Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I'm jealous of any country that's actually testing 

https://q13fox.com/2020/03/04/uw-medicine-develops-its-own-covid-19-test/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Seattle - UW Medicine has developed its own COVID-19 test and should be testing 1,000-1,500 people per day by the end of the week.

13 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

The good:

Upon first reading, the stupid in me took over.  For those stupids like me, mortality rate here includes everyone that has been tested.  So, big difference between this mortality rate vs. other mortality rates that only include those infected.  Very misleading unless I'm missing something.

Edited by Hmmm

5 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

SK: 32 deaths; 5200 cases = 0.6% cfr on 80,000 tests. 

thanks, that's a lot more clear than the article made it.  still unclear is of the 5200 cases, how many were diagnosed with Covid-19.  all?  i need to look up "cfr".  can't make sense of this math

Edited by Hmmm

14 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

SK: 32 deaths; 5200 cases = 0.6% cfr on 80,000 tests. 

Also saw something like 2,700 in SK are waitlisted for a hospital bed due to severity of illness and lack of space

Edited by triplehorn

1 minute ago, CleverNickname said:

Cfr is case fatality rate. Deaths per diagnosed case.

Todays total SK numbers are more like 37 deaths on 6008 cases. Still 0.6%. But if many of those cases are in first week, the deaths could quadruple and we are back in scary 2% zone. 

Some good statistics here, and advice.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/884d35/er-doctor-healthcare-workers-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR3XR9Ch6teJ84dwJmxBiAae-hl97K3KT1MoCaJeY0QPJjdRxyVwC4TpDf4

2 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Cfr is case fatality rate. Deaths per diagnosed case.

Todays total SK numbers are more like 37 deaths on 6008 cases. Still 0.6%. But if many of those cases are in first week, the deaths could quadruple and we are back in scary 2% zone. 

Right.  A good portion of the deaths will be delayed by a couple weeks compared to case count.  

The stats showing 10% requiring ICU is troubling.  We absolutely have to keep the total number of cases down or at least slow the spread down.  Once case count / 10 > respirator capacity, the CFR will start climbing.  

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Right.  A good portion of the deaths will be delayed by a couple weeks compared to case count.  

The stats showing 10% requiring ICU is troubling.  We absolutely have to keep the total number of cases down or at least slow the spread down.  Once case count / 10 > respirator capacity, the CFR will start climbing.  

There is nothing being done to keep the number of cases down. It’s going to explode. Period.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Has anyone been to brack, copper mountain, or keystone this week?  Or Denver airport?

The ski resorts should have live web cams that you can look at for crowd level. Otherwise try booking a rental car at the airport and see what the rate is as that would tell you a lot about both the airport and the resorts.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Add another. 

Flew into SJC yesterday. Immediately drove to our factory two hours away. Had planned to stay the night in San Jose but our meetings got wrapped up around lunchtime and I was able to catch the 4pm Southwest direct back tonight. Still likely all over this plane...and of course the passenger next to me is coughing. I’ve been pretty calm through this...but my travel from here on out is completely on hold.

Edited by Tailgate

Just watched Gov. Polis’s presser and he mentioned two separate individuals with presumptive positive test results. It sounds like the cases are unrelated. 

They’re related but no one has connected the dots yet. Which means there are unidentified dots out there.

38 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The ski resorts should have live web cams that you can look at for crowd level. Otherwise try booking a rental car at the airport and see what the rate is as that would tell you a lot about both the airport and the resorts.

Going next week ... hoping everyone stays away so we can have shorter lines.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away