think every process has a lot of holes.

I am intrigued that China is reporting relatively few new cases as a percentage of previous cases. Either they're lying, or massive city-wide quarantines are the best option. And once again, I don't see how that would work in the US.

If Paul Blart came to my house and attempted to lock my wife and I in the house for fears of this spreading, Paul Blart would likely leave my house in an extra large ziplock with an extra hole in his head.  

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think China realized that the only way to stop the spread was to keep everyone away from everyone, and they have the means and power to do it. That’s how you close the holes. When our city streets are empty and our sick and dying are off in some corner in hastily erected 4 wall lean-tos, then we’ve done something. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away